PDA

View Full Version : Edwards Must Stay The Course

Hammock Parties
09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/677766.html

Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards was obviously upset after the Texans whipped Kansas City on Sunday. His team failed to play the brand of football he’s been advocating since the first day of camp.

Setting aside all the critical aspects of Sunday’s opening day loss in Houston, a football team isn’t rebuilt in a day. And let’s face it, there are still some building blocks to assemble in Kansas City before this team can even think about the playoffs.

This week Edwards will be tempted to make a few changes. One of them will be at kicker, while the other might be at quarterback. Those questions are going to linger with each loss this season.

With Kansas City bringing in seven kickers last week, the writing might be on the wall for Justin Medlock. He has the leg and can kick the leather out of the ball, but his mechanics are awful.

Punter Dustin Colquitt talked about it in our Out of Bounds Podcast on Monday. Medlock is simply unable to carry out any sort of repetition from kick to kick. There’s no consistency in his approach.

And JP Darche is all over the board on his snaps. On Medlock’s first miss in Houston, the ball was rocketed back to Colquitt, who couldn’t get the laces turned around.

Medlock panicked and was worried Colquitt didn’t get the laces turned, so he hit the ball with a heavy foot and didn’t follow through, as he needed to. That’s a rookie for you.

Edwards has experience in this situation, as he stayed patient with Jets kicker Mike Nugent after he struggled back in 2005. He stuck with him and it paid off, because eventually Nugent became a solid kicker.

With the likes of Jon Carney still on the market, you have to wonder if Edwards will get the itch to bring him in for another look.

But the kicker decision pales in comparison with the one Herm’s going to have to make at the quarterback position. If anyone thought this topic was dead, they’re wrong.

Edwards had ample reasons to start Huard over Brodie Croyle, but I’m not sure it really matters if the veteran continues to play like he did Sunday.

For the most part the offensive line was stellar. I thought Damion McIntosh was outstanding, and Kyle Turley was equally effective. The interior of the line had a few breakdowns, but Huard was the benefactor of solid enough line play that he could have made better decisions with the ball.

Huard, who tweaked his leg again in the loss on Sunday, was confined to the pocket. He wasn’t able to move outside of the hash marks.

On the other side, you saw Texans quarterback Matt Schaub show some mobility. He wasn’t John Elway by any stretch of the imagination, but he did just enough to keep the Chiefs defense guessing.

The way Schaub ran Houston’s offense is how Huard must run KC’s offense. Schaub’s homerun ball to wide receiver Andre Johnson changed the way Kansas City played defense the rest of the game. No quarterback will have any success in this league unless they throw the ball down the field.

Huard did that last year when he went 5-3 as a starter. Right now, it’s missing.

Edwards will be tempted to bring Croyle into the equation. Huard has to regain his form of a year ago, because once Edwards gives the ball to Croyle, it’ll be his for the remainder of the season and then some.

The head coach can’t panic, but another loss in Chicago could give reason to change both of these positions, provided Medlock and Huard continue to play the way they did against in Houston.

Edwards showed patience last season. It might not be so easy this year.

Mecca
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
"another loss in Chicago" if it's just a loss that would be nice it will probably be a total ass raping.

FRCDFED
09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Many on here thought that Huard got the nod to start the season to avoid Croyle going up against some of the top defenses. It may be an attempt to create a strong sense of confidence by avoiding exposing Croyle and bring him in mid season.

Deberg_1990
09-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Herm cant continue to stick with a QB who cant score TD's. Its just that simple.

Good points about Huards lack of mobility to get out of the pocket. Hes dead weight back there. A QB in todays game has to be able to get out of the pocket and make a few key plays a game.

el borracho
09-09-2007, 09:54 PM
I estimate less than 15% chance of defeating the Bears next Sunday and I predict we don't change QBs yet unless there is an "injury."

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-09-2007, 10:03 PM
borracho, put a decimal between the 1 and the 5 and you are right on.

InChiefsHeaven
09-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling that nasty calf "injury" of Huards will flare up if we lose next week. Then Herm will "have" to go with Croyle.

Did we even see Huard attempt a long ball? I think the longest was the throw to Bowe for like 25 yards...

DomerNKC
09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Quit trying to understand herm, just fire him already.

Coach
09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Edwards Must Abort. Hangs self.

BigRock
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
If/When Huard gets benched, it'll be after week 4. Then Croyle gets the stretch of games where they play 6 of 8 at Arrowhead.

Thig Lyfe
09-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Let's trade a first rounder for Tony Romo.

OctoberFart
09-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I am glad KC skipped Crosby(best kicking prospect to come out since Nugent) for Medlock. Paging Mike V.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-09-2007, 10:15 PM
You know what I love...that the official propaganda rag of 1 Arrowhead is already telling us to stay the course.

What a crock of rat shit.

DaneMcCloud
09-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Let's trade a first rounder for Tony Romo.

Uh, you do know that Tony Romo sat on the bench being "groomed" for nearly 4 years before starting, right?

For a bunch of fans who say they're "educated" about football, they sure don't know much about the NFL.

baitism
09-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Honestly, if I had to do a life or death bet on whether the Chiefs would score an offensive TD next week, I would say they wouldn't.

Thig Lyfe
09-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Uh, you do know that Tony Romo sat on the bench being "groomed" for nearly 4 years before starting, right?

For a bunch of fans who say they're "educated" about football, they sure don't know much about the NFL.

Uh, you do know what a joke is, right?

ChiefsCountry
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM

Romo was an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Illinois, an I-AA school in the crappy OVC.

LanceHunter
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
I thought Huard was only executing the Genius Solari's gameplan, he seemed very upset a few times going to the sideline, wish i could have heard what he said. How did Solari end up as the OC? At KU he was the DC, and stunk just as bad as now lol.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2007, 11:05 PM
At KU he was the DC, and stunk just as bad as now lol.

Solar was the OL coach at KU. He has been an OL coach at most of his coaching stops.

I don't think you can blame him today. The players were not executing. It is pretty bad when the Chiefs are running the two minute offense, get great protection, a perfect route and a perfect throw, and the wide receiver bats the pass into the air and it gets picked.

boogblaster
09-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Play calling in the 2nd half killed us..poor playing killed us ..the D spent too much time on the field..plus Schaub is pretty good QB ....

Skip Towne
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Very eloquent.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2007, 11:20 PM
You know what I love...that the official propaganda rag of 1 Arrowhead is already telling us to stay the course.

I believe the article was calling for HERM to stay the course. A knee jerk reaction on Huard or Medlock right now isn't in the best interests of the team.

chuxtrux
09-09-2007, 11:34 PM
We need to bring in Casey Printers and run the option. DAMNIT JIMMY RAYE

RustShack
09-09-2007, 11:40 PM
I say put in Croyle, keep Medlock, let them play it out. If we have a bad season, at least our young guys get alot of experiance and we can draft a Tackle, WR, or whatever position we may need.

banyon
09-09-2007, 11:48 PM

you would think that we won the game from what they posted:

ChiefsCountry
09-09-2007, 11:52 PM

What are you going to do post bad crap about your organization on your own website. Would you do that at your work?

Deberg_1990
09-09-2007, 11:53 PM

The SPIN on the bus goes round and round, round and round......

banyon
09-09-2007, 11:56 PM
What are you going to do post bad crap about your organization on your own website. Would you do that at your work?

If we lose, I don't try to lie about it.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Hamas is talking about Warpaint Illustrated. He thinks we are a propaganda/spin machine for the Chiefs. There's an element of truth to that (Nick likes to grease the wheels, it's good for our business), but he's never censored anything I've written. I've ripped them in the past.

shrek6849
09-10-2007, 12:02 AM
You are morphing into Rufus Dawes at a rapid pace.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2007, 12:06 AM

This column might make you think otherwise:

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/661689.html

DaneMcCloud
09-10-2007, 12:21 AM

Better to be a homer than a whiny-ass bitch who's only purpose on this forum is to complain.

cookster50
09-10-2007, 06:00 AM
I believe the article was calling for HERM to stay the course. A knee jerk reaction on Huard or Medlock right now isn't in the best interests of the team.
I believe the article was written by a moron and should thus be ignored.