PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Grill Question

dollar1
09-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Home Depot has grills on sale. The wife "gave" me a grill for Father's Day, but said purchase when they're on sale.

HD has some nice stainless steel grills. I dont need the jambo ones...3-4 burners is fine.

The question is: they have 2 almost identical but one has cast iron grill surface, the other stainless steel surface.

Which one should I get?

Thanks,

~back under rock~

Skip Towne
09-14-2007, 02:26 PM
You can grill under that rock?

StcChief
09-14-2007, 02:27 PM
I'd go stainless steel. Dishwasher usable for racks.

HC_Chief
09-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Cast iron.

cdcox
09-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Cast iron, they hold the heat better and last longer.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-14-2007, 02:31 PM
cast iron

Stewie
09-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Get the one named "Weber."

Edit: Wow! I just checked prices for Weber gas grills at HD. The price for those have gone up ALOT since I bought mine in '03.

Bugeater
09-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Weber or Ducane. Anything else is a waste of money.

penguinz
09-14-2007, 03:37 PM
**** a gas grill. Be a man and get a charcoal grill. Your taste buds will appreciate it.

RustShack
09-14-2007, 03:41 PM
I'd probably ask Hank Hill

ferrarispider95
09-14-2007, 03:42 PM
**** a gas grill. Be a man and get a charcoal grill. Your taste buds will appreciate it.

charcoal grill is for pussies use an open flame that you started from two twigs in your yard and than fry up the neighbors cat

Stewie
09-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Dude, I'm a competitive BBQer. While I agree that a charcoal (it better be GOOD charcoal like Ozark Oak... NOT briquettes of any kind) grill gives better results a gas grill makes weekday grilling possible. I think that's what appeals to most people.

dollar1
09-14-2007, 03:46 PM
i was leaning toward cast iron but didn't know about cleanup/longevity. No Skip, have go on top of the rock to grill...wind can be a bitch thou.

I agree on the charcoal part except the time element. I grill 2x week and dont want to sit around waiting on the charcoal. I burn everything anyway:)

These grills are $100 off, guess trying to get rid of them.

thanks, for the help...

~back under rock to go buy a grill~

penguinz
09-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Dude, I'm a competitive BBQer. While I agree that a charcoal (it better be GOOD charcoal like Ozark Oak... NOT briquettes of any kind) grill gives better results a gas grill makes weekday grilling possible. I think that's what most appeals to most people.
If you train the wife properly a charcoal grill is great for weekday grilling. I get the chimney ready before leaving for work and tell her to light it at a specific time. Coals are ready to go when I pull into the driveway. :D

bkkcoh
09-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Home Depot has grills on sale. The wife "gave" me a grill for Father's Day, but said purchase when they're on sale.

HD has some nice stainless steel grills. I dont need the jambo ones...3-4 burners is fine.

The question is: they have 2 almost identical but one has cast iron grill surface, the other stainless steel surface.

Which one should I get?

Thanks,

~back under rock~

You should try to give your wife a present like that. I am sure that would go over so well...... 'Give' her a nice diamond and tell her when they are on sale she can get it....

Such a double standard... :banghead:

HC_Chief
09-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Charcoal = fine dusting of carcinogens on your seared animal flesh... yummy, and causes tumors too! :thumb:

Cast iron = easy to clean: brush it before and after each use with a coper or steel BBQ grill cleaner. Done.

penguinz
09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Charcoal = fine dusting of carcinogens on your seared animal flesh... yummy, and causes tumors too! :thumb:

Cooking over any flame adds this fine feature. ;)

Bugeater
09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Dude, I'm a competitive BBQer. While I agree that a charcoal (it better be GOOD charcoal like Ozark Oak... NOT briquettes of any kind) grill gives better results a gas grill makes weekday grilling possible. I think that's what appeals to most people.
Eh, it doesn't take that long to get the coals going, my biggest gripe about charcoal is that it isn't worth a shit in the winter.

Stewie
09-14-2007, 03:54 PM

Your are exactly right. And I'm jealous you have the wifey so well trained.

HC_Chief
09-14-2007, 03:54 PM

Actually, it doesn't. Most decent gas grills apply indirect heat... the flame never reaches the meat.

You can apply indirect heat via charcoal as well - difference is dust particles from the charcoal is carried by the heated air onto the meat. You're basically rolling the food in cancer-dust.

Stewie
09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Eh, it doesn't take that long to get the coals going, my biggest gripe about charcoal is that it isn't worth a shit in the winter.

I'm talking about the general grilling population. Believe me, I grill/smoke in all weather unless it's ridiculous.

penguinz
09-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm talking about the general grilling population. Believe me, I grill/smoke in all weather unless it's ridiculous.
Same here. I grilled a few times last winter during ice storms. The food turned out perfect each time. Even better was the odd looks from the neighbors staring out their windows. :D

Stewie
09-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Actually, it doesn't. Most decent gas grills apply indirect heat... the flame never reaches the meat.

You can apply indirect heat via charcoal as well - difference is dust particles from the charcoal is carried by the heated air onto the meat. You're basically rolling the food in cancer-dust.

It's not the source of the heat, it's the temperature the meat is subjected to. You can get the same "carcinogens" by pan frying at high heat. A slow cook is the best remedy for this "problem."

Stewie
09-14-2007, 04:05 PM
BTW, just a little test. How many known carcinogens are there?

HC_Chief
09-14-2007, 04:06 PM
It's not the source of the heat, it's the temperature the meat is subjected to. You can get the same "carcinogens" by pan frying at high heat. A slow cook is the best remedy for this "problem."

This thread is making me hungry :-)

Stewie
09-14-2007, 04:08 PM
This thread is making me hungry :-)

This thread and the pizza dough in the works is making me hungry, too.

BIG_DADDY
09-14-2007, 04:09 PM
http://www.traegergrills.com/

I got the professional grill awhile back. These bad boys rule.

Extra Point
09-14-2007, 05:31 PM

You can't win without hickory.

KCTitus
09-14-2007, 05:51 PM
cast iron is the way to go...make sure you season it and treat them with care for the first year or so...

Dont leave them on the grill if you dont use them in the winter.

Phobia
09-14-2007, 05:58 PM
You should wait another month and they'll be 50% off.

gblowfish
09-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I've had the same Weber Gas Grill (a Genesis Grill) for over ten years. Still runs like a champ. Can't beat a Weber for quality.

Simply Red
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
I've had the same Weber Gas Grill (a Genesis Grill) for over seven years. Still runs like a champ. Can't beat a Weber for quality.

tommykat
09-14-2007, 08:41 PM
You ask here......go to Cunsumer reports.com

Dartgod
09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
**** that. I'm throwing away my grill and my smoker.

dollar1
09-14-2007, 10:01 PM
"You should wait another month and they'll be 50% off"

I'm not in heat...could wait another month.

"Weber or Ducane all else is crap"

"Ten years with Weber Genisis..still champ"

HD has weber and ducane. your input has been a big help. will prolly buy next weekend or as per phobia, wait another month.

~back under rock~

HonestChieffan
09-15-2007, 07:10 AM
1) Charcoal only. Gas is weak, they break down, they fail when you need em most.

2) Gas makes weekday grilling possible...BS what are you doing that makes 25 minutes a big difference while coals get right? Drink a beer. Relax. Go rub your meat.

3) Stainless steel? in a grill? Not racks...no way. If it aint cast iron its a yuppie girlyman grill.

Skip Towne
09-15-2007, 07:18 AM
1) Charcoal only. Gas is weak, they break down, they fail when you need em most.

2) Gas makes weekday grilling possible...BS what are you doing that makes 25 minutes a big difference while coals get right? Drink a beer. Relax. Go rub your meat.

3) Stainless steel? in a grill? Not racks...no way. If it aint cast iron its a yuppie girlyman grill.
Sometimes I rub my meat even if I'm not grilling.

Baby Lee
09-15-2007, 08:14 AM
J: They're dropping like f@cking flies.
T: It's all that charcoal broiled meat you people ate.
J: They didn't tell us 'til the 80s.

Bugeater
09-15-2007, 08:18 AM
I don't know about breaking down, but the biggest reason I quit using propane was that I grew tired of going out and starting the grill and coming back 10 min later and finding out the damn tank was empty. If I were to ever buy another gas grill, I would definitely spend the money to have it hooked up to my natural gas line.

HonestChieffan
09-15-2007, 08:37 AM
http://www.bbqpits.com/ultimate_ss_table_red.jpg

Extra Point
09-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Our Weber 22" is useable for both smoking and grilling. Put an oblong cake pan on the coal grate, put 1-1/2" of water in the pan. Pour the coals from the chimney on both long sides of the pan. Put the cooking grate in, such that briquets can be added thru the handle openings. Add 5-6 briquets and small qty of your preference of wood chips as required on each side every couple hours. Keep the ash openings clear and and the vent opened slightly.

I grill-smoked two huge slabs two weeks ago, cutting each slab in half, and the slabs covered the entire cooking grate. Took about 8 hrs. Good eats!

damaticous
09-15-2007, 11:09 AM
I used to grill. bought a "starter" smoker/grill from Lowe's (Char-griller Super Pro with side fire box) and wont ever go back to grilling the "normal" way. Might take longer to smoke the meat, but it sure does taste better.

My dad uses (and I grew up with) a gas grill. After going charcoal for so long I can't eat food cooked on a gas grill.

But I could see where it would be good for weekenders or for a quickie grill.

My father always said (though never took his own advice) if you are going to do it, do it right. :)

Stewie
09-15-2007, 12:08 PM
HonestChieffan - Is that your rig? Our BBQ team has a rig about 1/2 that size plus various other smokers. That must belong to a caterer or restaurant to justify the expense.

I think the original question by dollar1 was what grill to get at HD. I'd still buy the Weber gas grill for what it sounds like he needs. JMHO.

Buehler445
09-15-2007, 12:42 PM
You guys posted some good thoughts. I will probably be buying a grill soon, so I will keep your thoughts in mind. I've seen a big influx lately of ceramic grill surfaces. I don't know anything about them. Anyone have any experience?