PDA

View Full Version : Favorite moments on Hard Knocks.

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 10:09 PM
No poll necessary. Let us recount the best moments on the single best television special to ever have graced the Chiefs' fanbase.

As always, me first. This is not a comprehensive list. A slow-motion shot of Greg Wesley and Boomer Grigsby laying into each other behind the line of scrimmage. G-Wes is throwing a vicious forearm into Boomer, who's laying into Wesley with every ounce of strength he's got. You could practically feel the contact. The enjoyable and logical friendships formed throughout the team. Bowe & Sippio. Brackenridge & Patterson. Gonzalez & Dunn. Allen & Boomer. Tank & Turk. People matched not only in personality, but in their stations in life and on this team. Gunther Cunningham: "**** Family Night." A majestic fast-motion still-cam shot from the top of the Brown's stadium during the preseason game in Cleveland. Recapping the entire evening from coin toss to the final whistle, it was played in super-fast forward over a timespan of about five seconds. You watched both teams move the ball all over the field with the fans filing in and out of their seats, the surrounding sky slowly dimming into night. It was profound to me: these are the things men do, and we are the people who enjoy it. The short & sweet recap of Krumrie's NFL career. I was not an NFL fan during the years of Krumrie's dominance at NT on the Super Bowl Bengals, but watching those few moments made me wish I had. On the field, Krumrie was a block of granite with 10,000 volts shot through it. Watching his coach moments before the Super Bowl tell Krumrie he trusted them to keep his DL grinding all game was inspiring; Krumrie The Player was larger than life, and I could sense that. Larry Johnson, returning to the practice field before the ink on his new contract even dried, receives a ball in the flat and rushes down the field, away from the camera. Slow motion, fade to black.
More to come, I'm sure.

KCChiefsMan
09-05-2007, 10:11 PM
no hot wives?

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah no.

Rasputin
Mrs. Croyle :drool:

Hammock Parties
Larry Johnson, returning to the practice field before the ink on his new contract even dried, receives a ball in the flat and rushes down the field, away from the camera. Slow motion, fade to black. [/list]

This was it for me. It moved me to tears.

A close second was Brodie's drive against the Dolphins, with the dramatic music. Great stuff.

Nzoner
09-05-2007, 10:13 PM
"let's get some milk and go back to the room and listen to Skynyrd."

big nasty kcnut
09-05-2007, 10:14 PM
october and kellie make me go beyyaaahhh.

L.A. Chieffan
09-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Flying overhead shots of Arrowhead, LJ's contract signing, pretty much any scene with Gunther

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 10:15 PM
This was it for me. It moved me to tears.

A close second was Brodie's drive against the Dolphins, with the dramatic music. Great stuff.
Ah. Reminds me of another great moment. As the music builds to a climax, Saints RB Deuce McAlister runs into a wall of red, spearheaded right through the heart of the OL by Tank Tyler, and soon Hali, Edwards, Harris, and Page are pile driving him into the five-yeard line. A cymbal clash signifies Tank landing the first hit on McAlister, a hit which completely negated his forward momentum and killed the Saints' drive at the 1.

big nasty kcnut
09-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I like the teaching of gunther on the defense. If you do that again tank i'll fing strangle you.

Rain Man
09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
This...is what home field advantage looks like."

Stinger
"THIS...IS WHAT HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE LOOKS LIKE."

Still gets me going even after watching it not sure how many times.

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://smg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Arrowhead_intro.flv"></embed>

Direckshun
I like the teaching of gunther on the defense. If you do that again tank i'll fing strangle you.
Tank in the dorms later: "You know I enjoy all our conversations, coach."

Zouk
09-05-2007, 10:23 PM
The opening sequence of the first episode with Herm running the steps, Brodie and Turk packing, and Carl at the desk was beautifully done I thought.

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Herm Edwards moments: Delivering an impassioned speech to the defense the night before the first preseason game in Cleveland, Herm demands that any player with a one-on-one win his matchup. He concludes by saying: "Tomorrow night, when we go to Cleveland? That's exactly what we're going to do. Win." And without another breath, he immediately walks out of the room. "Do NOT be afraid to be great." Herm rides Dwayne Bowe, instructing him to get him donuts at Krispy Kreme -- and the sign outside of the Krispy Kreme's "gotta say 'hot,' it's gotta say 'hot'!" Herm doing sprints at River Falls at god knows how early in the morning.

TEX
09-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Gunther Cunningham: "**** Family Night."

ROFL CLASSIC!

Deberg_1990
09-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Any moment with Carl. I cant get enough of that guy.

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Dick Vermeil talking to Herm Edwards about Priest Holmes, as the two talk in the privacy of Edwards' office. The whole monologue is just priceless. "I asked him where he was, and he told me 82%. Now, not 75, not 80, not 85, 90 -- 82%. And you know what? I walked away saying 'he's at 82%,' because he's never been wrong about his physical condition. He knows himself better than any player I've ever coached." Carl Peterson and Trent Green meet briefly before the Dolphins game. The camera focuses on the two of them standing isolated in the middle of the field. Trent tells Carl he hasn't sold his home in Kansas City, and Carl reassures him that when Trent's done playing, "in another five years," that there'd be a place for him with the Chiefs.

Hammock Parties
09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
I think I'm gonna get all five episodes and just cut out the clips of Gunther raving like a loon and put them together.

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Sadder moments on Hard Knocks. Mike Pinkard coming to a teary-eyed realization with Ray Farmer that he's done chasing the dream. Priest Holmes, unable to even interact on the field with the rest of the team, is forced to merely shadow RB movement 20 yards removed from the action. Casey Printers' debate with Ray Farmer, and the realization that he did literally everything he was asked and performed at the best of his ability, and yet he continues to spin his wheels with the Chiefs. Croyle's complete and utter despondency as his wife does everything she can to remain positive in an on-camera interview about Brodie losing the QB job to Damon.

Hammock Parties
09-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Oh, this was a great moment for sure:

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7484/me2fk0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Buehler445
09-05-2007, 10:33 PM
This show is crammed full of excellent camera angles. "This is homefield" advantage is bloody amazing. by far my favorite moment.

This season of Hard Knocks captures much more emotion than any of the other series. The camera was definitely able to capture the disappointment of cut players. In the past, I've found that section very boring. The animated Casey Printers helped the cause.:)

Another of my favorite moments was listening to Brackenridge and Patterson talk about their positions. It may have been coached, but it seemed like the two kids knew what was at steak, and had an amazing attitude through the whole thing. It was nice to see good people making it in the NFL. I became fans of those two kids.

I also enjoyed the Boomer story. He may not pan out as a FB, but I like this guy. And damn he hits hard. I like his attitude and hope he pans out.

The first episode with Herm running stairs was very well done. I very much enjoyed that scene.

I especially liked the fact that in today's episode they focused on the whiteboard that had the name of the Oakland "mistakenly" released. I laughed out loud. Stupid Raiders.

Rasputin
09-05-2007, 10:33 PM
I liked getting to know Kyle Turley. Before I really didn't care much for him, and now I really like him. I'm glad he is on our team. He's a real good teamate to have and I think he is going to do a good job for us this year. Kyle Turley added some weight and has improved over his play last year.

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Another of my favorite moments was listening to Brackenridge and Patterson talk about their positions. It may have been coached, but it seemed like the two kids knew what was at steak, and had an amazing attitude through the whole thing. It was nice to see good people making it in the NFL. I became fans of those two kids.
Patterson and Brackenridge, likely competing for the exact same roster spot, dine together and sit across the table from one another, telling the camera that focusing on who you're competing against is counterproductive -- that you have to worry about yourself and getting your job done in order to improve and be successful.

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I liked getting to know Kyle Turley. Before I really didn't care much for him, and now I really like him. I'm glad he is on our team. He's a real good teamate to have and I think he is going to do a good job for us this year. Kyle Turley added some weight and has improved over his play last year.
The "KC Helmet Drawer."

Skip Towne
09-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Boomer could kick LJ's ass in about two seconds. He's got 20 lbs. on LJ and is much stronger.

leviw
09-05-2007, 10:45 PM
-Direckshun's attempt to write like an NFL Films narrator speaks.

It was profound to me: these are the things men do, and we are the people who enjoy it.

luv
09-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Anything having to do with Gunther. LMAO

Hammock Parties
09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Anything having to do with Gunther. LMAO

I think "**** family fun night" should be the new Arrowhead touchdown chant.

I'm gonna yell it every time we make a big defensive play.

teedubya
09-05-2007, 10:48 PM

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://smg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Arrowhead_intro.flv"></embed>

man, this needs to be shown before every home game. That is awesome.

Rasputin
09-05-2007, 10:56 PM
The "KC Helmet Drawer."

:arrow:

Ceej
09-05-2007, 10:58 PM
That flyover Arrowhead is SICK. Goooosebumps.

I enjoyed evey scene with Tank and Turk.

Direckshun
09-05-2007, 11:00 PM
-Direckshun's attempt to write like an NFL Films narrator speaks.
Hey, it was a great series. I'm allowed to wax poetic.

dtebbe
09-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Croyle's complete and utter despondency as his wife does everything she can to remain positive in an on-camera interview about Brodie losing the QB job to Damon.[/list]

He was just playing sad puppy so he could hit it later....

Smart kid!

DT

Smed1065
09-05-2007, 11:08 PM
My favorite was the attitude of the underdogs versus known starters.

The other thing that stood out was the camaraderie of the players vying for the same roster spot regardless that they were competitors.

Saccopoo
09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Tank, looking genuinely despondant that the corn field was picked clean, peers at the camera with a Forrest Gumpian back-country honesty and asks:

"I wonder if they got any peas 'round here?"

Also, Tank making his stand on the goal line, calling his shot

"I'm claiming it!"

and actually doing just that by blowing up the first team O line and slamming McAllister back.

When's the last time we had a defensive tackle with that type of mentality and drive and skills to back it up. I love this guy.

And Gunther was a football version of Al Swearigan. He filled my Deadwood vulgarity void perfectly.

Hammock Parties
09-05-2007, 11:25 PM
The interesting thing about Tank is that he appears to be a guy who has the physical skills to dominate at the point of attack...and yet on the practice field (see, squid/squint etc etc) he appears clueless as to the mental part of the game needed (Turk appears to be the opposite). If he can get the mental part of his game in shape, he has potential to be truly scary.

In short, Rain Man should be GM.

pikesome
09-05-2007, 11:38 PM
How about the off-handed way Allen tells Turk?/Tank? to just kick em in the nuts. Nice and businesslike.

teedubya
09-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Carl trying to get money from George Bush, was a good one.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-05-2007, 11:44 PM

YES.

blueprint
09-05-2007, 11:52 PM
He shouldnt of been cut!!!!

ChiefaRoo
09-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Tank, looking genuinely despondant that the corn field was picked clean, peers at the camera with a Forrest Gumpian back-country honesty and asks:

"I wonder if they got any peas 'round here?"

Also, Tank making his stand on the goal line, calling his shot

"I'm claiming it!"

and actually doing just that by blowing up the first team O line and slamming McAllister back.

When's the last time we had a defensive tackle with that type of mentality and drive and skills to back it up. I love this guy.

And Gunther was a football version of Al Swearigan. He filled my Deadwood vulgarity void perfectly.

Dan Saleaumua

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Tank snoring. Kelli Croyle's rack, and everything with Gunther.

Son..of..a..bitch

KCwolf
09-06-2007, 01:36 AM
He shouldnt of been cut!!!!

I'm with ya......I was rootin hard for him and he had a great camp and better pre-season. This cockhole Drummond better produce, because he didn't earn shit.

dtebbe
09-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Gunter "Fuc&ing" Cunningham

He said something about either you guys are going to play well or I'm going to have a f-ing heart attack... then he said something really funny as the punch line, but I forgot what it was. Senior moment, I suppose.

DT

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Gunter "Fuc&ing" Cunningham

He said something about either you guys are going to play well or I'm going to have a f-ing heart attack... then he said something really funny as the punch line, but I forgot what it was. Senior moment, I suppose.

DT

"And I ain't about to have a f*cking heart attack."

dtebbe
09-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Tank snoring. Kelli Croyle's rack, and everything with Gunther.

Son..of..a..bitch

I swear to god, at that moment gunther looked exactly like I do about 15 times or so during any chiefs game.

DT

Baby Lee
09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I think I'm gonna get all five episodes and just cut out the clips of Gunther raving like a loon and put them together.
Awww, Ah gawt terbaccy all ovah mah playbook!!

tooge
09-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Turk, "For a lion yo....Nala aint bad"

The Franchise
09-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I really felt bad for Phinisee last night....Jesus.

Alton deFlat
09-06-2007, 01:45 PM
I really felt bad for Phinisee last night....Jesus.

Yea, you really had to feel for the guy... and when Sippio called his dad and said, "I'm on the 53 man roster."
Tank and Turk at Nebraska Furniture Mart was classic. Those two could have a sitcom if things don't work out in football... but the flyover was my favorite thing about the whole show.

NUMBER7
09-06-2007, 01:48 PM
The best next to Gun and Krumrie
1#) Ray Farmer telling Printers he should have made chicken salad out of chicken shit.