PDA

View Full Version : Allen almost benched?

carlos3652
09-24-2007, 03:14 PM
sorry if repost

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season=2007&week=REG3&game_id=29230

It was over when ...
Kansas City took its first lead of the game on Dwayne Bowe's 16-yard touchdown reception with just over nine minutes remaining. The touchdown capped a 10-point comeback for the Chiefs.

Dewayne Bowe's 16-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter gave the Chiefs the win.

Game balls
Adrian Peterson rushed for 102 yards and a touchdown, but did most of his damage in the first half. Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen returned from a suspension to lead the team with eight tackles, a pair of sacks and a forced fumble. Allen was key in K.C.'s second-half adjustment that helped bottle up Peterson by keeping him from turning the corner and getting outside. Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham considered benching Allen in the second half, but was rewarded for his faith.

Silock
09-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Pretty sure this is a repost, but I go with the theory that it was because he wasn't sure how fit JA would be and not because he wasn't performing or pissed someone off.

Bwana
WTF?

Lzen
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season=2007&week=REG3&game_id=29230
Allen was key in K.C.'s second-half adjustmentthat helped bottle up Peterson by keeping him from turning the corner and getting outside. Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham considered benching Allen in the second half, but was rewarded for his faith.

2nd half adjustments? But.....but.....how can that be? Several people in the game thread told me that the Chiefs can't make 2nd half adjustments.

boogblaster
09-24-2007, 03:24 PM
GO JA GO you mean bastard ...

MTG#10
09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
That same article says Bowe only had one reception coming into the game - he had 5. I think its safe to say whoever wrote it doesnt know what they are talking about.

chasedude
09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
He looked good out on the field. Why pull him out? Sounds like this writer is trying to shake up something.

JA got us two Sacks, compared to the "big goose egg" from the two games before!

cdcox
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
2nd half adjustments? But.....but.....how can that be? Several people in the game thread told me that the Chiefs can't make 2nd half adjustments.

Geez, give it a rest already. From the game thread:

Maybe it's an over reaction on my part, but I have zero confidence that this coaching staff can do anything right. They are the laughing stock of the NFL.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4237528&postcount=202

Extra Point
09-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Too bad they didn't televise recordings of the locker room "discussions" at half-time.

ZootedGranny
09-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham considered benching Allen in the second half, but was rewarded for his faith.

It's more likely that Gunther stood over Jared with a bowie knife and promised to behead him unless Peterson got shut down.

morphius
09-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I remember watching Jared in the first half and he wasn't getting any pressure on the pass, he must have just wore the guy down with his energy.

Captain Obvious
09-24-2007, 05:24 PM
I remember watching Jared in the first half and he wasn't getting any pressure on the pass, he must have just wore the guy down with his energy.

My buddy and I made the same observation. I have seats near the tunnel and McKinney was looking like he was sucking some serious wind at halftime.

ChiefsCountry
09-24-2007, 05:27 PM
McKinnie is a big motha and it was hot yesterday. Heck JA was pretty wore out after the game, his postgame interview he was pretty winded.

BigRock
09-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Considering the other mistaken info in the article, the guy probably got Allen confused with the story about Huard possibly getting benched.

RINGLEADER
09-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Ever since Gunther whined about the Bears running WR screens in his coaching debut like they were breaking the rules or something I've never really cared much about what his opinions are. The fact that he was considering sitting one of the best players on the team is just further evidence of the fact that he doesn't have a clue.

FAX
09-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Now that I think of it, I remember Mitch or someone on the radio saying that JA was getting blown off the ball in the first half. If I recall correctly, there was a play where JA was in on a tackle downfield and someone (Gretz?) said the reason he was so far downfield is that the Tackle had pushed him there.

Maybe he had a bad first half and Clueless Joe wanted his attention?

FAX