PDA

View Full Version : Norv Turner an over-rated offensive coach?

B_Ambuehl
09-19-2007, 11:29 PM
I know his head coching record is not all that stellaer but he's supposed to be an offensive guru. I think the main reason he's popular in that regard is due to the credit Troy Aikman gave him way back when. I have never really been all that impressed with any of the offenses called by Norv save for the Cowboys but they had a great o-line and great skill position players. Watching the Chargers last year compared to this year it's the same offense.......but Cam Cameron seemed much more adept at calling plays out of that offense and keeping the defense off balance. Norv IMO seems to be overly predictable and too many times seems to put his quarterback in bad situations with deep dropbacks. I remember thinking this when he was in Oakland too and after watching SD struggle on offense through 2 games I'm seeing the same thing. Maybe S.D. will end up leading the NFL in offense again and make me look like a fool who knows.

Thoughts?

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Norv Turner is the Carl Peterson of head coaches.

Buck
09-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Who ****ing knows at this point...

After last week my outlook on the season is a little bleak, yet it is quite early.

Give him time w/ this talent to see what happens.

Ozark Ozzy
09-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Years as Head Coach Norv Turner made the playoffs: 1999

Years as Head Coach Norv Turner missed the playoffs: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2005

el borracho
09-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Yep- he sucks. I don't think he is over-rated, though, since I don't think many people would rate him very highly.

KurtCobain
09-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Atleast Carl didn't replace Marty w/ Norv Turner. Thank the lord for that one. Bolts are ****ing screwed. LMAO

Deberg_1990
09-20-2007, 06:28 AM
He actually is a very good play caller and offensive coodinator. I wanted Herm to hire him last year.

A few players that have thrived under his system:

Aikman
Emmith Smith
Trent Green
Stephen Davis
Tomlinson
Rickey Williams best years
Frank Gore

His reputation as a QB "guru" is a lil overblown. He actually seems better with RB's.

He absolutely blows as a Head Coach though. Peter Principle in full effect.

Dartgod
09-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Atleast Carl didn't replace Marty w/ Norv Turner. Thank the lord for that one. Bolts are ****ing screwed. LMAO
Right. Because that Gunther hire worked out so well for us.

KurtCobain
09-20-2007, 06:55 AM

gunther over turner any day

Extra Point
09-20-2007, 07:19 AM
I was hoping we could get Norv T for our OC, but I wish him luck with the Bolts. But that's all I wish, 'cause he's going to need lots of it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Great coordinator, terrible, terrible head coach.

The guy can't keep control of his team at all. Everywhere he's went absolute carnage has broken out.

KurtCobain
09-20-2007, 07:28 AM
So, who should've the bolts gone after? Singletary?

Splat420
09-20-2007, 07:32 AM
To me the guy is still living off what he did in Dallas but that team was so loaded just about any coach could have lead that team to a SB.

Extra Point
09-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Cam Cameron is who should be coaching the Bolts.

Deberg_1990
09-20-2007, 07:37 AM
To me the guy is still living off what he did in Dallas but that team was so loaded just about any coach could have lead that team to a SB.

and indeed it did happen. Two Words: Barry Switzer

BucEyedPea
09-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, just watching that looooooooong clock-killing 3rd Qtr drive Sun night, being as far behind as his team was,seemed pretty dumb even to me. Did he even know how far behind they were?

Post game quote:
For us to be the team we want to be and the team we are capable of being, we are going to have to play at a high level in all three phases. I think we just played two of the best teams in the National Football League. We came on the road and we didn’t play the way we want to play. I think the key for every team in this league is improving throughout the year and certainly we have a lot of improving to do.

IOWs he can't prepare his team.

jjchieffan
09-20-2007, 08:03 AM
SD fired Marty after all the other coaching were filled. That was pretty stupid. Not only did they screw Marty out of the opportunity to coach this year. They also were left with the bottom of the barrel for choices to replace him. Norv Turner was still available for a reason, he sucks. If the Dolts lose more games than they win this year, then they get what they deserve. Only two teams are arrogant enough to fire their coach after such a good season. They are SD and Nebraska. Nebraska hasn't won 10 games in a year since firing Solich, and I doubt that SD will dominate again as long as Turner is their head coach,

HonestChieffan
09-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Proof that Hermification lowers everyones standards.

BucEyedPea
09-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Marty can win in the regular season but not the playoffs.
Norv can't win in the regular season.
Sounds like a toss-up to me.

Skip Towne
09-20-2007, 08:13 AM
SD fired Marty after all the other coaching were filled. That was pretty stupid. Not only did they screw Marty out of the opportunity to coach this year. They also were left with the bottom of the barrel for choices to replace him. Norv Turner was still available for a reason, he sucks. If the Dolts lose more games than they win this year, then they get what they deserve. Only two teams are arrogant enough to fire their coach after such a good season. They are SD and Nebraska. Nebraska hasn't won 10 games in a year since firing Solich, and I doubt that SD will dominate again as long as Turner is their head coach,
Yep

Skip Towne
09-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Gunther has a .500 W/L record. Herm doesn't.

Chief Faithful
09-20-2007, 08:26 AM
When you have Emmit Smith behind a large offensive line running for 6 to 8 yards on every first down OC becomes an easy job. That team was put together and orchestrated by Jimmy Johnson not Norv Turner.

I've not seen anything from Norv Turner without Jimmy Johnson as OC or HC.

jjchieffan
09-20-2007, 08:33 AM
I started a thread yesterday about this subject. Their offensive numbers are as pathetic as ours this year.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=170416

Brock
09-20-2007, 08:43 AM
I can't believe anyone was dumb enough to hire him after the Raiders debacle. They'd have been much better off just keeping Marty, even with his 'tard brother as defensive coordinator.

boogblaster
09-20-2007, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't hire Turner to coach my Div. 3 flag-team ...

Easy 6
09-20-2007, 10:13 PM
So, who should've the bolts gone after? Singletary?

They could have (& may well have) done a helluva lot worse, the man obviously knows football & would command his players respect every time he walked into the room.

Turner is just too ineffectual, milquetoast...call it what you will, but he NEVER seems to inspire confidence. He is NOT a natural leader, plain & simple.

jjchieffan
09-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Saying Norv Turner is overrated. Isn't that like saying grass is green? Or that CP couldn't build a championship tem if his life depended on it? Well, maybe not. SD did hire him, and the media still picks them to go to the superbowl.