PDA

View Full Version : Philip Rivers

penguinz
09-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Why does all the national media sniff this guys jock so much? He is barely above average.

el borracho
09-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Because he was 14-2 in his first year as a starter and is 1-0 this year against the defending NFC champs.

Mile High Mania
09-10-2007, 07:29 AM
He's hiding behind LT... LT and Gates are that offense. I think VJ has huge upside, as does Davis.. but they have no real threat at WR just yet.

penguinz
09-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Because he was 14-2 in his first year as a starter and is 1-0 this year against the defending NFC champs.That has nothing to do with his average play. Even GoChiefs could win 8 games with that O.

HonestChieffan
09-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Cause hes really good. And he plays on a really good team.

el borracho
09-10-2007, 07:34 AM
You don't have to like it but my answer remains the same: the media likes winners.

penguinz
09-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Cause hes really good. And he plays on a really good team.
He is not really good. That was the whole point behind this thread. He is a step above average at best.

HonestChieffan
09-10-2007, 07:36 AM
and on what basis would you make such a statement?

penguinz
09-10-2007, 07:40 AM
and on what basis would you make such a statement?
Have you watched him play?

HonestChieffan
09-10-2007, 07:41 AM
yes. Thus my question.

penguinz
09-10-2007, 07:45 AM
yes. Thus my question.He had basically the same game yesterday that Damon Huard had stats wise. He has a much better O around him. He was a big reason they lost their playoff game last year. He has had 4 250+ yard passing games. His completion % was 1 point higher than Huard last season. Do I need to continue?

el borracho
09-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Have you watched him play?
Get to the part where you make a point, already. What specifically don't you like about Rivers?

penguinz
09-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Get to the part where you make a point, already. What specifically don't you like about Rivers?
Read the post before this one. He is an average QB yet gets treated like he is a top tier QB.

el borracho
09-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Rivers was not the reason the Chargers lost the playoff game last year- the Chargers receivers were responsible for that. Dropped passes, stepping out the back of the endzone instead of sticking the back foot, fumbling the ball away. Rivers did enough to win that playoff game last year.

penguinz
09-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Rivers was not the reason the Chargers lost the playoff game last year- the Chargers receivers were responsible for that. Dropped passes, stepping out the back of the endzone instead of sticking the back foot, fumbling the ball away. Rivers did enough to win that playoff game last year.
He made several bad throws.

el borracho
09-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Huard had a phenomenal season last year. If Rivers did better than Huard in any category last year then he also did a phenomenal job. As far as yesterday, the performances were not equal. Huard had far less yards per pass than Rivers and threw an extra interception. I guess one could argue that one of the interceptions was not Huards fault but Huard throws so many high/low/uncatchable balls that get his receivers killed that I think we ought to credit him with the turnover anyway.

el borracho
09-10-2007, 07:56 AM
He made several bad throws.
Well, I'm not sure why you care so much but I think we are just going to disagree on this. Rivers may or may not be elite but he is definitely doing his job and he is winning. He certainly isn't costing his team any opportunities.

BreesLightning
09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Let's see, Rivers VS. Bears defense.

Huard VS. Texans defense.

Yup, those Texans are sure known for their tough D.

Chargers=win

Chiefs=loss

According to most chiefs fans LJ=Tomlinson

TG>Gates

You certainly do make tons of sense Penguinz.

Loser.

Simply Red
09-10-2007, 09:29 AM

Chargers=win

Chiefs=loss

TG>Gates

Loser.

Wrong. We mostly all agree that LJ isn't LT pretty clear there.
We mostly all agree that TG>AG

BTW, you don't have to be a rude asshole.

el borracho
09-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Chargers=win

Chiefs=loss

TG>Gates

Loser.
Being wrong > being a dickhead

caffeinated_virus
09-10-2007, 09:31 AM
He is not really good. That was the whole point behind this thread. He is a step above average at best.

I am still waiting for your analysis of why Rivers is so bad and not a good QB. The only thing you have said is that he has made bad throws. You are going to need to do better than that.

Rivers had a good game yesterday and beat the defending NFC Champs. He was 22/31 for about 200 yards...he had 5 dropped passes so his stats should have been better.

The Bears stopped and LT and made Rivers throw the ball, which he did efficiently.

Waiting for your your answer.

CoMoChief
09-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Read the post before this one. He is an average QB yet gets treated like he is a top tier QB.
What makes him avg?

Deberg_1990
09-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Hes not Peyton Manning, but who is?? hes a very good QB. Wish the Chiefs had him.

CoMoChief
09-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Last season he had a 22/9 TD/INT ratio and threw for about 3400 yds and led his team to a first week bye in the AFC playoffs. What more do you want from the guy? Those stats do NOT make him just avg.

Amnorix
09-10-2007, 09:47 AM
He's quite good. The only relevant question, really, is whether he's as good as Drew Brees. I would've said no, but Brees wasn't very impressive against the Colts either, though I think that was partly poor game planning as well.

Look: Manning/Brady >x10 everyone else in NFL

Is Rivers a HOFer? No, but he's young and seems to be coming along nice. And it's ridiculous to blame him for the Chargers losing to NE last year. Wasn't his fault. Was he perfect that game? No, but he was good enough to win. The breakdowns were elsewhere, mainly. Drops by receivers, etc.

Reerun_KC
09-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Beacuse his Coach and GM are complete fags and believe in developing the guy through game day situations...

Our GM and HC are too busy butt****ing eachother to notice we suck ass..

penguinz
09-10-2007, 10:01 AM
He had a good first half last season and since has been mediocre. Is he better than what we have. Definitely. Is he a top tier QB. Far from it. All I am saying is that he is not deserving of all the praise the media gives him.

BreesLightning
09-10-2007, 10:37 AM
He had a good first half last season and since has been mediocre. Is he better than what we have. Definitely. Is he a top tier QB. Far from it. All I am saying is that he is not deserving of all the praise the media gives him.

15-2 lifetime is mediocre? You're right, what you say just makes sense.

No further explanation needed.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
don't we have enough stuff to worry about of our own?

why worry about whether another team's QB is getting the right PR?

KevB
09-10-2007, 10:42 AM

I'd put him in a second tier of QB's (behind Manning/Brady), which is about what his perception is in the national media.

Bill S Preston
09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Who gives a ****? We have **** Damon Huard.

caffeinated_virus
09-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Last season he had a 22/9 TD/INT ratio and threw for about 3400 yds and led his team to a first week bye in the AFC playoffs. What more do you want from the guy? Those stats do NOT make him just avg.

Us Charger fans are very high expectations this year from Rivers. With Norv Turner being brought in, should help Rivers improve all around.

Couple of things that I really like about Rivers and what he brings to the Chargers offense.

-Spreads the ball around. Gates is our #1 target right now. I hope our WR step it up.

-Very accurate throws. Norv Turner has been quoted as saying "Rivers is the most accurate thrower he has seen."

-Love his moxy and competitiveness he brings to the team. Our whole team feeds off that. He is a leader.

Should be a good year. :)

CoMoChief
09-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Us Charger fans are very high expectations this year from Rivers. With Norv Turner being brought in, should help Rivers improve all around.

Couple of things that I really like about Rivers and what he brings to the Chargers offense.

-Spreads the ball around. Gates is our #1 target right now. I hope our WR step it up.

-Very accurate throws. Norv Turner has been quoted as saying "Rivers is the most accurate thrower he has seen."

-Love his moxy and competitiveness he brings to the team. Our whole team feeds off that. He is a leader.

Should be a good year. :)
I could really give a shit about the Chargers or Rivers, my post was just responding to the dumbass that started this thread. Didn't really need your offesive overview of what the Chargers season should be like.

penguinz
09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
I could really give a shit about the Chargers or Rivers, my post was just responding to the dumbass that started this thread. Didn't really need your offesive overview of what the Chargers season should be like.
ROFL Some antifreeze may make you feel better.

kcxiv
09-10-2007, 12:11 PM
You don't have to like it but my answer remains the same: the media likes winners.
What he said.

caffeinated_virus
09-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Don't get your panties in a bundle now. :)

Buck
09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Rivers had 2 bad throws yesterday, the WRs/RBs had 7 drops...

He was 22-31 for 190 yards. So had we not dropped any passes he would have been 29-31 for 250+ yards and a TD.

He played a pretty damn good game yesterday against a great D if you ask me.

Buck
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
15-2 lifetime is mediocre? You're right, what you say just makes sense.

No further explanation needed.

Technically 15-3

BigMeatballDave
09-10-2007, 07:10 PM
He's OK. If that O has a chink in its armor, its him...

The Bad Guy
09-10-2007, 07:11 PM
The same people saying Rivers is mediocre are the same ones saying how good Brodie Croyle will be.

Buck
09-10-2007, 07:13 PM
The only thing I don't like about Rivers is sometimes he can be a dick to the other teams fans.

He's just like Milton Bradley. I always hated him when he was on other teams because of what he did to their fans, then he joined our team and everyone is like, "Oh hes so cool!!!"

I just dont like the way that either of them do that shit. Very unclassy.

88TG88
09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
The same people saying Rivers is mediocre are the same ones saying how good Brodie Croyle will be.
unfortunately true

BigMeatballDave
09-10-2007, 07:19 PM
The same people saying Rivers is mediocre are the same ones saying how good Brodie Croyle will be.Gee, I am sorry, GOD. I should've summoned you opinion 1st...
:rolleyes:

BigMeatballDave
09-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Remove Gates and LT from that team, then tell me how well he performs...

Mecca
09-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Rivers will benefit from Norv Turner he's great with QB's. Guys a solid solid QB, I expect him to develop a lot more this year.

Also anyone that still thinks Gonzalez is better than Gates should have their head checked.

Mecca
09-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Remove Gates and LT from that team, then tell me how well he performs...

Yea let's take his best players away.......I'm sure any QB would be good with nothing around them huh.

BigMeatballDave
09-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Yea let's take his best players away.......I'm sure any QB would be good with nothing around them huh.A great QB makes player around him great. Brady, Elway, Montana.

BigMeatballDave
09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
I am not saying the guy stinks, I am simply implying he has a GREAT supporting cast.

Buck
09-10-2007, 07:33 PM
A great QB makes player around him great. Brady, Elway, Montana.

Im pretty sure they all had kickass O Lines

So does SD.

Basileus777
09-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Rivers benefits from his supporting cast just as much as Roethlisberger did his first 2 years in the league. He is really in the same situation as Ben during those years.

BigMeatballDave
09-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Im pretty sure they all had kickass O Lines

So does SD.Seriously, Elway had CRAP and had success. Same with Brady, NO key players on O. Don't get me wrong, Rivers is a good QB, No doubt.