PDA

View Full Version : Solari Can't Adjust

petegz28
09-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I have heard all day long now people saying how good we looked on the first drive and then we went to pot. It's cause once we run out of the scripted plays Solari can't keep a rythm going. We saw it last year all year. Especially in the playoffs.

I don't think this guy knows the offense well enough to be an OC. Let alone well enough to start tweaking it to a Herm style with our personel.

I don't see the offense out there as confident in what they are doing and I think it's cause they are not confident in either what they are being told or they just aren't confident in him and that lack of leadership is showing.

We consistently throw sideways and run up the middle. Sunday we did next to nothing to stretch the defense. Granted some unfortunate things happened like a bad call on TG. But none the less our offense looks lost.

I don't think Solari knows what he is doing good enough to be effective calling plays in the game.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
We consistently throw sideways and run up the middle. Sunday we did next to nothing to stretch the defense.

IM not his biggest fan , but his hands are tied with Huard.

Did you not see the poorly underthrown deep ball to Bowe??

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Solari would be fine if he wasn't hamstrung by a coach that's afraid of scoring...

petegz28
IM not his biggest fan , but his hands are tied with Huard.

Did you not see the poorly underthrown deep ball to Bowe??

Yeah well he has to do it no matter what. You know last year I remember a game where Huard came in for one play and threw what took an all-world catch pass to Kennison and everyone was getting a hard on.

Either way as I said even if you just sling it down over everyone you have to make the D respect something of a deep pass some of the time.

We were getting stuffed on 3 step drops cause they were just sitting on us.

Buehler445
I think our playcalling took a HUGE jump from last year. He's here for the season. Let's see if he keeps improving.

Fish
09-10-2007, 06:19 PM
I think Solari is so terrified of turning the ball over and pissing off Herm that he's practically neutered himself....

Deberg_1990
09-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Either way as I said even if you just sling it down over everyone you have to make the D respect something of a deep pass some of the time.

We were getting stuffed on 3 step drops cause they were just sitting on us.

Agreed. Its highly possible Solari is calling more deep patterns, but Huard doesnt trust his arm enough to make the throw. Hes the master of the checkdown pass.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 06:22 PM
From listening to Lenny and Mitch yesterday, the deep patterns were being run and Huard basically just ignored them.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2007, 06:22 PM
they should of never kept solari

the only reason he's here is so they could try and pretend to kept our league leading offense. Herm didn't want Green, didn't want the offense no matter what the ranking.

keeping solari just confused the situation

ChiefsCountry
09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
From listening to Lenny and Mitch yesterday, the deep patterns were being run and Huard basically just ignored them.

Dawson sounded pretty pissed off about.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Herm had a very good reason to keep Solari.

He's gonna make a good scapegoat some day, probably as early as this coming January.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2007, 06:24 PM
how do they know what's being called?

i seriously doubt that Huard said to himself "you know what, i just don't feel like throwing deep and scoring" so i'm just gonna sit here and get sacked.

petegz28
09-10-2007, 06:25 PM
they should of never kept solari

the only reason he's here is so they could try and pretend to kept our league leading offense. Herm didn't want Green, didn't want the offense no matter what the ranking.

keeping solari just confused the situation

I agree. It was a bad decision to try and salvage 1 more year of the Al Suanders offense.

Only Carl should be smart enough to know Solari is not even an apprentice to the mad scientist Saunders

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
how do they know what's being called?

i seriously doubt that Huard said to himself "you know what, i just don't feel like throwing deep and scoring" so i'm just gonna sit here and get sacked.

I'm guessing if there's WR's running routes deeper than 20 yards, there's a good chance routes deeper than 20 yards were part of the playcall...

Deberg_1990
09-10-2007, 06:28 PM

No of course not. But like i mentioned earlier, Huard knows his limitations and simply doesnt trust his arm enough to make certain throws.

FringeNC
09-10-2007, 06:29 PM

And that is why Herm chose him over Croyle -- Croyle would have attempted the deep balls.

petegz28
09-10-2007, 06:29 PM
No of course not. But like i mentioned earlier, Huard knows his limitations and simply doesnt trust his arm enough to make certain throws.

Wellt hen they might as well of just left Croyle in. This team is just stupid. We have some talent we are just too stupid to use it.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Wellt hen they might as well of just left Croyle in. This team is just stupid. We have some talent we are just too stupid to use it.

Is it any wonder why we havent won a playoff game in 14 years??

ILChief
09-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I wish Herm would hire a top-shelf offensive coordinator and completely turn that side of the ball over to him, even if it meant we became an Arena league team.

Otter
09-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Solari...

Another in-house promotion by the Chiefs. It might be a good idea if they never do that again.

petegz28
09-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I wish Herm would hire a top-shelf offensive coordinator and completely turn that side of the ball over to him, even if it meant we became an Arena league team.

You know I said a few weeks ago we need an OC with some clout that Herm will trust out of respect. Don't know who that would be but we need someone who knows a system and carries the respect to have his system implemented.

Solari is nothing more than a Jimmy Ray type band aid.

blueballs
09-10-2007, 07:20 PM
You don't understand the genious of Herm
the fans will cream their collective underware
when ever Croyle comes in and throws -hero

ILChief
09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
You know I said a few weeks ago we need an OC with some clout that Herm will trust out of respect. Don't know who that would be but we need someone who knows a system and carries the respect to have his system implemented.

Solari is nothing more than a Jimmy Ray type band aid.

Exactly, We should have hired Martz as OC last season. Similar offense to Saunders, so alot of the players would already know the system. Even though Martz is a dick and a complete disaster as a head coach, he's one of the best OCs in the business. Look at what Jon Kitna is doing under him.

petegz28
09-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Exactly, We should have hired Martz as OC last season. Similar offense to Saunders, so alot of the players would already know the system. Even though Martz is a dick and a complete disaster as a head coach, he's one of the best OCs in the business. Look at what Jon Kitna is doing under him.

I agree. arogant as a head coach but that's what I want for an OC. Although we don't have the players to run his kind of system.

chagrin
09-10-2007, 07:29 PM

He's gonna make a good scapegoat some day, probably as early as this coming January.

That's actually a pretty valid point, though I don't don't know if you're joking - it makes sense with this regime. Solari is a tool and there is nothing anyone can say that would convince me that he's the right choice for OC. The entire team didn't just forget how to play football last year; the playbook was cut in half because junior there couldn't handle being an OC and this team is simply going to stink this year.
I have come to grips with it, regardless of how some teams turn it around, we simply have too many obstacles - so I have hope that next year will be alot better, can't get much worse.

Face it dude, Herm/Carl have really made some bad moves, such as drafting medlock (in my opinion), not doing ANYTHING to shore up our QB situation, and letting the O-Line go in the crapper.

I don't say this because I am a "fair weather" fan but there's no other logical way to look at it. I would love to be wrong - I will never not be a fan of the CHIEFS - I think they will do something better, next year.

ILChief
09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Solari is a very good offensive line coach. but OL coaches don't make good coordinators.

EM31
09-10-2007, 07:31 PM

Got it in one! That is Herm's MO.

Forget the fact that he is a dope.

Forget the fact that he is unqualified to be a position coach in the NFL let alone a Head Coach. (ultimately he will find a niche as a diversity officer with the league office or some such. But until then...)

Forget the fact that he is the worst game day coach in the history of the NFL. Look, he is stupid, there is really no getting around that fact but he is also unliucky when he does decide to gamble in a game.

Forget the fact that he is a horrible judge of talent (you just see the free agents he asks to have brought in and the ones he decides to let go). If KC is anything like NY then the GM does not let Herm get within a million miles of any actual draft day decisions any more significant than honey dipped Vs. chocolate sprinkles.

Forget the fact that players who get to play under a competent head coach after Herm will start to praise the new guy far actually teaching them something and preparing them to play the games (Se Brian Thomas, Jericho Cotchery, Kerry Rhodes to name but a few). Herm does not do any actual coaching. He is a cheerleader and a media whore.

Forget the fact that he endorses a style of football which totally emasculates the players and the fans. Playing not to lose by more than 10 points.

The truly unforgivable part about Herman Edwards is that he is a dirtbag sack of shit who would toss anyone and everyone overboard if he thought it made him look good or (more often) if made him look less bad. Nothing is ever his fault. Ever. OK you say, so he is a dirtbag but why is that the worst part about Herm?

Because the sanctimonious turd insists on hamming it up for every Microphone in Christendom to lecture the world on moral values and high character. That's why.

This is a man who would throw his wife and mother out of a lifeboat of the Titanic if it got him a non-rowing seat.

You are one year into this and you have no idea. Not even the beginnings of an inkling about how bad it will become.

petegz28
09-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Forget the fact that he is unqualified to be a position coach in the NFL let alone a Head Coach. (ultimately he will find a niche as a diversity officer with the league office or some such. But until then...)

Forget the fact that he is the worst game day coach in the history of the NFL. Look, he is stupid, there is really no getting around that fact but he is also unliucky when he does decide to gamble in a game.

Forget the fact that he is a horrible judge of talent (you just see the free agents he asks to have brought in and the ones he decides to let go). If KC is anything like NY then the GM does not let Herm get within a million miles of any actual draft day decisions any more significant than honey dipped Vs. chocolate sprinkles.

Forget the fact that players who get to play under a competent head coach after Herm will start to praise the new guy far actually teaching them something and preparing them to play the games (Se Brian Thomas, Jericho Cotchery, Kerry Rhodes to name but a few). Herm does not do any actual coaching. He is a cheerleader and a media whore.

Forget the fact that he endorses a style of football which totally emasculates the players and the fans. Playing not to lose by more than 10 points.

The truly unforgivable part about Herman Edwards is that he is a dirtbag sack of shit who would toss anyone and everyone overboard if he thought it made him look good or (more often) if made him look less bad. Nothing is ever his fault. Ever. OK you say, so he is a dirtbag but why is that the worst part about Herm?

Because the sanctimonious turd insists on hamming it up for every Microphone in Christendom to lecture the world on moral values and high character. That's why.

This is a man who would throw his wife and mother out of a lifeboat of the Titanic if it got him a non-rowing seat.

You are one year into this and you have no idea. Not even the beginnings of an inkling about how bad it will become.

So how do you feel about Herm?

Buehler445
09-10-2007, 07:42 PM

Jets fan?

Fish
09-10-2007, 07:45 PM

ROFL

Forget the fact that he's not your head coach anymore... but he still bothers you enough to come to his new team's BB and write a 2 page poem about him...

Skip Towne
09-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Solari...

Another in-house promotion by the Chiefs. It might be a good idea if they never do that again.
Nope - Peter Principle.

penchief
09-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Solari would be fine if he wasn't hamstrung by a coach that's afraid of scoring...

I'm not sure about that. I have more faith in Herman Edwards than I do Solari, Gunther, or Dick Curl. Those three guys make me wonder what why we don't spend more money on coaches.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
or he knows that his head coach doesn't want him taking risks with the ball so he just checks down.

this is what happens when Marty errr herm yells at the QB all practice long, every day of every week.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 07:59 PM
or he knows that his head coach doesn't want him taking risks with the ball so he just checks down.

this is what happens when Marty errr herm yells at the QB all practice long, every day of every week.

That's precisely why Herm chose Huard, IMO.

Huard can't make those throws so he won't attempt them, and Herm doesn't want him to make them anyway, so it works out great for both parties.

At the end of the day, they can just blame it on Solari...

macdawg
09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
must say i've never heard of a team hiring the ****ing o-line coach to be the o coordinator.....

qb coach should have first dibs and I don't care if he went to Chicago, shouldn't have let him go or saunders or at least use a wr coach as the coordinator....

run run dink punt
run run dunk punt

****ing disgusting

ChiefsCountry
09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Those three guys make me wonder what why we don't spend more money on coaches.

Under Vermeil the Chiefs spend the most on their coaching staff than any other team.

petegz28
09-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Well the irony is I don't have a problem with Herm's philosophy. And I truly think he gives Solari total control as long as he runs a ball control offense. That is very similar to how Marty ran things. I just don't think Solari knows wtf he is doing. It's one thing to sit there and call plays. It's another to compose on the fly and I think he is suffering from information overload.

EM31
09-10-2007, 08:21 PM
ROFL

Forget the fact that he's not your head coach anymore... but he still bothers you enough to come to his new team's BB and write a 2 page poem about him...
Good point and that is pretty disturbing come to think on it but there you have it.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Well the irony is I don't have a problem with Herm's philosophy. And I truly think he gives Solari total control as long as he runs a ball control offense. That is very similar to how Marty ran things. I just don't think Solari knows wtf he is doing. It's one thing to sit there and call plays. It's another to compose on the fly and I think he is suffering from information overload.

Well, we know for a fact that's not true. Because Herm himself said so.

petegz28
09-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Well, we know for a fact that's not true. Because Herm himself said so.

What did Herm say?

ChiefsLV
09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Good point and that is pretty disturbing come to think on it but there you have it.

Really thanks, but Chiefs fans knew this about Herm Edwards before we got him. The only glimmer of hope we had was that there might be some chance he'd keep our offense the same while returning the defense to respectability. That obviously didn't happen. Herm came in and proclaimed "why would I change an offense that scores so many points?", then promptly turned around and installed his conservative gameplans. Now some of us are just hoping he does shitty enough that the GM gets the boot along with him. That seems like a good possibility.

htismaqe
09-10-2007, 08:51 PM
What did Herm say?

After a preseason game last year, he said something about Solari's playcalling, that it was too risky during a specific red zone situation, and then he said he wouldn't let it happen again...

petegz28
09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
After a preseason game last year, he said something about Solari's playcalling, that it was too risky during a specific red zone situation, and then he said he wouldn't let it happen again...

Which is why I said as long as Solari runs a ball control offense.

Look we all know Herm is not babysitting the O during practice. He is leaving it up to Solari.

And it shows.

Logical
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM

Look we all know Herm is not babysitting the O during practice. He is leaving it up to Solari.

And it shows.

I think you are completely wrong, I thing Herm is controling what goes into this offense completely and Solari has no control.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Dick Curl is the "Ghost" Offensive Coordinator.

EM31
09-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Really thanks, but Chiefs fans knew this about Herm Edwards before we got him. The only glimmer of hope we had was that there might be some chance he'd keep our offense the same while returning the defense to respectability. That obviously didn't happen. Herm came in and proclaimed "why would I change an offense that scores so many points?", then promptly turned around and installed his conservative gameplans. Now some of us are just hoping he does shitty enough that the GM gets the boot along with him. That seems like a good possibility.
Actually my own money is on the idea that Peterson saw the writing on the wall with an older team and judged that he would be unlikely to personally survive a slow decline and then rebuilding phase. I think Peterson brought Herm in as this larger than life lightning rod who would accelerate the decline and who might, just might draw enough of the criticism away from Carl that Carl could actually survive the purge and rebuild when it comes.

I think it was a desperation move by Carl but one which offers some chance of success, albeit a small one.

Incidentally if this theory is true then herm will get to experience first-hand what it feels like to be used as an excuse by a boss who is incompetent and then kept around with the sole purpose to provide a body under the bus when his boss needs one. Since that is what Herm does to other people there might be some poetic justice in that.

EM31
09-11-2007, 05:42 AM

And it shows.
What earthly credentials does Herm posess to suggest that he might be an effective or even a competent coach on ANY side of the ball but particularly on the offensive side?

Herm's offensive resume consisted of letting Paul Hackett run his west coast offense for 4 years.

huskerdooz
09-11-2007, 05:55 AM

We had one of those once upon a time. But because he wouldn't suck up to Carl he is no longer coaching in the midwest.

FringeNC
09-11-2007, 06:06 AM

And it shows.

I totally disagree. I think Herm's footprints are all over this offense, and I think that's why it sucks. If Solari was OC for Dick Vermeil, I think you'd see a totally different offense.

How many "circus offense", "Arena football", "[Vermeil's] offense put tremendous pressure on the defense" comments do we need from Herm?

Fish
09-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Actually my own money is on the idea that Peterson saw the writing on the wall with an older team and judged that he would be unlikely to personally survive a slow decline and then rebuilding phase. I think Peterson brought Herm in as this larger than life lightning rod who would accelerate the decline and who might, just might draw enough of the criticism away from Carl that Carl could actually survive the purge and rebuild when it comes.

I think it was a desperation move by Carl but one which offers some chance of success, albeit a small one.

Incidentally if this theory is true then herm will get to experience first-hand what it feels like to be used as an excuse by a boss who is incompetent and then kept around with the sole purpose to provide a body under the bus when his boss needs one. Since that is what Herm does to other people there might be some poetic justice in that.

WTF with these idiot ideas...? You're like a scorned teenager obsessed with the girl that dumped you. Take this bitter crybaby shit elsewhere.

StcChief
09-11-2007, 08:18 AM

He's gonna make a good scapegoat some day, probably as early as this coming January.wondering that too...

but who's gonna be the scape goat week #2. Medlock was week #1.

Chiefnj2
09-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Solari is in a tough spot. Lost his LT in training camp, star HB sits out in a contract dispute and doesn't have his "legs" yet. The QB spot is up for grabs all of camp with neither player winning the job. The starting QB doesn't have a strong arm and doesn't have a decent pocket to throw from. The RT spot is also won by default. Then he loses his only decent WR on the first play of the game. That's a lot to overcome, especially when the head coach has an extremely conservative offensive mentality of don't take chances.

CoMoChief
09-11-2007, 08:35 AM
I can't tell you how many times I saw in Hard Knocks when Curl would get really excited and would say things like "Thats the way to do it!!!" after completing a checkdown pass to the RB for a silly little 5 yd pass.

When you mix a QB with a so so arm at best with a QB coach telling him not to throw it down field, with a dumbass inexperienced OC with a coach thats afraid of scoring you get the Kansas City offense. Plain and simple.

Extra Point
09-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Watch for the play action pass on the Chiefs' first offensive play of the game.

Don't see it? Would you believe watching Dick Curl get Solari fired?

Rick
09-11-2007, 10:59 AM
I have heard all day long now people saying how good we looked on the first drive and then we went to pot. It's cause once we run out of the scripted plays Solari can't keep a rythm going. We saw it last year all year. Especially in the playoffs.

I don't think this guy knows the offense well enough to be an OC. Let alone well enough to start tweaking it to a Herm style with our personel.

I don't see the offense out there as confident in what they are doing and I think it's cause they are not confident in either what they are being told or they just aren't confident in him and that lack of leadership is showing.

We consistently throw sideways and run up the middle. Sunday we did next to nothing to stretch the defense. Granted some unfortunate things happened like a bad call on TG. But none the less our offense looks lost.

I don't think Solari knows what he is doing good enough to be effective calling plays in the game.

You are absolutely correct sir! We could make Tom Brady and Peyton look bad if Solari called the plays. Sideways passing, stretching the field should extend beyond 8 yards (Tony G. had 5 catches, 25 yds.)

FAX
09-11-2007, 11:08 AM
There was a comment by the announcers during last night's game that I found very interesting and somewhat depressing, Mr. Rick. Paraphrased, "Bill Walsh used to say, you don't have to rely on out-muscling the other team, you can out-think them, too. There's no rule against being smarter than your opponent".

At this point, I'm pretty sure Hank Stram is rolling in his grave like Jack Sparrow on a spit.

FAX

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
wondering that too...

but who's gonna be the scape goat week #2.

Huard

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Honsetly I beleive its more Huard than what Herm & Company want. They arent going to chuck it around bc Huard doesnt have the arm. Herm & Co let Green throw last year, nothing like Vermeil of course, but they chucked it more than when Huard was running the show against the NFC West. Even in preseason - they let Croyle throw.

suds79
09-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Solari is in a tough spot. Lost his LT in training camp, star HB sits out in a contract dispute and doesn't have his "legs" yet. The QB spot is up for grabs all of camp with neither player winning the job. The starting QB doesn't have a strong arm and doesn't have a decent pocket to throw from. The RT spot is also won by default. Then he loses his only decent WR on the first play of the game. That's a lot to overcome, especially when the head coach has an extremely conservative offensive mentality of don't take chances.

That's a great post.

Unfortunately, I think the problems on offense goes all over.

You clearly pointed out the problem with some of the players and I agree 100%.

But I also feel uncomfortable with the idea that we have an OC who is learning on the job. :shake:

I liked Solari more as an O-line coach. I simply feel he's been promoted to the point in incompetence.

Chiefnj2
09-11-2007, 11:26 AM
That's a great post.

Unfortunately, I think the problems on offense goes all over.

You clearly pointed out the problem with some of the players and I agree 100%.

But I also feel uncomfortable with the idea that we have an OC who is learning on the job. :shake:

I liked Solari more as an O-line coach. I simply feel he's been promoted to the point in incompetence.

Deep down I can't believe Solari is happy. I'm sure he was thrilled to be named the OC and perhaps originally told things wouldn't change on the offense. After tasting success with DV and Saunders, Solari has to realize that at least for the O, the old way was better. Long practices where the players ran the plays until they got it right, taking some chances down field to open things up, etc.

Extra Point
09-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Micromanagement to Mediocrity-- It all Flows Downhill

HemiEd
09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
wondering that too...

but who's gonna be the scape goat week #2. Medlock was week #1.

Huard, it will be Brodie's job for the home opener.

suds79
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Huard, it will be Brodie's job for the home opener.

Just in time for my 1st game of the year. PBJ

HemiEd
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Huard
hey!

Calcountry
09-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure about that. I have more faith in Herman Edwards than I do Solari, Gunther, or Dick Curl. Those three guys make me wonder what why we don't spend more money on coaches.None of the above matters as long as King Carl sits upon his throne.

Calcountry
09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Huard, it will be Brodie's job for the home opener.No, it will be the NFC champion Chigago Bears AWESOME defense.