PDA

View Full Version : A proposed NFL rules change

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 10:56 PM
You know what I hate?

I hate that any time there's a long kick return, the first reaction of every knowledgeable fan is to look for a penalty flag. I think it taints the excitement of one of the game's most exciting plays.

So I propose this:

On kickoffs and punts, the kicking team gets to add a 12th man. In return, there will be no more penalties called for blocking in the back (above the waist - below the waist will still count) or for holding. All other penalties will be called as normal.

What say ye? Poll forthcoming, unless it gets called back for a block in the back.

KurtCobain
09-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Solid idea.

Hootie
09-23-2007, 11:07 PM
a block in the back is a penalty because it is dangerous...

KurtCobain
09-23-2007, 11:08 PM
a block in the back is a penalty because it is dangerous...

So?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-23-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm just thinking how easy it would be for teams to score with holding completely legalized.

Probably 25% of all kicks would go to the house if this happened.

Hootie
I'm just thinking how easy it would be for teams to score with holding completely legalized.

Probably 25% of all kicks would go to the house if this happened.
That's a bit extreme...

runnercyclist
NEver happen.

The Zebs need to use better judgement in airing their laundry. It should be blatant and effect the outcome of the play, otherwise don't throw the flag.

L.A. Chieffan
09-23-2007, 11:12 PM
What do think this is? The Arena League?

mcan
09-23-2007, 11:43 PM
25% is probably conservative. You put your ten best tacklers on the field and your fastest guy. Fastest guy gets the ball. Everybody else (except one guy and the kicker) gets tackled. Touchdown every time.

Discuss Thrower
09-24-2007, 12:15 AM
No, I think a system that is something like a "delayed" call is in order. Individual official spots a foul, throws a flag to mark infraction. If it's decided that the foul had no bearing on the outcome of the play in question, flag is pocketed. If it has an effect, penalty stands.

mcan
09-24-2007, 01:04 AM
How about players just not hit people in the back? Holding happens a lot and subsequently a lot of holding gets called and still a ton more goes unnoticed or unpenalized. But just one good block in the back can completely spring a return man. They're going to call it every time they see it, regardless of where it happens.

StcChief
09-24-2007, 05:23 AM
Block in the back is dangerous to player.

Braincase
09-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Why not allow the ball carrier to use a single-shot derringer? Small calibre, of course. Certainly change the definition of "Taking one for the team."

penguinz
09-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Why not just make it so that if the flag is on a player that has no effect on the play then it is ignored.

cadmonkey
09-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Why not just make it so that if the flag is on a player that has no effect on the play then it is ignored.

I like that idea. Call the hold if you see it happen, but get together and talk about weather or not it should stand. There are to many calls that happen 30 yards from the play.

jjchieffan
09-24-2007, 07:18 AM
why is it that nobody was suggesting this last week after Hesters second return was called back?

Valiant
09-24-2007, 08:41 AM
You know what I hate?

I hate that any time there's a long kick return, the first reaction of every knowledgeable fan is to look for a penalty flag. I think it taints the excitement of one of the game's most exciting plays.

So I propose this:

On kickoffs and punts, the kicking team gets to add a 12th man. In return, there will be no more penalties called for blocking in the back (above the waist - below the waist will still count) or for holding. All other penalties will be called as normal.

What say ye? Poll forthcoming, unless it gets called back for a block in the back.

Are you serious??? There would be so many cheapshots and holds it would be ridiculous.. That and all the injuries from behind the back blocks..

bad idea..