PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs’ Johnson says people taking shots at him is part of being a celebrity

Hammock Parties
09-22-2007, 12:38 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/285936.html

By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

Shortly after Chiefs practice Friday, a reporter approached Larry Johnson at his locker and asked him to rap.

Johnson just smirked.

“I don’t rap,” he said. “I crush linebackers. It’s what I do.”

Johnson’s football skills, however, were hardly the hot topic around this time last week, when someone posted a rap song on the Internet allegedly sung by Johnson that included some scathing comments about Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson and running back Priest Holmes.

In a statement issued Sept. 14, Johnson denied involvement in the song and said the voice on the recording wasn’t his. He declined to answer questions about the situation until Friday, when he discussed it at length.

“The whole thing was blown out of proportion,” Johnson said. “It’s just the way the media are today. They’re always looking for a story, looking for a come-up. Everyone wants to be the next ESPN anchor. You just roll with the punches.

“I’m still here. I’m still playing. I’m still a Kansas City Chief. Carl is still my friend. Me and Priest still talk. It was blown way out of proportion.”

Johnson, who again denied involvement in the song, said he’s well-aware that his high-profile status will cause him to come under scrutiny from time to time. He said he tries to ignore the personal jabs and criticisms that often come his way.

“It’s part of being a celebrity,” Johnson said.

“It’s part of being in the public eye. When you’re one of the bigger names in the city — when people are mentioning your name as far as football and holdouts and stuff — you expect people to take shots at you every now and then. You’ve just got to wipe it off and keep going.

“As many people as there are that may hate you, there are more people that tell you they like you, like that guy on Warpaint, and that they love what you’re doing in Kansas City. That’s what I really enjoy.”

Even the Chiefs fans that don’t like Johnson will probably give him a second chance if he performs well in Sunday’s home opener against Minnesota.

The Chiefs take a 0-2 record into their showdown against the Vikings, 1-1. Kansas City has scored only one touchdown in two games, and Johnson is averaging just 49 rushing yards a game.

Because Johnson missed almost all of training camp because of a contract holdout, the Chiefs have taken it easy on their All-Pro during the first two games. Johnson carried just 10 times in a season-opening loss to Houston. He had 16 carries in last week’s setback at Chicago.

“I’m definitely back to where I should be (physically),” Johnson said. “The Chicago game is where I really wanted to pick it up. I know I only got 16 carries, but I was still ready to roll (in the fourth quarter). I was still fresh. I could’ve kept going and going. But because of the point (differential), I had to pass.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said Johnson told him he wanted 40 carries this week.

“I was just with him,” Johnson said. “But if we need that to win the game, yeah, I’d do it. I was cut short the last two weeks anyway. Hopefully we can (treat) those numbers like Cingular rollover minutes and roll them over to this game.”

Despite the Chiefs’ winless record, Johnson said it’s too early for fans to get discouraged. He hopes his teammates keep their spirits high, too. He said it’s pointless to start questioning the play-calling and the coaching staff this soon.

“Guys don’t need to worry about the play-calling right now,” Johnson said. “They just need to worry about their individual job. No one is playing a perfect game. I’m not playing a perfect game. I’ve made mistakes. I’ve missed schemes, calls, runs, that kind of stuff. You can’t bash what the play is, because no one is playing a perfect game.

“It’s a long season. When things are supposed to happen, they’ll happen.”

Thig Lyfe
09-22-2007, 12:41 AM
People think he's a jerk, but at least he has a genuine passion for the game. Any player who wants to punish himself with 40 carries has to.

Direckshun
09-22-2007, 12:59 AM
God.

This team is honestly just ripping apart at the seams.

We need a big victory tomorrow.

Buns
09-22-2007, 01:07 AM
“I don’t rap, I crush linebackers. It’s what I do.”

"I was cut short the last two weeks anyway. Hopefully we can (treat) those numbers like Cingular rollover minutes and roll them over to this game.”

Those are some quotes

ClevelandBronco
09-22-2007, 01:21 AM
God.

Yes you do, but it's not because the AFC West is going to get so far ahead of the Chiefs that you can't make up ground later. I wouldn't put money on the Broncos this weekend, and the Chargers are still struggling to remember who they were last season (Big surprise. What an idiot Spanos is.)

My guess on where we stand on Monday: Broncos 2-1; Chargers 2-1; Chiefs 1-2; Raiders 1-2.

Smed1065
09-22-2007, 01:29 AM
I am actually surprised with the AFCW this year but you can not dominate in the NFL for long.

That is why the AFCW usually has a new division leader every year as well.

Kaylore
09-22-2007, 02:03 AM
That is why the AFCW usually has a new division leader every year as well.
And this is why it will have a new one this year.

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/apmegasports/oas30501010529.hmedium.jpg

Smed1065
09-22-2007, 02:10 AM
If SD does not win, I will be surprised even with the usual outcome.

1/8th of a season might make you feel good but last year was filled with opportunities that were not realized. Even @ home.

In the NFL it is the tortoise and not the hare that usually wins.

HonestChieffan
09-22-2007, 05:33 AM
His rollover minutes on Cingular are a result of no signal, dropped calls, and lousy service.

If Larry is the football equivalent to Cingular, we are more than doomed.

Smed1065
09-22-2007, 05:36 AM
Am I the only one that notices Gaylord is accurate for his team?

blueballs
09-22-2007, 06:18 AM
As many people as there are that may hate you, there are more people that tell you they like you, like that guy on Warpaint, and that they love what you’re doing in Kansas City. That’s what I really enjoy.”

This is sad
scary
and just wrong

htismaqe
09-22-2007, 06:42 AM
God.

Yeah, we need a victory.

The team is gonna rip apart at the seams anyway, but we might as well delay it a couple of weeks. Or hell, let's make the playoffs and lose in the first round, delay the drama until the offseason, and go through all of this again next year...

StcChief
09-22-2007, 07:39 AM
“The whole thing was blown out of proportion,” Johnson said. “It’s just the way the media are today. They’re always looking for a story, looking for a come-up. Everyone wants to be the next ESPN anchor.

Glad someone else thinks like I do about the media.

Mr. Laz
09-22-2007, 09:31 AM
i hate to break it to him ......... but he's not that much of a celebrity.

htismaqe
09-22-2007, 09:36 AM
i hate to break it to him ......... but he's not that much of a celebrity.

No shit.

And not only that, but every game he plays under this current coaching staff makes him even LESS of one...

Molitoth
09-22-2007, 09:37 AM
“As many people as there are that may hate you, there are more people that tell you they like you, like that guy on Warpaint"

haha!

morphius
09-22-2007, 09:42 AM
As many people as there are that may hate you, there are more people that tell you they like you, like that guy on Warpaint, and that they love what you’re doing in Kansas City. That’s what I really enjoy.”

This is sad
scary
and just wrong
And added in for humor, I heard the interview and he did not say that.

sheesh.