PDA

View Full Version : My Coaching Debut

kczoo
09-22-2007, 12:51 PM
We played our first pee-wee football game last week; we lost. I was so damn proud though. It's a great feeling when our 59lb running back ripped off a 40 yard TD run. I thought, wow I made that kid a running back in 1st grade and look what he's learned in two weeks. They are slow to learn the techniques, but great kids!

nychief
09-22-2007, 12:54 PM
bribe them with candy. That is what my priest did with me...

jagerdrinker
09-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Congrats, man. This is my fourth year coaching kids, and it gets more and more difficult every year. Make sure to teach them proper techniques, no matter what anyone tells you about how bear-crawling will fill holes. Eventually, that technique won't work, and you'll have a kid who doesn't know a rip move from a 7 technique. At that age, one talented kid can win a championship for you. Treat them fairly, and make sure that everyone plays, and you'll get a ton of loyalty from kids and parents alike. Most of all, have fun. Good luck!

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Reminds me of the first game I coached. I was 16, coaching a basketball team in a church tournament.

We won 47-7. The highlight came with about a minute left in the game....we were still playing a full court press and a dude on the other team fouled one of our players hard and then grabbed the ball and shouted

"This is poor sportsmanship. It's bullshit!!" and punted the ball into the stands and walked off the court.

stumppy
09-22-2007, 01:23 PM
bribe them with candy. That is what my priest did with me...

I don't think they're playing touch.