PDA

View Full Version : What should this offense stop doing, continue doing or try to do?

Kylo Ren
09-23-2007, 09:25 PM
For example.......

Stop:
1. throwing swing passes until Huard can pull his head out

Contine:
1. throwing downfield to Bowe and Gonzo

Try doing:
1. throw on 1st down more often

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm not a professional, but it seems pretty obvious to me that throwing on first down is a good idea. Other teams are completely selling out against the run.

We pass block better than we run block, and it's exacerbated by opponents swarming the line of scrimmage on 1st down. The second half of this game proved that we can pass the ball, so let's do it enough on 1st down that other teams have to start thinking about it.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Use a gameplan that is actually suited to beat the team they are playing?

They should have been spreading the field and throwing down field from the first snap against Minnesota....

ChiefsCountry
09-23-2007, 09:44 PM
They should have been spreading the field and throwing down field from the first snap against Minnesota....

How in the heck are you suppose to do that with Damon Huard?

Cjanz
09-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Well here's a crazy thought, but I think we should try PUTTING CROYLE IN.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 09:45 PM

Well that is a good point, but it's better than running for -2 yards every first down.

ChiefsCountry
09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Well here's a crazy thought, but I think we should try PUTTING CROYLE IN.

:clap:

FloridaMan88
09-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Basically go back to the Al Saunders/Dick Vermeil style of offense. Go back to an aggressive approach that tries to score on every possession, takes shots downfield early and often and utilizes a diversified attack.

Cjanz
09-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Basically go back to the Al Saunders/Dick Vermeil style of offense. Go back to an aggressive approach that tries to score on every possession, takes shots downfield early and often and utilizes a diversified attack.

Sounds reasonable, because we have the defense that wasn't there with Vermeil, and including his offense would be a great combo.

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 09:53 PM
A summary of our 1st down plays today. I count 19 runs and 5 passes.

1st Quarter

1st drive
1-10-KC 7 (14:55) 11-D.Huard pass incomplete middle to 88-T.Gonzalez.

2nd drive
1-10-KC 20 (10:02) 11-D.Huard pass short right to 84-K.Wilson to KC 23 for 3 yards (52-C.Greenway).

3rd drive
1-10-KC 20 (7:14) 27-L.Johnson left end to KC 16 for -4 yards (94-P.Williams).

4th drive
1-10-KC 8 (1:19) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to KC 17 for 9 yards (51-B.Leber).

1-10-KC 20 (15:00) 27-L.Johnson left tackle to KC 25 for 5 yards (51-B.Leber).

1-10-KC 33 (13:44) 26-M.Bennett right end to KC 31 for -2 yards (26-A.Winfield).

1-10-KC 43 (12:14) 85-E.Drummond right end to KC 40 for -3 yards (56-E.Henderson).

5th drive
1-10-KC 43 (9:11) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to KC 44 for 1 yard (95-K.Udeze).

6th drive
1-10-MIN 28 (6:12) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to MIN 29 for -1 yards (51-B.Leber).

1-10-MIN 15 (4:53) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to MIN 20 for -5 yards (95-K.Udeze). PENALTY on KC-27-L.Johnson, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced between downs.

1-10-KC 8 (9:19) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to KC 5 for -3 yards (51-B.Leber).

1-10-KC 22 (8:05) 27-L.Johnson left tackle to KC 20 for -2 yards (97-S.Johnson).

1-10-KC 35 (6:45) 27-L.Johnson right end to KC 34 for -1 yards (51-B.Leber).

1-10- (5:24) 11-D.Huard pass incomplete to 27-L.Johnson.

1-10-MIN 33 (3:51) 27-L.Johnson right tackle to MIN 31 for 2 yards (95-K.Udeze).

8th drive
1-10-KC 16 (:10) 11-D.Huard pass short left to 82-D.Bowe to KC 31 for 15 yards (23-C.Griffin).

1-10-KC 31 (15:00) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to KC 33 for 2 yards (52-C.Greenway).

1-10-MIN 48 (13:15) 11-D.Huard pass incomplete deep middle to 82-D.Bowe.

1-10-MIN 31 (12:24) 27-L.Johnson right tackle pushed ob at MIN 3 for 28 yards (23-C.Griffin, 95-K.Udeze). PENALTY on KC-80-J.Webb, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at MIN 21.

1-10-MIN 31 (12:09) 26-M.Bennett right tackle to MIN 30 for 1 yard (98-D.Scott).

1-10-MIN 17 (10:06) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to MIN 16 for 1 yard (95-K.Udeze).

1-10-KC 14 (7:02) 27-L.Johnson left tackle to KC 16 for 2 yards (91-R.Edwards).

9th drive
1-10-KC 43 (4:39) 26-M.Bennett left end to KC 44 for 1 yard (24-D.Smith, 91-R.Edwards).

10th drive
1-10-KC 40 (2:03) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to KC 43 for 3 yards (95-K.Udeze).

unothadeal
09-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Have we audibled once this year?

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 09:55 PM

Huard can complete passes. He had a good completion percentage last year, and he went 20 of 29 today. It doesn't have to be an aerial circus - just keep feeding the ball to big horses like Tony G and Bowe 5 to 10 yards downfield and eventually we won't have 8 guys keying on LJ every first down.

Bowser
09-23-2007, 09:56 PM

Yes, but they were all audibles from off tackle to up the gut.

FloridaMan88
09-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Sounds reasonable, because we have the defense that wasn't there with Vermeil, and including his offense would be a great combo.

Correct. There is no reason why an aggressive offense and a sound defense can't co-exist (see the New England Patriots)

Mecca
09-23-2007, 09:58 PM
There's a reason the Pats are going for an undefeated year and yet another ring and we sit in mediocrity...

CoMoChief
09-23-2007, 09:58 PM
No because that involves shifting etc, and Herm doesn't want to have any part of that going on, on his offense.

pikesome
09-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Quit throwing to G** D*** Kris Wilson, I swear every time I saw a WTF?! pass it was to Bigfoot.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-23-2007, 10:00 PM
We should be running 3 WR, 1 TE sets until teams stop stacking the box. Keep Larry or Bennet in to chip and then release, and throw the goddamned football down the motherf*ckin' field.

Kylo Ren
09-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Have we audibled once this year?A friend of mine and I were talking about this after the game. I don't think they give Huard the ability to audible. Early in the 2nd half the offense was backed up to our own 8 yard line. It was first down and the defense had 9 men in the box. We ran LJ up the middle. Huard needs to have the ability to audible out of the running play and to a pass play to Gonzo or Bowe.

Logical
09-23-2007, 10:02 PM
There's a reason the Pats are going for an undefeated year and yet another ring and we sit in mediocrity...

Wow you want to explain the simplicity of their accomplishment?

Demonpenz
09-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I think we need to keep establishing the run like we did today and limit our throws to not turn the ball over. We do have to take a chance with playaction a couple times a game.

Kylo Ren
09-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Quit throwing to G** D*** Kris Wilson, I swear every time I saw a WTF?! pass it was to Bigfoot. Throwing Kris Wilson isn't the problem. The type of pass and the situation is the problem. When you run on 1st down, run on 2nd down and then pass on 3rd and 13 to Kris Wilson, it doesn't work well. Also, Huard can't throw a good swing pass or fade (excluding the one to Bowe). They've been throwing fades and and swing passes to Kris Wilson. Huard's crappy passes are putting Wilson in a situation where he can alomst never succeed.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow you want to explain the simplicity of their accomplishment?

All about management and coaching, there's a reason they continue to sign and draft players and they look like perfect fits.

chiefsfan1963
09-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Solari needs to be fired he's why out of his league.

pikesome
09-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Throwing Kris Wilson isn't the problem. The type of pass and the situation is the problem. When you run on 1st down, run on 2nd down and then pass on 3rd and 13 to Kris Wilson, it doesn't work well. Also, Huard can't throw a good swing pass or fade (excluding the one to Bowe). They've been throwing fades and and swing passes to Kris Wilson. Huard's crappy passes are putting Wilson in a situation where he can alomst never succeed.

I'll agree, it's only the end result of other, shittier, things that puts the ball near Wilson's hands.

PastorMikH
09-23-2007, 10:19 PM
#1 If I NEVER see another reverse it will be too soon. It's been what, 3 seasons since we got a positive gain from one?

The biggest problem I see with the O is playcalling. It's too predictable. We either run or pass, there's no balance. Sure at the end of the day it looks like balance, but there isn't balance on any given series.

IMO 2nd and short is an opportunity to go long, NOT 2 chances for an easy first down.

If the designed play on any 3rd down play is planned to be short of the first down mark, then let the ball carrier make up the difference, we might as well catch them off guard and have the QB punt on 3rd down. This has been a problem for 15+ years.

The QB has got to be given more opportunity to audible. When Huard sees 8-9 guys in the box, he really needs to be able to audible into something that will take advantage of the D.

When we get into the redzone, we need to think TD, not FG.

I'm sure there will be more I think of later

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 10:50 PM
The biggest problem I see with the O is playcalling. It's too predictable. We either run or pass, there's no balance. Sure at the end of the day it looks like balance, but there isn't balance on any given series.

In all fairness, we do punt on 25 percent of our offensive plays.

Psyko Tek
09-23-2007, 11:05 PM
#1 If I NEVER see another reverse it will be too soon. It's been what, 3 seasons since we got a positive gain from one?

gotta agree with that
If I never see a wide reciever get a hand off it will be to soon

PastorMikH
09-23-2007, 11:21 PM
In all fairness, we do punt on 25 percent of our offensive plays.

Our punter has more yardage than our Offensive totals right now. Colquitt has punted 821 yards, our O has only racked up 751 yards total.

Anyone remember the days when our Punter saw the field about once a game? I miss those days.

Kylo Ren
09-24-2007, 10:33 AM
How much will the return of Kennison help this offense? I heard that he might return for the San Diego game. Did anyone else hear that?

Deberg_1990
09-24-2007, 10:40 AM

Smart coaches who know how to gameplan, and prepare a team to play an opponent week after week.

A go for the throat mentality when you have a team down?

Smart personel decisons (occasionally taking a gamble on "troubled players") Corey Dillon, Moss...

PastorMikH
09-24-2007, 10:44 AM
How much will the return of Kennison help this offense? I heard that he might return for the San Diego game. Did anyone else hear that?

Probably depends most on how the Hammy is doing. Sure seems like when someone pulls the hammy, it bothers them for the rest of the season.

Chiefnj2
09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Stop: Rushing the ball on first down when facing 8-9 men in the box.

Stop: Utilizing the 1-2 yard pass to Wilson as the first option. Especially against teams with speedy LB's.

Do: Stretch the field.

Do: Start Croyle.

Do: Throw to Bowe prior to the 9th minute of the 3rd quarter. The first drive would be nice.

Do: Lock Dick Curl in a locker prior to the game and do not let him out until next Christmas.

Kylo Ren
09-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Probably depends most on how the Hammy is doing. Sure seems like when someone pulls the hammy, it bothers them for the rest of the season. I hope you're wrong about that. We need Kennison at 100%.

FAX
09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
I think that the one, single thing our Deja Vu O could do to improve is to stop being so completely predictable, Mr. Gunther_Fan.

Our game plan hasn't changed one iota since the playoffs last year. We are the very definition of insanity. I envision defensive coordinators laughing their asses off when asked to prepare for the Chiefs.

FAX

PastorMikH
09-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I hope you're wrong about that. We need Kennison at 100%.

I hope I am too. Depends on how bad he pulled it. But at WR were you go from stopped to all out in a step or two and his age, I am more than a little concerned.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Our line does a pretty good job of pass blocking, and we really don't know how good they are blocking in space, because we never try it anymore.

We need to run out of the spread. I don't know how many times I've said it over the last 14 months, but it *has* to be done.

There is no excuse to run out of the double tight when you are facing 9 in the box and your center gets eviscerated at the point of attack.

Keep using Bowe at the Z, and rotate Parker and Webb at X.

Stop keeping Tony in to block, let either Bennett or LJ stay in to chip, and *then* act as a safety valve.

I love running the ball, but it makes absolutely no sense when you are facing the kind of matchups that we have and utilizing the style that we are.

Herm just flat out doesn't understand football. I don't care if "I was a player. I played in this league" or not...the guy knows nothing about football strategy.

I guarantee there are 10 posters on this board who could come in and call a better offensive game for the Chiefs than could Herm.

bobbything
09-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Our line does a pretty good job of pass blocking, and we really don't know how good they are blocking in space, because we never try it anymore.

We need to run out of the spread. I don't know how many times I've said it over the last 14 months, but it *has* to be done.

There is no excuse to run out of the double tight when you are facing 9 in the box and your center gets eviscerated at the point of attack.

Keep using Bowe at the Z, and rotate Parker and Webb at X.

Stop keeping Tony in to block, let either Bennett or LJ stay in to chip, and *then* act as a safety valve.

I love running the ball, but it makes absolutely no sense when you are facing the kind of matchups that we have and utilizing the style that we are.

Herm just flat out doesn't understand football. I don't care if "I was a player. I played in this league" or not...the guy knows nothing about football strategy.

I guarantee there are 10 posters on this board who could come in and call a better offensive game for the Chiefs than could Herm.
Amen.

For the last two seasons, our linemen don't get out in space anymore. This was automatic from 02-05. Now, it's completely gone. No more stretch plays. Maybe 1 screen pass per game. Weigmann rarely ever pulls anymore.

When you see 9 men on the line, stop running up the middle. I understand the theory behind doing so; if one hole can be created, then Johnson has a big gain. However, that's simply not working. 7 guys trying to block 9 is very difficult. When you see a 9 man front, audible, shift, and take a chunk out of the middle of the field.

Micjones
09-24-2007, 12:57 PM
They've finally found their offensive identity.
#88/#82/#18/#27.

We need to continue to throw the ball on first down, continue mixing it up and be persistent in the running game.

KCChiefsMan
09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Here is a take from Jon Gruden that I found interesting:

Buccaneers | C. Williams to remain starting running back
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:18:47 -0700

Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden said Monday, Sept. 24, that RB Cadillac Williams will remain the team's starting running back. "Carnell (Williams) is our feature back. We will try to do much better than we have done against Carolina in the past running the ball. If we don't run the ball any better we are not going to the run the ball at all, we might have to throw it a lot. To answer your question Cadillac will be the starting tailback. We will do everything we can to incorporate Earnest (Graham) and (Michael) Pittman as well," Gruden said.

so if something doesn't work over and over again, you stop doing it and switch to something different? huh

Rausch
09-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Pound the rock, use play action, go deep with guys like Webb and Bowe.

DON'T forget that Gonzo can catch too.

Continue to pay Colquit. He'll make the probowl...

JuicesFlowing
09-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Eeeeeasy there. Let's no get crazy and try to score more points, that's just going to make us a crazy Arena Football team! We need to keep it in the teens ... Right Herm?

JuicesFlowing
09-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately in order for Croyle to start, Huard is going to have to stink up the place, which ultimately means another string of losses. It's too bad, because I'm all for seeing what Croyle can do by stretching the field.

kregger
09-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Stop continually going to the checkdown. I swear the coaching staff has Huard so afraid of making a turnover, he won't throw more than 5 yards. To his or their credit, it finally opened up in the 2nd half.
Stop that long sideline pattern. Huard has no touch to throw that ball and missed WIDE open Jeff Webb on their second attempt.
Do keep feeding the ball to Micheal Bennett. He offers just enough of a different style to keep defenses honest.

Mr. Plow
09-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Quit throwing to G** D*** Kris Wilson, I swear every time I saw a WTF?! pass it was to Bigfoot.

Thank you very much. Why is Kris Wilson a vital part of our passing game? In the flat, across the middle, hell, even going deep Huard is passing to Wilson.

It pisses me off every time I see a pass going his direction.