PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of the first two games

donkhater
09-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Team-wise:
The Good: The defense, clearly. They've given up 10 pts in each of the first two games (two FGs were on the special teams IMO) and are currently 8th in total defense (may move up after tonight's game).

Only giving up 3.6 yards per rush (T-9) against two pretty good (not great) running teams, on the road and playing from behind.

Giving up 6.9 yer pass (16th). Not great, but not that bad.

7 sacks (T-3) and 5 turnovers.

We get a top DE back and finally play a home game. Things are looking pretty good. Until.....

The Bad:Special teams

50% FG, fumble in opponent territory, big returns, 1 for TD. The only saving grace is that they've probably faced the two most dangerous return teams in the league. Definately contributed to KC's first two losses.

The Ugly:The offense.

The play calling is head scratching at times. Overall the game plan is pretty sound given who is behind center, but in certain situations you have to wonder if the coaches are watching the same game the rest of us are.

Total offense: 255 yd/game (28th)
Rush: 71 yd/game (27th) Unacceptable. Although getting behind will make running tougher. KC is averaging 3.5 yards/rush (23rd)
Pass: 199 yd/game (24th) (This surprised the heck out of me. I could not believe there are 8 teams worse than KC passing the ball.)
TO: 5 (3 picks, 2 fumbles). Unacceptable. This is the reason Huard was chosen to start. I reckon Herm will give him one more game (at home) to clean up his act. If he doesn't, then there is no excuse not to start Croyle. NONE.

Individually:
The Good:
Linebackers--All active and blitzing well.
Page--Has been around the ball and doesn't make many mistakes.
Bowe and Parker--Better than most expected going into the season. Both deserve more opportunities to help the team.
LJ--He's running very hard and you can tell he cares enough to speak out. The line and game situations aren't helping him much.

The Bad:
Pollard--good aggressive player, but seems to have poor ball/recognition skills. Hopefully he'll come around. Certainly has more upside than Wesley at this point.
Kris Wilson--Made one good play when he was wide open. Other than that, he was on pace to have a 90-catch, 90-yard season.
Offensive line--They've held up better than expected, but they are not opening holes for LJ (likely due to 9 in the box) and this team needs them to be stellar.

The Ugly:
Huard--He is what he is and it ain't good. Croyle didn't win the job in camp, but he still looked better than Huard. 5.6 yards per pass attempt, 1:3 TD/INT ratio.
Eddie Drummond--fumbles a punt and then overruns Hester on his TD return. Seems like a good cover guy on punt teams, but hasn't done much to get excited about yet. If he hadn't fumbled he may not even be on this list. But any veteran that is playing ahead of young talent will get called out for making errors like that (see Huard, Damon).

Special catagory--Coyote Ugly:
Herm Edwards--Personnel decisions aside (which are really CP's fault IMO), he his a horrid decision maker. 3rd and 1 at the 16, down 2 scores and you pass, yet 3 and forever you run? Every time? He bashed the previous regime for scoring to fast and didn't give the defense enough time to rest. How do 3 and outs compare to that, Herm? You punt the ball with 4 minutes to go and down 2 scores. WHAT???? GO for it early in the game. Send a message you aren't scared!!!!!
The game plans are somewhat sound, but his situational game day execution is pathetic.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-17-2007, 10:21 AM
The Ugly:

Eddie Drumond - The next time he runs the ball out of the end zone and fails to at least reach the 20, he should be taken out and given lessons on the NFL rulebook explaining what a touchback is.

That is unforgiveable for an <i>All-Pro</i> return man.

Archie Bunker
09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Is McGraw hurt? I think he would help the special teams out a great deal. He has always been a good special teamer and looked good on them in the preseason.

donkhater
09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I will add this for those (like me) that are getting a little frustrated with this team.

It is eeirly similar to last season. Crappy preseason. Humiliating opener. A close to the vest tight loss to a good team on the road in game 2. Evenour starting QB got his bell rung a bit.
The offense still looks overmatched on the road (like it did ALL LAST SEASON).

We can only hope the backup QB plays, KC gets some momentum and starts winning some games at Arrowhead.

CupidStunt
09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know where you get 7 sacks from. I count 5 - and only one from our DL. ZERO from the DEs.

donkhater
09-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't know where you get 7 sacks from. I count 5 - and only one from our DL. ZERO from the DEs.
I got it from NFL.com. Maybe I read it wrong and it said we've given up 7 sacks.

donkhater
09-17-2007, 12:52 PM
You're right. It's only 5. If you click on the SACK column the number changes from 5 to 7. Seems like a glitch on their site.

jiveturkey
09-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I didn't expect much coming into this season so everything has looked about right to me.

With that being said I still think that Croyle should be in there stinking it up instead of Huard.

A top LT will look nice on the line next year.

donkhater
09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
This team is a LT, QB and head coach with balls from being very competitive.

My plan:
Start Croyle, take your lumps, fire Herm, draft a left tackle, hire Bill Cowher

Pasta Little Brioni
09-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Good QB play would go along way wouldn't it. damon's 2 yard dumpoffs is not going to cut it. Croyle needs to see the field.

MGRS13
09-17-2007, 01:04 PM

My plan:
Start Croyle, take your lumps, fire Herm, draft a left tackle, hire Bill CowherI'll take that unless after 14 games Croyle sux then you draft Brohm instead but at least we will know. Every week Clark Hunt should be on the phone with Cowher prepairing for the big sell.

patteeu
09-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree with most of the OP. The two things I don't really agree with are:

Good: LJ - What's he done that warrants putting him in this category. It may well be that he's being hampered by poor offensive line play, unimaginative play calling, and a lack of opportunity to get in any kind of rhythm, but what I see is a big monster of a man tip toeing tenatively up to the line and then leaning into the pile. Priest was able to pull this kind of thing off, but I think LJ is better served when he hits the hole (or the pile) at full speed.

Ugly: Huard - Maybe I don't disagree with this one too much. He hasn't been pretty, but he doesn't seemed to be the primary problem with our passing game IMO.

the Talking Can
09-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Team-wise:

I agree with all of that.

donkhater
09-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree with most of the OP. The two things I don't really agree with are:

Good: LJ - What's he done that warrants putting him in this category. It may well be that he's being hampered by poor offensive line play, unimaginative play calling, and a lack of opportunity to get in any kind of rhythm, but what I see is a big monster of a man tip toeing tenatively up to the line and then leaning into the pile. Priest was able to pull this kind of thing off, but I think LJ is better served when he hits the hole (or the pile) at full speed.

I think he is running hard. The fact that this team puts themselves behind the 8-ball and has to play catch up really hurts his touches. Not only that, but for him to get into rythym with his line, they have got to convert third downs. 3-and-outs over and over will hamper any RB. He is running tough and drawing the defense in. Chicago had to be laughing their ass off. they were DARING KC to do anything other than run or pass longer than 5 yards and KC still refused to do it.

Ugly: Huard - Maybe I don't disagree with this one too much. He hasn't been pretty, but he doesn't seemed to be the primary problem with our passing game IMO.

See above. LJ's presence is giving this team plenty of opportunites to move the ball. Huard is a BIG reason why they aren't.

Dave Lane
09-17-2007, 02:18 PM

My plan:

WooHoo!!!!! :clap:

Dave

Nightfyre
09-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Anyone else think Schottenheimer would make a good GM? I would just pray his curse only applied when he coached.

the Talking Can
09-17-2007, 02:34 PM

My plan:

I would vote for you, if you ran for something.

donkhater
09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
I would vote for you, if you ran for something.
Well, here is my fantasy team:

QB: Kitna, Leinart

RB: Tomlinson, T. Jones, M. Lynch, M. Turner, S. Young

WR: T. Owens, S. Smith, S. Holmes

TE: Dallas Clark, Alge Crumpler

K: J. Reed (although I drop and pickup kickers based on schedule)

Def: Chicago

Looks pretty tough, but I'm 0-2. Ran up against 2 teams that got career days from their guys and lost by a combined 2 points. So I ain't batting any better than Carl.

HemiEd
09-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Do we even have a special teams coach? Who? Never ****ing heard of him.

Mecca
09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Our special teams are just awful....

Houston isn't a "great return team" or dangerous, Chicago is. It's gonna happen every week because for several years now our special teams have been ass.

aturnis
09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
As far as special teams are concerned. I think it would help loads just to activate Boomer, he has made a living on special teams, he's a real head-hunter, something this team could use.

Phinisee would have been a much better choice for return man. He's young with nothing but and upside and could POSSIBLY even contribute someday elsewhere on the field. Not only do I think he could be a better return man, but a better coverage man.

Between having Phinisee and Boomer on coverage, it would improve that facet of the game a lot.

KCTitus
09-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Anyone else think Schottenheimer would make a good GM? I would just pray his curse only applied when he coached.

We gotta taste of that in 1998...then we got to witness it again in 2001 in DC. No thanks...unless you meant Kurt or Brian...I think the jury's still out on them.

Mecca
09-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Our special teams is mostly coaching, there's a reason they've been crap for years...

No player is gonna change that.