PDA

View Full Version : Michael Smith Calls the Chiefs "Contenders" on NFL Live

doomy3
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Says, you take away a couple plays like the Hester return and the Wilson "fumble" and the Chiefs could be 2-0 instead of 0-2.

I heard him on AM radio yesterday saying the same sort of things. That we started 0-2 last year too, and we have as much of a chance or better to make the playoffs this year.

Definitely an unpopular opinion.

SBK
09-20-2007, 10:57 PM
That opinion won't play well around here.

penchief
09-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Says, you take away a couple plays like the Hester return and the Wilson "fumble" and the Chiefs could be 2-0 instead of 0-2.

I heard him on AM radio yesterday saying the same sort of things. That we started 0-2 last year too, and we have as much of a chance or better to make the playoffs this year.

Damnit! Didn't I say this same exact shit about a month ago. C'mon man, give a brother his due.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Michael Smith really knows his shit when it comes to the NFL, so that's a positive take for homers. With that being said, I think Chiefs fans have seen a lot more of this team's true character than he has, and it all starts with the empty sweater vest on the sidelines.

09-20-2007, 11:00 PM
MEH

doomy3
09-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Damnit! Didn't I say this same exact shit about a month ago. C'mon man, give a brother his due.

Sorry, guess I forgot to include your opinion in with the expert on ESPN.

For those concerned, penchief said the exact same shit about a month ago.

tk13
09-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I just saw that, I was surprised he said it to be honest. I'm not sure we're a playoff team but I think we're better than the general consenus right now. But I think we're close to having a really good defense.

RustShack
09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
I've been saying the same old shit all along! and I think puting Croyle in will make us even better!

doomy3
09-20-2007, 11:05 PM
I just saw that, I was surprised he said it to be honest. I'm not sure we're a playoff team but I think we're better than the general consenus right now. But I think we're close to having a really good defense.

When he was getting ready to talk about the Chiefs I wondered what stance he would take because yesterday he was on either 610 or 810 and said a lot of the same things. Said he really LIKES this Chiefs team and that we will get it turned around. Also said that the two teams we played are very good. That the Bears will be in the Super Bowl and the Texans are for real.

I just wondered if he was just fluffing the local media in KC when he said that on local radio, but the fact that he said it on ESPN means he really believes it.

Bowser
09-20-2007, 11:05 PM
I bet someone off carmera dared him to say it.

irishjayhawk
09-20-2007, 11:07 PM
I actually have been saying we're going to win 10 games from the start. 0-2 isn't far in that regard but still.

Take away the refs gift of the Wilson call to the Texans and the game changes significantly. Would we have won? Who knows.

Take away the Hester Run (one could argue the clear as day block in the back (though we've been privy to those in the Hall days)) and totally different game.

Add the flea flicker without illegal motion and we might have actually won.

Yes, we're pretty lackluster on offense. But our defense is good. And we're improving from game to game. And Herm's teams always are slow out of the gate. I think we shouldn't be in full on panic mode like most of us, but I can't blame you.

And for what it's worth, I think Clark should clean house too.

doomy3
09-20-2007, 11:07 PM
I bet someone off carmera dared him to say it.
ROFL ROFL ROFL

SBK
09-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry, guess I forgot to include your opinion in with the expert on ESPN.

For those concerned, penchief said the exact same shit about a month ago.

ROFL

FAX
09-20-2007, 11:15 PM
What a rip off. I said this 6 years ago.

FAX

BigRock
09-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Michael Smith loves Herm. I seriously think Herm may be his father.

TinyEvel
09-20-2007, 11:22 PM
PRINT 'EM!!!!!!!!!!

Thig Lyfe
09-20-2007, 11:24 PM
CASEY PRINTERS 'EM!!!!!!!!!!

Fixed.

BWillie
09-20-2007, 11:53 PM
I am rooting for Michael Smith every single time he is on around the horn from now on. He makes good points. Wilson's fumble wasn't a fumble, it just wasn't. And if the Bear's would of had Eddie Drummond instead of Devin Hester we probably would of went into OT or won. I know i know, shoulda woulda coulda. But there is still some hope.

Phobia
09-20-2007, 11:57 PM
If all those bad things that happened to the Chiefs had actually been good things, they'd go 19-0 every year.

I really don't like those arguments. If I hadn't gone into a stupid restaurant in 1991 I'd have never met my ex-wife and my pocketbook would be full.....

Except I did go into that restaurant and met a cute girl with a body that wouldn't quit and forever changed my destiny.

alanm
09-21-2007, 12:13 AM
If all those bad things that happened to the Chiefs had actually been good things, they'd go 19-0 every year.

I really don't like those arguments. If I hadn't gone into a stupid restaurant in 1991 I'd have never met my ex-wife and my pocketbook would be full.....

Except I did go into that restaurant and met a cute girl with a body that wouldn't quit and forever changed my destiny.
I know the feeling. :banghead:

Bob Dole
09-21-2007, 12:23 AM
I actually have been saying we're going to win 10 games from the start. 0-2 isn't far in that regard but still.
Bob Dole would feel better about the whole thing if guys on the team weren't saying 2 wins...

Hootie
09-21-2007, 05:58 AM
I just gained a lot of respect for Michael Smith...

It takes a lot to see through the bullshit...how can ANYONE who watched the Bears game NOT see that this is a playoff caliber team.

People can laugh at me now, just like they did last year when I was stating Huard > Green, but if we play defense like we did against the Bears, correct our special teams play, and start pounding the rock with LJ (keeping Bennett of the field) we're going to be ok...we lost two road games, LJ has been playing 60% of the snaps (only), and we've been making uncharacteristic mistakes...AND WE DON'T PLAY @ CHICAGO AGAINST THE BEST FRIGGIN' DEFENSE EVERY WEEK!

We have a great match-up this week, and then we'll lose against San Diego...but then we get 6 of 8 (or 7 of 9, not sure) at Arrowhead and we're going to make a run...all we have to do is win 3 road games (easier said than done) to be a playoff team with our homefield advantage.

This is deja vu for me, I was saying the same shit after we lost 6-3 @ Denver last year...this is a quality team, I can't wait to reference this post when we win 9 games.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 06:01 AM
and as for the Houston game...we weren't winning that game with or without the Wilson fumble...they were just a better team that day, I think we'd beat them @ Arrowhead, but not at their place.

Otter
09-21-2007, 06:12 AM

It takes a lot to see through the bullshit...how can ANYONE who watched the Bears game NOT see that this is a playoff caliber team.

People can laugh at me now, just like they did last year when I was stating Huard > Green, but if we play defense like we did against the Bears, correct our special teams play, and start pounding the rock with LJ (keeping Bennett of the field) we're going to be ok...we lost two road games, LJ has been playing 60% of the snaps (only), and we've been making uncharacteristic mistakes...AND WE DON'T PLAY @ CHICAGO AGAINST THE BEST FRIGGIN' DEFENSE EVERY WEEK!

We have a great match-up this week, and then we'll lose against San Diego...but then we get 6 of 8 (or 7 of 9, not sure) at Arrowhead and we're going to make a run...all we have to do is win 3 road games (easier said than done) to be a playoff team with our homefield advantage.

This is deja vu for me, I was saying the same shit after we lost 6-3 @ Denver last year...this is a quality team, I can't wait to reference this post when we win 9 games.

If I were Carl I'd give you a big kiss Hootie.

Eleazar
09-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Well, now we know KC Johnny's secret identity.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 06:20 AM
If I were Carl I'd give you a big kiss Hootie.
Hey, I understand that 80% of you want NOTHING to do with 9 or 10 wins...but you have to make the playoffs in order to win a Super Bowl, and shit, if we're 1 and out again, that's better than being 4-12...anyone who thinks differently should go **** themselves.

Otter
09-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Hey, I understand that 80% of you want NOTHING to do with 9 or 10 wins...but you have to make the playoffs in order to win a Super Bowl, and shit, if we're 1 and out again, that's better than being 4-12...anyone who thinks differently should go **** themselves.

Carl loves you.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 06:24 AM
Carl loves you.
Killer.

I want someone to describe to me the benefit of a 4 win season...

GO GO GO

jidar
09-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Some days I think we're a 4 win team, other days I think we could conceivably be wildcard contenders.
Our defense is obviously playoff worthy, the question is on O.
In truth we have some pieces right now and all it would take is elevated play in the passing game and as a team we would suddenly be pretty scary.
Now whether that elevated play needs to come from the QB position or the coaching is a matter for debate...

jidar
09-21-2007, 06:30 AM

I actually agree with that, unpopular as it is.

the Talking Can
09-21-2007, 06:32 AM
9-7

win now

Hootie

the same ****ing idiots every year, forever....

Hootie
09-21-2007, 06:34 AM
9-7

win now

Hootie

the same ****ing idiots every year, forever....
Give me a good reason why you'd rather see the Chiefs win 4 games...

the same ****ing idiots ever year, forever....

Eleazar
09-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Give me a good reason why you'd rather see the Chiefs win 4 games...

the same ****ing idiots ever year, forever....

I want us to play a young QB so we can find out what we have, and not some retread who will be gone in a year or two. If that means 4-12 then so be it. It might mean better than that anyway.

Don't tell me that Croyle doesn't know how to throw swing passes behind running backs or crumple to the ground screaming during a pass rush just as well as Huardible does.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 06:43 AM
I want us to play a young QB so we can find out what we have, and not some retread who will be gone in a year or two. If that means 4-12 then so be it. It might mean better than that anyway.

Don't tell me that Croyle doesn't know how to throw swing passes behind running backs or crumple to the ground screaming during a pass rush just as well as Huardible does.
Everyone was praising that throw to Webb...but did you see it?!

The way he throws off of his back-foot and all awkward-like really bothers me.

I don't see Croyle EVER being a good NFL QB. Hopefully I'm wrong.

the Talking Can
09-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Hootie is the reason we're grooming a piece of crap noodle arm 34 yr old career backup with a QB rating in the 60's....

win now

9-7

thanks, you ****ing True Fans

thanks for nothing

Hootie
09-21-2007, 06:48 AM
yeah, two games...

Shit, the Saints oughtta cut Brees...

Eleazar
09-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Everyone was praising that throw to Webb...but did you see it?!

The way he throws off of his back-foot and all awkward-like really bothers me.

I don't see Croyle EVER being a good NFL QB. Hopefully I'm wrong.

It doesn't matter if he throws like your grandmother. He has a better chance of someday leading us to the Super Bowl so he's the guy who should be starting.

Unless of course getting hammered in the first round of the playoffs is what you call a dream season.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-21-2007, 07:10 AM

I want what he's smoking.

Ultra Peanut
09-21-2007, 07:12 AM
LiteraLOL

Skip Towne
09-21-2007, 07:14 AM

Is that the one who is built like a water heater?

Lzen
09-21-2007, 07:20 AM

I agree. I'm still not very fond of Herm, though. But if this team makes the playoffs, I'll be excited. However, we will need to find a way to get into the playoffs as a higher seed. You're not gonna win SBs being the #6 seed (yeah, I know Pittsburgh did it, but that is extremely rare).

Lzen
09-21-2007, 07:23 AM

I do agree with that. Huard is not a great QB. Last year's stats were a fluke. Last year, he was Steve Bono of 1995 (before that miserable playoff game). Now he goes back to being Bono circa 1996 - just another backup quality QB.

Otter
09-21-2007, 07:44 AM
I do agree with that. Huard is not a great QB. Last year's stats were a fluke. Last year, he was Steve Bono of 1995 (before that miserable playoff game). Now he goes back to being Bono circa 1996 - just another backup quality QB.

Hootie thought the remake of Godzilla with Jack Black was a really good movie and being embarrassed in the wild card playoffs again is a good thing.

[text message from carl to hootie]we'll make some pop corn tonight-watch caddyshack2 and the longest yard with adam sandler...bff buddy ;D[/text message from carl]

mylittlepony
09-21-2007, 07:58 AM
I agree. I'm still not very fond of Herm, though. But if this team makes the playoffs, I'll be excited. However, we will need to find a way to get into the playoffs as a higher seed. You're not gonna win SBs being the #6 seed (yeah, I know Pittsburgh did it, but that is extremely rare).

I agree, we're not the road team Pittsburgh is. We got beat by the browns on the road last year. We need a 12 win record to make the SB or a miracle.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 08:04 AM

we are going to exploit the Vike's over rated D this weekend. Chiefs 31 Vikes 3.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-21-2007, 08:04 AM
I wasnt alway Michael Smith's biggest fan, but now he is the man on ESPN.

Brock
09-21-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't want a playoff team. I want a good playoff team. "Anything can happen" hasn't really worked out for the Chiefs.

Rooster
09-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Bono circa 1996

ROFL ROFL ROFL That is awesome. If someone could put that on a Huard picture it would be a perfect signature.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-21-2007, 08:38 AM
You guys do realize that we could still go 14-2

boogblaster
09-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Getting to the POs is the reason players suit-up..after that its talent-coaching-luck but mostly heart ....

StcChief
09-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Yes on any given sunday.... but realistically seeing what's ahead.
10 wins is stretch.

Sure-Oz
09-21-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't want a playoff team. I want a good playoff team. "Anything can happen" hasn't really worked out for the Chiefs.
Last year it did, too bad the team and the coaching didn't take advantage and show up.

I would like a "good" playoff team as well, not one that barely gets in and is struggling.

talastan
09-21-2007, 09:25 AM
I hope we get to the playoffs. I honestly believe though our best chance is with Brodie at the helm. We can't get LJ his breakout runs with 8 or 9 in the box every play. And Huard's checkdown passes don't open up the field at all. Even with Brodie's mistakes I think the downfield passing and ability to move out of the pocket would be more beneficial to our offense than Huard has currently shown. If Huard shows this ability to do all of this than fine, but until he proves otherwise my opinion stands.

Easy 6
09-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I hope we get to the playoffs. I honestly believe though our best chance is with Brodie at the helm. We can't get LJ his breakout runs with 8 or 9 in the box every play. And Huard's checkdown passes don't open up the field at all. Even with Brodie's mistakes I think the downfield passing and ability to move out of the pocket would be more beneficial to our offense than Huard has currently shown. If Huard shows this ability to do all of this than fine, but until he proves otherwise my opinion stands.

Agreed, it should have been Brodie from Day 1.

Just having him out there forces teams to defend the entire field, it was an incredibly short-sighted move to start Huard.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Agreed, it should have been Brodie from Day 1.

Just having him out there forces teams to defend the entire field, it was an incredibly short-sighted move to start Huard.
and after we started 0-2 with Brodie everyone would have been saying it should have been Huard from the start...

WE ALL KNEW we were destined for a 1-3 start.

Easy 6
09-21-2007, 09:38 AM
and after we started 0-2 with Brodie everyone would have been saying it should have been Huard from the start...

WE ALL KNEW we were destined for a 1-3 start.

Who says we go 0-2???

The Tejans game in particular was winnable.

Croyle would have made some mistakes, he also might have completed enough long throws to force those D's off of the line of scrimmage & give LJ some room.

Brodie can only learn so much on the sideline, he's inexperienced but not a rookie...i think most of us here would have been willing to take the good & bad with Croyle.

Micjones
09-21-2007, 09:45 AM
We're not "contenders" yet, but I believe we could be. We shot ourselves in the foot in both contests thus far. If we cut out the mistakes... We'll be a good football team.

Chiefnj2
09-21-2007, 09:46 AM
There will be a very fine line as to who is a contender and who isn't in the AFC West this year. Not much separates any of the teams. Denver could be 0-2 just as easily as 2-0. The Chiefs are a couple of penalties and silly turnovers away from being 2-0.

htismaqe
09-21-2007, 09:54 AM

Because winning 9 games is better than even sniffing the Lombardi Trophy.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Because winning 9 games is better than even sniffing the Lombardi Trophy.
winning 9 games is better than winning 4 games no matter how you want to (and we know you're going to) spin it...

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 09:56 AM
There will be a very fine line as to who is a contender and who isn't in the AFC West this year. Not much separates any of the teams. Denver could be 0-2 just as easily as 2-0. The Chiefs are a couple of penalties and silly turnovers away from being 2-0.

I think Jags are going to expose the Bronks this week.

htismaqe
09-21-2007, 09:56 AM
winning 9 games is better than winning 4 games no matter how you want to (and we know you're going to) spin it...

Nothing short of a championship game is FAILURE. Let's see you spin that one.

Otter
09-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Carl just creamed his jeans somewhere while in a moan of passion screaming "MEDIOCRITY!!!" and eyeballing Hottie's 8x11.

Ultra Peanut
09-21-2007, 10:10 AM
winning 9 games is better than winning 4 games no matter how you want to (and we know you're going to) spin it...Is it really? After countless years of never having a realistic shot, and then continuing to pretend you do rather than taking the steps necessary to become a true contender?

Once you reach that point, 4 wins can be a much-needed wakeup call, and that's without even mentioning draft position.

JohninGpt
09-21-2007, 10:17 AM
And everything is still going according to plan. Herm just wanted to get the losses out of the way early.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Nothing short of a championship game is FAILURE. Let's see you spin that one.
:rolleyes:

Your expectations are outrageous for this team.

We don't have Peyton, we don't have Brady, we don't have a championship caliber team...

Herm is putting together a nice defense, and we have some good young talent...

Personally, I think you just like to bitch. Croyle isn't any good, we saw that in the preseason, you're not smarter than the coaching staff or the GM, and neither am I...

But keep on crying, it's quite funny...all you do is bitch, bitch, bitch...

Go jump on the Patriots bandwagon...

cdcox
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
A lot of the homers are comparing this year to last year. That is very best case senario, IMO. The homers don't want to acknowledge that this could turn out more like 2004, where a team that went 13 -3 the previous year slipped all the way to 7-9 the following year.

Until our offense strarts 1) sustaining drives and 2) scoring TDs in the red zone, we are going to be extremly suceptible to losing a game because of a motion penalty or a bad ref call. Herm's plan on the road is to 1) play a perfect no risk game and 2) hope you catch a break to pull off a win. That is not going win you very many road games, even if it does keep you close so you appear to be competitive.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 10:23 AM
A lot of the homers are comparing this year to last year. That is very best case senario, IMO. The homers don't want to acknowledge that this could turn out more like 2004, where a team that went 13 -3 the previous year slipped all the way to 7-9 the following year.

Until our offense strarts 1) sustaining drives and 2) scoring TDs in the red zone, we are going to be extremly suceptible to losing a game because of a motion penalty or a bad ref call. Herm's plan on the road is to 1) play a perfect no risk game and 2) hope you catch a break to pull off a win. That is not going win you very many road games, even if it does keep you close so you appear to be competitive.
I'm not sure about this, but I think we lead every game but 1 (New England) in the 4th quarter in 2004...

So I don't think that's a reasonable comparison...everyone knows we had a ridiculously easy schedule in 2003 and we were forcing turnovers left and right (getting lucky) and once our rush defense was exploited we were extremely mediocre...we were probably a better team in 2004 then we were in 2003 in all honesty.

htismaqe
09-21-2007, 10:25 AM

We don't have Peyton, we don't have Brady, we don't have a championship caliber team...

Herm is putting together a nice defense, and we have some good young talent...

Personally, I think you just like to bitch. Croyle isn't any good, we saw that in the preseason, you're not smarter than the coaching staff or the GM, and neither am I...

But keep on crying, it's quite funny...all you do is bitch, bitch, bitch...

Go jump on the Patriots bandwagon...

ROFL

Yeah, I sure was bitchin' defending Herm when he was hired. Or defending Vermeil for the first 3 years he was here. The list goes on and on and on.

It's all about this year, isn't it? Your extreme lack of perspective is still somewhat surprising, despite the fact that you display it openly quite often.

See, I DON'T like to bitch. But I've been watching this team for 25 years and I'm sick and tired of being an also-ran.

Easy 6
09-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Croyle isn't any good, we saw that in the preseason

You dont have nearly enough information to make that assertion.

Elway lined up under gaurd early in his career, with that, are you saying Croyle isnt allowed to struggle a little bit???

Did you watch the Miami game, he had 1 dumb jump ball off of his back foot...other than that all he did was carve up their secondary.

Even you cant argue that Huard has a better upside than Croyle, the future is now.

Otter
09-21-2007, 10:30 AM

Lord help for asking but...

And what do you think the reason is that the team has been in the above situation for so long?

Otter
09-21-2007, 10:35 AM

Personally, I think you just like to bitch. Croyle isn't any good, we saw that in the preseason

BTW...

Your ability to indirectly contradict yourself is quiet amazing. You're reaching KCJohnny proportions.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 10:39 AM
BTW...

Your ability to indirectly contradict yourself is quiet amazing. You're reaching KCJohnny proportions.
dude, you've been here for almost 8 years, have the same amount of posts as me, and all morning long ALL you've done is followed me around from thread to thread telling me how stupid I am...

obsess much?

Otter
09-21-2007, 10:45 AM
dude, you've been here for almost 8 years, have the same amount of posts as me, and all morning long ALL you've done is followed me around from thread to thread telling me how stupid I am...

obsess much?

I find your reasoning amazing in a train wreck kinda way. If you notice, it's the same with KCJ.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I find your reasoning amazing in a train wreck kinda way. If you notice, it's the same with KCJ.
seriously...I don't know the guy but if you want me to try and orchestrate a threesome with you, me and him I'll try my best

J.C. dude, J.C...

beach tribe
09-21-2007, 10:49 AM
You guys do understand that you've been crying over the same shit for months, and probably years. Surely you've figured out by now that you CAN'T DO A DAMN THING ABOUT IT.
Get over it already

Carl sucks=no shit

Herm is outdated=breaking news

Brodie should be starting=you don't saaaaay

Solari=well Solari.

I don't see how wanting us to lose changes ANY of this

A WIN in the playoffs THIS year will give these guys the confidence to become a better team.

You're to busy bitching, and crying to realize that this team might be able to that.

Eleazar
09-21-2007, 11:00 AM

That is what nobody is saying. Croyle didn't look good in the preseason, but Huard didn't look good either. Nobody went out and won the job, Huard got it by default because our organization in every way is scared. We call plays scared, we draft scared, we are scared of the free agent market at times, and we make depth chart decisions scared. (all this fits because Huard plays scared too). The Chiefs have a culture that is afraid to take even small risks.

There's no way anyone can tell me that Croyle can't do what Huard is doing. Huard is throwing checkdown passes to running backs and ducks to the first down marker.

There is NO upside to Huard playing right now. There is nothing to gain but a win or two for a team that has a 20% chance or less of making the playoffs.

htismaqe
09-21-2007, 11:02 AM
A WIN in the playoffs THIS year will give these guys the confidence to become a better team.

Can these guys WIN IT ALL?

Making it to the playoffs at all gives this band of clowns yet another, facetious, excuse to keep doing what they're doing.

cdcox
09-21-2007, 11:03 AM
There is NO upside to Huard playing right now. There is nothing to gain but a win or two for a team that has a 20% chance or less of making the playoffs.

6%, actually.

Mr. Laz
09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Smith always be backin a brother

Lzen
09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Croyle isn't any good, we saw that in the preseason, you're not smarter than the coaching staff or the GM, and neither am I...

You don't know that. What we saw in preseason was a young QB making mistakes that young QBs typically make. With playing time, good QBs learn from those mistakes and stop making them.

MahiMike
09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
who the hell is Michael Smith?

RustShack
09-21-2007, 11:18 AM
who the hell is Michael Smith?

Do you pay any attention to football?

Kerberos
09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Michael Smith Calls the Chiefs "Contenders" on NFL Live.

For What??? League Basement?

Nightfyre
09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
From what I have seen, KC needs to push the ball downfield with playaction in order to open the field for LJ. In order to accomplish this two things must happen:
1) Better pass protection to give the QB time to set up, specifically from the tackle positions.
2) Need a QB who can throw the ball more than 5 yards.

When this happens, we will be a top-flight team with Herm's scheme. If we could get a couple of awesome DTs, we could also be a lot more aggressive on defense and create turnovers.
Most importantly, Special Teams needs to step it up. This team isnt as hopeless as everyone would have you believe.
Just my take.

beach tribe
09-21-2007, 11:26 AM

Making it to the playoffs at all gives this band of clowns yet another, facetious, excuse to keep doing what they're doing.
So you are saying you want us to lose?

Please clear this up for me.

beach tribe
09-21-2007, 11:29 AM

I think these guys have the potential to become a powerhouse in a couple years.

WINNING will make them think it too.

Lzen
09-21-2007, 11:32 AM
From what I have seen, KC needs to push the ball downfield with playaction in order to open the field for LJ. In order to accomplish this two things must happen:
1) Better pass protection to give the QB time to set up, specifically from the tackle positions.
2) Need a QB who can throw the ball more than 5 yards.

When this happens, we will be a top-flight team with Herm's scheme. If we could get a couple of awesome DTs, we could also be a lot more aggressive on defense and create turnovers.
Most importantly, Special Teams needs to step it up. This team isnt as hopeless as everyone would have you believe.
Just my take.

That's a pretty good take. I would like to point out that the offensive line has given the QB some time on more than a few occasions. It's not like the QB has defenders jumping all over him right after the snap on every play. I have seen a few occasions where he has had time and just threw it out into the flat quickly rather than looking and/or waiting for something to open up downfield.

htismaqe
09-21-2007, 11:41 AM
So you are saying you want us to lose?

Please clear this up for me.

I don't want us to lose.

But we're going to.

Making it to the playoffs just creates false hope, for the players and the fans, and it creates a built-in excuse to keep a front office and coaching staff that isn't capable of winning a Super Bowl.

Do you really want to read:

"We were this close, so we've decided to give Carl Peterson another 4-year extension", said Clark Hunt.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2007, 11:44 AM
That's a pretty good take. I would like to point out that the offensive line has given the QB some time on more than a few occasions. It's not like the QB has defenders jumping all over him right after the snap on every play. I have seen a few occasions where he has had time and just threw it out into the flat quickly rather than looking and/or waiting for something to open up downfield.

That's what he's being coached to do.

Lzen
09-21-2007, 11:46 AM
That's what he's being coached to do.

Do you have proof of this? If not, don't try and feed me BS.

Kerberos
09-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Do you have proof of this? If not, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

FYP

Stinger
09-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Making it to the playoffs just creates false hope, for the players and the fans, .

WTH???????????

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

I am sorry Parker I enjoy your football takes but this has got to be the most assine thing you have said. So a team that has fought hard together for 16 weeks to make it to the playoff. Then they make it and all of a sudden they say OMG what did we do to deserve this!???!!! Sure we won all those games but now we don't know what to do. THIS IS IT we made it to the Playoff and we are D00MED!!!!!!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Micjones
09-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Winning a Lombardi trophy is what matters, but I'll take a playoff berth over sitting at home come playoff time.

beach tribe
09-21-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't want us to lose.

But we're going to.

Making it to the playoffs just creates false hope, for the players and the fans, and it creates a built-in excuse to keep a front office and coaching staff that isn't capable of winning a Super Bowl.

"We were this close, so we've decided to give Carl Peterson another 4-year extension", said Clark Hunt.
Losing also creates things.

You think JA wants to resign with a loser.

You think losing doesn't put doubt in the minds of guys like Tank and Turk. Losind is habitual, and contagious.

The only thing worse than a mediocre mind set is a losing one. We're trying to go forward, not back.

You do not have to fail to succeed.

And the bottom line is, unfortunately, that carl will be here until he decides to leave. Lamar wrote his ticket, and Clark will not fire him.

Hopefully he will leave when his contract is up, but it might not happen, Win, or Lose. He could throw Herm under the buss, and be golden for another 4rs.

What I'm trying to say is......Let it go man. It's not in our hands.

All we can do is look at what we have. We have some players on this team that can make some noise in this league. A playoff win could push them over the edge.

Brock
09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Sure we won all those games but now we don't know what to do. THIS IS IT we made it to the Playoff and we are D00MED!!!!!!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Been following the Chiefs long?

chiefsfan1963
09-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Until we clear our entire Front Office of new blood this franchise will never go the distance.

Stinger
09-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Been following the Chiefs long?

Brock I know that is tounge and cheek, but notice I said players not fans.

For the fans (given the past playoff records) some/most of us Chiefs fans will claim that false hope exsist until the team show us.

Coogs
09-21-2007, 12:21 PM
how can ANYONE who watched the Bears game NOT see that this is a playoff caliber team.

I still didn't see it in the game vs. the Bears. I saw a game that we were lucky we did not get blown out in. Mostly because of the special teams and the offense, but I just don't see a dominate defense yet either. It looked more like a crappy Grossman than a dominate defense to me. A better defense than last year... maybe. But a lot similar to last year at this point.

I have seen what I consider to be playoff caliber teams in the Colts and Pats. And I am not sure if we are in the same class as the Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, and Chargers at this point. The Texans seem to be much improved as well, and the Broncos are living lucky if nothing else. I see a team closer to the level of the Jets, Fish, Bills, Raiders, Browns, Jags, and Titans than I do the upper echelon teams at this point.

This Sunday vs the Vikings should be a better gage of where this team really ranks this season. Potential contender.... it's possible. But potential pretender is just a possible as well.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Do you have proof of this? If not, don't try and feed me BS.

It's not hard to figure out. Damon threw the ball downfield last year.

the Talking Can
09-21-2007, 12:39 PM
nothing can suppress the Chief fan's single minded desire for mediocrity...it bubbles forth in this thread...somewhere Carl's balls are getting hot flashes...

Only one franchise would have the audacity to take a 34 yr old 12 yr VET backup and declare him the QBOTF, the QB who can lead us to the promise land...and only one fan base would rise up, cheering for Mr. 66% QB rating to lead them...

I used to think Carl used some kind of black magic, but threads like this remind that it takes no magic, or even intelligence, to make a bunch suckers happy.

win now!

window of opportunity!!

9-7

Lzen
09-21-2007, 01:09 PM
It's not hard to figure out. Damon threw the ball downfield last year.

Did we get new coaches this year?

Hammock Parties
09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Did we get new coaches this year?

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8936/dickcurlhl4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BigRock
09-21-2007, 01:30 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8936/dickcurlhl4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
But what does Dick Curl have to do with the plays that Solari calls? If Solari was calling plays to go downfield and Huard was checking down because that's what Curl tells him to do, we'd be seeing plays... not counting 3rd and long situations... where it actually LOOKS like Huard wants to go deep. Maybe he gives a pump-fake, maybe he holds the ball a second or two longer than he should, and then he suddenly looks over and hits his checkdown guy because there's nothing open.

But how often do we really see that? The overwhelming majority of the time, it seems Huard looks to the checkdown receiver like he's one of the primary options on the play that's been called.

When guys on the team are talking about going downfield and calling better plays, they aren't talking about how Dick Curl coaches the QBs.

MyChiefConcern
09-21-2007, 01:32 PM

Abso-fricking-lute truth right there, folks.

The Kansas City Chiefs are nothing more than a series of used band-aids placed on old wounds that never want to heal. I would much rather face a train-wreck of a season, or TWO train wrecks, if it put the team I've spent my entire friggin' life supporting in a position to finally be a real winner. And not a 13-3 winner that was all smoke and mirrors. Nor a 9-7 winner that backed into the playoffs because those suck-ass bastards to the West couldn't take care of business. A team with honest to God balance, and a legitimate shot at going all the way.

That has happened precisely one time under Carl Peterson's tenure with the Chiefs, and it took the greatest QB of all time, on his way out the door, to do it.

Joe Montana ain't standing on that sideline.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2007, 01:36 PM
But what does Dick Curl have to do with the plays that Solari calls? If Solari was calling plays to go downfield and Huard was checking down because that's what Curl tells him to do, we'd be seeing plays... not counting 3rd and long situations... where it actually LOOKS like Huard wants to go deep. Maybe he gives a pump-fake, maybe he holds the ball a second or two longer than he should, and then he suddenly looks over and hits his checkdown guy because there's nothing open.

But how often do we really see that? The overwhelming majority of the time, it seems Huard looks to the checkdown receiver like he's one of the primary options on the play that's been called.

When guys on the team are talking about going downfield and calling better plays, they aren't talking about how Dick Curl coaches the QBs.

I've seen us call downfield routes. The quarterbacks are being coached to get rid of the football as soon as possible. It's the only explanation, because we DIDN'T throw the football like this last year.

We miss Trent Green and Terry Shea.

Curl is also responsible in some element for gameplanning and scheming each week.

That's what Gonzalez was bitching about this week.

Sure-Oz
09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Anyone think they give a crap about Gonzo's input?? They snap and release the ball in 2 seconds and have 1 option in mind it seems.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Anyone think they give a crap about Gonzo's input?? They snap and release the ball in 2 seconds and have 1 option in mind it seems.

They better ****ing give a crap. If these coaches lose the locker room, the season is over.

Sure-Oz
09-21-2007, 01:43 PM
They better ****ing give a crap. If these coaches lose the locker room, the season is over.
I agree as well....I'd hope they'd listen to our offensive leader and the longest tenured chief on the team.

the Talking Can
09-21-2007, 02:20 PM
I've never seen such excuse making for a 12 yr vet QB.

unreal

StcChief
09-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Gonzo's input should have some weight there.

Hootie
09-21-2007, 02:25 PM

unreal
If Huard threw 11 TD passes and 0 INT's the next two weeks and the Chiefs won both games 95% of the board would STILL want Croyle to start and they'd STILL reference how bad Huard is and how lucky he got etc. etc. etc.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2007, 02:27 PM

unreal

Who's making excuses? It's not like he's missing guys. He's just executing the pathetic gameplans he's being told to execute.

People that want to blame Huard can't see the real problem. The offensive braintrust at One Arrowhead Drive is awful. NO ONE has EVER coordinated a successful NFL offense on this staff. NO ONE. Hell, Solari is the only one with experience calling plays in an NFL game and he's only done it for ONE YEAR.

Look at the good offenses in this league. They ALL have established offensive gurus running the show. We have JACK SHIT. The cupboard is bare on the offensive side of the coaching staff. Solari's a n00b, Curl's a yes man snitch, Joiner hasn't produced a wide receiver worth a shit since Andre Reed...hell, the tight end and offensive line coaches might be the only bright spots, and they sure as hell aren't gonna start calling the plays.

Dumping Terry Shea is the worst decision Herm ever made. He should have been promoted to offensive coordinator from day one.

But go ahead and blame the quarterback.

**** it. Huard should be the one calling the plays.

MyChiefConcern
09-21-2007, 02:28 PM
If Huard threw 11 TD passes and 0 INT's the next two weeks and the Chiefs won both games 95% of the board would STILL want Croyle to start and they'd STILL reference how bad Huard is and how lucky he got etc. etc. etc.

That's a bit extreme.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2007, 02:28 PM
You know those parasites that burrow up your pisshole??

Dick Curl is that for the Kansas City Chiefs.

the Talking Can
09-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Who's making excuses? It's not like he's missing guys. He's just executing the pathetic gameplans he's being told to execute.

People that want to blame Huard can't see the real problem. The offensive braintrust at One Arrowhead Drive is awful. NO ONE has EVER coordinated a successful NFL offense on this staff. NO ONE. Hell, Solari is the only one with experience calling plays in an NFL game and he's only done it for ONE YEAR.

Look at the good offenses in this league. They ALL have established offensive gurus running the show. We have JACK SHIT. The cupboard is bare on the offensive side of the coaching staff. Solari's a n00b, Curl's a yes man snitch, Joiner hasn't produced a wide receiver worth a shit since Andre Reed...hell, the tight end and offensive line coaches might be the only bright spots, and they sure as hell aren't gonna start calling the plays.

Dumping Terry Shea is the worst decision Herm ever made. He should have been promoted to offensive coordinator from day one.

But go ahead and blame the quarterback.

**** it. Huard should be the one calling the plays.

lol...not one excuse but now 1,000...throw in Bush and you've covered every base

but go ahead and blame everyone but the QB....

SBK
09-21-2007, 02:35 PM
I love how the people that claim to be tired of mediocrity are the ones that want us to lose and lose big.

Go figure.

the Talking Can
09-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Huard is what he is.

He is what he has been his ENTIRE career as a BACKUP.

A placeholder. A stop-gap. A mediocre time waster. A band-aid for franchises going nowhere.

He is never going to be anything other than WHAT HE ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

Every single snap he takes is an insult, an embarrassment, and a ****ing waste.

Let's draw a line in the sand so there is NO doubt:

A) You believe Huard is taking us to the Superbowl.
B) You do not believe Huard is taking us to the Superbowl.

If you believe A then you are a ****ING RETARD.

If you believe B then you believe that every single snap this piece of shit takes is a waste and is ONE SNAP FURTHER AWAY FROM THE FUTURE, WHATEVER THAT FUTURE MAY BE (Brodie or a 1st round draft pick).

There ain't no middle ground anymore. You support the mediocrity that Huard represents or you do not.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2007, 02:38 PM
lol...not one excuse but now 1,000...throw in Bush and you've covered every base

but go ahead and blame everyone but the QB....

I can't ignore what I saw last year. Huard was 6th in yards per attempt with a poor offensive line.

Suddenly Trent Green and Terry Shea leave, and we upgrade the offensive line, but now we're back to throwing three-yard dumpoffs? Nope. This is all on the coaching staff. Huard is capable of so much more. The idiots running the show dumped Terry Shea because he was coaching his quarterbacks to be too aggressive.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2007, 02:42 PM
A) You believe Huard is taking us to the Superbowl.
B) You do not believe Huard is taking us to the Superbowl.

I've gone over this before but I'll say it again.

Huard is not taking us to the Super Bowl. He might take us to the playoffs.

But Brodie isn't ready. He's just going to get ****ing killed if he goes out there this year. It won't be good for his confidence or his future. He needs to wait until there's more talent around him - hopefully next year.

TEX
09-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I've gone over this before but I'll say it again.

Huard is not taking us to the Super Bowl. He might take us to the playoffs.

But Brodie isn't ready. He's just going to get ****ing killed if he goes out there this year. It won't be good for his confidence or his future. He needs to wait until there's more talent around him - hopefully next year.

Dude, I argued those same points with you and others nearly all of preseason. Now you switch sides after the insults. Typical Weak - A$$ Wannabe .. . ROFL

Zouk
09-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I can't ignore what I saw last year. Huard was 6th in yards per attempt with a poor offensive line.

Suddenly Trent Green and Terry Shea leave, and we upgrade the offensive line, but now we're back to throwing three-yard dumpoffs? Nope. This is all on the coaching staff. Huard is capable of so much more. The idiots running the show dumped Terry Shea because he was coaching his quarterbacks to be too aggressive.

How's that working out in Miami?

BigRock
09-21-2007, 03:07 PM
I've seen us call downfield routes.
Sure, it happens occasionally. But plays where Huard appears to scan the deep routes, even if he ultimately still throws it to the checkdown guy, don't seem to happen nearly as frequently as plays where he goes right to the guy running a 2 yard route.

That's either on the playcalling or Huard not wanting to get hit, IMO.

Chiefnj2
09-21-2007, 03:10 PM
How's that working out in Miami?
The same as it did the first year in KC.

Zouk
09-21-2007, 03:11 PM

And also - Huard didn't play the Bears on the road last year.

I bet if you look at his 2006 numbers in road games only they would look different (may be skewed by the Rams game a bit - that was a dome game against a terrible D with the stadium half-filled by Chiefs fans).

Not to mention the fact that the Chiefs' only legitimate NFL WR with experience got hurt on the first play from scrimmage this year. Bowe will be there eventually, but we know it takes time (Meachem and Jarrett haven't even been active yet, for example).

Mecca
09-21-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't want us to lose.

But we're going to.

I wonder if the LJ poster will come play his fan card to you like he does to me and start personally insulting you also...

htismaqe
09-21-2007, 04:06 PM
WTH???????????

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

I am sorry Parker I enjoy your football takes but this has got to be the most assine thing you have said. So a team that has fought hard together for 16 weeks to make it to the playoff. Then they make it and all of a sudden they say OMG what did we do to deserve this!???!!! Sure we won all those games but now we don't know what to do. THIS IS IT we made it to the Playoff and we are D00MED!!!!!!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Did you watch the playoff game last year? Did you listen to the players, including LJ, who threw the offensive coaches under the bus?

doomy3
09-21-2007, 09:10 PM
I've seen us call downfield routes. The quarterbacks are being coached to get rid of the football as soon as possible. It's the only explanation, because we DIDN'T throw the football like this last year.

We miss Trent Green and Terry Shea.

Curl is also responsible in some element for gameplanning and scheming each week.

That's what Gonzalez was bitching about this week.

Except for when Croyle came in the game, we did throw downfield.

Same in the preseason.

Huard and Croyle play two different games.