PDA

View Full Version : Is D'Brickashaw Ferguson a bust?

BigRock
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Kind of a random topic, but I was reading an analysis of the Jets/Pats game from some Jets fans and they seemed to be totally writing off Ferguson one game into his second year. I'm talking "how much would it cost the team to cut him?" type stuff, which surprised me. I haven't exactly followed the state of the Jets' offensive line all that closely, but I definitely thought Ferguson would turn out well.

Obviously, though, every team has their unreasonable fans. We've already got people like Whitlock practically calling Bowe a bust, so I don't know how rational any of these opinions were.

So to any of the Jets fans who post here, or anyone who happens to know, is calling him a bust an accurate analysis of Ferguson's career so far? Or just the usual fan overreaction after a loss?

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2007, 11:20 AM
New York fans in general want to cut everybody, heck look A-Rod in baseball.

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Has he ever had a bad game?

Then he's a bust.

beach tribe
09-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Too early to tell.

Basileus777
09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
He has been a disappointment, but I wouldn't call him a bust. He was never the elite tackle prospect that he was made out to be. He doesn't have the frame to hold 300 pounds of weight. He is undersized, which is why he gets manhandled by bull rushes and in run blocking.

What is more troubling is that Ferguson hasn't been all that good in pass protection, which is what he was supposed to excel at. He isn't even good at stopping speed rushers.

beach tribe
09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I would say if he doesn't step it up by the end of the season, he will be close.

StcChief
09-11-2007, 11:26 AM
is he their version of Simms.... paid to much to cut

HolmeZz
09-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Definitely not a bust at this point.

suds79
09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
He has been a disappointment, but I wouldn't call him a bust. He was never the elite tackle prospect that he was made out to be. He doesn't have the frame to hold 300 pounds of weight. He is undersized, which is why he gets manhandled by bull rushes and in run blocking.

What is more troubling is that Ferguson hasn't been all that good in pass protection, which is what he was supposed to excel at. He isn't even good at stopping speed rushers.

You see that brings up an intesting football topic I've been wondering about.

Why is it we all want the 325 lb LT? I mean sure he can withstand a bull rush but couldn't a 300 lb LT take on a 285 lb DE anyways? Plus I'd think he'd be more likely to stop the speed rush.

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something because all the good ones are huge. EX: Odgen, Pace etc.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-11-2007, 11:48 AM
He helped them out significantly last year.

He just faced the best front seven in the NFL...it's not a surprise he struggled.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
If Jet fans try to connect him to a Herm draft, then yes

chagrin
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
he's better than anything we have probably

BigChiefFan
09-11-2007, 12:23 PM
He looked damn good last year when I saw him play. I didn't see the game against the Pats this year, but it's really not surprising that he would struggle against their team, especially if the Pats were CHEATING which is now being brought up by ESPN.

Amnorix
09-11-2007, 12:42 PM
He looked damn good last year when I saw him play. I didn't see the game against the Pats this year, but it's really not surprising that he would struggle against their team, especially if the Pats were CHEATING which is now being brought up by ESPN.

Please note that the cheating allegations relate to stealing Jets DEFENSIVE signals, and would not help our defense against their offense one bit.

Amnorix
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
So far, he doesn't appear to be a good, much less great, LT. That's why he was picked that high and paid that much -- to be a great LT.

He needs to progress or he'll be another Robert Gallery, flipped to right tackle or even down to Guard.

The Jets whole OLine is mediocre, though, which doesn't help him any. They traded Kendall, which made the left guard position VERY weak.

tk13
09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I'd have a hard time gathering an actual opinion off a Jets board, those people are fierce, no patience at all. This is the same group that cheered Chad Pennington getting hurt on Sunday.

BigChiefFan
09-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Please note that the cheating allegations relate to stealing Jets DEFENSIVE signals, and would not help our defense against their offense one bit.
It was a little dig at the golden boys of football because I'm sick of hearing about them. If they were cheating to find defensive signals, don't you think they'd do the same on the other side of the ball? They just got caught at that moment.

RustShack
09-11-2007, 12:57 PM
One player can't make the whole line, if the rest of the line is bad he will look bad too.

Amnorix
09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
It was a little dig at the golden boys of football because I'm sick of hearing about them. If they were cheating to find defensive signals, don't you think they'd do the same on the other side of the ball? They just got caught at that moment.

As explained in another thread just now -- offensive "signals" don't exist to be videotaped. They're radioed in from head coach/offensive coordinator to the Quarterback's helmet.

So no, genius, I don't think so.

And I could care less if you're sick of hearing about them. I had to live through Shula/Marino, Niners/MOntana and others dominating football while my Patriots were down there with the Bungles as the pathetic jokes of the NFL.

Give me my decade to shine, because it's probably the only decade I'll have to enjoy it in my entire life....

BigChiefFan
09-11-2007, 01:01 PM
As explained in another thread just now -- offensive "signals" don't exist to be videotaped. They're radioed in from head coach/offensive coordinator to the Quarterback's helmet.

And I could care less if you're sick of hearing about them. I had to live through Shula/Marino, Niners/MOntana and others dominating football while my Patriots were down there with the Bungles as the pathetic jokes of the NFL.

Give me my decade to shine, because it's probably the only decade I'll have to enjoy it in my entire life....You can enjoy it, but I sure Hell don't have to. **** the Pats. :p

Again, there are many ways to cheat. When did I state that it had to be the cameraman doing all the cheating? I didn't. Once a cheater always a CHEATER. I hope they get busted so BB can be exposed.

Psyko Tek
09-11-2007, 01:08 PM
I hope some day the Chief's will be torn down like the Pat's are now
despised as the team that always wins

this is my dream

enjoy your time Amnorix

Mecca
09-11-2007, 02:05 PM
If you think he is or will be a franchise LT then yes he's a bust. He'll never be that he's to light and not strong enough and seems to either not be able to or not want to gain any more weight.

He'd probably be a good RT but anyone that can bull rush will just man handle him.

BigChiefFan
09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
If you think he is or will be a franchise LT then yes he's a bust. He'll never be that he's to light and not strong enough and seems to either not be able to or not want to gain any more weight.

He'd probably be a good RT but anyone that can bull rush will just man handle him.
Because he's already peaked, right? Ferguson could still improve by leaps and bounds.

Valiant
09-11-2007, 02:10 PM

He would do great in the Denver style of blocking with his size and speed...

Mecca
09-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I wasn't high on Ferguson when he came out either....he's just not big enough. His feet aren't exactly great either.

htismaqe
09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Because he's already peaked, right? Ferguson could still improve by leaps and bounds.

Except that his frame isn't suited to add muscle/weight. It was a knock on him coming out of college...

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
I was of the opinion that the Texans should have taken him 1st in the draft, especially since Kubiak was moving down there. He could be a really special LT in a zone blocking scheme.

BigChiefFan
09-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Except that his frame isn't suited to add muscle/weight. It was a knock on him coming out of college...

If you work out you get bigger-I don't buy they can't add weight crap, especially knowing that's he's already 6'6 312 lbs, that's bigger than most 6'6 people. Just look at NBA players.
Also he's a LT-arguably one the hardest position to play in the NFL, anybody calling for his head on a platter at this point, is too impatient.

htismaqe
09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
I was of the opinion that the Texans should have taken him 1st in the draft, especially since Kubiak was moving down there. He could be a really special LT in a zone blocking scheme.

Good point. Zone blocking might be his best bet to be "great".

htismaqe
09-11-2007, 02:45 PM
If you work out you get bigger-I don't buy they can't add weight crap, especially knowing that's he's already 6'6 312 lbs, that's bigger than most 6'6 people. Just look at NBA players.
Also he's a LT-arguably one the hardest position to play in the NFL, anybody calling for his head on a platter at this point, is too impatient.

His frame won't support that kind of weight - he'll break down. It's as simple as that.

I said the same thing about Matthias Kiwanuka and everybody said I was full of shit.

Well, lo and behold, he's a fuggin LB now...

BigChiefFan
09-11-2007, 02:54 PM
His frame won't support that kind of weight - he'll break down. It's as simple as that.

I said the same thing about Matthias Kiwanuka and everybody said I was full of shit.

Well, lo and behold, he's a fuggin LB now...
At 6'6'' 312 lbs, he really doesn't need to add much weight, now does he?. He just needs to improve his overall game and he will get bigger if he works out. Muscle weighs more than fat and saying that anybody can't add more muscle is absurd. It's just a matter of putting in the work.

I'll agree his frame might not be able to add 30 more lbs, but saying he can't add some muscle mass is proposterous.

Thig Lyfe
09-11-2007, 02:57 PM

It's spelled "genious" here.

Rain Man
09-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Give me my decade to shine, because it's probably the only decade I'll have to enjoy it in my entire life....

A decade? A DECADE?!?!?! You get a decade, and I don't even get a season?!?!?! I think I finally understand why the Third World hates America.

Calcountry
09-11-2007, 03:05 PM
New York fans in general want to cut everybody, heck look A-Rod in baseball.In a wierd sort of way, I am actually pulling for A-Rod BECAUSE of the shitty way NY treated him. They did the same thing to Reggie back in the Day, then they all loved him after the 3 Jax in the WS.

Heh, A-rod has closed the gap between he and Barry Bonds by 8 HR's since Barry hit 755. A rod hit his 500th on the same day.

Enjoy the rcord there Barry, you should hold it for about 6, maybe 7 years.

Calcountry
09-11-2007, 03:07 PM
A decade? A DECADE?!?!?! You get a decade, and I don't even get a season?!?!?! I think I finally understand why the Third World hates America.I can't stand Brady being able to stand in the pocket with as much comfort as the sheets turned down at the Hilton Hotel.

htismaqe
09-11-2007, 03:17 PM
At 6'6'' 312 lbs, he really doesn't need to add much weight, now does he?. He just needs to improve his overall game and he will get bigger if he works out. Muscle weighs more than fat and saying that anybody can't add more muscle is absurd. It's just a matter of putting in the work.

I'll agree his frame might not be able to add 30 more lbs, but saying he can't add some muscle mass is proposterous.

His bones and joints might not be able to support 30 more pounds of ANYTHING...it doesn't matter if it's muscle or not.

He can certainly add more muscle, and his knees just might buckle under the strain. It happens ALOT, especially with guys like pro wrestlers and body builders.

Go ahead and think it's preposterous. Just about everybody that scouted Ferguson disagrees with you.