PDA

View Full Version : Now that Jamarcus has signed, can the Chiefs use a Raider castoff QB?

Ugly Duck
09-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Now that Jamarcus has signed.... we'll probably get rid of one of our QBs & you guyz sure need one. Wuddya think... wanna Raider castoff QB?

ESPN: The Oakland Raiders reached a contact agreement in principle on Monday night with JaMarcus Russell, the former LSU quarterback who was the first overall selection in the 2007 draft.

Barring any glitches and contingent on formalities like him passing a physical exam, ESPN.com has confirmed that Russell will officially sign a six-year contract on Tuesday and should be on the field for the team's Wednesday practice.

Sources said the contract, hammered out in four days of marathon face-to-face negotiations in the Bay Area, has a maximum value of $68 million.

The deal also includes about $31 million-$32 million in guarantees and an attractive payout schedule that will enable Russell to earn substantially more in the first three seasons of the deal than the $20.95 million that Houston Texans defensive end Mario Williams, the top overall selection in the '06 draft, will bank in his first three years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3013493

KurtCobain
09-11-2007, 03:44 AM
oooooooooooooh Andrew Walter will soon be available!

el borracho
09-11-2007, 05:13 AM
No thanks- I'm sure the Chiefs' equipment managers have already purchased plenty of tackling dummies for this season.

GarySpFc
09-11-2007, 05:21 AM
Now that Jamarcus has signed.... we'll probably get rid of one of our QBs & you guyz sure need one. Wuddya think... wanna Raider castoff QB?
Sources said the contract, hammered out in four days of marathon face-to-face negotiations in the Bay Area, has a maximum value of $68 million.
The deal also includes about $31 million-$32 million in guarantees and an attractive payout schedule that will enable Russell to earn substantially more in the first three seasons of the deal than the $20.95 million that Houston Texans defensive end Mario Williams, the top overall selection in the '06 draft, will bank in his first three years.

Imagine one of these high flyers having a bad inury, which kills their career, and you will see an NFL team in financial distress for several years.

chagrin
09-11-2007, 05:27 AM
At least McCown has a good arm; in my opinion, if we were to actually go after somebody, he's a helluva better choice than Sir Byron the slow and dumb.

Mi_chief_fan
09-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Is Kenny Stabler making a comeback?

the Talking Can
09-11-2007, 05:42 AM
I'd rather have McCown than Huard...

chop
09-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Considering how the raiders handled the negotiations, I expect them to cut Russell so they can put him on the practice squad.

Eleazar
09-11-2007, 07:33 AM

Me too... errr I mean NO! WIN NOW WIN NOW WIN NOW!

Bwana
09-11-2007, 07:48 AM

Can: You would rather have Ryan Leaf then Hurad.

As far as the raiders first rounder, I wouldn't look for him soon. He missed all of camp and the first game. He will be lucky to be in there by mid-season and will likely get spanked at that point in time.

Chiefnj2
09-11-2007, 08:11 AM
It should have been a 7 year deal since the first year is completely wasted.

Wasn't that the fight the entire time? 5 or 6 years. Well, the Raiders got 6 on paper but the first year is done.

Iowanian
09-11-2007, 08:14 AM
I think McCown will be similar to Kitna when his career is over...He's a journeyman at this point, but he can throw the ball.

I would think Andrew Walter might be better than some might think, if he actually had someone blocking for him.

I'd take McCown over Huard....but its a pointless discussion.

ChiTown
09-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Me too... errr I mean NO! WIN NOW WIN NOW WIN NOW!

translated: 5-7 wins! 5-7 wins! 5-7 wins!

Archie Bunker
09-11-2007, 08:35 AM
I'd take a look at Walter. He is not as bad as he looked last year and he would be good competition for Croyle.

Frosty
09-11-2007, 08:39 AM
I'd take a look at Walter. He is not as bad as he looked last year and he would be good competition for Croyle.

I agree. I still think Walter can be a very good QB. I was pretty worried when the Raiders drafted him. Fortunately, they screwed that up. :)

the Talking Can
09-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Can: You would rather have Ryan Leaf then Hurad.

As far as the raiders first rounder, I wouldn't look for him soon. He missed all of camp and the first game. He will be lucky to be in there by mid-season and will likely get spanked at that point in time.

I'd rather line up with no QB than Huard...less embarrassing.

Skip Towne
09-11-2007, 09:30 AM
I'd rather line up with no QB than Huard...less embarrassing.
You want to run the Single Wing?

Iowanian
09-11-2007, 09:33 AM
When I was in HS, our team made the playoffs and had to Play Lundburg's team...again and they were full of horses....at least they smelled that way.....

Anyway, the Coach employed an offense the first half that would serve the Chiefs better than Damon Huard.

It was called "the 7 horsemen".

basically, lined up the 7 biggest-best Olinemen, replacing even the TE with a blocker, direct snap to one of the RBs split behind center.

the Talking Can
09-11-2007, 09:35 AM
You want to run the Single Wing?

no, every play would be a fake punt....tricky, huh?