PDA

View Full Version : Spiked Ball = Delay of Game?

petegz28
09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
What a stupid, ****ing bullshit rule!

Are the Refs that ****ing lazy?

Molitoth
09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
If it wasn't a penalty everyone would be spiking the ball pissed off every play.

carlos3652
09-24-2007, 08:59 AM
better than Unsportsman like conduct... id rather get the lesser penalty for that...

carlos3652
09-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Broncos TE got called for that at the end of the game vs Jax... (on the 4th down pass that he dropped)

petegz28
09-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Players have been slamming the ball into the ground out of anger or whatever since football started. To call it a delay of game os bullshit. If you spike it at a player ok that is Unsportsman like. But to just slam the ball into the ground out of frustration and call it a penalty is beyond uber bullshit.

percysnow
09-24-2007, 09:03 AM
i think its a good rule. . u have these guys that catch a 10 yd 1st down pass and they are celebrating like they just scored a TD ..

BigRedChief
09-24-2007, 09:07 AM
The announcers said that the NFL told the players in the pre-season that if they spike the ball this year on the field that they will get a penalty. I'm assuming that after a TD is the exception.

petegz28
09-24-2007, 09:10 AM
I understadn the rule. It's just bullshit is all. If an offensive player wants to spike the ball and cost his team some time on the play clock then that is the offenses problem.

Reerun_KC
09-24-2007, 09:23 AM
I understadn the rule. It's just bullshit is all. If an offensive player wants to spike the ball and cost his team some time on the play clock then that is the offenses problem.

Yeah cause we dont want the players to act like grown ups now do we???

I think it is a good rule... Spiking the ball when you **** up is bush league and cry baby...

Man up this is real football, not arena league bs....

petegz28
09-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Yeah cause we dont want the players to act like grown ups now do we???

I think it is a good rule... Spiking the ball when you **** up is bush league and cry baby...

Man up this is real football, not arena league bs....

Dude this is football. If you want to act like an adult go to the ****ing library or go watch Golf.

Reerun_KC
09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Dude this is football. If you want to act like an adult go to the ****ing library or go watch Golf.

ROFL

Herms and Dicky Curls offense is about as exciting as the library or golf...

Deberg_1990
09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
What a stupid, ****ing bullshit rule!

Are the Refs that ****ing lazy?

It may be a dumb rule but rules are rules and every team has to live by them. The players know the rule.

petegz28
09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
It may be a dumb rule but rules are rules and every team has to live by them. The players know the rule.

Oh what a suck up!!! :p

Brock
09-24-2007, 09:53 AM
There is no reason to spike the ball, quit whining.

petegz28
09-24-2007, 09:54 AM
There is no reason to spike the ball, quit whining.

There is no reason to start calling it now after decades of not calling it.

Why call it now? It's BS.

Go play tennis.

StcChief
09-24-2007, 09:57 AM
i think its a good rule. . u have these guys that catch a 10 yd 1st down pass and they are celebrating like they just scored a TD ..

yeah Sammie Parker was one of those.. I'll spin the ball. Just toss it to the ref and move on back to huddle.

DaFace
09-24-2007, 10:00 AM
I think it's kind of a dumb rule, but I understand why they put it in. Hopefully it won't be called as much once players get it through their heads that they can't spike the ball on every play. Right now, it's new, so they probably forget a lot.

allen_kcCard
09-24-2007, 10:03 AM

How does it cost them play clock? They spike the ball and then turn around and go back to the huddle while there is a ball bouncing all over the field. If the refs or someone has to run 20 yards to get the ball some baby tossed there because he didn't get a cookie it DELAYS the game, thus, a delay of game penalty.

I think it would be a better rule that if they spike the ball durning play (not in the endzone for a TD) they throw the flag and the player that spiked the ball can either go pick up said ball and hand it to the ref like a grownup, or he can sit in the corner and think about why his team just got a delay of game penalty.

It may be a dumb rule, but it is the result of dumb people....which is the case of many rules and laws, you have to put them there to stop those people even though the majority don't really need to be controlled by it.

cadmonkey
09-24-2007, 10:14 AM

The play clock doesn't start until the ball is marked right? So this actually wouldn't hurt the offense because by spiking the ball, the ref has to go and get the ball, thus giving the offense more time.

TODD
09-24-2007, 10:16 AM
I think with marty ball the rules for the team was to hand the ball to the "ref"...good idea.

|Zach|
09-24-2007, 10:19 AM
I have no problem with the rule...Dante Hall was terrible about this kind of thing last year it was annoying as hell.

morphius
09-24-2007, 10:28 AM
While excessive spiking is annoying, watching a team playing without a lot of passion and emotion is worse. With this being a game of passion I'll take a little too much passion from my team over not enough.

Heck, we should be able to spike the ball if we get a first down in the first half, it happens so rarely that it would barely be noticed.

morphius
09-24-2007, 10:29 AM
The play clock doesn't start until the ball is marked right? So this actually wouldn't hurt the offense because by spiking the ball, the ref has to go and get the ball, thus giving the offense more time.
unless the ref just gets one of the other game balls from the guy standing on the side line holding them.

|Zach|
09-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I think people are taking the delay of game part too close to heart. They wanted to make it a rule but didn't want to go overboard with it being a personal foul or something like that...tried to sneak it in best with a current rule.

Passing Time
09-24-2007, 06:49 PM
If it wasn't a penalty everyone would be spiking the ball pissed off every play.

Sorry but I'm not feeling it. What's next, you can't high five a teammate when you score a TD!