PDA

View Full Version : I feel better about the team this week

Mr. Laz
09-17-2007, 01:04 PM
sounds strange ...... but i actually saw some stuff this week that brings a little hope.

1. Dwayne Bowe showed some stuff

2. Derrick Johnson had another pretty good game

3. Jeff Webb finally did something although he dropped some again

4. when we fell behind we actually opened the offense up a bit and it resulted in some good things.

5. Brodie Croyle looked alot more relaxed than he did in the preseason.

i still think the biggest problem on offense is coaching. A defensive Head coach like Herm who thinks Offense is a "necessary evil" combine with a unproven OC is a terrible combination.

i hate how we opened up the offense when forced to and it did good .... but then we went right back into our shell once we got close.

in the off-season i think we need to fire the entire offensive staff and bring in a proven veteran guy who will tell Herm to stay out.

some hope though ..... better than last week. :)

Pasta Little Brioni
09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
The play calling really sunk this team yesterday. running on every 3rd and long while not pounding the ball with LJ on 3rd and short really screwed them. mixing in a draw every now and then on 3rd and long is fine, but they ran every time Sunday. you want to go deep on 3rd and 1 that's fine too, but LJ needed that ball when they were in the redzone.

beach tribe
09-17-2007, 01:12 PM
I agree with all except DJ.

Yes, he did come off the edge unblocked a couple times, but Adrian peterson made him look silly.

I don't think he is a problem, but he did not have a very good game.

Mr. Laz
09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I agree with all except DJ.

Yes, he did come off the edge unblocked a couple times, but Adrian peterson made him look silly.

I don't think he is a problem, but he did not have a very good game.
1 bad play doesn't negate his whole game imo.

Carlota69
09-17-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree. D-Bowe is going to be awesome, our defense is doing very well and we managed a few good things on offense.

My issue is this--if we are going to endure a paniful season, then at least have a purpose. Having huard in there is pain without purpose. Croyle, as painful as it would be, would at least give us information and set us up for next year. At least we would be losing our ass for a good reason instead of this stagnant shit.

Yes, I have a little bit of hope as well, but I also want to see some heads roll.

beach tribe
09-17-2007, 01:17 PM
You're right Laz. It's just stuck in my head.

Simply Red
I think I agree with you entirely.

Archie Bunker
I'm with you Laz.

I like what I'm see out most of the young players and guys like Webb and Bowe are only going to get better especially if Croyle gets the nod soon. This offense can be potent IF the coaching staff lets it happen.

HemiEd
09-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I saw a lot of things about this team that was very encouraging yesterday.
But nothing about what I think is the biggest problem. SPECIAL TEAMS have killed us!
The worst special teams unit I have ever seen on a Chiefs team.

Frazod
09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
I said something similar to this during the game thread yesterday. We certainly played better yesterday than the week before. I don't give a crap if the Texans are 2-0 - that performance was shameful. Yesterday, not so much.

If we are truly in a rebuilding year, this is the type of game we should learn to expect when we play good teams - flashes of things to build on in close losses. Obviously the biggest problem right now is coaching (well that and the OL). Hopefully this year will see the end of Carl and Herm, and somebody with a brain and clue can get us back in the black next year.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm in love with Bowe. He's gonna be a good one

crazycoffey
09-17-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not in full agreement with you.

yes there were some high points, but the lows from this game are the same from last game, and that means we didn't correct them.

Playcalling? maybe - the QB's mentality? Probably more the problem. Huard isn't confident in his ability to do more.

D? - had some great moments but agian, when they need to stop someone, they aren't.

O? - flashes again, but no endurance, and turning the ball over in critical situations, not capitalizing on a turnover from the D, this week and last week.

Last week I wanted to blame it on "that's the way the ball bounces" and we wouldn't do it again, but two weeks in a row is getting dangerously close to making it a trend.

Frazod
09-17-2007, 01:23 PM
The defense only gave up 13 points. Damn, what do you want?

HypnotizedMonkey
09-17-2007, 01:25 PM
D.BOWE is the man. DJ got his ankles broken on that play... but we are pretty solid at LB. Hermie Ball will work out if they would quit committing so many turnovers and penalties... and *cough* D.BOWE is the man (again) ... he probably messed up the route on that TD(?) but atleast he held onto it .. now he's gotta buy TG KrispyKreme. Solid for a rookie. Could Samie Parker have fought a little more for that INT.. I know he was covered up pretty well but little dudes gotta be scrappy and he didn't show any sign of that there. He's done a decent job so far this season and it's definately Huard's mistake. I think the offense will explode in the home opener and the D will keep playing well.

crazycoffey
09-17-2007, 01:28 PM
The defense only gave up 13 points. Damn, what do you want?
more three and outs?
Hey, I gave 'em a bad rap above, I'll agree. They are doing very well, my only real complaint is - was it page beat for a TD last week? and wasn't it he that made a few mistakes this week? O does better and we see less of our D anyway and that will be a good thing.

both weeks we imploded and beat ourselves more than anything, we should be able to sustain the game more and finish a game. But two weeks of "we beat ourselves" isn't a good habit to start....
so I feel just as bad this week as last week.

RustShack
09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Get Dick Curls dick outa here! I'm all for a whole new offensive coaching staff, UNLESS if/when Brodie comes in they open up the offense a little more.

CupidStunt
09-17-2007, 01:30 PM
The thing I think I'm most happy about is after a year or even two (of adding offensive weapons and hopefully replacing Herm), our defense is going to be as good or even BETTER.

We'll have a couple key guys to replace, but it's also fair to assume that guys like Tank will be contributing by then and Pollard will have developed.

el borracho
09-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Replacing Huard (whenever that happens) will solve at least part of the problem. Huard always looks for the outlet.

By memory, the receptions through two games:
TEs and RBs: 24
WRs: 14

keg in kc
09-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I think Herm needs to figure out why his teams start slow, so we don't always look like we're playing our first preseason game week 1. Because I think that's the main reason for last week's abortion: poor preparation.

What the Chiefs proved yesterday is what I think most of us expected. That being that they're good enough to be competitive, but not good enough to make mistakes and win. If they're playing a team like Chicago, they have to be perfect.

Hopefully as the talent level continues to rise, so will the margin for error. It's impossible to be completely mistake-free for 16 weeks.