PDA

View Full Version : Some opinion-based facts about the game.

Rain Man
09-16-2007, 09:37 PM
1. We will never win unless we stretch the field. And two bombs a game doesn't count. We need more 10 to 20 yard routes.
2. While it looked like Damon panicked in the rush sometimes, whenever they showed the replay, there was a Bear dude coming in completely unblocked. Even so, it showed that he can't scramble at all.
3. Larry is a superstar whether his stats reflect it or not.
4. Bowe is just what this offense needs - a powerful guy who can fight for jump balls.
5. Webb was pretty darn impressive today. A Bowe/Webb/Sippio/Gonzalez set will put any cornerback under 6 feet out of business.
6. McIntosh is pretty good. It's just too bad that he's a cripple.
7. Our pass protection is pretty good as long as the other team doesn't do anything fancy, and when they do, we're screwed.
8. I have no idea who this kicker is, but I feel better with him in there than Medlock.
9. I think I might rather have Phinisee returning kicks than Drummond. He runs side to side a lot, and doesn't seem that fast.
10. Our front four, regardless of the group, is attacking a lot more than they have for the past ten years. They were blasting off the line of scrimmage in a way that made me happy.
11. Our front four has the potential to be scary when Jared Allen comes back, which is next week for those of you who don't know how to use a calendar.
12. It's going to be a crime to bench Wilkerson when Allen comes back. I don't know where to line him up, but he needs to be on the field.
13. I think our front four is going to make our LBs and DBs look pretty good this year.
14. This linebacking corps is pretty darn good against both the pass and the run.
15. This is the year that Derrick Johnson begins a run of pro bowls.
16. I like our CB situation with Law, Surtain, and Sapp, but I worry a bit about how often Surtain seems to get burned.
17. I'd like to see more out of our new safeties than I have so far. I don't think Pollard has even killed anybody yet.
18. This team has a lot of talent. The main thing holding us back is a conservative game-planning philosophy on offense that values field position over points. Newsflash to Herm: you need points to win!

cdcox
09-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I was most encouraged about the LB play today. Donnie made one of his patented swooping INTs, which is the single thing he does the best. They ran some nice blitzes with DJ, from both sides of the formation. DJ is good in coverage, but I'd rather see him blitz. Just when I thought "Gee, Nap just disappears in this D", he picks off a screen and has a beautifully timed blitz. Definitely something to build on.

petegz28
09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
ah you're killing me Smalls!

I agree with it all. This is what we get for not picking a QB in June as a starter instead of waiting until the week before the season started

Scorp
09-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Damn, Rain Man. I tried to find something I didn't agree with. I couldn't. Very nice breakdown.

Hammock Parties
09-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Wilkerson will see plenty of action at DT. He's going to penetrate on third downs...I can't wait to see it.

Mr Luzcious
09-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of those. Although personally, I would've preferred to just stick with Medlock and see if he'd improve.

Rain Man
09-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I was most encouraged about the LB play today. Donnie made one of his patented swooping INTs, which is the single thing he does the best. They ran some nice blitzes with DJ, from both sides of the formation. DJ is good in coverage, but I'd rather see him blitz. Just when I thought "Gee, Nap just disappears in this D", he picks off a screen and has a beautifully timed blitz. Definitely something to build on.

DJ is a potential big star, in my opinion. He seems to have an innate sense of where the ball is, he's fast as the dickens, and he can blitz like Guderian....or Rommel....or whoever that blitz guy was. He gives me great reason for optimism, because I think he can be that one big star that every great defense needs. Combine him with Allen and Hali (and wow! is Boone really this good?), and I think we could have one of those defenses that can win games all by itself.

SDChief
09-16-2007, 11:56 PM
I agreed with all. I actually like this team and how it is shaping up. I do want them to get croyle in there though. I think that this team might be one of those that make a little noise in the last quarter of the season. No playoffs, but will end on an upswing.

Direckshun
09-17-2007, 12:34 AM
I disagreed with quite a bit.

A Bowe/Webb/Sippio/Gonzalez is about two receivers actual away from scaring anybody.

Our front four got zero penetration. We have yet to get a single sack this year off a four-man rush. Wilkerson and Hali are nonexistant, and only occassionally do the DTs make anything happen on passing downs. Wilkerson's done nothing.

Surtain isn't getting beat that often -- it's Law who is getting beat more often.

Our young safeties have looked pretty good. Page especially. I think Pollard just needs more time in this scheme but he's on the right path.

Logical
09-17-2007, 12:40 AM
I got so confused I just voted for them all.:evil:

Deberg_1990
09-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Another random observation from me. Its time for the Bears to bring in Greise. Grossman, did everything he could to keep the Chiefs in this game. He just makes awful, awful decsions at times.

The Bears got lucky the Chiefs are so inept.