PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a Basement?

Sully
09-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Has anyone done this or had it done?
The wife and I are looking to buy a house, and thinking of including cost to finish the basement in the loan. I've never done anything like it, so is it easy to ruin, or worth trying myself? Is it expensive? Any idea the price range?
(It's a raised ranch, so not a huge basement to finish)

KCChiefsMan
09-17-2007, 06:59 PM
I thought this was gonna be about the Chiefs

siberian khatru
09-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Contact Phobia.

Boon
09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I've done it. Not too bad. Depends on your skill level. a) Build Walls b) Wire, plumb, HVAC c) hang sheeetrock & mud and tape d) paint/wallpaper/panel/etc e) hang trim f) flooring
That's all

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-17-2007, 07:21 PM
A few milk crates and a futon... you should be good to go.

Simply Red
09-17-2007, 07:26 PM
my basement is 2,000 sf. We sub'd everything out and It was 70k. But has a lot of extras.

Groves
09-17-2007, 07:34 PM
how's the water situation? is this a damp basement? How tall is the ceiling right now? Are you planning on sleeping in any of the rooms downstairs?

Give us some info and we'll spit out good ideas.

Sully
09-17-2007, 07:37 PM
If I were to guess, I'd say it's about 300-400 sq ft... tops (that may be way off, I'm horrible spacially, at times). Apparently, it's typically dry, but the current owners said they got their first water in 14 years this past year, and they think it came up through where the sump pump should go, so I'd guess we'd put in a sump pump. It's all open, so it'd need to be divided up so the heater, etc is in a room, and it's pegged for a bathroom, so that'd be an extra deal (if we decided to include a bathroom). I wouldn't want any other rooms. Just a big room with walls and a floor so I could set up the man-cave down there...

Bugeater
09-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Are you doing all the work yourself? $5,000
Being your own contractor? $10,000
Hiring a contractor? $15,000

Simply Red
09-17-2007, 07:44 PM
my basement is 2,000 sf. We sub'd everything out and It was 70k. But has a lot of extras.
to clarify; Actual finished area equals around 1400 sf. Just to give you a guideline. BUT, we have a full kitchen w/ a full bath another guest bedroom and a huge media room down there.

Skip Towne
09-17-2007, 07:58 PM
A few milk crates and a futon... you should be good to go.
That would work for you and me but he is probably married.

Phobia
09-17-2007, 07:59 PM
I dunno. I've done a basement as cheap as $4k. I've also done $50k basements. It depends on size and material choices.

Sully
09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I dunno. I've done a basement as cheap as $4k. I've also done $50k basements. It depends on size and material choices.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for... just a ballpark. SInce this one is on the small side, I'm not worried about hitting the high end.

Bowser
09-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Put the sump pump back in before you even consider doing ANYTHING else.

Owens Corning has a pretty cool setup for finishing basement areas. The walls are made of cloth, and are removable for access to lay speaker wire, or whatever, so that means no drywall or dust. Also, if you decide to sell the house, that room can be sold as a "media" room due to the cloth and insulated walls providing a certain accoustical dampening.

Sully
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks. I just looked that up, and it looks like the closest installer is in St Louis, though. But that seems to be a good alternative, though it isn't priced.

Phobia
In the 25 minutes since I responded to this thread I just found out I landed a pretty large basement. I'm pretty happy about the project.

As always, if any of you have any questions I'm happy to help whether that means just providing answers or also providing services. Services pay so that's always cool but I'm happy giving answers too.

cdcox
Herm is your man.

Sully
09-17-2007, 08:29 PM
In the 25 minutes since I responded to this thread I just found out I landed a pretty large basement. I'm pretty happy about the project.

As always, if any of you have any questions I'm happy to help whether that means just providing answers or also providing services. Services pay so that's always cool but I'm happy giving answers too.

I was already thinking about asking you, some time in the near future, for a consult. But I wanted to wait and see what the money situation was going to be before wasting your time, if it wasn't serious. But if it's something we look into, you'll be the first we call.

Phobia
09-17-2007, 08:35 PM
I appreciate that. My business is growing and I'm feeling pretty good about it. For the first time in the 5 years since I've been doing this stuff on my own it looks like I'll have a busy winter.

Skip Towne
09-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I appreciate that. My business is growing and I'm feeling pretty good about it. For the first time in the 5 years since I've been doing this stuff on my own it looks like I'll have a busy winter.
Will you be busy enough that you will need to hire Mecca?

Phobia
09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Will you be busy enough that you will need to hire Mecca?
Does Mecca have skills?

Iowanian
09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
what is your idea of "finishing" a basement?

IS it dry? Damp? inside drainage system around the walls?

Are you doing it, or paying a contractor?

Its alot like asking "how much does a car cost"...Cadillac or a Geo?

crazycoffey
09-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Does Mecca have skills?

He's pretty tight with a bowstaff.....

really though, do you want someone hanging around telling you that you should buy different tools, that you don't have enough time to complete your task, and that you deserve to lose all your clients?

phobia's skidmark
09-19-2007, 09:05 PM
make sure to check all of the sewer/septic lines before you install the walls, new floor, and aww forget it, I got nothin.

Sully
09-20-2007, 07:55 AM
what is your idea of "finishing" a basement?

IS it dry? Damp? inside drainage system around the walls?

Are you doing it, or paying a contractor?

Its alot like asking "how much does a car cost"...Cadillac or a Geo?
This is my first house, so I haven't gotten into all the details. I think basically I'm just looking for some walls, electricity and cable, a floor and probably a toilet. Definitely not looking for the Cadillac, just a nice room in which to build a man-cave.

The Rick
09-20-2007, 08:11 AM
I finished mine and did all of the work myself. Took me a little over a year (nights and weekends) and I put the final touches on this past spring.

It was somewhere between 400-500 sq ft. including a bathroom. I don't remember the exact dollar amount, but I don't think we spent more than $5000 on it.

tooge
09-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I was already thinking about asking you, some time in the near future, for a consult. But I wanted to wait and see what the money situation was going to be before wasting your time, if it wasn't serious. But if it's something we look into, you'll be the first we call.

Phil did mine, minus the floor. Turned out great. Do nto, i repeat, do not do your own sheetrock. Phil's guy made it look perfect, I tried on my first house and spent 9 months and it looked just ok. Hire professionals. You do what you do, let them do what they do. it is worth the extra money if you got it.