PDA

View Full Version : Just a note about Medlock

Lzen
09-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Listening to 610 after the game and I kept hearing things about Medlock. One called insinuated that Carl and Dick (yes, he mentioned Vermeil even though he isn't there now) drafted Medlock because of their UCLA ties. Another said Medlock missed 11 FGs last year. He said that's 1 miss per game. Yeah, if that were true I could have questioned the Chiefs on drafting him. The facts are Medlock was 28 out of 32 FGs last year. That's very, very good.

Now don't get me wrong. I think that what we've seen out of this guy as a Chief is anything but good. Hell, I don't care if we dump him today and find another kicker. My point is that the Chiefs didn't make a mistake by drafting this guy. Sure, Crosby had a much better debut. Hindsight is 20/20. We don't know what's going on in these guys' heads. It seems obvious that he has lost some confidence. That happens sometimes and there is little a team could do(or could have done prior to drafting) to foresee this.

BTW, here is the NCAA's website link to Medlock's stats:
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2006&org=110&player=0G

HonestChieffan
09-10-2007, 07:35 AM
I feel much relieved. Thanks for that. I cant hit a golf ball much less imagine what kicking field goals is like.

Silock
09-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Medlock is fine. It's just simple mechanics. There's something wrong with his plant foot, causing him to turn his hips wrong.

Any competent kicking coach can easily remedy this. Now, where can we find one of those?

Lzen
09-10-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't know if it's something mechanical. I just assumed it is something going on mentally more than anything. If this guy can get over that, perhaps he can still be an NFL kicker. If not, move on.

FringeNC
09-10-2007, 08:10 AM
What difference does it make it he misses FGs this year? May as well try to groom him given that he has a strong leg. Same logic that applies to letting Croyle develop applies to Medlock.

Chief Chief
09-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Since the offense wasn't putting the ball in the end zone: Even if he had made that 30-yarder yesterday, he would have had to have kicked a total of 6 more successful ones for the Chiefs to top Houston's 20 points.

Planetman
09-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Medlock is fine.
That statement is inaccurate.

Fine
1. being satisfactory or in satisfactory condition; "an all-right movie"; "the passengers were shaken up but are all right"; "is everything all right?"; "everything's fine"; "things are okay"; "dinner and the movies had been fine"; "another minute I'd have been fine" [syn: all right]

If Medlock were fine, he would have split the uprights with that first kick and not missed a ton of FGs in the preseason.

Medlock is not "fine." He has problems.

KC Jones
09-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Any competent kicking coach can easily remedy this. Now, where can we find one of those?

bah... we can just put Dick Curl on it. He can fix anything - clock management, QBs... anything.

Bugeater
09-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Since the offense wasn't putting the ball in the end zone: Even if he had made that 30-yarder yesterday, he would have had to have kicked a total of 6 more successful ones for the Chiefs to top Houston's 20 points.
No shit, I'm far more concerned on our inability to punch the ball in than some idiot kicker.

Silock
09-10-2007, 09:11 AM
That statement is inaccurate.

Fine
1. being satisfactory or in satisfactory condition; "an all-right movie"; "the passengers were shaken up but are all right"; "is everything all right?"; "everything's fine"; "things are okay"; "dinner and the movies had been fine"; "another minute I'd have been fine" [syn: all right]

If Medlock were fine, he would have split the uprights with that first kick and not missed a ton of FGs in the preseason.

Medlock is not "fine." He has problems.

He's fine, because even if he made that FG, it wouldn't have given us a win. If you think Medlock is what's wrong with this team, then you're not fine.

Lzen
09-10-2007, 09:11 AM

I never said he would have made the outcome of the game any different. My concern all preseason has been when we get into a tight game.

oldandslow
09-10-2007, 09:32 AM
The problem is that the Chiefs broke a very solid draft rule, imo.

NEVER, EVER draft a kicker before round 7.

Molitoth
09-10-2007, 09:34 AM
He's fine, because even if he made that FG, it wouldn't have given us a win. If you think Medlock is what's wrong with this team, then you're not fine.

You underestimate momentum and confidence. The outcome of the game could have been COMPLETELY different if he made that easy kick.

Planetman
09-10-2007, 09:50 AM
I said nothing about Medlock's miss costing us a win, did I? Perhaps your comprehension skills are right up there with your ability to understand what the word, fine, actually means.
http://blinn.com/images/grade_f.png

Valiant
09-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I never said he would have made the outcome of the game any different. My concern all preseason has been IF we get into a tight game.aahhaha

I fixed your post...

smittysbar
09-10-2007, 10:06 AM
610 is reporting that Dave Rainer (sp?) is the Chiefs new starting kicker, he worked out last week. He is flying in tonight. Medlock is not cut at this time.

CoMoChief
09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
2 PART QUESITON:

Who held the ball for Medlock's kicks while at UCLA and was he drafted by any team, or is he at school still?

I'm almost wondering if that would help his kicks. Colquitt is having to switch from being a right footed holder to being a left footed holder. Has to be awkward switching during somewhat short notice.

the Talking Can
09-10-2007, 10:23 AM
are we going to let the young guys play or give up on them after 1 game, 1 preseason?

unlurking
09-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Short notice?

Wasn't Medlock drafted like, oh, I don't know, months ago? Didn't they have like, mini-camps, and like training camps?

Are you really saying you would consider giving up one of the 46 man active spots to a HOLDER?!

Lzen
09-10-2007, 10:26 AM
I fixed your post...

heh, good point. :(

CoMoChief
09-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Short notice?

Wasn't Medlock drafted like, oh, I don't know, months ago? Didn't they have like, mini-camps, and like training camps?

Are you really saying you would consider giving up one of the 46 man active spots to a HOLDER?!
We are carrying like what 5 RB's?

unlurking
09-10-2007, 10:30 AM
We are carrying like what 5 RB's?
haha, true, but I would much rather an extra receiver!!!

Oh, and of those 5, how many suit up? You're talking about adding to the 46, not the 53.

Micjones
09-10-2007, 10:41 AM

Football is about momentum.
And we lost a great deal of it after he missed that kick.
Wins and losses are always about more than just individual plays, but success on individual plays is how you win games.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Hindsight is 20/20 ..........

we say this alot about the chiefs

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 11:22 AM
You underestimate momentum and confidence. The outcome of the game could have been COMPLETELY different if he made that easy kick.

BS.

Damon Huard is supremely confident.

No amount of momentum or confidence is going to overcome the fact that he's just not physically talented and can't make the throws.

Silock
09-10-2007, 11:34 AM
I said nothing about Medlock's miss costing us a win, did I? Perhaps your comprehension skills are right up there with your ability to understand what the word, fine, actually means.
http://blinn.com/images/grade_f.png

YA IM SUTPID, RITE?! LOLLERZ!

Medlock is fine. I'm not saying he doesn't have some things to correct, because he does. But he, like just about EVERYONE ELSE on the team, needs work.

Silock
09-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Football is about momentum.
And we lost a great deal of it after he missed that kick.
Wins and losses are always about more than just individual plays, but success on individual plays is how you win games.

Awesome momentum would have been a TD. I agree that there was a certain amount of momentum that would have swung in our favor, but I don't think it would have been enough to swing things in our favor. We needed a TD at that point to make a statement, not a FG.

Frosty
09-10-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm having a hard time believing that the offense tanked because the kicker missed the first kick in a 0-0 game.

Planetman
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
YA IM SUTPID, RITE?! LOLLERZ!

Medlock is fine. I'm not saying he doesn't have some things to correct, because he does. But he, like just about EVERYONE ELSE on the team, needs work.
The Chiefs have reportedly signed Dave Rayner. Now, tell us all, once again, just how "fine" Medlock is.

Silock
09-10-2007, 11:52 AM
The Chiefs have reportedly signed Dave Rayner. Now, tell us all, once again, just how "fine" Medlock is.

He's still fine. Obviously, the coaching staff doesn't think he can fix what's wrong in a short enough period of time. Rookie kickers struggle. It happens. Doesn't mean he's going to be a bust and it doesn't mean he won't have some bumps in the road.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 11:55 AM

Medlock will go on a kick for someone else.

And I'll go out on a limb and say he will be BETTER than anyone that kicks here.

Silock
09-10-2007, 11:56 AM

And I'll go out on a limb and say he will be BETTER than anyone that kicks here.

That's what I'm screaming. You give up on the guy after *1* real game? Absolutely retarded.

FringeNC
09-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Exactly. Yet another move that makes absolutely no sense for the position in the talent cycle the Chiefs currently find themselves. This is NOT a ****ing SB team. Herm and Carl are such cowards.

TEX
09-10-2007, 12:41 PM

We'll see. But I doubt it. He's mental. Personally I'm glad he's gone. I'd have brought in competition from day one and I'd have made him earn the job. If he didn't earn it, I'd have cut him. I'd much rather have seen what he's made of that way than how Herm chose to do it.

Regardless, I wouldn't have drafted him to begin with. I went on record as being in Crosby's camp b/c IMO, he was the better of the two.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 01:00 PM
We'll see. But I doubt it. He's mental. Personally I'm glad he's gone. I'd have brought in competition from day one and I'd have made him earn the job. If he didn't earn it, I'd have cut him. I'd much rather have seen what he's made of that way than how Herm chose to do it.

Regardless, I wouldn't have drafted him to begin with. I went on record as being in Crosby's camp b/c IMO, he was the better of the two.

Well, 32 NFL teams disagreed with you. But at least you get the last laugh. Enjoy yet another wasted season.

TEX
09-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, 32 NFL teams disagreed with you. But at least you get the last laugh. Enjoy yet another wasted season.

Not likely. But didn't ALL the draft guys agree with me?

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Not likely. But didn't ALL the draft guys agree with me?

Um, no.

The links have only been posted about fifty times.

mikey23545
09-10-2007, 02:41 PM
BS.

Damon Huard is supremely confident.

No amount of momentum or confidence is going to overcome the fact that his receivers just can't catch.

FYP

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
FYP

22 completions, 168 yards. Try to blame that on the WR's.

Mecca
09-10-2007, 03:16 PM
The Chiefs in a year where they won't win anything that should be about youth and development cut a young player after one game...

BRILLIANT.

smittysbar
09-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Guys I posted that they signed the new kicker but also said that Medlock is still on the team.

Dave Rayner is the guy this year but they are hoping that Medlock will be our guy after that.:banghead:

orange
09-10-2007, 04:18 PM
The Chiefs in a year where they won't win anything that should be about youth and development cut a young player after one game...

BRILLIANT.

Some Planeteers keep posting this, but there's just one problem, and it's a whopper.

The Chiefs' players and coaches don't believe that!
They think they're going to WIN and they're all about doing whatever it takes to get it done.
Would you really want it any other way?

chop
09-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Guys I posted that they signed the new kicker but also said that Medlock is still on the team.

Dave Rayner is the guy this year but they are hoping that Medlock will be our guy after that.:banghead:

Chiefs boot Medlock, sign new kicker
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs felt they no longer could go with struggling kicker Justin Medlock and agreed to terms of a two-year contract with Dave Rayner today.

Rayner will kick for the Chiefs in Sunday’s game against the Bears in Chicago.

Medlock struggled in the preseason and then missed a 30-yard field goal attempt in Sunday’s loss in Houston. He later made a 27-yard attempt.

But the Chiefs felt they could no longer wait for Medlock, their fifth-round draft pick, to come around.

The Chiefs planned to put Medlock on their practice squad if he cleared waivers.

Rayner handled kickoffs for the Colts and was the Packers kicker last season. He made 26 of 36 field goal attempts.

siberian khatru
09-10-2007, 04:30 PM
The Chiefs planned to put Medlock on their practice squad if he cleared waivers.

I wonder how many teams over the years have kept kickers on their practice squads?

Braincase
09-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Print 'em.

Sure-Oz
09-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I wonder how many teams over the years have kept kickers on their practice squads?
Doesn't someone have to be released from the PS as well?

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Some Planeteers keep posting this, but there's just one problem, and it's a whopper.

The Chiefs' players and coaches don't believe that!
They think they're going to WIN and they're all about doing whatever it takes to get it done.
Would you really want it any other way?

Yeah, I want it ANY other way than this.

I've had enough of this.

0-16 is better than this.