PDA

View Full Version : A little more BOBBY SIPPIO!

RustShack
09-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Sippio tackles new challenge
Courtesy: Nathan Boudreaux
Release: 09/18/2007

Courtesy: S. Woltmann/AFL/WireImage.com

By Nathan Boudreaux -- It’s certainly true that hard work pays off.

And there’s no better example than former Arena Football League receiver Bobby Sippio, who made his NFL debut on Sunday when the Kansas Chiefs fell to the Chicago Bears 20-10 at Soldier Field.

Sippio was signed by Kansas City after the AFL season and opened the year on the club’s practice squad. But, everything changed last week when Sippio (wearing #83 for the Chiefs) was signed to the active roster to fill-in for injured receiver Eddie Kennison.

“It’s been a blessing,” Sippio said of his opportunity to showcase his talent at the NFL level. “It’s a dream come true to be able to play in a regular season game and just being a part of it all. I couldn’t ask for any more excitement.”

Although last week’s contest was a road game for the Chiefs, Sippio felt right at home (literally) in the Windy City. He spent the last two seasons as a member of the AFL’s Chicago Rush and led the Rush to an ArenaBowl championship in 2006. He was one of the League’s most prominent receivers last season hauling in 125 passes for 1,739 yards and 53 touchdowns, despite missing nearly four games with an ankle injury.

Rush head coach Mike Hohensee and a host of Sippio’s former Rush teammates were in the stands on Sunday.

“I always hear from the guys,” Sippio said. “We have a wonderful team (with the Rush) and we always keep in contact and are supportive of our teammates and coaches.”

Although Sippio didn’t score any touchdowns or even catch a pass with the Chiefs base offense, he contributed on special teams.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound animated receiver has become a fan-favorite with the Chiefs after he was featured in the HBO hit series Hard Knocks, which gave viewers a behind-the-scene look at Chiefs training camp.

Although Sippio is a first-year player by NFL standards, he’s no stranger to professional football. He began is pro career in af2 with the Greensboro Prowlers in 2003 and has spent the last four seasons in the AFL with Dallas, Tampa Bay and Chicago. During his stellar AFL career, Sippio has caught 350 passes for 5,097 yards and 140 TDs. He went to training camp with the Miami Dolphins in 2004 but injured his knee during the preseason.

“The No. 1 thing as a wide receiver is you’ve got to catch the ball,” Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards said. “(Sippio) can catch the ball. He’s got very strong hands. He’s a physical guy. He can go inside. He’s fearless, has no fear for the linebackers. He’ll go in there and get hit and hold onto the football. That is what you like.”

It was ironic the Sippio made his debut in the same city where he played Arena ball, but there was also another unique twist to the game as well. On the other sideline for the Bears was former San Jose SaberCats star receiver Rashied Davis. Davis helped the SaberCats to a pair of ArenaBowl titles (2002 and ’04) and set SaberCats team season records with 44 TDs and 264 points in 2005.

Davis had his best NFL season with Chicago last year when he caught 22 passes for 303 yards and two scores, and helped the Bears to an NFC Championship and a Super Bowl berth. He caught three passes for 20 yards in the Bears win on Sunday.

“I wouldn’t be here (in the NFL) without Arena,” Davis told arenafootball.com prior to the Super Bowl last season. “(Playing) Arena Football helped me a lot because it taught me how to be a professional athlete – how to come to work and work hard every day.”

Like Davis, Sippio learned a lot about himself and his ability to succeed on the football field while playing in the AFL.

“(The AFL taught me to) play fast and to make plays,” he said.

Sippio has made a ton of plays over the last two seasons while playing for the Rush and hopes to translate some of that success to the 100-yard field.

“I’m just looking to have a lot of fun playing the game,” he said

And as for his creative touchdown celebrations we enjoyed every time he found the end zone for the Rush.

“Just the fun part will carry over to the NFL, not really all of the celebrations,” Sippio said jokingly. “In the AFL they give us more leeway to do celebrations, but I’m not leaning that way (in the NFL).”

With Kennison sidelined, the Chiefs hope to work Sippio more into the offense moving forward. Kansas City hosts Minnesota this Sunday on FOX (1 pm ET).

Nathan Boudreaux has been working for arenafootball.com since 2002. He has been associated with the AFL since 1999 and has worked as media relations director for both the AFL's Florida Bobcats (1999) and Carolina Cobras (2000-02). He also spent four years (2002-05) in the media relations department of the NFL's Cleveland Browns before moving to his current post as manager of communications for USA Football - a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping to grow and support the game of football at the youth level.

Thig Lyfe
09-22-2007, 03:21 PM
He needs to have the ball thrown to him on EVERY PLAY.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Along with Bowe and Gonzales!

jjchieffan
09-22-2007, 03:25 PM
125 catches, 53 touchdowns, 1739 yds. Those are some amazing numbers. I know the arena league is a different game, but still, wow. I really hope he makes the most of his opportunity. He has earned his spot on the roster, despite what gochiefs thinks.

Rasputin
09-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I would like to see us get into the > redzone < so Sippio, Bowe, Gonzo, and even Webb have a chance to catch TDs. I would like to see our (11year back up) QB throw to one of those guys in the endzone and not to a covered Sammie Parker. Just something I would like to see. Is that too much to ask for? TDs? I know Herm doesn't like TDs but the last time I checked fans do and fans pay his salary. Just because this is not the Arena league doesn't mean ye can't score allot of TDs and win games with TDs.
No? Scoring = Losing, oh I didn't get the memo.

gta0012
09-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Webb seems to be a great 2-3rd receiver. Bowe is def a #1 and a big RED ZONE threat! We got Gonzo who well duh is everything. Now throw sippio into the mix thats another RED ZONE threat and with his hands we could have a great chance of having a pass game.

Oh yea and parker and kennision can do stuff too.

The Bad Guy
09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Webb seems to be a great 2-3rd receiver. Bowe is def a #1 and a big RED ZONE threat! We got Gonzo who well duh is everything. Now throw sippio into the mix thats another RED ZONE threat and with his hands we could have a great chance of having a pass game.

Oh yea and parker and kennision can do stuff too.

Oh, the homerism.

Webb is a great 2?

It must be nice to see the sun shining every day.

Deberg_1990
09-22-2007, 04:38 PM
He needs to have the ball thrown to him on EVERY PLAY.

That wouldnt be fair to the fans if all we did was let young guys play.

Love, Carl

KCChiefsMan
09-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Question:
Who would win in a fight?
Sippio or God?

....trick question, Sippio is God

Line Judge
09-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Bobby Sippio will not play as a receiver unless somebody gets hurt. If Sippio plays and does well the Chiefs will not be able to get him back on the practice squad after Kennison comes back.

Easy 6
09-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Scippio will annihilate the pagan tribes.

SCIPPIO BITCHES!!!

KCTitus
09-22-2007, 05:58 PM
What would happen if Sippio and Bob Sanders collided on the football field?

Easy 6
09-22-2007, 06:02 PM
What would happen if Sippio and Bob Sanders collided on the football field?

The resultant explosion would rival...nay, surpass...the cosmically induced destruction of the Siberian Tunguska Event.

Kerberos
09-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Has Sippio replaced Scanlon as our DO IT ALL player?

He needs to step up and start playing better cause the Chiefs have dropped off tremendously since Scanlon was released to fight off communism is the baltics.

doomy3
09-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Question:
Who would win in a fight?
Sippio or God?

....trick question, Sippio is God

ROFL ROFL

KCTitus
09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Has Sippio replaced Scanlon as our DO IT ALL player?

He needs to step up and start playing better cause the Chiefs have dropped off tremendously since Scanlon was released to fight off communism is the baltics.

Those are some pretty big shoes to fill...I mean, what, Sippio would have to have, like at least, 10 special teams tackles before overtaking the legend that was Richard Scanlon.

gta0012
09-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Haha ROFL @ the trick question hahahaha!!!

And agreed KCTitus!!! "he contributed on special teams"

Aka he did nothing but run up the field.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Oh, the homerism.

Webb is a great 2?

It must be nice to see the sun shining every day.

I think Webb is a good #3, Sippio COULD be a nice #2 if he ever had the shot, and Bowe should be a pretty good #1. I think Bowe will be a way better #1 reciever than Kennison. A new #1 receiver could really help out Kennison too. Of course we already have Gonzales too!

blueballs
09-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Sippio gives Champ Bailey the runs
and that's just by watching him in the Arena league

Ugly Duck
09-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Sippio didn’t score any touchdowns or even catch a pass with the Chiefs base offense.

"Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the Oakland Raiders have released wide receiver Travis Taylor." - PFT

.... you guyz need some leftovers?

mikey23545
09-22-2007, 08:42 PM
"Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the Oakland Raiders have released wide receiver Travis Taylor." - PFT

There's a difference between leftovers and regurgitation....

And it's <b>guys</b> not <b>guyz</b>....Quit trying to act like an 18 year old homey.....

Tribal Warfare
09-22-2007, 08:48 PM

We already have William Buchanon

doomy3
09-22-2007, 08:52 PM

And it's <b>guys</b> not <b>guyz</b>....Quit trying to act like an 18 year old homey.....

Oh Snap!

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Jeff Webb isn't even a good 3......most any other team would have cut our entire receiving crew other than Bowe and Kennison.....or they'd be the very last receiver.

These guys are crap let's not start thinking they are good, the Chiefs backup WR's are god awful....we are one of if not the worst team at that position.

KCChiefsMan
09-22-2007, 09:03 PM

RustShack
09-22-2007, 09:03 PM
It would help if we had a good QB throwing the ball, or a QB throwing that ball at all for that matter.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:04 PM
We could have the most awesome QB on earth it doesn't change that our WR's are still ass...

Easy 6
09-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Jeff Webb isn't even a good 3......most any other team would have cut our entire receiving crew other than Bowe and Kennison.....or they'd be the very last receiver.

These guys are crap let's not start thinking they are good, the Chiefs backup WR's are god awful....we are one of if not the worst team at that position.

I just LOVE the matter of fact way that you & others like you declare that 'this guy/guys sucks'.

Could they be washouts??? absolutely.

But they could also be the next Chris Carter, who started out doing squat & then blossomed.

Guys like you are ridiculous with the absolutes, you have a guy pegged down before they even play 5 f@cking games.

doomy3
09-22-2007, 09:05 PM
We could have the most awesome QB on earth it doesn't change that our WR's are still ass...

Yep, we definitely should have drafted Dwayne Jarrett and Mike Williams, and then we would have it all together.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 09:07 PM

You don't know how good players are unless they get the ball. When Croyle was in and throwing the ball Webb didn't look to bad at all.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:07 PM
I'd take either of those guys over Samie Parker and Bobby Sippio......

Honestly if you think I'm wrong, what teams have worse WR's than the Chiefs do? At best the Chiefs are at about 30 of 32 teams...

Eleazar
09-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Bobby Sippio's tears cure cancer. It's too bad that he has never cried.

Eleazar
09-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Yep, we definitely should have drafted Dwayne Jarrett and Mike Williams, and then we would have it all together.

Well, in his defense, Mike Williams could probably play defensive tackle for us now.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 09:10 PM
We don't know what we have in Sippio and Webb because they haven't played much.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, in his defense, Mike Williams could probably play defensive tackle for us now.

That just made me crack up.....

I wouldn't have drafted Mike either and I'll fully admit that, he was a dominant college player but I never thought he was fast enough to be a stud NFL guy, unless he was going to play TE.

doomy3
09-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I'd take either of those guys over Samie Parker and Bobby Sippio......

Honestly if you think I'm wrong, what teams have worse WR's than the Chiefs do? At best the Chiefs are at about 30 of 32 teams...

There's a chance Chris Hannon gets on the field ahead of Dwayne Jarrett in Carolina.

I agree that our WRs aren't the best in the world, but even TG looks like trash in this offense with this QB. My opinion is if you change the QB, our receivers look a lot better. Not to mention, most teams are in trouble at that position when the number one goes down like Kennison did.

Look at the Giants. With Plax, they have a pretty good passing game and good receivers. Take him out, like he may be this week and he was at the end of last week, and they look pretty terrible.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 09:12 PM
That just made me crack up.....

I wouldn't have drafted Mike either and I'll fully admit that, he was a dominant college player but I never thought he was fast enough to be a stud NFL guy, unless he was going to play TE.

Just think, if the Lions would have drafted Derrick Johnson we most likely would have drafted Mike Williams.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:13 PM
The WR's were trash when Trent Green was here with Vermiel putting up 4000 yards, we still had shitty WR's when compared to other teams.

doomy3
09-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Just think, if the Lions would have drafted Derrick Johnson we most likely would have drafted Mike Williams.

And everyone would have been thrilled on draft day.

Then saying that was a horrible move years later when "everyone knew he was going to be a bust."

RustShack
09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
The WR's were trash when Trent Green was here with Vermiel putting up 4000 yards, we still had shitty WR's when compared to other teams.

We have a lot of diffrent receivers now, ones that have played slim to none that we can't really rule out until they get a shot.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:18 PM
I think Bowe can end up being a good receiver, I don't know about a star WR.

It's pretty sad how in the age of big time QB's, star WR's everywhere and teams putting up major stats and playing "arena ball" we lack a WR, a QB and play like it's 1965.

doomy3
09-22-2007, 09:18 PM

EK was not trash. I still think we have at least as good of receivers as the Chargers, and their offense seems to be OK.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:23 PM
The rest of the Chargers offense is better than ours now though....

They can get away with the 1 position.

doomy3
09-22-2007, 09:26 PM
The rest of the Chargers offense is better than ours now though....

They can get away with the 1 position.

Why is it OK for them to be able to get away with the one weak position. When Vermiel was here and we were putting up those numbers, it wasn't OK then. You were still bitching about our receivers.

In fact, our receivers are probably better today, when EK is healthy, than anytime when Vermiel was here.

But our line isn't even close, which is the biggest problem, followed closely by our QB play.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Because the Chargers used 2 first day draft picks on receivers?

Oh and they have a defense so they don't have to score 35 to win. That is a much different situation than what Vermiel was doing here, The Chargers are starting 2 young receivers.

doomy3
09-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Because the Chargers used 2 first day draft picks on receivers?

Oh and they have a defense so they don't have to score 35 to win. That is a much different situation than what Vermiel was doing here, The Chargers are starting 2 young receivers.

So are the Chiefs.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:32 PM
They are?

If you wanna count Bowe that's fine but when this season opened he was on the bench behind the ancient one Eddie Kennison and stone hands...

doomy3
09-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Bowe also missed most of training camp and wasn't ready to start.

Last year, the Patriots had Troy Brown as a starting #1 receiver, the Chargers Kenan McCardell, the Bears Mushin Muhammed, the Saints Joe Horn. Those were all playoff teams. Not exactly a fountain of youth, or a pro bowl group either.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Stone Hands Parker had a pretty good first game and a sure TD against the Bears that was picked.

doomy3
09-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Off the top of my head, I would say all of these teams have around equal to or worse receivers than us:

Titans
Jaguars
Ravens
Chargers
Eagles
Falcons
Bears
49ers

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Bowe also missed most of training camp and wasn't ready to start.

Last year, the Patriots had Troy Brown as a starting #1 receiver, the Chargers Kenan McCardell, the Bears Mushin Muhammed, the Saints Joe Horn. Those were all playoff teams. Not exactly a fountain of youth, or a pro bowl group either.

I love these examples as the Pats basically admitted their WR's sucked by getting all new guys....Joe Horn was hurt and basically didn't play, Colston and Henderson were the Saints WR's.

doomy3
09-22-2007, 09:44 PM
I love these examples as the Pats basically admitted their WR's sucked by getting all new guys....Joe Horn was hurt and basically didn't play, Colston and Henderson were the Saints WR's.

Henderson is terrible. He is equal to Sammie Parker in the hands department. And they got lucky with Colston in the 7th round. And drafted Meachum this year who hasn't even played. So far, we are easily getting the 2nd most production out of any receiver drafted this year behind Calvin Johnson.

Easy 6
09-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Off the top of my head, I would say all of these teams have around equal to or worse receivers than us:

Titans
Jaguars
Ravens
Chargers
Eagles
Falcons
Bears
49ers

Its so nice to see a good crop of n00bs stand up to the bitter Old Gaurd.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Ok.....where did I argue that?

Just as a whole this receiving group is pretty bad and several of these guys would be cut if they had gone to camp with other teams.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Henderson is terrible. He is equal to Sammie Parker in the hands department. And they got lucky with Colston in the 7th round. And drafted Meachum this year who hasn't even played. So far, we are easily getting the 2nd most production out of any receiver drafted this year behind Calvin Johnson.

HEY! Do you know how they found out Colsten was good and a steal? HE GOT TO PLAY! People are ruling out Webb and Sippio when they havn't really played. There would be slim to none WR's in the NFL if no one was able to play without having a chance to play first, if that makes any sense.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 10:52 PM
This was my first semi-sucessfull thread! :)

Easy 6
09-22-2007, 11:13 PM
This was my first semi-sucessfull thread! :)

And that post has doomed it to a hasty death... :)

RustShack
09-22-2007, 11:15 PM
And this post has just doomed it to a hasty death... :)

It was good while it lasted! People usually just ignore me when I talk... Didn't expect more than 1 page of comments :)

Easy 6
09-22-2007, 11:18 PM
It was good while it lasted! People usually just ignore me when I talk... Didn't expect more than 1 page of comments :)

Pretty much all n00b threads are ignored at first.

Hang in there.

PBJ