PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Chiefs offensive Coaches Let the Team Down

Deberg_1990
09-16-2007, 11:07 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/278367.html
CHICAGO | That’s how you get fired. That’s how you lose credibility in your locker room, with your fan base, with members of the media and the man who signs your check.

You throw a fade to Samie Parker, your smallest receiver, on third and 1 deep inside Bears territory late in the fourth quarter when Rex Grossman is desperately trying to let you back in the game.

In that situation, given your running back, a pass play is indefensible, a floater to Parker is a fireable offense, and the subsequent interception is exactly what you deserve.

Chiefs fans have every right to jump ship on head coach Herm Edwards, offensive coordinator Mike Solari and offensive manipulator/assistant head coach/locker-room snitch/clock manager Dick Curl.

Sunday’s 20-10 loss to the Bears was an offensive coaching nightmare.

“We’re playing like a bad team right now, especially on offense,” surmised guard Brian Waters.

It’s bigger than one play, but the fourth-quarter throw to Parker was a doozy.

Edwards said the play was designed to go to tight end Tony Gonzalez and that Parker was the third option. Quarterback Damon Huard said he threw to Parker because the defensive alignment — man-to-man on Parker with a safety in the middle of the field — pretty much dictated a throw to Kansas City’s 5-foot-9, 180-pound receiver.

I say: So what?

Why was a pass play called? Did anyone consider the Bears might’ve run that scheme in hopes of baiting the Chiefs into throwing the ball to Parker? It worked in the Bears’ favor in the first quarter when Huard tried to hit Parker deep on third and 2 at the Chicago 42.

“We were trying to make a play,” Huard said.

Why not try and make one with your $45 million running back/rapper, Larry Johnson? Didn’t the Chiefs give him all that money to make plays on third and short? If you’re going to throw a fade, why not put Dwayne Bowe and/or Jeff Webb in Parker’s slot? Bowe and Webb are both 6-2 and over 200 pounds.

Next week look for the Chiefs to run toss sweeps with Jason Dunn. The Vikings will never see that coming.

Poorly coached teams try too hard to be “unpredictable.” It doesn’t happen naturally, and the teams wind up looking completely foolish. Kansas City’s offensive game plan was high school-ish.

Yes, in order to beat the Bears, you have to occasionally throw when they’re expecting run and run when they’re expecting pass. But the Chiefs threw on third and short three times and they ran on third and long too many times to count.

Edwards, Solari and Curl owe their players an apology. I can’t find fault with the effort of any of Kansas City’s players with the exception of return man/punt-coverage gunner Eddie Drummond, who got destroyed on Devin Hester’s TD return. Drummond is 0-2 (a fumble in the season opener) and should be released this week.

I don’t have a problem with Huard. There’s going to be a quarterback controversy this week because Brodie Croyle came in at mop-up time and completed four passes, including a 34-yarder. No quarterback can fix this offensive coaching mess.

I certainly don’t have a problem with Kansas City’s defensive players. They did exactly what they were supposed to do. Donnie Edwards and Napoleon Harris intercepted Rex Grossman. Bernard Pollard ripped the ball from the arms of a Chicago receiver. The Bears sustained one drive.

The Chiefs are 0-2 and a laughingstock because their offense stinks. The knock on Herm Edwards is that he can’t put together a sound offensive team. It’s the same knock that chased his mentor Tony Dungy out of Tampa Bay and into the loving arms of Peyton Manning and Indy offensive coordinator Tom Moore. It’s the same knock that is dogging Lovie Smith, another Cover 2 defensive coach who can’t produce an offense.

Do the Chiefs have a Peyton Manning to save Herm? Are the Chiefs moving to the horrid NFC anytime soon?

Herm better find an offensive clue soon or he’s going to get swept out of town by the same hurricane that’s coming for King Carl Peterson.

Hammock Parties
09-16-2007, 11:10 PM
No quarterback can fix this offensive coaching mess.

Bingo.

Whitlock pretty much stole my thunder...but I'll have some lightning.

Oh, and brilliant, brilliant column, jwhit. Enjoyed it immensely...especially the last line. ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2007, 11:11 PM
I love that Whitlock takes that piece of shit Dick Curl to task as well.

F*ck that f*cking cocksucker.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2007, 11:11 PM
JW is still bringing up the Dick Curl "snitch" stuff....ive never heard anyone else talk about this???

kcxiv
09-16-2007, 11:14 PM
whitlock has got some good points.

Mr Luzcious
09-16-2007, 11:15 PM
"Kansas City’s offensive game plan was high school-ish."

QFT

AZChief
09-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Whitlock nailed it...

teedubya
09-16-2007, 11:27 PM
JWhit owns it.

**** Carl. Curl. Herm. Solari.

**** all yall.

ChiefaRoo
09-16-2007, 11:38 PM
I agree with Whitlock and Ari the retard.

Dylan
09-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Jason Witlock's message is powerful. Whitlock gave a voice to the fans. When a sports journalist expresses opinions about whether a process is working, not only does the fans not object, it often stands up and applauds. His message will be heard.

If other sports journalists had a list of words like these to read, it would be extremely useful of holding team owners accountable.

Sorry, I had to comment.

Good night

RustShack
09-17-2007, 12:22 AM
yea... START CROYLE!!!

Chiefs Pantalones
09-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Amen Jason!

Redcoats58
09-17-2007, 01:37 AM
I love that last line!

keg in kc
09-17-2007, 01:41 AM
The irony is that, had the Chiefs tried to run the ball, and LJ had failed to get the first down, the fanbase would have rioted and Whitlock would have written an article blasting the team for not calling a pass play.

Hammock Parties
09-17-2007, 01:43 AM
The irony is that, had the Chiefs tried to run the ball, and LJ had failed to get the first down, the fanbase would have rioted and Whitlock would have written an article blasting the team for not calling a pass play.

I highly doubt it. The Chiefs were in field goal range. Rayner probably would have made the kick. Then our defense would have given up a 9-minute drive for a TD and Whitlock could rip the defense for being overrated. :)

kcxiv
09-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Yeah, on 3rd and 1? come on now.

keg in kc
09-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Yeah, on 3rd and 1? come on now.After 9 years watching this team and its fanbase, absolutely. Hell, what this situation comes down to is blasting the team for attacking on offense after complaing for months about how the offense is too conservative. Well, folks, if you want aggressive, there's going to be a chance of picks on 3rd and 1. Make up your minds, can't have it both ways.

As for Whitlock, he's covered whatever happens. If they pass, he writes a column talking about how bad it was. If they run, he writes a column talking about how bad it was.

In any case, I actually liked the call. You know the bears will be waiting for LJ, so you do something they don't expect. It should fall on Huard's shoulders, not the coaches. He threw a stupid pass and he threw it poorly.

Just my opinion.

elvomito
09-17-2007, 02:06 AM
In any case, I actually liked the call. You know the bears will be waiting for LJ, so you do something they don't expect. It should fall on Huard's shoulders, not the coaches. He threw a stupid pass and he threw it poorly.

Just my opinion.i like it too. the only problem i can foresee is herm withdrawing into his shell of conservationism even more since it failed. i hope he attacks even more in the future.

kcxiv
09-17-2007, 02:13 AM
When you have LJ and 3rd and 1 and they passed it. i dont think they would have gotten mad. Then again you never know.

Either way, we are 0-2.

J Diddy
09-17-2007, 03:11 AM
whitlock is a pussy

KCCHIEFS27
09-17-2007, 03:37 AM
Okay Whitlock, we need to try and catch the defense off guard by running when they expect pass, yet pass when they expect run? Isn't third and one a running situation? I think thats why they threw a pass. By the way, if that pass was maybe an inch or two farther thrown, it would have been a touchdown easily. Just a good play by Tillman. Running on 3rd and nine? I bet chicago was thinking pass, but our line couldn't really block the front 4 so that run didn't work. Whitlock is an idiotic fan with a pen and a pass to write articles. And just like LJ has to deal with hardly any holes to run through on offense, Drummond is going through the same situation on returns. Blockers are just staring as guys pass on by.

siberian khatru
09-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Home run.

Pushead2
09-17-2007, 06:21 AM
I have given up already on the season. This is terrible. And I have had enough of the horrid calls on offense. Good article

SDChief
09-17-2007, 06:28 AM
After 9 years watching this team and its fanbase, absolutely. Hell, what this situation comes down to is blasting the team for attacking on offense after complaing for months about how the offense is too conservative. Well, folks, if you want aggressive, there's going to be a chance of picks on 3rd and 1. Make up your minds, can't have it both ways.

As for Whitlock, he's covered whatever happens. If they pass, he writes a column talking about how bad it was. If they run, he writes a column talking about how bad it was.

Just my opinion.

I totally agree. the play suprised me totally. I fully expected a run and then a fg ATTEMPT if we didnt get it. I thought to myself after the play was over that he should have thrown it to somebody else, but if he had hit a pass for a TD there, the whole mood would have been different win or lose. the call took some guts, but I'm not sure if parker was the guy to have running that pattern. should have been webb or bowe.

movinbones
09-17-2007, 06:48 AM

No

beach tribe
09-17-2007, 06:52 AM
100% correct. Yes you should mix it up. Throw a fade on 2nd and 1. Not 3rd three fukin times.

Fairplay
09-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Great article.

Our coaching is god-awful.

beach tribe
09-17-2007, 06:56 AM
You know what the sad part is?

Herm will prolly use this as a reason to be MORE cosevative on offense...........dipshit

LOCOChief
09-17-2007, 06:59 AM
LJ would've been smashed in the backfield, the bears would've eaten that sh!t up. Whitlocks still a pussy.

beach tribe
09-17-2007, 07:01 AM
LJ would've been smashed in the backfield, the bears would've eaten that sh!t up. Whitlocks still a pussy.
I'll bet the play wouldn't have resulted in pick.

LOCOChief
09-17-2007, 07:04 AM
I'll bet the play wouldn't have resulted in pick.
True!

Bwana
09-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Good read

petegz28
09-17-2007, 07:11 AM
This is arguably one of Whitlock's BEST articles to date.

beach tribe
09-17-2007, 07:15 AM
This is arguably one of Whitlock's BEST articles to date.
Agreed

PhillyChiefFan
09-17-2007, 07:22 AM
To me, its not the fact that they threw on 3rd and 1, its the pass selection that bothers me. Parker is too small to make a play on a jump ball like that. Especially a poorly thrown jump ball. Good for them for trying to step out of the realm of run run pass punt, but they should have thrown a safer pass. Huard did not check down his receivers like he should have, yes, but why put Samie Parker in for redzone drives when you have bigger and more physical receivers who can go up and TAKE the ball. For once I completely agree with Whitlock.

jjchieffan
09-17-2007, 07:24 AM
I quit reading that retards bs a long time ago. He is an antagonist. It wouldn' matter if Jimmy Johnson was the coach, and we won the superbowl. He would find something negative to write about. Lucky for him, we are 0-2, so slamming the team is easier than ever now.

beach tribe
09-17-2007, 07:25 AM
To me, its not the fact that they threw on 3rd and 1, its the pass selection that bothers me. Parker is too small to make a play on a jump ball like that. Especially a poorly thrown jump ball. Good for them for trying to step out of the realm of run run pass punt, but they should have thrown a safer pass. Huard did not check down his receivers like he should have, yes, but why put Samie Parker in for redzone drives when you have bigger and more physical receivers who can go up and TAKE the ball. For once I completely agree with Whitlock.
Play calling in general=HORRIBLE.

wutamess
09-17-2007, 07:28 AM
How is Dick Curl a "snitch"? What'd I miss?

Duck Dog
09-17-2007, 07:30 AM
I quit reading that retards bs a long time ago. He is an antagonist. It wouldn' matter if Jimmy Johnson was the coach, and we won the superbowl. He would find something negative to write about. Lucky for him, we are 0-2, so slamming the team is easier than ever now.

You are correct, sensationalism sells. Problem is; this time he's right. Great article.

HypnotizedMonkey
09-17-2007, 07:31 AM
This article should be dropped from airplanes like war propaganda.

dirk digler
09-17-2007, 07:38 AM
After 9 years watching this team and its fanbase, absolutely. Hell, what this situation comes down to is blasting the team for attacking on offense after complaing for months about how the offense is too conservative. Well, folks, if you want aggressive, there's going to be a chance of picks on 3rd and 1. Make up your minds, can't have it both ways.

Just my opinion.

I semi-agree with you Keg but the Chiefs threw the ball 3 times on 3rd and 1. I guess I don't understand the point of paying LJ $100 million dollars to do nothing.

As for the article Whitlock nailed it.

ChiefsFan4Life
09-17-2007, 07:49 AM
One of Whitlock's best pieces. It's as if he was speaking exactly for me. Loved it.

The Chiefs need to wake the **** up

FloridaMan88
09-17-2007, 08:09 AM
This goes back to Herm not being secure enough to hire a strong offensive coordinator (like Tony Dungy has with Tom Moore). The Chiefs need an offensive coordinator who is willing to stand up to Herm's ultra-conservative tendancies, but instead Herm goes with puppets like Slowlari and Curled Dick whom he can easily control.

Otter
09-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Herm better find an offensive clue soon or he’s going to get swept out of town by the same hurricane that’s coming for King Carl Peterson.

:rockon: :BLVD:

Deberg_1990
09-17-2007, 08:27 AM
The entire problem JW has is not just throwing a bomb on 3rd and 1. Its also who they decided to throw to. The shortest, worst handed WR on the team. WTF???? Sammie didnt even make an attempt to fight for the ball. Typical...

OnTheWarpath15
09-17-2007, 08:35 AM
The entire problem JW has is not just throwing a bomb on 3rd and 1. Its also who they decided to throw to. The shortest, worst handed WR on the team. WTF???? Sammie didnt even make an attempt to fight for the ball. Typical...

It wasn't who THEY decided to throw to.

It was who DAMON decided to throw to.

Samie Parker.

5'11"

Who was the THIRD option on the play.

Yet he never looked at the first two options.

I'm not upset with the call. I'm upset with the decision Damon made.

And had we run the ball and come up short, Whitlock would have been bitching that we tried to pound the ball into the teeth of one of the best Defenses in the league.

Fish
09-17-2007, 08:36 AM
A question comes to mind concerning that play....

If Parker had caught the ball for a first down, would anyone have still said it was a bad play call?

I'm not defending the play, I think we should have run.

Zouk
09-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Bingo.

Whitlock pretty much stole my thunder...but I'll have some lightning.

Oh, and brilliant, brilliant column, jwhit. Enjoyed it immensely...especially the last line. ROFL

It's unbelievable how quickly you did a 360 after a completely predictable start to the year. 2 road games against good defenses, with the only legit experienced NFL WR on the sidelines, Bowe still learning the plays, LJ getting his legs, and Svitek playing LT in more than half the snaps.

Everything will look different in a month. And probably with Croyle in there.

Iowanian
09-17-2007, 08:40 AM
I still say, I don't have a problem that they passed vs Chicaco's D on 3rd and 1......it just should have been a PA.

Fish
09-17-2007, 08:41 AM

Samie Parker.

5'11"

And had we run the ball and come up short, Whitlock would have been bitching that we tried to pound the ball into the teeth of one of the best Defenses in the league.

Exactly. I'm sure many of the same people would be clamoring about how conservative and predictable we are.

We gave Damon a chance, he made a bad decision.

RealSNR
09-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Unlike a few in this thread, I DO have a problem with throwing on 3rd and 1. It's absolutely hypocritical of this so-called "philosophy" we're trying to build on offense. That we're a smash-mouth, in-your-face-ram-it-down-your-throat-type team. You know what those kinds of teams do on 3rd and 1, even if the defense is playing all 11 guys close to the line of scrimmage?

THEY STILL RUN THE BALL. Because they're tougher, meaner, and they want it more.

Throwing the ball on 3rd and 1 completely shits that philosophy out the window. You take all the crappy run-run-pass drives that you worked so hard to establish earlier in the game and when it finally comes time for those to pay off, you don't run it. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

We DO have talent on the offensive side of the ball. We have the ability to put points on the board, but this playcalling BS is absolutely killing us, and I'm sick to death of it. Solari needs to be fired. Yesterday.

RealSNR
09-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Phil Simms and Jim Nantz, who suck as commentators, even spotted that. Phil said "that's an odd call for the Chiefs to make on 3rd and short" earlier in the game. Hell, Tony Kornheiser probably could have spotted that one.

What is going through Solari's head at that moment? :shake:

beach tribe
09-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Unlike a few in this thread, I DO have a problem with throwing on 3rd and 1. It's absolutely hypocritical of this so-called "philosophy" we're trying to build on offense. That we're a smash-mouth, in-your-face-ram-it-down-your-throat-type team. You know what those kinds of teams do on 3rd and 1, even if the defense is playing all 11 guys close to the line of scrimmage?

THEY STILL RUN THE BALL. Because they're tougher, meaner, and they want it more.

Throwing the ball on 3rd and 1 completely shits that philosophy out the window. You take all the crappy run-run-pass drives that you worked so hard to establish earlier in the game and when it finally comes time for those to pay off, you don't run it. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

We DO have talent on the offensive side of the ball. We have the ability to put points on the board, but this playcalling BS is absolutely killing us, and I'm sick to death of it. Solari needs to be fired. Yesterday.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Meck
09-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't mind the call, and while I'm no Huard fan, I don't mind the throw. Damon doesn't throw a very good deep ball overall, and it was pretty well thrown.

The problem I have is that Parker was the receiver he threw to. Parker is too small to fight for the ball; we have a couple of big, physical receivers and a fade is a pretty damned simple route. No excuse not to have had Bowe or Webb in that position at that time for that play.

I felt in the entire first half that the Bears didn't have to respect the deep ball at all and could cheat up to stuff the run and short passing game. It wasn't until we took a few shots downfield that anything opened up at all.

And, not to be a broken record, but if Huard a)isn't going to make good decisions and b)can't stretch the field and c)can't elude a passrush at all, then I see no reason at all to not be playing Croyle.

Sure-Oz
09-17-2007, 09:02 AM

Just my opinion.
3rd and 1 you run and get the first down, this isn't the ****ing Sb rams offense....we have one of the best rb's in the NFL, no brainer, he can't get 1 yard then it's his fault.

seclark
09-17-2007, 09:08 AM
You are correct, sensationalism sells. Problem is; this time he's right. Great article.
yep...broken clock's right twice a day

Chiefnj2
09-17-2007, 09:11 AM
3rd and 1 you run and get the first down, this isn't the ****ing Sb rams offense....we have one of the best rb's in the NFL, no brainer, he can't get 1 yard then it's his fault.

Exactly. The strength of the team is the interior of the OL, plus Dunn is one of the better blocking TE's in the NFL and TG is pretty good as well. You paid LJ 19 mil to run, not catch 1 yard passes on 3rd and 12.

Micjones
09-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Croyle will help the staff use more of the offensive playbook.

And I think he'll take more chances than Huard has.
I honestly think Huard's injury is more serious than we know.

We're 0-2.
Time to start Croyle.

Color Red
09-17-2007, 09:16 AM
The point is, at the risk of seeming too predictable by calling LJ's number again, the Chiefs did decide with his new contract that he was going to be the bread and butter, the go-to guy for the team.

Like someone said, you paid him the big bucks to get the ball at moments like that and to take care of the business. The moment came and you decided to be creative instead.

At least if you went to LJ and they stuffed him, you'd have been consistent, but had a chance for a field goal. Now fans are saying, "they are paying winners with the big bucks, but playing the losers with the big plays. Now we've spent the bank and we're 0 and 2. It's the worst of both worlds."

Micjones
09-17-2007, 09:19 AM
They get cute when it's time to keep things simple.
And keep things simple when it's time to get cute.

Hopefully... They start Croyle and make that entire decision-making process easier.

petegz28
09-17-2007, 09:27 AM

Samie Parker.

5'11"

I'm upset with Huard's choice and that comes from lack of coaching.
I think it's more acceptable to say the Bears stopped your run on 3rd and 1 than We tried a high risk pass not once but twice down the sidelines to our shortest WR.

the Talking Can
09-17-2007, 09:29 AM

well said

that's evidence of a coordinator in over his head

Chiefnj2
09-17-2007, 09:32 AM
It was really 2 down territory IMO. How many times did KC get that far in Chicago territory previously? Once?

beach tribe
09-17-2007, 09:33 AM

Hopefully... They start Croyle and make that entire decision-making process easier.
Who is Micjones? The guy who just summed it up.

el borracho
09-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Just like last week, we are seeing too many passes to the TEs (4) and RBs (10) and not enough passes to the WRs (7). If you combine the TEs and RBs into one category that means the WRs amount to only half of the receptions. That is a huge problem, IMO, and we won't win many games at all with that kind of offense. It is no wonder LJ has no running room. Why would opposing defenses respect our passing game?

boogblaster
09-17-2007, 09:41 AM
3rd and 1 should have been a LJ hand-off period...it was a 2 down area at that time..they missed a chance to score with plenty of time left..and yes our offensive coaches are stupid .....

Extra Point
09-17-2007, 09:43 AM
It only took JW two weeks to write what most of the Planet has observed and posted the past 6 weeks:

**** you, Carl!!!!

wutamess
09-17-2007, 09:45 AM
WTF is Curl labeled a snitch?
What'd I miss?

StcChief
09-17-2007, 09:45 AM
The pass to Samie was the wrong choice I think they know that now.