PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Interview With Brian Waters

FAX
09-20-2007, 10:46 AM
810 is interviewing Waters. He just said, "I'm sick of us worrying about and taking pride in setting individual records and individual guys making everybody's fantasy football list. I think it's selfish. This team needs to win some playoff games and a Super Bowl."

(slightly paraphrased)

I love this guy.

FAX

DaKCMan AP
09-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Is that a shot at TonyG?

FAX
09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Is that a shot at TonyG?

I interpreted it as a shot across both TG's and LJ's bow. Basically, he was just saying "we need to be a team ... not a bunch of guys worried about individual records."

I think he wants to start winning some games. He sounds a tad frustrated.

FAX

dirk digler
09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
I interpreted it as a shot across both TG's and LJ's bow. Basically, he was just saying "we need to be a team ... not a bunch of guys worried about individual records."

FAX

I love Brian but he needs to direct his anger at Herm and Carl for putting together one of the worst teams in the NFL

Micjones
09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
He's right, but when you know you're headed nowhere you start looking out for #1.

Tony Gonzalez has drawn an awful lot during his career.
He'll probably never win a Superbowl and he's a future Hall of Famer.

FAX
09-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I love Brian but he needs to direct his anger at Herm and Carl for putting together one of the worst teams in the NFL

To my ear, it sounded as if he's a little pissed at everybody, Mr. dirk digler. Particularly third and long situations - regardless of how they got there.

FAX

FAX
09-20-2007, 10:56 AM
He's right, but when you know you're headed nowhere you start looking out for #1.

He didn't seem to think the team was headed nowhere, Mr. Micjones. I got the impression he just wants the offensive to get their sh*t together. Someone else may have a different take on the interview, but I loved it.

As far as I'm concerned, Waters can call out anyone he wants.

FAX

dirk digler
09-20-2007, 10:57 AM
To my ear, it sounded as if he's a little pissed at everybody, Mr. dirk digler. Particularly third and long situations - regardless of how they got there.

FAX

He should be pissed and I am glad that he is. He needs to tell his O-Line mates though to open up some holes for LJ so he can get more than 50 yds in a game.

Micjones
09-20-2007, 11:04 AM
He didn't seem to think the team was headed nowhere, Mr. Micjones. I got the impression he just wants the offensive to get their sh*t together. Someone else may have a different take on the interview, but I loved it.

Actually I meant the players he's likely calling out.

FAX
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Actually I meant the players he's likely calling out.

That's what I mean, Mr. Micjones. Brian thinks they can make something out of this season "if" the individual players stop worrying about their own stats and pull together. He was pretty blunt about it.

I suppose you can't fault Tony for wanting the ball, and I don't think Brian's worried about that, per se. Basically, he was saying that, for years, the Chiefs "organization" has settled for taking pride in individual records, stats, etc. and he's sick of it. He wants to win.

FAX

Chest Rockwell
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM

LJ has been looking out for #1 since long before this team looked like it was headed for nowhere. LJ certainly isn't going to be racking up any big numbers with the current personnel, play calling, and administration.

I love TG, but I can't see him being a victim here either. He chose to re-up with this organization rather than biding his time and going to a contender. He'll get plenty of chances at his records, especially with DH at QB.

A lot of the time, I do think TG and LJ are prima donna-ish, but this isn't one of those time. I think a lot of the offense is just frustrated in general.

Micjones
09-20-2007, 11:10 AM
That's what I mean, Mr. Micjones. Brian thinks they can make something out of this season "if" the individual players stop worrying about their own stats and pull together. He was pretty blunt about it.

I suppose you can't fault Tony for wanting the ball, and I don't think Brian's worried about that, per se. Basically, he was saying that, for years, the Chiefs "organization" has settled for taking pride in individual records, stats, etc. and he's sick of it. He wants to win.

FAX

I know the old adage "there's no I in team", but if those two players got the ball more often we'd have a better chance at winning.

I think Johnson and Gonzalez both want to win though.
I don't think there's any doubt about it.

chasedude
09-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Is that a shot at TonyG?

I wonder what he said to Bowe when he took that TD pass away from him :hmmm:

FAX
09-20-2007, 11:13 AM
The more I cogitate on this, I think this was more about the organization than it was about LJ or Tony.

After every game, kcchiefs.com publishes a summary talking about how this player or that player continued a streak or set a team record or opened a restaurant, and so forth. He's saying that's what the "Chiefs" have taken pride in. He's ready to move on to winning some playoff games instead of worrying about stats and individual records.

FAX

Chiefnj2
09-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm glad Waters is angry. He can begin to vent his anger by opening up some holes on the line so LJ can get better fantasy stats.

Micjones
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
LJ has been looking out for #1 since long before this team looked like it was headed for nowhere. LJ certainly isn't going to be racking up any big numbers with the current personnel, play calling, and administration.

I'm not exactly a big fan of Johnson's personality, but he's not the "me first" guy people would have you to believe.

Chest Rockwell
09-20-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm not exactly a big fan of Johnson's personality, but he's not the "me first" guy people would have you to believe.

I agree, to an extent, and I guess I wasn't expressing my thoughts correctly.

What I'm trying (maybe still trying) to say is he does, IMO, come off as having a "me first" attitude at times. He does seem to be maturing in that effect, and I don't think the frustrations he's expressing right now are selfish.

Hell, calling out the coaching staff for their play calling probably isn't going to win him any favors or chances to pad his stats.

MTG#10
09-20-2007, 11:25 AM
He'll get plenty of chances at his records, especially with DH at QB.

Was this a joke or does DH stand for another QB in KC's future I'm not aware of?

Chest Rockwell
09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Was this a joke or does DH stand for another QB in KC's future I'm not aware of?

Seeing as how DH can't seem to get the ball to anyone more that 15 yards downfield and TG seems to be a preferred target, it just seems he'll probably get more balls thrown at him w/DH at QB.

He'd already have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids (I'm looking at you 82) anyway.

MTG#10
09-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I think we should put Bobby Sippio behind center. Gonzo will eclipse Sharp's record this Sunday, and D-Bo will win off. ROTY.

Chest Rockwell
09-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I think we should put Bobby Sippio behind center. Gonzo will eclipse Sharp's record this Sunday, and D-Bo will win off. ROTY.

Heh...I was wondering if Scanlon is still available.

KcMizzou
09-20-2007, 12:03 PM
It sounded more like a jab at Vermiel to me.

Splat420
09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
You have to love big #54.

HemiEd
09-20-2007, 12:30 PM

How could that be? Why would BW be jabbing at Vermeil? This offense sucks under HERM ****ING EDWARDS!

Tony clearly mentioned that Bowe got his TD catch. Did Vermeil instruct Bowe to do that?

Buehler445
09-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I wonder what he said to Bowe when he took that TD pass away from him :hmmm:

He was the first one there to congratulate him. I remember watching the replay specifically for that.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 12:39 PM

FAX

wow .... you mean the 2 guys we just gave brand new contracts to are an issue?

who'da thunk it

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 12:40 PM
:spock:

Chief Faithful
09-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Sounds like there is a theme this week at Arrowhead along the lines of, stop second guessing the calls and focus on executing the plays.

This team did not come out of the preseason mentally ready to play. That now makes two years in a row. Herm needs to seriously re-evaluate how he prepares his team for the season.

InChiefsHeaven
09-20-2007, 12:45 PM
From the interview with TG:

Q: What does it mean that you’re closing in on Shannon Sharpe’s NFL career receiving records for tight ends?

GONZALEZ: “It means a lot. I certainly don’t think that it defines what I’ve been able to accomplish on the field; records are records. I do take satisfaction in it, especially considering guys like TE Shannon Sharpe have the record. Guys like TE Kellen Winslow, TE Ozzie Newsome, TE Mike Ditka, all these great tight ends that have played the position before; it’s something that I definitely have to take satisfaction on since you’ve worked so hard to get there. It’s also one of those things that I don’t want to define who I am. I still have to keep going out there. I want to score touchdowns, not because I’m trying to set a record, but because I think our team needs it; especially at this point in the season. We only have one touchdown on the year.

I don't think TG is all about that, though I'm sure if you put the years and excellent play that he has, you want to get those records. TG knows he'll get the record soon, and I don't think it's at the front of his mind.

I also don't think Waters was calling him out, but I didn't hear the interview.

L.A. Chieffan
09-20-2007, 12:49 PM
I love Brian but he needs to direct his anger at Herm and Carl for putting together one of the worst coach/GM tandems in the NFL
FYP

Chief Faithful
09-20-2007, 01:00 PM

You sound like a teenager that has need worked in the real world. Like it or not Herm and Carl are the bosses and Brian knows it is his job to do things their way. Waters is a man with integrity and he knows his job as offensive captain is get everyone focused and executing. It does no good to start dividing the team by directing anger at the managers.

You may want the controversy as a fan, but Waters is trying to pull things together to make something good out of this season. I have a lot of respect for how Waters is conducting affairs as the offensive captain.

KcMizzou
09-20-2007, 01:05 PM
:spock:Reading FAX's version, that does sound a bit odd, but Petro said the same thing. Did you hear the interview?

When it was over he asked the other guy in the studio who he thought that was directed at, and he said the backfield. Petro said if Waters was refering to current players, that's a good guess, but he felt like it was about Vermiel.

You'd have to have heard the interview, maybe they'll put a podcast up later.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Reading FAX's version, that does sound a bit odd, but Petro said the same thing. Did you hear the interview?

When it was over he asked the other guy in the studio who he thought that was directed at, and he said the backfield. Petro said if Waters was refering to current players, that's a good guess, but he felt like it was about Vermiel.

no ... i didn't hear it.

of course Petro thought it was something about people that are no longer with the team.

the Talking Can
09-20-2007, 01:20 PM
good, people need to pissed, and apply that pissed-ness in productive ways...

Chest Rockwell
09-20-2007, 01:22 PM
no ... i didn't hear it.

of course Petro thought it was something about people that are no longer with the team.

I didn't hear it, but re-reading the quote and then the other explanations, it sounds like it could be a bit of backlash to the video game offense mentality. You know the "sure we didn't win a playoff game but we led the league in offense and set x numbers of records."

There aren't that many people on offense who were prominent both then and now. Doesn't seem like LJ would have bought into the Vermeil mentality given the circumstances...If, and that's a BIG if, this really is the case, it would have to be a shot at TG (or possibly Kennison which seems less likely), wouldn't it?

KcMizzou
09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I didn't hear it, but re-reading the quote and then the other explanations, it sounds like it could be a bit of backlash to the video game offense mentality. You know the "sure we didn't win a playoff game but we led the league in offense and set x numbers of records." Exactly. Petro asked if Waters thought the Chiefs could get back to being a dominant running team again. Waters said that he honestly didn't care, as long as they win, and that led into the quotes FAX posted.

kcxiv
09-20-2007, 02:12 PM
This is how it works with superstar players, you get them their yards, and their touchdowns and you win freaking games. Thats why you have star players they are meant to put up big numbers for a reason. If you dont get them the ball they cant make plays.

FAX
09-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Reading FAX's version, that does sound a bit odd, but Petro said the same thing. Did you hear the interview?

It could be that he was referring to DV, Mr. KcMizzou. Different people see the same car crash differently. I don't think so, though. I just think he was saying that taking pride in individual records doesn't mean squat when it comes to the pride you can take in winning a SB.

FAX

PS. I've been listening to Petro and he has taken the Mega-Homer, party line to extremes this week.

FAX
09-20-2007, 02:25 PM
I didn't hear it, but re-reading the quote and then the other explanations, it sounds like it could be a bit of backlash to the video game offense mentality. You know the "sure we didn't win a playoff game but we led the league in offense and set x numbers of records." ...

Exactly, Mr. Chest Rockwell. Upon further review, that was his meaning, I believe.

FAX

BigRedChief
09-20-2007, 02:29 PM
PS. I've been listening to Petro and he has taken the Mega-Homer, party line to extremes this week.
Doesn't he get paid by the Chiefs now for a radio show he does with them?

FAX
09-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Doesn't he get paid by the Chiefs now for a radio show he does with them?

A week or so ago, someone on the board mentioned an article or something from their website, Mr. BigRedChief. A podcast maybe?

Petro's been absorbed into the Borg.

FAX

LOCOChief
09-20-2007, 02:43 PM

How does a player direct his anger at the HC? Herm would go Woody Hayes on him.

DaWolf
09-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I didn't hear it, but re-reading the quote and then the other explanations, it sounds like it could be a bit of backlash to the video game offense mentality. You know the "sure we didn't win a playoff game but we led the league in offense and set x numbers of records."

There aren't that many people on offense who were prominent both then and now. Doesn't seem like LJ would have bought into the Vermeil mentality given the circumstances...If, and that's a BIG if, this really is the case, it would have to be a shot at TG (or possibly Kennison which seems less likely), wouldn't it?

Sounds like exactly that to me as well. It probably points to the idea that some guys are probably still stuck on the way we used to do things under DV, and how the offense was coddled and promoted, and they need to get out of that and band together as a team and start moving the ball instead of looking for the big play highlight for SportsCenter...

ottawa_chiefs_fan
09-20-2007, 03:50 PM
How does a player direct his anger at the HC? Herm would go Woody Hayes on him.
Somebody has to go Woody Hayes on somebody to wake them the **** up!

Buehler445
09-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Petro's been absorbed into the Borg.

FAX

VERY NICE Star Trek reference....I like it. ROFL