PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs D moves up to #4 in the NFL

KCJohnny
09-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Kansas City’s resurgent defense currently ranks fourth in the league, allowing just 268.7 yards per game. The Chiefs are tied for fifth in the NFL, allowing an average of just 12.0 offensive ppg. In fact, Kansas City’s defense has allowed just three second-half points the past two weeks and hasn’t permitted a second-half TD in the season’s first three games.

Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards will be seeking his 50th regular season victory in Sunday’s contest. A nemesis to the Chargers in recent years, Edwards owns a 4-2 career record against San Diego. That coaching ledger includes an upset victory in the 2004 AFC Playoffs when Edwards’ N.Y. Jets squad registered a 20-17 OT win at Qualcomm Stadium (1/8/05). The Chiefs and Chargers split their two regular season meetings a year ago with Kansas City handing San Diego one of its two regular season losses as the Chiefs claimed a 30-27 victory at Arrowhead (10/22/06).

link (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09/24/chiefs_vs_chargers__game_407a/)

BigVE
09-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Nice. What's the offense ranked?

Reerun_KC
09-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Such a total reverse of 2003....

so good to have a defense agian...

So good to have an offense that Olathe North could force 3 and outs all night long....

My how the tide has changed... We still are a laughing stock and should be a shamed of how our teams fortunes has turned...

Easy 6
09-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Make no mistake, that is something to be proud of...Herm & Gun are doing a bang up job with those guys.

But if this O cant be brought to atleast middlin', it will all be for naught.

I want to like Herm, but he's making it damn near impossible...a run oriented attack is fine by me, but there HAS to be some imagination used.

This week was my breaking point, i thought Herm was supposed to have learned his lesson about pounding LJ into brick walls.

Cowher/Whisenhunt were smashmouth to the core, but they werent morons about it either.

You CANT protect your D with consecutive 3 & outs.

Fix it Herm.

KCJohnny
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Nice. What's the offense ranked?

Awwww, quit your moaning.
Ours is ranked 29th.
San Diego's is ranked 27th.
Its only week 4.
Defense wins championships.

BigVE
09-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Awwww, quit your moaning.
Ours is ranked 29th.
San Diego's is ranked 27th.
Its only week 4.
Defense wins championships.

Moaning? That was a question. Your offering stats so I was wondering what the offense is actually ranked. I KNOW we will be better. We have played some tough defenses but we will come around.

Smed1065
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
I always thought winning teams won?

:banghead:

KCJohnny
09-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Moaning? That was a question. Your offering stats so I was wondering what the offense is actually ranked. I KNOW we will be better. We have played some tough defenses but we will come around.

THAT's the spirit old boy.
:clap:

SD is yielding 250 YPG against the pass. I say air it out - we now know we have the weapons.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 09:33 PM
It's nice to see them ranked well even with the bad offensive opponents, in past years even those teams would have owned us...

I still want to see what happens against a good offensive team.

kcxiv
09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
It's nice to see them ranked well even with the bad offensive opponents, in past years even those teams would have owned us...

We get a chance on Sunday.

I agree though. Past years them shitty teams would have put up 30-35 against us.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 09:36 PM
They have some absolute tests on the schedule....SD, Cincy, Indy.....we'll see how they look in those games.

So far it's 3 weeks, I think Houston is about league average this year on offense and the other 2 are bad offenses.

Oh Snap
09-24-2007, 09:55 PM
D looks good. I like how well we played against indy last year. I think this D is leaps and bounds better then the one we had last year. I think we have the potential to give indy and cincy fits with our D.

Oh Snap
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM

I just remember the 03 season, we were playing the lions, they hadnt had a 100 yard rusher in like, forever, I think some joe shmoe nearly put up 160 on us.

KCJohnny
09-24-2007, 09:59 PM
D looks good. I like how well we played against indy last year. I think this D is leaps and bounds better then the one we had last year. I think we have the potential to give indy and cincy fits with our D.

A low-scoring contest would unquestionably be to Kansas City’sadvantage. The Chargers are just 4-34 (.105) in regular season action when being held to 17 points or less dating back to 2000, including a 2-13 (.133) mark at Qualcomm Stadium. KC allowed just 20 points in its last trip to SD, including just six points in the second half of a 20-9 loss (12/17/06). That game marked one of just four contests that the Chargers have been held at or below the 20-point barrier at home since the start of the 2004 campaign.link (http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/misc/chiefs_chargers_07r4.pdf)Defense can make the difference!!!!

Mecca
09-24-2007, 10:03 PM
That's nice but the Chargers aren't Minnesota expect at least 20.....hell Chicago and Houston got that.

jjchieffan
09-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Look who is ranked #3. The donkeys. They are giving up and unreal 88.3 yds passing per game. I know they have played some poor offenses, but that is still an impressive stat. However, they are awful against the run at 166 yds per game. Maybe Herm got mixed up and gameplanned for the donkeys last week. I think it would have actually been successful.

Hootie
09-24-2007, 10:10 PM
That's nice but the Chargers aren't Minnesota expect at least 20.....hell Chicago and Houston got that.
because of special teams and a fluke fumble...

the D has given up one touchdown drive in each game

Easy 6
09-24-2007, 10:15 PM
the D has given up one touchdown drive in each game

Thats something to hang ones hat on.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
And this will be by far the most talented offense they've faced....

Those first 3 teams were basically 1 man offensive teams and Chicago isn't even that.

Tribal Warfare
09-24-2007, 10:17 PM

Those first 3 teams were basically 1 man offensive teams and Chicago isn't even that.

and SD has a chip on their with homefield advantage which will make them more potent

jjchieffan
09-24-2007, 10:26 PM
They are 27th in total offense..27th. Norv Turner is the worst head coach in the league. Do you actually believe that they are ranked that low just because of the defenses they played? If they are such an elite offense, then they should have been able to at least put up average numbers. I bet the Colts would still be top 10 after facing those same 3 teams. Hell, I bet the Chargers would have been top 15 or better under Schottenheimer. Our D is good, and getting better every week. If the chargers score more than 17 points on offense, I will be shocked.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Why don't you take a look at the teams they played......All 3 of those teams have better D's than we do.....

24 in GB is impressive, I know people sleep on GB because they haven't seen them but that is a damn impressive defense.

And this is a road game, must everyone be reminded of the Chiefs on the road?

Hammock Parties
09-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Why don't you take a look at the teams they played......All 3 of those teams have better D's than we do.....

24 in GB is impressive, I know people sleep on GB because they haven't seen them but that is a damn impressive defense.

And this is a road game, must everyone be reminded of the Chiefs on the road?

SHUT

UP

Easy 6
09-24-2007, 10:43 PM
SHUT

UP

Once more for posterity.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Truth Hurts? :shrug:

Easy 6
09-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Truth Hurts? :shrug:

No, but your habit of finding flyshit in a bowl full of sugar is far beyond tiresome.

I dont care what you say, your a contrarian who persistently looks for any shred of negativity to expound upon.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 10:50 PM
What the hell have I said that is wrong?

I'm being honest jesus.......I'm sorry that I don't think a team that is historically awful on the road is going to win against a team that has played far better teams than us overall and on the defensive side which is our good side.

jjchieffan
09-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Okay Mecca. You think SD is so great put your money where your mouth is. If KC D gives up more than 17 points to the Chargers, you don't post here again until the season is over.

dirk digler
09-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Until the Chiefs can prove to me they can win consistently on the road I would bet against them playing a high school girls team.

Mecca
More? I'm pretty sure it's gonna be more than 17 so uhh yea.

Deberg_1990
No, but your habit of finding flyshit in a bowl full of sugar is far beyond tiresome.

I dont care what you say, your a contrarian who persistently looks for any shred of negativity to expound upon.

Hes ok. Hes just being more of a realist like myself. Keep in mind the Chiefs barely beat the Vikings. That team may not win 5 or 6 games this year.

jjchieffan
09-24-2007, 10:52 PM
We shall see.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Until the Chiefs can prove to me they can win consistently on the road I would bet against them playing a high school girls team.

Stop being a pessimist, I'm tired of your pessimistic crap you post with all the time! :)

I hope everyone knows the sarcasm there but I'll point out because some people miss it.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
We shall see.

Do you realize what you are saying......you pumped the D now you are arguing with me that SD will score more than 17 which I said they will.....have you been drinking?

Easy 6
09-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Hes ok. Hes just being more of a realist like myself. Keep in mind the Chiefs barely beat the Vikings. That team may not win 5 or 6 games this year.

I hear you AND Mecca, but somehow, even when he's right he's wrong.

Hammock Parties
09-24-2007, 10:55 PM
No way SD scores 17.

We owned their offense last year in that last game. We had Rivers number. Right now they aren't running the football. We're gonna ****ing kill their offense.

Mecca
I'm right more than I'm wrong.....I think that's why people get pissy with me..

Mecca
No way SD scores 17.

We owned their offense last year in that last game. We had Rivers number. Right now they aren't running the football. We're gonna ****ing kill their offense.

I enjoy how 1 game of scoring 13 has changed your opinion.....you get way to up and down week to week about what this team really is.

dirk digler
09-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Last year they beat us 20-9 and LT put up 199yds.

I think this might be a low scoring game unless the Chargers break out of their slump

Gochiefs who needs to throw when the D gave up 265 yds rushing? LMAO

KCJohnny
09-24-2007, 11:47 PM

:BS:

SD's O is ranked #27 right now.

SD's D is giving up 250 YPG passing. This is easy. Pass the ball, force turnovers. Oh, and BTW, did I mention Herm is 4-2 against the Bolts?

Mecca
09-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Johnny and his homerism.

09-24-2007, 11:58 PM
:BS:

SD's O is ranked #27 right now.

SD's D is giving up 250 YPG passing. This is easy. Pass the ball, force turnovers. Oh, and BTW, did I mention Herm is 4-2 against the Bolts?
And Hermie is still Herm. We will continue to pound the ball between the tackles against 9 man fronts.

The game is at San Diego. If we find a way to win this, OUTSTANDING!

I don't see it happening though.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2007, 01:06 AM
I enjoy how 1 game of scoring 13 has changed your opinion.....you get way to up and down week to week about what this team really is.

I'm talking about our DEFENSE.

San Diego SUCKS right now on offense. The last time we faced the Chargers we OWNED their offense. We're gonna rape them again.

|Zach|
09-25-2007, 01:27 AM
I enjoy
I took out the rest of this post because anything following it was obviously false.

There is absolutely no way you enjoy anything.

Not a post for laughs. This is serious.

KCJohnny
09-25-2007, 11:33 AM
And Hermie is still Herm. We will continue to pound the ball between the tackles against 9 man fronts.

The game is at San Diego. If we find a way to win this, OUTSTANDING!

I don't see it happening though.

It won't be easy, and none of this play like crap for 3 quarters and then pass like crazy, either.

I like our chances if we force TOs and get a defensive score. Stranger things have happened. Look for Donnie Edwards to torch his old team and take an errant Rivers toss to the house.

RINGLEADER
09-25-2007, 11:46 AM

Agree that San Diego on the road will be a great test of just how good this defense really is.

But for the sake of clarity the defense didn't allow 20 to Houston and Chicago. Houston got 7 of their points off the Wilson (non) fumble and return and Chicago got 10 of their points off Devin Hester returns. Take those scores away from the total and the Chiefs are number two in scoring defense having allowed a total of only 33 points through three games (only 3 of those allowed in the second halves of games).

Now if we can get Solari to lead with the pass we'll be A-OK in my book!

RINGLEADER
09-25-2007, 11:50 AM
It won't be easy, and none of this play like crap for 3 quarters and then pass like crazy, either.

I like our chances if we force TOs and get a defensive score. Stranger things have happened. Look for Donnie Edwards to torch his old team and take an errant Rivers toss to the house.

I have a suspicion that Donnie Edwards is going to have the game of his life with a sack, an INT, and a forced fumble. Hopefully he'll flip off Norv Turner and AJ as well!

Mr. Plow
09-25-2007, 12:04 PM
If the chargers score more than 17 points on offense, I will be shocked.

If the Chargers score 17 points, consider the game over.

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
If the Chargers score 17 points, consider the game over.

Nah, more like 14 points

Mr. Plow
09-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Nah, more like 14 points

I was counting the time we'll turn over the ball in our territory and only allow 7 or 8 yards to SD.....which results in a 40+ yard field goal.

InChiefsHeaven
09-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I can't even think of how this game will go. I mean, I think the Offense can move the ball through the air if the chains are taken off. Our Defense will do well, but like we saw at home against the Dikes, they are prone to letting go of at least one TD drive and making it look easy for the opposing offense. I mean, Minny went through them like a hot knife through butter on their first drive. We can't afford that on the road at SD. We need to strike first, hell even if it's only a FG.

Chiefs can win, the Chargers are kinda screwed up right now. They are playing for pride at home against a division rival though. I don't expect them to put up a bad effort. Our D has to be perfect.

bkkcoh
09-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Not sure if posted within this thread, but so what..

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/C47A0E1EC9AE4B9BBB10340DCCA25F99.GIF?

Valiant
09-25-2007, 01:08 PM

I hope that is true, but I have the feeling Peyton and company can still pick this defense apart...

Valiant
09-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Well hopefully Herm learns and follows suite of stacking the line against LT and then also using one backer as a spy on him.. Let our ends to the rest when they try and pass...

Then if our offense does not flounder we have a chance to win on the road...

Frazod
09-25-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm right more than I'm wrong.....I think that's why people get pissy with me..

No, people get sick of you because ALL YOU DO IS WHINE ABOUT HOW MUCH WE SUCK. Endlessly. Seems like you post 200 times a day, and every goddamn thing you say is negative. Your presence here is both miserable and depressing. Seriously, you make Debbie Downer look like Julie McCoy. The Good Humor man would try to run over you with his ice cream truck. We get it; really, we do. Everything about the Chiefs sucks. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Enough already.

Do you simply live to endlessly bitch? It seems that way. A little mindless homerism is a welcome change from your tired act.

YearOfTheCharger
09-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Chargers are running the gauntlet of great defenses.

Its just not fair!

jjchieffan
09-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Do you realize what you are saying......you pumped the D now you are arguing with me that SD will score more than 17 which I said they will.....have you been drinking?

I guess you misunderstood me. I just meant that we shall see what they score. I am thrilled that you took my challenge. I look forward to not dealing with your negative posts the rest of the season because the SD offense will not score more than 17 points.

Micjones
09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
#8 Scoring Defense in the league as well.

The D's been tough so far.

the Talking Can
09-25-2007, 03:58 PM

that's an impressive stat

Easy 6
09-25-2007, 04:01 PM
that's an impressive stat

Sure, its easy to put up good stats when you play the worst teams in the NFL.

A team that was any good at all would be #1 in ALL defensive rankings.../Mecca.

Mecca
09-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Not once did I say the defense sucks......

But let's have some realism here, Herm is not going to come out throwing, this is Herm not DV.

Valiant
09-25-2007, 04:21 PM

Wow that is impressive for us.. And sad also that two of the teams got on that list from just playing us...

Coach
09-25-2007, 04:22 PM

Imagine that number would have been higher if the offense would had chipped in a little bit more than they oughta be.

If the Chiefs have a decent offense, it would take the pressure off of the defense.

bkkcoh
09-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Wow that is impressive for us.. And sad also that two of the teams got on that list from just playing us...

At least San Diego isn't on the list heading into the game.....

Valiant
09-25-2007, 04:39 PM

Okay not so bad only the Vikings raped us on negative plays.. The bears just had more sacks..

Vikings: 9 negative rushing plays. and 2 negative passing plays. 1 sack

Chicago:3 negative rushing plays. and 1 negative passing plays. 4 sack

Houston: 2 negative rushing plays. 0 negative passing plays. 3 sack

TEX
09-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Yep, But the O's been worse than the D's been good. :shake:

KCJohnny
09-25-2007, 06:00 PM

And that includes TWO games without defensive MVP Jared Allen. These stats tell me our D is getting in the opponents' backfield a LOT.

Boys, we've got a defense.:toast:

jjchieffan
10-03-2007, 12:07 PM
This is the thread where Mecca accepted the challenge on the SD game.

KC Dan
10-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Wrong, Nay Sayer!

beach tribe
10-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I was actually feeling sorry for him earlier, but its obvious that everything I felt before he left is absolutely true, and now I could care less about his ass being gone. THIS IS THE LAST TIME I WILL SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MECCA AND HIS NEGATIVITY FINDING ASS.

Rausch
10-03-2007, 12:40 PM
But let's have some realism here, Herm is not going to come out throwing, this is Herm not DV.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

Wrong...

Rausch
10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm talking about our DEFENSE.

San Diego SUCKS right now on offense. The last time we faced the Chargers we OWNED their offense. We're gonna rape them again.

Nice call, wookie...

Lzen
10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Boy that Mecca sure is smart. This is right up there with the USC Trojans being better than the Chiefs. ROFL