PDA

View Full Version : Finally dragging the wife out to Arrowhead...

ceebz
09-19-2007, 11:57 AM
This weekend. We'll get into town late Friday night so, we have all of Saturday to burn. Any ideas on what we could do? I've been to a few games at Arrowhead, but, I've never been in the city long enough to check it out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, my wife's a big fan of KC-style BBQ, what would be the best place to take her to? Gates?

Thanks...

ChiefsCountry
09-19-2007, 11:58 AM
The Plaza and Westport have fun.

carlos3652
09-19-2007, 12:05 PM
airplane or car? Are you staying near the airport?

What CC said above is good... id throw in Zona Rosa off barry road by the Airport...

ceebz
09-19-2007, 12:12 PM
airplane or car? Are you staying near the airport?

What CC said above is good... id throw in Zona Rosa off barry road by the Airport...

Nah, we're driving. It's only 8 hours from Denver. We're staying about 2 miles from the stadium. (Can't remember the hotel's name)

DMAC
09-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Taking my wife to her first game too.

She said she is "scared of tailgating"............:shrug:LMAO

jjchieffan
09-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Your choice of barbq would depend on your taste. My favorite is Gates, but it is too spicy for my wife. Jack Stack is great as is KC Masterpiece. I have heard Bryants is great too, but I havent tried it yet.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
09-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Why would a woman be afraid of 50,000 drunk men????

BigRedChief
09-19-2007, 12:18 PM

Bring her by the Festivus tailgate. We have security.

ceebz
09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Why would a woman be afraid of 50,000 drunk men????

ROFL

ceebz
09-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Your choice of barbq would depend on your taste. My favorite is Gates, but it is too spicy for my wife. Jack Stack is great as is KC Masterpiece. I have heard Bryants is great too, but I havent tried it yet.

Spicy? Gates it is. Thanks a lot!

penguinz
09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Your choice of barbq would depend on your taste. My favorite is Gates, but it is too spicy for my wife. Jack Stack is great as is KC Masterpiece. I have heard Bryants is great too, but I havent tried it yet.KC Masterpiece? why not just suggest McDonalds and McRib?

StcChief
09-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Jack Stack or go downtown to the original Bryants if you wanna scare her.

JohninGpt
09-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I took my wife to a game once. She said that my brother and I were too loud when the other team had the ball, and we were embarrassing her and my brothers girlfriend.
The GF has been dumped and the wife no longer accompanies us to games.

ceebz
09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Jack Stack or go downtown to the original Bryants if you wanna scare her.

What do you mean by that? :hmmm:

BigRedChief
09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
The Plaza and Westport have fun.
They are right beside each other.
If you are getting in Friday Night. It's Red Friday in Westport. A Chiefs pep rally.
http://www.sportkc.org/events/RFPepRally06.htm

The Plaza Art Fair is an outdoor street festival kind of thing is this weekend.
http://www.countryclubplaza.com/plaza.aspx?pgID=913

chasedude
09-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Spicy? Gates it is. Thanks a lot!

Get ready to be blasted with "HI MAY I HELP YOU!?!" when you walk in the door. Gates is about my fav of the above three places listed.

ceebz
09-19-2007, 12:32 PM
They are right beside each other.
If you are getting in Friday Night. It's Red Friday in Westport. A Chiefs pep rally.
http://www.sportkc.org/events/RFPepRally06.htm

The Plaza Art Fair is an outdoor street festival kind of thing is this weekend.
http://www.countryclubplaza.com/plaza.aspx?pgID=913

Good God, that's F***in awesome! Thanks!

ceebz
09-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Get ready to be blasted with "HI MAY I HELP YOU!?!" when you walk in the door. Gates is about my fav of the above three places listed.

That's ok, I think every restaurant in Denver is like that.

My wife's half Thai and she loves spicy, so, I think Gates is the obvious choice.

luv
09-19-2007, 12:39 PM
There's also Legends out by the racetrack for shopping. I've been there once, and planning to go back in November. Also, I didn't make it to one while I was there, but I hear the art museums are really cool.

BigRedChief
09-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Good God, that's F***in awesome! Thanks!
Opening Day for the Chiefs is always a big weekend in KC. If you want to go meet Chief fans on Saturday night the Chiefs Coalition is doing a fundraiser also. If not stop by the tailgate on Sunday

Phobia
09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Dude, come out to the Festivus Saturday night. I can vouch for the BBQ. I had it last year. It's better than anything you can buy at a restaurant and the beans should be pretty good too.

Click the thread at the top of the page for info on that event.

shaneo69
09-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Get up Sat morning at about 9:00 a.m., drive 4 hours west on I-70 and get some culture while you're in Missouri.

Go to the top of the Arch, take a tour of the A-B brewery, catch the Cards-Astros game at 6:15, drive back to KC, take a little nap, and start tailgating at 9:00 a.m.

Perfect weekend. :)

ceebz
09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Dude, come out to the Festivus Saturday night. I can vouch for the BBQ. I had it last year. It's better than anything you can buy at a restaurant and the beans should be pretty good too.

Click the thread at the top of the page for info on that event.

Sounds like a lot of fun. We'll be there!

ceebz
09-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Get up Sat morning at about 9:00 a.m., drive 4 hours west on I-70 and get some culture while you're in Missouri.

Go to the top of the Arch, take a tour of the A-B brewery, catch the Cards-Astros game at 6:15, drive back to KC, take a little nap, and start tailgating at 9:00 a.m.

Yeah, I thought about going to the Arch. We may do that early Saturday morning, if we have enough time.

Phobia
09-19-2007, 01:12 PM

Come find me. I'll introduce you to the idiot who made the beans.

Phobia
09-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I thought about going to the Arch. We may do that early Saturday morning, if we have enough time.

I'm thinking there's not enough time Saturday morning.

ceebz
09-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm thinking there's not enough time Saturday morning.

I'm thinking that too... What I'm really hoping is that the wife will enjoy the trip and we'll be coming out again soon.

BigRedChief
09-19-2007, 01:21 PM
She won't be in a room with a bunch of men talking Chiefs football. There will be a lot of women at the Festivus.

Donger
09-19-2007, 01:23 PM

Four hours west?

luv
09-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Four hours west?
And is it really four hours?

Donger
09-19-2007, 01:26 PM
And is it really four hours?

Well, that depends on the speed of the vehicle.

Skip Towne
09-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Don't go to Gates. It's fast food complete with frozen french fries. Go to the original Bryant's.

shaneo69
09-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Four hours west?

Geographically challenged here. :banghead:

Mr. Arrowhead
09-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Don't go to Gates. It's fast food complete with frozen french fries. Go to the original Bryant's.
I agree, Gates use to be really good back in the day, then i went there last year and it surely has gone down hill.

shaneo69
09-19-2007, 01:33 PM

I was just joking about coming to St. Louis---there's plenty to do in KC, and the Festivus sounds like a blast.

And after driving 8 hours from Denver, you won't want to be driving any further once you get to KC.

Have fun!

ceebz
09-19-2007, 01:33 PM
She won't be in a room with a bunch of men talking Chiefs football. There will be a lot of women at the Festivus.

Nice. I've already decided we're going. We'll be the two who look out of place. :D

ceebz
09-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I agree, Gates use to be really good back in the day, then i went there last year and it surely has gone down hill.

Ok, we'll hit Bryant's first. Maybe we'll grab some Gates on our way out Monday.

jjchieffan
09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
KC Masterpiece? why not just suggest McDonalds and McRib?

That would be my wifes preference. Everytime I barbq, I have to fix her a seperate helping with Masterpiece. I really prefer Gates and Jack Stack, and I am hoping to try Bryants the next time I am in KC.

ChiefsCountry
09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Better go to Bryants for Lunch, I wouldnt want to me in that part of town after dark. I like Gates alot but Bryant's is the icon KC bbq joint. Heck you cant go wrong at any of those places.

jjchieffan
09-19-2007, 01:48 PM

Really? It has been a couple of years for me, so I guess I have missed the decline. What has changed? Have they been cutting corners to keep prices down, and thus the quality has sufferred or what?

Mr. Flopnuts
09-19-2007, 01:56 PM
What's the name of the bbq place across the street from Worlds of Fun? I ate there once driving through KC and it was pretty good. Actually, if memory serves me correctly, it's the BBQ joint across the freeway from Worlds of Fun.

BigRedChief
09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
I really prefer Gates and Jack Stack, and I am hoping to try Bryants the next time I am in KC.
I just ordered 4 gallons of Cheesy corn from Jack Stack for the Festivus. Some may make it to the dinner.:rolleyes:

BigRedChief
09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Nice. I've already decided we're going. We'll be the two who look out of place. :D
Thats the cool thing about Festivus. 75% of the people there have never met each other in real life. It's really cool to put faces with names from the Chief boards. You have a slam dunk conversation starter in the Chiefs. The BBQ rocks, having a cold beverage and talking Chiefs football. Thats the life.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-19-2007, 02:59 PM
so i will be in town saturday night, what going on then

KcMizzou
09-19-2007, 03:24 PM
What's the name of the bbq place across the street from Worlds of Fun? I ate there once driving through KC and it was pretty good. Actually, if memory serves me correctly, it's the BBQ joint across the freeway from Worlds of Fun.The only place I can think of in that area would be Mama Jo's on Parvin road.

I've only had it once... it was just ok.

BigRedChief
09-19-2007, 03:45 PM
so i will be in town saturday night, what going on then
Festivus. Theres a sticky thread about what it is at the top of the board.