PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Whitlock Posnanski: Start Croyle Now!

Deberg_1990
09-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I guess he wants to start a QB controversy...

http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/278351.html

CHICAGO | Chiefs coach Herm Edwards smiled just a little after I asked him the question. “You going to start a quarterback controversy?” he asked.

Sure. Why not? Here it is: It’s time. Bench Damon Huard. Start Brodie Croyle.

A few things became clear Sunday afternoon as the sun set over Soldier Field. One, the Chiefs have absolutely no idea how to tackle Devin Hester. Two, the only way the Chiefs’ offense can score touchdowns these days is to have a receiver run the wrong route. They might want to put that crazy Dwayne-Bowe-takes-the-ball-away-from-Tony-Gonzalez play in the playbook (although in that case Bowe might run a different wrong route). Three, a Bears opponent is never completely out of the game as long as Rex Grossman is the quarterback.

And four, the big one, it’s time for the Chiefs to go with Croyle.

This doesn’t have anything to do with panic. OK, well, yeah, it might have a little something to do with panic. The Chiefs are 0-2. They should feel a little panic. They are the only team in the NFL that hasn’t won a game yet going back to the preseason. They have looked miserable on offense. Hopeless. This is a team heading for a long, dry season unless something drastic happens.

As Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez said, “Something’s gotta be done.”

Well, what can be done? The Chiefs are not exactly a team overflowing with options. They could let “Hard Knocks” star Bobby Sippio play a little receiver. They could have angel of death Ray Farmer walk through the locker room carrying a scythe. They could cut another kicker. Edwards could unleash another classic, “You play to win the game,” rant — those are always entertaining.

None of those things, though, seems likely to make a difference. No, the Chiefs are not stalling. They are freefalling. It’s time to break the emergency glass. It’s time to bring in Brodie Croyle.

But this isn’t just about shaking things up. The Chiefs have lost faith in Huard. There’s no doubt about that. The reason Edwards went with Huard to start the season is because he’s a veteran guy, he’s been there before, he played well much of last year, he supposedly has that mystical ability to, as coaches say, “manage the game.” Edwards had wanted to go with Croyle, but the guy looked dazed and confused all during the preseason. Edwards felt like he had no choice. Croyle was given a chance to win the job. He did not win it. Edwards figured that Huard had been through a few football wars.

“He gives us our best chance to win right now,” Edwards would say.

Well, that quote has been turned inside out. The Chiefs played Sunday as if they believed that Huard had no chance to win the game. You didn’t need Bill Belichick’s secret film crew to predict what that Chiefs’ offense was going to do. The whole offensive game plan was built around draw plays, 3-yard slant passes to Jeff Webb and dump-offs to Kris Wilson. It was surprising that Huard didn’t have training wheels on his shoes.

And for most of the second half it looked as if the Chiefs were simply trying to keep the score respectable. Three times on third and long — when trailing by more than a touchdown — the Chiefs ran the football. That’s high school stuff.

The irony, of course, is that on third and 1 in the fourth quarter, the Chiefs did give Huard a chance to throw. He made a bad decision — he tried to float a fade pattern pass to Samie Parker (generously listed at 5 feet 11 in your Chiefs media guide). The ball was knocked away and then intercepted. That ended things. Privately (and not so privately) Chiefs coaches and players were upset. This is exactly the kind of game-killing decision they were hoping to avoid by starting the veteran Huard.

With about three and a half minutes left in the game, Brodie Croyle came in. Instantly, things were electric, exciting, he hit all five of his passes, he drove the Chiefs down the field, there was energy and hope. Croyle threw a beautiful 34-yard pass to Webb — the longest pass play of the game for either team. Now, nobody is kidding anybody here — it was the end of the game, the Bears were in a prevent defense, the game was more or less over, it was all pretty meaningless. Croyle understood that.

He still looked awfully good.

“Obviously, in that situation, we’re two scores down, they’re going to play a certain kind of defense,” Croyle said. “But it was a step forward for me personally.”

Hey, nobody is saying that Croyle is ready to step in and be a young Joe Namath. He would undoubtedly make mistakes, force bad throws, take bad sacks — there would be some pain. But there’s plenty of pain now. Croyle’s got that great arm, that enthusiasm, that charisma — he might make some plays and change the mood.

One thing is clear: The Chiefs can’t keep going the way they’re going. The defense is getting frustrated with the offense. The offensive stars — Larry Johnson and Gonzalez in particular — are losing patience. The older guys and younger guys on the team are beginning to splinter. This season is dying. Herm Edwards can’t let the season die without at least trying the bold move.

“Are you ready to start Brodie Croyle?” I asked Herm Edwards as he was walking out of the locker room.

“You going to start a quarterback controversy?” he asked back.

“Yes,” I said.

“I have faith in Damon,” he said finally. “But I do believe Brodie is our future.”

Consider the controversy started.

AZChief
09-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Only in KC would a coach try to rebuild with a 34 year old QB...pathetic.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm trying to figure out how a team blitzes in a prevent D.

SPchief
09-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Bold prediction: CROYLE WILL START NEXT WEEK

big nasty kcnut
09-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Hell yeah we need a gunslinger.

RustShack
09-16-2007, 11:43 PM

We can only hope! Huards a turd

SBK
09-17-2007, 12:09 AM
We can only hope! Huards a turd

perhaps he should be called hTurd?

bobbything
09-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Yes. Cosign and cosign.

KCChiefsMan
09-17-2007, 02:05 AM
I agree now. Start Croyle!!! NOW! for the entire season. Let's see if we need to draft a QB in the top 5 or not. If he looks good and promising, then take a nice LT or whatever, if he doesn't grab the top QB.

FAX
09-17-2007, 03:52 AM

Good point, right there. Good point.

FAX

mcan
09-17-2007, 04:50 AM
When we hit that pass my friend Curt looked at me and asked, "What's going on, are they in a prevent or something?"

"Nope, they just blitzed the crap out of us, and the announcers just got done talking for 3 minutes about how awesome the Bears' defensive coordinator is for getting everybody up on the line of scrimmage and bringing the heat."

The fact is, the pass was easier to make because when you put everybody on the line, you get man coverage and the safety was playing the middle of the field and not that sideline. Croyle got a bit of protection and BAM... A great throw.

My advice:
Don't get used to it.

the Talking Can
09-17-2007, 05:58 AM
"And for most of the second half it looked as if the Chiefs were simply trying to keep the score respectable. Three times on third and long — when trailing by more than a touchdown — the Chiefs ran the football. That’s high school stuff."

And that is truth. We play to lose.

And we're grooming a 53 yr old career backup.

Iowanian
09-17-2007, 08:15 AM
I still don't think the Chiefs will start Croyle until week 5.

Huard will dink and dunk enough next week at home vs Minn, and get destroyed at Sandy Eggo...and the Croyle 'hook'd on Footbalix' course starts week 5 in the safety of Arrowhead.

dirk digler
09-17-2007, 08:24 AM
I agree we should start Croyle. The problem for me in this article is the D is getting pissed at the O. WTF? The O carried this team for the past 6 years and they are already complaining after 2 games?

Skip Towne
09-17-2007, 08:25 AM

Huard will dink and dunk enough next week at home vs Minn, and get destroyed at Sandy Eggo...and the Croyle 'hook'd on Footbalix' course starts week 5 in the safety of Arrowhead.
If he screws up he'll be booed unmercifully in the "safety of Arrowhead".

pikesome
09-17-2007, 08:26 AM
I agree we should start Croyle. The problem for me in this article is the D is getting pissed at the O. WTF? The O carried this team for the past 6 years and they are already complaining after 2 games?

How much of that D is still here? There's been a lot of turnover.

Iowanian
09-17-2007, 08:31 AM

That'll be on him.

If everyone were at the mental place I am, this wouldn't be so bad. I KNOW the Chiefs aren't very good this year, they're trying to get younger and I accept what comes with that.

If Croyle starts IN Sandy Eggo.....crowd noise, pressure and the like only make it worse.....At least at home, he's not fighting the crowd too....unless he Rex Grossman's up the field.

I accept that he's going to make mistakes. I assume this season is going nowhere except the top half of the April Draft, and I want to find out if the Chiefs have a QB or not.

OnTheWarpath15
09-17-2007, 08:42 AM

Hell, Trent Green was booed in the "safety of Arrowhead."

All he did was throw for 4000 yards 3 times.....

I fully expect WHOEVER plays on Sunday to be booed.

I'm calling it now.

First drive, 3-and-out.

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

dirk digler
09-17-2007, 08:45 AM
How much of that D is still here? There's been a lot of turnover.

No more than 1 or 2 but still they have no right to bitch. The majority of the offense that played during those times are still here.

dirk digler
09-17-2007, 08:45 AM

I'm calling it now.

First drive, 3-and-out.

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

As well as they should. The O deserves to be booed until the fix the ****ing problem

crazycoffey
09-17-2007, 08:54 AM

that's not so bold. I agree, Croyle Vs. the Vikes....

InChiefsHeaven
09-17-2007, 09:27 AM
I hope it's Croyle vs. the Vikes. This is my annual trip to Arrowhead, I'd like to see Croyle. I mean, I don't really care, I just love going to the games at Arrowhead, but I'd really like to see the kid play. Why not?? What, we're going to lose or something? Shit...

...yeah, I suspect that Huard's "hand injury" will be hard to overcome, and Herm will "have" to start Croyle...

Sure-Oz
09-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Id like croyle to start at home, im just glad he played some and looked as if he was just playing rather than thinking!

Hootie
09-17-2007, 10:41 AM
so JoPo and even Croyle himself admit it was a prevent D, but old Hamas doesn't think so...

ROFL

Hootie
09-17-2007, 10:43 AM

wow, bold prediction

oh wait, I've said that exact same thing for the last four months and have been laughed at the entire time!

I'M SO DUMB

Hootie
09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
No...

When we fall to 1-3 and he's named the starter...most Chiefs faithful will have given up on the season and Croyle will have no pressure...because if he does **** up then at least the fans already got to see what our team was like with Huard at QB...there will be no shock factor.

BigRedChief
09-17-2007, 10:48 AM

I'm calling it now.

First drive, 3-and-out.

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Yep, Chiefs nation is not in a good mood. I can already tell the fans will be merciless on Sunday. There will be slack given to a Huard led offense. Unless Croyle starts then there is going to be some major booing this Sunday.

Archie Bunker
09-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Yep, Chiefs nation is not in a good mood. I can already tell the fans will be merciless on Sunday. There will be slack given to a Huard led offense. Unless Croyle starts then there is going to be some major booing this Sunday.

Its gonna get real ugly Sunday. 80,000 people ready to show the world how pissed off they are.

PastorMikH
09-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Stat-wise, Huard did not appear to have that bad of a game yesterday. He hit 67% of his passes, and had a low 80s QB rating. But if you saw the game, GEEESH!!!! There were times I was working hard to resist the urge to root for chicago's DL to pounce on him, not hurt him bad or anything, just rough him up so he had to come out.

Croyle showed more poise in that one drive that Huard has shown all season. His passes were quick and desicive. He showed he can go through progressions and hit the checkdown guys without dumping off to the RB. He showed the ability to do a three step drop and send the ball flying downfield - most importantly he showed the ability to go downfield and HIT A WR.

How can the Chiefs NOT go with Croyle at this point? I don't think they will, I think Huard will keep getting the nod for a while, but how in the world can they justify NOT playing Croyle at this point?

Sure-Oz
09-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Huard is pretty awesome completing 2-5 yard routes that are thrown at the snap!

PastorMikH
09-17-2007, 11:38 AM

Especially when it's 3rd and 6

:banghead::banghead:

Raiderhater
09-17-2007, 11:41 AM
What a difference a year makes....

crazycoffey
09-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Its gonna get real ugly Sunday. 80,000 people ready to show the viewing population inside an 80 mile radius of KC how pissed off they are.

FYP...

Wilson
09-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Stat-wise, Huard did not appear to have that bad of a game yesterday. He hit 67% of his passes, and had a low 80s QB rating. But if you saw the game, GEEESH!!!! There were times I was working hard to resist the urge to root for chicago's DL to pounce on him, not hurt him bad or anything, just rough him up so he had to come out.

Croyle showed more poise in that one drive that Huard has shown all season. His passes were quick and desicive. He showed he can go through progressions and hit the checkdown guys without dumping off to the RB. He showed the ability to do a three step drop and send the ball flying downfield - most importantly he showed the ability to go downfield and HIT A WR.

How can the Chiefs NOT go with Croyle at this point? I don't think they will, I think Huard will keep getting the nod for a while, but how in the world can they justify NOT playing Croyle at this point?

The same reason a GM that hasn't won a playoff game in 14 years is still starting: stupidity, greed, stuborness and the peter principle.

Archie Bunker
09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
FYP...

LMAO Thanks

pikesome
09-17-2007, 11:50 AM
No more than 1 or 2 but still they have no right to bitch. The majority of the offense that played during those times are still here.

The D has every right to bitch. There's only so much that can be done if Huard and Co are going to go 25 mins between 1st downs. Maybe someone important will hear it and grow the required nads to make something happen on offense.

Raiderhater
09-17-2007, 12:01 PM
If I am on the offense and one of the guys from the D starts in on the O I would quickly remind them of the Cleveland game just last year and tell them to mind their own damn business. The offense did their best to support the D the past several years, now it's the D's turn to show support.

Leave the calling out to the coaches and us.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
so JoPo and even Croyle himself admit it was a prevent D, but old Hamas doesn't think so...

ROFL

What would you call a team rushing more than 4 down lineman?

If it's not a blitz, what is it? Are the defenders being welcomed as liberators?

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Someone needs to tell Solari if he's gonna script the first 12 plays for our offense that he should not include every fourth play a punt.

orange
09-17-2007, 01:23 PM

If it's not a blitz, what is it? Are the defenders being welcomed as liberators?

The "Surge" defense!

talastan
09-17-2007, 01:23 PM
I want Brodie to step up and take the reins of this team. As far as the wait until the time is right method for bringing in Croyle, **** that!! I want a QB who can handle pressure, who can recover against a top five defense, like Chicago or Sandy Eggo. I want a QB who if he plays badly, even after being booed by the home crowd, will recover and drive the offense down the field to score. Croyle must prove all of this and more if he is indeed the QBotF. Because only if he can do all of this will he be able to lead this team to a championship!!

As for the Defense calling out the Offense, Hell yeah!! The Offense called out the Defense for over the past six years. This is a team!!! Both sides of the ball must play strong in order for us to CONSISENTLY win games. I'm all for the Defense holding the Offense accountable for how they play.

crazycoffey
09-17-2007, 01:25 PM

a Base 5-3 or 6-2, silly....

bobbything
09-17-2007, 01:46 PM
If I am on the offense and one of the guys from the D starts in on the O I would quickly remind them of the Cleveland game just last year and tell them to mind their own damn business. The offense did their best to support the D the past several years, now it's the D's turn to show support.

Actually, I think they're even steven after the 90's.

Chief Henry
09-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Run draw plays on 3rd and Long.
Herm said he liked "matchups" on the draw plays.
Wow, what matchups do our coach's think we have on our offensive line going against the
Bears Defense. Nice job coach's on your game planning and player personel observations.

Now picking the #1 draft choice for this years draft,
the KC Chiefs. We'll prolly **** that up too.

BigRedChief
09-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Now picking the #1 draft choice for this years draft,
the KC Chiefs. We'll prolly **** that up too.
Wellll we did screw up the #6 pick. We should be able to step up our screw ups to that level.

Chiefnj2
09-17-2007, 02:10 PM
"The older guys and younger guys on the team are beginning to splinter."

I wonder what that means and how they are 'splintering'.

ct
09-17-2007, 02:10 PM

Actually he sucks at this too!

go bo
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
if we do get a high pick, we'll probably trade down to get another o-lineman to follow in black's steps...

or how 'bout a nice tight end or two? we really need a stud at rb too...

i better call clayton and have him get carl to fire herm right away...

this is all too horrible for words...

PastorMikH
09-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Actually, after watching Huard throw the ball yesterday, I had more faith in the draw play than I did him passing the ball.