PDA

View Full Version : Building a Super Bowl winner

cdcox
09-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Based on the ratings you gave in the polls I posted yesterday, here are the defensive position ratings:

Class 1 (Star on a SB team, likely HOF): Allen
Class 2 (Solid starter, no need to replace): Hali, D. Edwards, Harris, DJ, Surtain, Law
Class 3 (could win a SB despite the indadequacies of this player): Boone, R. Edwards, Pollard, Page

So on defense, RIGHT NOW we need immediate improvement at four positions, either by bringing in new players or by developing people on the roster.

Here are the consensus offensive position ratings:

Class 1: LJ, Gozno, Waters
Class 2: Kennsion, Bowe
Class 3: McIntosh, Weigmann, Welbourn, Turley, Wilson/Parker/Dunn
Class 4: Huard

So we need to immediately replace four offensive line positions, the utility offensive player, and QB in order to contend for a Super Bowl.

Replacing all of these players, and developing a QB will take a couple years. By then we’ll also need to replace defenders Law, Edwards, and Kennsion. Also Gonzo, Surtain, Waters, and possibly LJ will be losing productivity or retired. So we really can’t count on any of these players to be on our Super Bowl team.

The core to build on, over a 3 to 4 year period:

Allen, Hali, DJ, Harris plus maybe Pollard and Page and Turk and Tyler

Bowe, maybe Waters, LJ and Croyle.

So that is between 10 and 17 starters. Call it 13, But lets say we can have a total of four class 3 players on the starting roster. That drops the need to 9. If we do this over 3 years, that is 3 new Class 2 players per year. That seems like a tall order. Someone convince me that this really isn’t such a tall order.

Rain Man
09-24-2007, 07:41 PM
I was kind of hoping that you could offer a fix for this season. Can you run the numbers again?

cdcox
09-24-2007, 07:44 PM
I was kind of hoping that you could offer a fix for this season.

In week 7, Indy, NE, and Pittsburgh are all on the road. If there is a 3-plane mid-air collision, we have a chance.

FAX
09-24-2007, 07:51 PM
... Someone convince me that this really isn’t such a tall order.

Cloning. We need to start cloning players now and feeding the little clone babies really well so they'll grow up fast, Mr. cdcox. Maybe get some of those big, glass balls with water and tubes and bubbles in them and put the little clone babies in those. And pinch their little clone baby peckers every few hours so they'll grow up mad.

FAX

OctoberFart
09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Allen and HOF? No homerism there.

SB winners 90% of the time have one thing in common .....GREAT QB.

teedubya
09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
And pinch their little clone baby peckers every few hours so they'll grow up mad.

FAX

I nominate Mr. Wendler.

jidar
09-24-2007, 08:47 PM
and of course you already know what this means but you're trying not to lead the horse to water...

Peoples seeming expectations of having a superstar caliber player at 3/4 positions are completely unrealistic and not at all representative of what a typical superbowl team looks like.

Truth is, Superbowl teams are full of mediocre players, they just have a bunch of good ones and a few great ones as well, typically.

cdcox
09-24-2007, 08:55 PM
and of course you already know what this means but you're trying not to lead the horse to water...

Peoples seeming expectations of having a superstar caliber player at 3/4 positions are completely unrealistic and not at all representative of what a typical superbowl team looks like.

Truth is, Superbowl teams are full of mediocre players, they just have a bunch of good ones and a few great ones as well, typically.

I disagree. They have mostly good players with a few mediocre and a few great ones. The mediocre ones kill you because they get owned against good/great players in the playoffs. Teams that have more mediocre players will tend to have more great players to cancel them out. If you run down the starting rosters of recent SB winners, you won't find many Welborn, Hicks, R. Edwards, Warfileds, etc.