PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER-Johnson is losing patience

C-Mac
09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Johnson is losing patience with Chiefs’ ineffective running game
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Larry Johnson was the picture of frustration Sunday during the Chiefs’ game against the Vikings, who held him to 42 yards in 24 carries. It didn’t brighten him much, but Larry Johnson was reminded Monday he has a high-profile counterpart sharing his misery.

San Diego’s LaDainian Tomlinson, the NFL’s reigning MVP, is as frustrated as Johnson, if not more. He has 10 fewer rushing yards than Johnson and was squabbling with quarterback Philip Rivers on the sideline during Sunday’s loss to the Packers.

Neither player is among the rushing leaders. Johnson was 29th and Tomlinson 32nd before Monday night’s game between New Orleans and Tennessee. Tantrums from Sunday are the defining moments of their respective seasons.

The NFL’s two top rushers from last season can share their sob stories when the Chiefs meet the Chargers on Sunday in San Diego.

“I feel bad for L.T. right now, him coming off the NFL MVP and the rushing leader and being almost dead last, right by me,” Johnson said. “I know he’s frustrated. Things are happening with him.

“You don’t feel sorry for him, but you do understand his pain.”

Having such good company in his woes did little to make Johnson feel better. He had the most difficult game of his career in Sunday’s 13-10 win over Minnesota.

Johnson had 24 carries. Until Sunday, Johnson had failed to rush for at least 100 yards only twice when he was handed the ball 20 times or more.

He didn’t even get halfway to 100 against the Vikings, who held him to 42 yards.

Defenses have conspired against Johnson before, but never like the Vikings. They dared the Chiefs to throw, and they finally did in the second half and rallied from a 10-0 deficit.

“It’s different now … because people are stacking nine, 10, maybe 11 guys (at the line of scrimmage),” Johnson said. “That’s what we’re going to have to face until we prove that we can throw the ball up the field. Defenses are looking at us like they’ll give up the 10- to 15-yard pass routes. They’d rather give up that than the 20-, 30-yard runs that we can get. It’s tough right now because that’s what defenses are thinking.”

His frustration boiled over at one point after carrying for a 5-yard loss in the second quarter. He spiked the ball, drawing a penalty and shouted toward the coaches along the sideline, as did quarterback Damon Huard.

“It was an emotional game,” Johnson said. “Football has always been emotional to me. You tend to act out when you get frustrated.

“I didn’t know Damon was yelling at whoever he was yelling at. I was yelling at whoever would listen. You’re at a point where people are preaching, ‘You have to win, you have to win’ and everybody kind of acted out in their own frustrated ways.”

Johnson’s temper was already short because the Chiefs had been woeful offensively in season-opening losses to the Texans and Bears. He stayed calm for a time Sunday but eventually couldn’t help himself.

“I came over to the sideline (earlier in the game) and the defensive players are, ‘Hey, why don’t you say something (to the coaches)?’ For a couple of series, I didn’t say anything,” Johnson said. “After a while, it became too obvious what was going on and I had to say something. I had to give my input.

“When a player comes up to me and says, ‘Why don’t you go say something?’ obviously I’m not becoming a detriment to the team.”

Johnson said he was frustrated by the Chiefs’ determination to run at the Vikings despite Minnesota’s insistence on stopping it.

“It’s not a chess game,” he said. “It’s checkers. When they’re looking for the run, you pass. When they’re looking for the pass, you run. When they put nine guys in the box, you pass. When they overload to one side, you run to the other side.

“Sometimes they make it so difficult during a game, like it’s trigonometry: ‘If this guy moves 2 feet back or this guy slides over 6 feet, we’ve got to do this or do that.’ In the game, it never happens that way.”

The Chiefs scored all of their points after Johnson’s outburst, but Johnson didn’t believe his actions resounded with Herm Edwards or the offensive coaches.

“It never does any good,” he said. “I learned a long, long time ago that coaches are always going to do what they want to do. It’s usually an ego thing rather than trying to be better and get better. It’s hard to change a coach’s perspective or an offensive coordinator’s plays. This is what they’re used to doing since they came in the league. They go by what they believe is right or by what they believe they should do.”

Hammock Parties
09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
LJ should call the plays.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 10:20 PM
This is going to end really pretty as Herm isn't changing how he wants to play...

wutamess
09-24-2007, 10:21 PM
WHOAH!
Music to my ears.

09-24-2007, 10:22 PM
ZING

Mecca
09-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Do you think it's going to change anything?

Herm is who he is, if you think the Chiefs are gonna start throwing it a lot or being aggressive you're nuts.

C-Mac
09-24-2007, 10:23 PM
I think he's still ticked about the Indy game and just see's it happening over and over.

boogblaster
He's right its not rocket-science...its what the D gives you...Huard has to change the plays when its necessary .....

wutamess
“It never does any good,” he said. “I learned a long, long time ago that coaches are always going to do what they want to do. It’s usually an ego thing rather than trying to be better and get better. It’s hard to change a coach’s perspective or an offensive coordinator’s plays. This is what they’re used to doing since they came in the league. They go by what they believe is right or by what they believe they should do.”

OMG! The shit just hit the fan.
Glad he's said something.
Best Teicher article EVAH!

dirk digler
09-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Damn LJ bringing it strong calling out Solari and Herm.

I like it.

Hammock Parties
09-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Larry should not only be the OC...he should be the GM, head coach and running backs coach, too. With the size of his contract he might be able to buy the team in a few years if he invests wisely. Then he can change the name of the team to the Kansas City Larrys.

Deberg_1990
09-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Damn LJ bringing it strong calling out Solari and Herm.

I like it.

I like it to. Hes just stepping up and being a team leader. These idiots need to be called out. I wish Tony G would call these guys out as well since hes the senior Chief.

BigRedChief
09-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Johnson is losing patience with Chiefs’ ineffective running game
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
“It was an emotional game,” Johnson said. “Football has always been emotional to me. You tend to act out when you get frustrated.

“I didn’t know Damon was yelling at whoever he was yelling at. I was yelling at whoever would listen. You’re at a point where people are preaching, ‘You have to win, you have to win’ and everybody kind of acted out in their own frustrated ways.”

Johnson’s temper was already short because the Chiefs had been woeful offensively in season-opening losses to the Texans and Bears. He stayed calm for a time Sunday but eventually couldn’t help himself.

“I came over to the sideline (earlier in the game) and the defensive players are, ‘Hey, why don’t you say something (to the coaches)?’ For a couple of series, I didn’t say anything,” Johnson said. “After a while, it became too obvious what was going on and I had to say something. I had to give my input.

“When a player comes up to me and says, ‘Why don’t you go say something?’ obviously I’m not becoming a detriment to the team.”

Johnson said he was frustrated by the Chiefs’ determination to run at the Vikings despite Minnesota’s insistence on stopping it.

“It’s not a chess game,” he said. “It’s checkers. When they’re looking for the run, you pass. When they’re looking for the pass, you run. When they put nine guys in the box, you pass. When they overload to one side, you run to the other side.

Players asking LJ to say something? Damn it must be bad.

stevieray
09-24-2007, 10:46 PM
ya, because we all know LJ not being in camp with the Oline and not being able to carry a full load at the start of the season has nothing to do with our ability or inabilty to run the ball.

C-Mac
09-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Between the yells and boos from the fans after each fatal run followed by the mutiny threat from the players, you know the coaches had to have taken note.

siberian khatru
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM

That's what I was thinking too.

Thank God they won Sunday. It's bad now, imagine how deep the shit would be if they had lost.

Hammock Parties
09-24-2007, 10:51 PM
ya, because we all know LJ not being in camp with the Oline and not being able to carry a full load at the start of the season has nothing to do with our ability or inabilty to run the ball.

You've got to be kidding me. There was NOWHERE for him to run most of the time yesterday. I about lost it when Solari called three running plays in a row after Drummond's kickoff return to the 45. Criminal playcalling.

phobia's skidmark
09-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Larry should not only be the OC...he should be the GM, head coach and running backs coach, too. With the size of his contract he might be able to buy the team in a few years if he invests wisely. Then he can change the name of the team to the Kansas City Larrys.
and you can blow all of them.

kcxiv
09-24-2007, 10:55 PM
That may be a part of it, but like he said when there's 9 people on the line and you still right it right at them and they are one of the best run defenses in the league, thats just retarded coaching. You were at the game there was 77,000 people boo'ing. I know i heard it from the tv. People on different message boards said it was bad.

They started calling the pass wtf happened? We moved the ball and we scored. Funny how that works huH?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2007, 11:02 PM

:spock:

No team can run against a 9 man front, particularly when they constantly try to run between the tackles with a line that isn't properly suited to do so.

Do you remember what Emmitt Smith did in '93? Sat out the first two games, Dallas starts off 0-2. Comes back in and has one of the best seasons of his career.

Him missing camp had less than nothing to do with this.

It's all about Curlball and Wiegmann, Welbourne, and Turley, the half-ton sieve on the right side of our line.

Anyong Bluth
09-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Herm has been put on notice. His newly paid top RB, starting QB, as well as players on his D all see he doesn't know shit about Offense. At least Vermeil didn't try to dictate the defensive plan, he just couldn't pick a good coordinator and let it become talentless while he built his crazy offensive juggernaut.

I can't see Herm winning this one b/c its gone public, players on both sides see it, and there has been success evident that directly refutes Herm's refusal to open it up.

Logical
09-24-2007, 11:07 PM

Sometimes you write the dumbest shit.:rolleyes:

Anyong Bluth
09-24-2007, 11:08 PM

When the Oline are letting guys thru so quick and Larry can barely get a clean handoff at times, that's not Larry's fault. I'm not even saying the line is totally at fault b/c when teams are stacking the line for the run, there's only so much to be expected them to block.

Open the playbook will open up lanes. You can't tell me that its that hard to understand. I think Larry just summed it up perfectly. Why keep trying to run through a wall when there's an open window to your left and a f*cking door to your right...

wutamess
09-24-2007, 11:09 PM
and you can blow all of them.

Besides the black gay Superman, that has to be the best avatar evah!

Tribal Warfare
09-24-2007, 11:10 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/289219.html

C-Mac
09-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Herm will loose his players if he doesnt concede to some changes.

petegz28
09-24-2007, 11:12 PM
I like it to. Hes just stepping up and being a team leader. These idiots need to be called out. I wish Tony G would call these guys out as well since hes the senior Chief.

Actually Tony called out people, uncluding himself and Solari last week. As far as Solari goes Tony G said "we need to call better plays on offense".

So this is actually round 2 of a player calling out the offensive coaches.

petegz28
09-24-2007, 11:15 PM
“Sometimes they make it so difficult during a game, like it’s trigonometry: ‘If this guy moves 2 feet back or this guy slides over 6 feet, we’ve got to do this or do that.’ In the game, it never happens that way.”

Couldn't of said it better LJ. Solari is not a good OC.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Perhaps the only thing that can save this team is Tony Dungy. Since he and Herm are such buds, perhaps Dungy could relay to Herm how and why he ceded control of the offense and the benefits it yielded for him.

Then again, Herm is one of the biggest egomaniacs I've ever seen in any sport, so good luck with that :shake:

Anyong Bluth
09-24-2007, 11:18 PM
If this keeps up next week. Waters has more than a few quote worthy takes after the game. I'm sure EK would be jumping in too if he hadn't been hurt the 1st play of the season.

I mean, seriously, it's like this guy thinks that just b/c he played DB, that all DB's should be too good at stopping the pass, and that there's no way a team can successfully exchange the ball between a QB and another offensive player if its further than 6 inches. i.e. handing off!!

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2007, 11:21 PM
It's all about Curlball...

I prefer to call it Dickball

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2007, 11:22 PM
If this keeps up next week. Waters has more than a few quote worthy takes after the game. I'm sure EK would be jumping in too if he hadn't been hurt the 1st play of the season.

I mean, seriously, it's like this guy thinks that just b/c he played DB, that all DB's should be too good at stopping the pass, and that there's no way a team can successfully exchange the ball between a QB and another offensive player if its further than 6 inches. i.e. handing off!!

Hey, I was a player in this league. I played!!

Anyong Bluth
09-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Perhaps the only thing that can save this team is Tony Dungy. Since he and Herm are such buds, perhaps Dungy could relay to Herm how and why he ceded control of the offense and the benefits it yielded for him.

Then again, Herm is one of the biggest egomaniacs I've ever seen in any sport, so good luck with that :shake:

Yeah, but I think his players generally like him- a lot. Ty Law pretty much would bounce around the league for the guy, and I think most players recognize that he is a good talent evaluator, and defensive coach. It's not absurd to think that Herm spent so long focusing on every little way to stop a team from passing that he simply can not put himself in a mindset to predict success from passing. No matter, he isn't a creative offensive mind. If he washed his hands of the O, and brought in someone else that is effective, I don't think anyone around here would really be griping about Herm otherwise.

Mecca
09-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Herm still thinks it's 1965.

Anyong Bluth
09-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Herm still thinks it's 1965.

But secretly longs for the good old smashmouth days of 1935!

If this was basketball, Herm would be teaching the set shot because, "Who knows where you're gonna land attempting to take some crazy jump shot- all off balance and thrown out of kilter. Not to mention, if you do start making a bunch of baskets, we're gonna have to keep climbing up that ladder to get the ball outta the peach basket THAT much more!!!"

09-24-2007, 11:35 PM
But secretly longs for the good old smashmouth days of 1935!

If this was basketball, Herm would be teaching the set shot because, "Who knows where you're gonna land attempting to take some crazy jump shot- all off balance and thrown out of kilter. Not to mention, if you do start making a bunch of baskets, we're gonna have to keep climbing up that ladder to get the ball outta the peach basket THAT much more!!!"
Nah, they had a stick for that.

kregger
09-24-2007, 11:37 PM
There were at least two times that I'm surprised Huard didn't hand the ball to a Viking. Two guys in the backfield at the snap begs for a play action/downfield passing attack.

FAX
09-25-2007, 12:11 AM
But secretly longs for the good old smashmouth days of 1935! ...

That might not be so bad, Mr. Cocina_Basement.

Most Points, Shutout Victory, Game

66 - Rochester vs. Fort Porter, Oct. 10, 1920
64 - Philadelphia vs. Cincinnati, Nov. 6, 1934
62 - Akron vs. Oorang, Oct. 29, 1922

(From the NFL History Web Site) (http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/team/scoring)

FAX

Hammock Parties
09-25-2007, 12:41 AM
I still say blaming Herm is blaming the wrong guy. Maybe you can blame him for not putting Dick Curl and Solari in line, but we played differently last year...we played like we did in the second half against the Vikings.

For all we know, Herm told his coaches to ****ing listen to the players at halftime.

If anyone here has an ego, it strikes me as Curl. The dude seems like a colossal douchebag from things I've heard. That's why Huard was screaming at him after we finally got a FG.

Tactical Funky
09-25-2007, 03:07 AM
I never had any idea LJ was such an eloquent speaker, yet he also manages to state his points clearly and concisely...

Not to mention he makes perfect sense in this article, too.

Chan93lx50
09-25-2007, 04:11 AM
Wow, this really shows how f*cking stupid our coaching staff is.................

How sad is that!

Chan93lx50
09-25-2007, 04:13 AM
I still say blaming Herm is blaming the wrong guy. Maybe you can blame him for not putting Dick Curl and Solari in line, but we played differently last year...we played like we did in the second half against the Vikings.

For all we know, Herm told his coaches to ****ing listen to the players at halftime.

If anyone here has an ego, it strikes me as Curl. The dude seems like a colossal douchebag from things I've heard. That's why Huard was screaming at him after we finally got a FG.

I would luv to punch that hair lip right in the face!

cookster50
09-25-2007, 05:39 AM

I nominate this post for "Stupid post of the day" award.

BTW Stevie, saw you on the tube, those grays are starting to win the battle!

the Talking Can
09-25-2007, 05:45 AM
he's just said that our HC is dumb

and he's right

PhillyChiefFan
09-25-2007, 05:52 AM

This is exactly what I thought. Will Solari or Herm ever listen to them or the fans??? I am starting to doubt it, however they did adjust after the outburst. Its just pathetic that that is what it took to shake thiings up.

Zouk
09-25-2007, 06:26 AM
This is pathetic on Larry's part.

If he said to Bill Parcells or Vince Lombardi that running into 8 man fronts is too hard and he didn't want the ball, they would ream him out. The 86 Giants ran plenty of times into 8 man fronts. This guy wants things to be easy.

You run into 8 man fronts to set up a big screen or play action play. The Vikings did the same thing and got Robert Ferugson wide open for an easy TD in the 3rd quarter. The Chiefs tried it on the 4th 1st and 10 on one drive but it got blown up.

This was a terrible contract to give out. Adrian Peterson is clearly the superior player already.

Anyong Bluth
09-25-2007, 06:35 AM

If he said to Bill Parcells or Vince Lombardi that running into 8 man fronts is too hard and he didn't want the ball, they would ream him out. The 86 Giants ran plenty of times into 8 man fronts. This guy wants things to be easy.

You run into 8 man fronts to set up a big screen or play action play. The Vikings did the same thing and got Robert Ferugson wide open for an easy TD in the 3rd quarter. The Chiefs tried it on the 4th 1st and 10 on one drive but it got blown up.

This was a terrible contract to give out. Adrian Peterson is clearly the superior player already.

You, like Herm, are looking at the NFL from 21 years ago as model to serve this team's direction. I heard there's gonna be a new recipe for Coke, boy am I excited!

Otter
09-25-2007, 06:45 AM
You, like Herm, are looking at the NFL from 21 years ago as model to serve this team's direction. I heard there's gonna be a new recipe for Coke, boy am I excited!

ROFL

Chevy Chase is funny as hell, I can't wait to see him host his own late night show!!!

the Talking Can
09-25-2007, 06:46 AM

hilarious

ovaltine

Zouk
09-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Jamal Lewis - they all faced the same thing. They all had planty of 20 carry 40 yard performances against good defenses. None of them ever went back to the sideline and said stop giving me the ball.

Larry is a baby and does not have the temperament of a great player.

donkhater
09-25-2007, 06:51 AM

So you run into 8-9 man fronts 20+ times for ONE play action pass the ENTIRE game. Somehow I don't think Parcells and Lombardi are that stupid.

movinbones
09-25-2007, 06:54 AM

Hey Damark you may have to start a poll for the "Stupid post of the day" award.

We have another nominee..

BigRedChief
09-25-2007, 06:55 AM
Between the yells and boos from the fans after each fatal run followed by the mutiny threat from the players, you know the coaches had to have taken note.
If they go out and lay an egg in SD and then come back wth a bunch of 3 and outs that were run, run, pass, punt not only will you hear very loud boo's but you will start to see empty seats and then that will get King Carl's and Clark Hunt's attention.

cookster50
09-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Hey Damark you may have to start a poll for the "Stupid post of the day" award.

We have another nominee..
Well, in fairness, my nominee was actually posted yesterday, so this could be a new one for today!!! BTW, pretty much all posts by Mrs. Herm Edwards(Zouk) can be nominated.

Chiefnj2
09-25-2007, 06:58 AM
This was a terrible contract to give out.

Not nearly as bad as the contract given to Herm and the loss of a 4th round draft pick.

InChiefsHeaven
09-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Somewhere in Miami, Trent Green is smirking and nodding...

dirk digler
09-25-2007, 07:02 AM

:rolleyes:

That would be fine if we actually threw a play action pass. God you're stupid.

InChiefsHeaven
09-25-2007, 07:05 AM
ROFL

Chevy Chase is funny as hell, I can't wait to see him host his own late night show!!!

SO, this new Van Halen thing with Sammy Hagar...I don't think I like it...I bet they bring Dave back soon... :)

pikesome
09-25-2007, 07:07 AM
Somewhere in Miami, Trent Green is smirking and nodding...

About the 5 Ints he's thrown? The 5 sacks for 32 yrds? He's got a lower QB rating and a lower completion pct. I'm not enamored with Huard but Trent isn't really making a good case he should have been kept.

King_Chief_Fan
09-25-2007, 07:08 AM

Your man crush on Herm is showing again. He is a bafoon and you know it. How come it takes a player to tell the coaches? Why wasn't Vermin telling the coaches. Verm stands on the sidelines with his hat setting crooked, chin in palm, arms crossed with a dazed look on his face. He is not a head coach. Over half this board can plainly see what the issues are and he does nothing.

Skip Towne
09-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Your man crush on Herm is showing again. He is a bafoon and you know it. How come it takes a player to tell the coaches? Why wasn't Vermin telling the coaches. Verm stands on the sidelines with his hat setting crooked, chin in palm, arms crossed with a dazed look on his face. He is not a head coach. Over half this board can plainly see what the issues are and he does nothing.
:clap:

BigRedChief
09-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Johhny Unitas said, "You haven't arrived as a quarterback in the NFL until you have told your coach to go to hell."

We are chit without LJ. How he does is directly tied to our teams success.

Anyong Bluth
09-25-2007, 07:19 AM
About the 5 Ints he's thrown? The 5 sacks for 32 yrds? He's got a lower QB rating and a lower completion pct. I'm not enamored with Huard but Trent isn't really making a good case he should have been kept.

Agreed. If you've seen Trent play this year, Huard has got more zip on his ball than some of the clay pigeons being unleashed down in Miami.

C-Mac
09-25-2007, 07:23 AM
This is exactly what I thought. Will Solari or Herm ever listen to them or the fans??? I am starting to doubt it, however they did adjust after the outburst. Its just pathetic that that is what it took to shake thiings up.

Well, they did change from wearing white to wearing red for some reason.
:hmmm:

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Wow! Sweet music to my ears...

Watching Herm destroy the Chiefs is making this football season so sad...

But if this means the End of Carl and Herm. Then so be it...

But the only change we will see at the end of the year is Solari chained to the bus as it heads down I-70...

Next year is more of the same...

Huard for league MVP!

Zouk
09-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Larry on Monday: I want 40 carries.

Larry in the 1st half: This is too hard, throw it instead. Even though I'll probably miss my block and have Huard strip sacked or have to rush his throw.

Larry in the preseason: I don't take punishment, I inflict it.

Larry in the 1st half: This is too hard, throw it instead.

I'm sure your heros Jim Brown and Earl Campbell would have done the same thing, right Larry?

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 07:52 AM

Larry in the 1st half: This is too hard, throw it instead. Even though I'll probably miss my block and have Huard strip sacked or have to rush his throw.

I'm sure your heros Jim Brown and Earl Campbell would have done the same thing, right Larry?

ROFL

Lets all sing Herm's praises...... Hell even Lenny Dawson was wondering what the hell the Chiefs were doing during the game?

BigRedChief
09-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Well, they did change from wearing white to wearing red for some reason.
:hmmm:
Go Chiefs enters in 1..2...3...

Zouk
09-25-2007, 07:58 AM
And Whitlock's concept that the players complaining got the Chiefs to change their play calling is transparently wrong. The Chiefs continued to run the ball on most 1st and 10s in the 2nd half. The gamebook shows this clearly.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/29230/KC_Gamebook.pdf

The Vikings have no depth behind Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. On a hot day, you have to tire them out. Keep running and wear them out - isn't that supposed to be your mantra, Larry?

Chiefnj2
09-25-2007, 08:01 AM
ROFL

Lets all sing Herm's praises...... Hell even Lenny Dawson was wondering what the hell the Chiefs were doing during the game?

I've never heard a home radio station be as critical of the home team as Dawson was in the first half of the Viking game.

dirk digler
09-25-2007, 08:02 AM

You can't be this stupid can you? Hell even the announcers were saying how stupid the Chiefs were for keep running right up the middle. After running your head against a brick wall 50 times wouldn't you decide to try something different?

BTW I am sure you noticed the great block LJ had on a couple of pass plays.

Chiefnj2
09-25-2007, 08:05 AM
And Whitlock's concept that the players complaining got the Chiefs to change their play calling is transparently wrong. The Chiefs continued to run the ball on most 1st and 10s in the 2nd half. The gamebook shows this clearly.

The Chiefs have no depth behind Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. On a hot day, you have to tire them out. Keep running and wear them out - isn't that supposed to be your mantra, Larry?

You are correct Zouk. The run/pass playcalling didn't change all that much. What changed was that that when they passed instead of 1 yard dumpoffs to Wilson they started throwing downfield to Tony and Bowe.

That serves as even greater proof that Herm will continue with his ridiculous offensive philosophy and Solari will continue the worst offensive playcalling this team has ever seen.

It's all fine by me.

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 08:10 AM
I've never heard a home radio station be as critical of the home team as Dawson was in the first half of the Viking game.

It was pretty harsh.... He kept saying "What are they doing? Cant they see that they arent even respecting the pass" "8-9 in the box, you cant just keep running straight ahead, that isnt very smart football"

Dawson was stunned to say the least.....

And yet people actually are blaming Solari.... What is more comical is that this is Herm mantra and has been for 6+ years... What are people going to say when they Fire Solari? They will rejoice and then next year we will see the exact same thing.....

Herm and Dicky Curls are the "root" of the problem, not Solari whom learned under DV and AS.... The same thing happened in NYJ... Herm hasnt learned and the Chiefs and its faithful are paying for it...

MahiMike
09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
I'd say LJ is earning is paycheck now. As for Herm, we want a refund...

Chiefnj2
09-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Herm and Dicky Curls are the "root" of the problem, not Solari whom learned under DV and AS.... The same thing happened in NYJ... Herm hasnt learned and the Chiefs and its faithful are paying for it...

Are the Chiefs coordinators allowed to do press interviews?

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Are the Chiefs coordinators allowed to do press interviews?

Dont think so, but I could be wrong.....

petegz28
09-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Dont think so, but I could be wrong.....

Generaly they don't. They can talk tot he media but it doesn't happen often. And it sure won't happen if they think they are going to get raked over the coals.

StcChief
09-25-2007, 08:28 AM
LJ Missed Pre season LT was a void.

but LJ got his $$$ and that's all that matters (to him)

Reerun_KC
Generaly they don't. They can talk tot he media but it doesn't happen often. And it sure won't happen if they think they are going to get raked over the coals.

I really dont think Herm will allow anyone to say anything that might be condemning of him....

Reerun_KC
LJ Missed Pre season LT was a void.

but LJ got his $$$ and that's all that matters (to him)

And Herm has totally destroyed the circus offense as well...

So it is a wash....

King_Chief_Fan
09-25-2007, 08:29 AM

You must be Herm. How thick headed are you?
LJ may be just a little smarter than the others. You keep doing what you been doing, you keep getting what you been getting. Change the play calling to open up the run. LJ is right. You and Herm are stupid.

Zouk
09-25-2007, 08:31 AM
I really dont think Herm will allow anyone to say anything that might be condemning of him....

Dude - Gunther and Solari don't want to be fired. Herm is their boss.

And they are allowed and do, at least in the case of Gunther, talk to the press.

Zouk
09-25-2007, 08:33 AM
You must be Herm. How thick headed are you?
LJ may be just a little smarter than the others. You keep doing what you been doing, you keep getting what you been getting. Change the play calling to open up the run. LJ is right. You and Herm are stupid.

Herm doesn't know how to use the Internet. Don't you know that?

Skip Towne
09-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Herm doesn't know how to use the Internet. Don't you know that?
You're a cousin?

BigRedChief
09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
All these old school 3 yards and a cloud of dust coaches have changed except for Herm.

Marty changed in SD, Cohwer changed in Pitt, Dungy changed in Indy.

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Dude - Gunther and Solari don't want to be fired. Herm is their boss.

And they are allowed and do, at least in the case of Gunther, talk to the press.

Fair enough....

cookster50
09-25-2007, 08:44 AM
You're a cousin?
No, Hermie's wife.

Skip Towne
09-25-2007, 08:59 AM
No, Hermie's wife.
Gotta be something like that. Herm played in the NFL from '79 to '86. Did the combine use ACT (or whatever they use) tests back then? I'd like to see Herm's.

PastorMikH
09-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Things could get really interesting if the key players get a little more vocal.

LJ is speaking out
TG has hinted a bit to the media
Huard is screaming at the coaches on the sidelines
The D is encouraging LJ to speak up...

Yep, things could get interesting if the coaching mindset stays the same.

I am thinking that Herm is about to lose control, but then again, if his players are complaining to the media about the coaching decisions it reality he already has.

Players can take out a coach when they want - just ask Grunhard about the players quitting on Gunther. It doesn't sound like it will be long before things blow completely up if Herm doesn't change his mindset.

Mr. Plow
09-25-2007, 09:30 AM
All these old school 3 yards and a cloud of dust coaches have changed except for Herm.

Marty changed in SD, Cohwer changed in Pitt, Dungy changed in Indy.

Bingo. This type of offense does not work in the NFL.....at least on a consistent basis. Every so often you get a Baltimore, but in today's NFL, you have to score POINTS.

Not the field goal variety. The touchdown kind. Lots of them. You can not average 8.7 points per game and win in this league.

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Things could get really interesting if the key players get a little more vocal.

LJ is speaking out
TG has hinted a bit to the media
Huard is screaming at the coaches on the sidelines
The D is encouraging LJ to speak up...

Yep, things could get interesting if the coaching mindset stays the same.

I am thinking that Herm is about to lose control, but then again, if his players are complaining to the media about the coaching decisions it reality he already has.

Players can take out a coach when they want - just ask Grunhard about the players quitting on Gunther. It doesn't sound like it will be long before things blow completely up if Herm doesn't change his mindset.

this could be the best thing to happen to the Chiefs in a long time...

Nothing would make me happier than the players quit on Herm and just play the season out in hopes Herm will be fired....

Chiefs Pantalones
09-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Herm will loose his players if he doesnt concede to some changes.

He already has, IMO.

PastorMikH
09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
this could be the best thing to happen to the Chiefs in a long time...

Nothing would make me happier than the players quit on Herm and just play the season out in hopes Herm will be fired....

Actually, if they quit on Herm and he learns a lesson from it and changes his offensive mindset completely, he could be a pretty good HC.

Shoot, if they quit on him now by the BYE week they might have him convinced to do it their way and sweep the second half of the season and make the playoffs.

I know, I know, put the pipe down and back away...

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Actually, if they quit on Herm and he learns a lesson from it and changes his offensive mindset completely, he could be a pretty good HC.

Shoot, if they quit on him now by the BYE week they might have him convinced to do it their way and sweep the second half of the season and make the playoffs.

I know, I know, put the pipe down and back away...

It is going to take drastic measures to get this changed.... Herm is what is holding this team back, not the players...

Zouk
09-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Bingo. This type of offense does not work in the NFL.....at least on a consistent basis. Every so often you get a Baltimore, but in today's NFL, you have to score POINTS.

Not the field goal variety. The touchdown kind. Lots of them. You can not average 8.7 points per game and win in this league.

This is not the vision of the offense long-term. It is clear the passing offense has to get better for us to be good. But the only legit NFL WR with experience on this team got hurt on the first play from scrimmage. Bowe is flashing now, but he doesn't even know all the plays yet.

The biggest need on the team is for a Randle-El / Santana Moss type to put on the other side of Bowe.

Lzen
09-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Sometimes you write the dumbest shit.:rolleyes:

Actually, I thought that was pretty funny. Surely, you didn't take his post seriously.

FringeNC
09-25-2007, 09:44 AM

The Vikings have no depth behind Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. On a hot day, you have to tire them out. Keep running and wear them out - isn't that supposed to be your mantra, Larry?

Wouldn't they have gotten a lot more tired if we had run 80 plays against them like the Chiefs offense used to do? When you don't get first downs because of idiotic play-calling, how exactly is a defense going to get tired?

Zouk
09-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't they have gotten a lot more tired if we had run 80 plays against them like the Chiefs offense used to do? When you don't get first downs because of idiotic play-calling, how exactly is a defense going to get tired?

You've got to look realistically at our talent on offense comapred to their talent on defense. That was a team that had 3 defensive touchdowns in 2 games.

There was no way we were getting 80 plays on offense. Stop pretending that we're capable of dominating the line of scrimmage like we did in those days.

King_Chief_Fan
09-25-2007, 09:55 AM
You've got to look realistically at our talent on offense comapred to their talent on defense. That was a team that had 3 defensive touchdowns in 2 games.

There was no way we were getting 80 plays on offense. Stop pretending that we're capable of dominating the line of scrimmage like we did in those days.

TA DA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You finally get it. Without the dominating line against 9 man fronts, how is LJ suppoed to run the ball?

I can't believe it took you this long, but you finally got there. Congratulations.

Lzen
09-25-2007, 09:55 AM

Listen, dumb ass, it's really simple. When the other team is bringing 8 or 9 guys and we only have 5 or 6 blockers, it's impossible to block everybody. No running back is going to have success when half of the plays the defense is in the backfield. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that strategy. Defenses don't respect the play calling nor do they respect Huard.

FringeNC
09-25-2007, 09:57 AM

I don't care if we still had big Willie Roaf -- no way we're going to be able to run against 13-man fronts. We'd have been throwing downfield.

trndobrd
09-25-2007, 09:59 AM
This is not the vision of the offense long-term. It is clear the passing offense has to get better for us to be good. But the only legit NFL WR with experience on this team got hurt on the first play from scrimmage. Bowe is flashing now, but he doesn't even know all the plays yet.

The biggest need on the team is for a Randle-El / Santana Moss type to put on the other side of Bowe.

The problem isn't the lack of quality receivers. They have enough talent at WR and TE to get the job done. However, they are not going to catch passes that aren't thrown. It's not even a question of stretching the field, it's a matter of not throwing a single pass to a WR for an entire half. LJ hit the nail on the head last week, sometimes you have to throw down field, even if you don't think you will be successful, just to show the defense that you aren't afraid to throw.

Lzen
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
It was pretty harsh.... He kept saying "What are they doing? Cant they see that they arent even respecting the pass" "8-9 in the box, you cant just keep running straight ahead, that isnt very smart football"

Dawson was stunned to say the least.....

And yet people actually are blaming Solari.... What is more comical is that this is Herm mantra and has been for 6+ years... What are people going to say when they Fire Solari? They will rejoice and then next year we will see the exact same thing.....

You know, I keep wondering the same thing. People keep trying to place blame on Solari but I wonder how much Herm has tied his hands. Remember the first preseason game last year? Solari was getting way to cute for Herm and Herm yelled at him about it. It went down hill from there. :shake:

trndobrd
09-25-2007, 10:01 AM
I don't care if we still had big Willie Roaf -- no way we're going to be able to run against 13-man fronts. We'd have been throwing downfield.

It's pretty tough to do much of anything against 13 man fronts.

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 10:03 AM
You know, I keep wondering the same thing. People keep trying to place blame on Solari but I wonder how much Herm has tied his hands. Remember the first preseason game last year? Solari was getting way to cute for Herm and Herm yelled at him about it. It went down hill from there. :shake:

Grunny said on 610 that all calls from Solari go through Dicky Curls before they go to the QB....

Dont know what to make of that.

RedThat
09-25-2007, 10:03 AM

The pass offense can't get good if the coaches decide to run the same passing plays over and over. The pass offense can't also get better when it's obvious the Chiefs should pass in certain situations? Like when teams stack 8, 9 men in the box. Coaching and playcalling is a big issue with this team.

Herms mind is so fixated towards this stupid conservative ball contolling style of offense. And I don't anticipate on him changing it. He runs the same exact plays over and over on offense. Teams know what he is going to do but yet he runs the same plays expecting it to work when its clear it doesn't. 3 and outs, we lead the league in them!! This is not football here...This is insanity!

"Hey let's throw this 5 yard swing pass?"

"Hey how about a short screen?"

"How about a 5 yard quick slant?"

"Let's run up the middle on the Vikings! It's okaaaaay....They only have Pat Williams, and 8 men in the box."

These are the plays we always run on offense most of the time. Same plays=same results.

And this is the vision of our offense. Using the short part of the field almost all the time. You know what it takes to open up the passing game? when the coaches realize we're down 10 or 13 nothing and then they have no choice?

*And we have weapons on offense. Bowe and Gonzalez are like having 2 stud receivers out there anyway? When Kennison gets back we should have even more weapons.

We don't need another receiver on offense. Im convinced we're fine there. We need a new head coach, with a new assistant coach, and a new offensive co-ordinator.

FringeNC
09-25-2007, 10:04 AM
It's pretty tough to do much of anything against 13 man fronts.

Yes, I do know it's 11 on 11 -- but Herm would still run if the defense had two extra guys at the l.o.s. instead of trying to throw over them.

Sure-Oz
09-25-2007, 10:04 AM
The blame goes to the headcoach, he should lay the smack down on all his loser coaches seriously. The offense is being demolished on purpose cause they are clueless.

Lzen
09-25-2007, 10:05 AM
sometimes you have to throw down field, even if you don't think you will be successful, just to show the defense that you aren't afraid to throw.

Ding ding ding!!!!!!!

Chiefnj2
09-25-2007, 10:08 AM
It is inexcusable that Bowe's first reception (and I think the first time he was thrown to period) comes at the 9 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

RedThat
09-25-2007, 10:14 AM
I am seriously convinced that in almost every game this year, the Chiefs are going to play from behind because this stupid coaching staff will put them in those situations. Never a good thing.

I've noticed every game they start off this year, they start off playing so timid. Just start off the game with runs up the middle, short swing passes, short screens, and quick slants. Guess what? 3 and outs! Punts, punts, and more punts. Gotta get used to that? Oh why don't I just shut up, how can you get used to that?

But before you know it the Chiefs are down 10, 13, 20 nothing...Then you know the game is over. 4-12, 5-11 this year.

Zouk
09-25-2007, 10:15 AM
TA DA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You finally get it. Without the dominating line against 9 man fronts, how is LJ suppoed to run the ball?

I can't believe it took you this long, but you finally got there. Congratulations.

With the way our defense was playing, virtually the only chance the Vikings had to win the game was from getting a big play off our passing offense - strip sack, interception, etc. That's the only way they've won so far this year. The Lions had to go to overtime against them last week even though Tarvaris Jackson threw 4 picks, because the Lions offense kept giving the Vikings scores.

This passing offense is not good enough right now to throw 40 times a game - period. Bad things will happen. Hopefully it will get better as Brodie and Bowe get in there and have the full playbook available to them.

RedThat
09-25-2007, 10:15 AM
It is inexcusable that Bowe's first reception (and I think the first time he was thrown to period) comes at the 9 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

Every game they've played this year has started off with passes to only the RB's and TE's....The only time they'll pass to their WR's is when they're down 14-0.

Sure-Oz
09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I am seriously convinced that in almost every game this year, the Chiefs are going to play from behind because this stupid coaching staff will put them in those situations. Never a good thing.

I've noticed every game they start off this year, they start off playing so timid. Just start off the game with runs up the middle, short swing passes, short screens, and quick slants. Guess what? 3 and outs! Punts, punts, and more punts. Gotta get used to that? Oh why don't I just shut up, how can you get used to that?

But before you know it the Chiefs are down 10, 13, 20 nothing...Then you know the game is over. 4-12, 5-11 this year.
This team is way more talented on offense then they allow them to be...i sense if the offense doesn't get good playcalling then there will be an implosion bigger than sunday, easy.

Zouk
09-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Grunny said on 610 that all calls from Solari go through Dicky Curls before they go to the QB....

Dont know what to make of that.

That Mike Solari's voice is not loud enough to reach the players on the filed from the press box?

The QB coach calls in plays to the QB on just about every team. Curl is not changing Solari's calls.

Lzen
09-25-2007, 10:17 AM
With the way our defense was playing, virtually the only chance the Vikings had to win the game was from getting a big play off our passing offense - strip sack, interception, etc. That's the only way they've won so far this year. The Lions had to go to overtime against them last week even though Tarvaris Jackson threw 4 picks, because the Lions offense kept giving the Vikings scores.

This passing offense is not good enough right now to throw 40 times a game - period. Bad things will happen. Hopefully it will get better as Brodie and Bowe get in there and have the full playbook available to them.

You sound like Herm. That is called playing scared. That is why this team blew chunks at Indy in the playoffs last year. You can't play scared or you will lose.

RedThat
09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
This team is way more talented on offense then they allow them to be...i sense if the offense doesn't get good playcalling then there will be an implosion bigger than sunday, easy.

I agree, they are talented on offense. The only areas on offense that need significant improvement imo are RT, and they need a QB that can take them to the next level.

If the offense doesn't get good playcalling and the Chiefs finsih 4-12, 5-11 then Herm and co...have to be fired! And Carl peterson deserves to go with them.

Zouk
09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
You sound like Herm. That is called playing scared. That is why this team blew chunks at Indy in the playoffs last year. You can't play scared or you will lose.

So all that stood between the 2006 Chiefs and the Super Bowl was better play calling?

We couldn't beat the Colts becuase they were a great Super Bowl team and we had Jordan Black, Kendrell Bell, James Reed, and Samie Parker.

The only chance this team has to win games is to limit turnovers.

dirk digler
09-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Curl is not changing Solari's calls.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was

Zouk
09-25-2007, 10:24 AM
I agree, they are talented on offense. The only areas on offense that need significant improvement imo are RT, and they need a QB that can take them to the next level.

If the offense doesn't get good playcalling and the Chiefs finsih 4-12, 5-11 then Herm and co...have to be fired! And Carl peterson deserves to go with them.

Damon Haurd is talented enough? Wow - the rest of the NFL really had that wrong for the last 10 years.

King_Chief_Fan
09-25-2007, 10:25 AM

I was wrong.....YOU STILL DON"T GET IT.

I will type slowly so you can comprehend. The passing game has to open the running game. 8-11 man fronts is not, has not and never will be condusive to running the ball. You pass the ball to back the opposing teams D up. The offense is better than Verm or Curl allows them to be.

Any other team with the best TE and a young talent like Bowe will get them the ball to allow the franchise to do his thing.

Try to keep up here, we have lots of other stuff to catch up on without spending all this time trying to school you.

Sure-Oz
09-25-2007, 10:31 AM

If not i bet Gonzo and LJ will be calling for their heads. It's ridiculous how the obvious is not so obvious to this staff. Even as much as i hate Carl, he wont stand for this....

What happend to Herm 'YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" :cuss:

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 10:31 AM
That Mike Solari's voice is not loud enough to reach the players on the filed from the press box?

The QB coach calls in plays to the QB on just about every team. Curl is not changing Solari's calls.

Fair enough, but can you be absolutely sure Dicky Curls doesnt have VETO power in the offensive play calls?

so why has Herms and his sidekick Dicky Curls offenses continually gotten worse over the last 4 years or so? They are the only two common factors in this suckage...

Micjones
09-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Johnson should speak out.
This team is going to struggle if we continue to play predictable football offensively.

Coaches do cling to die-hard philosophies.
Often to a fault.

Good football coaches know how to adjust.
The others??? Well... We call them Herm Edwards.

Reerun_KC
09-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Johnson should speak out.
This team is going to struggle if we continue to play predictable football offensively.

Coaches do cling to die-hard philosophies.
Often to a fault.

Good football coaches know how to adjust.
The others??? Well... We call them Herm Edwards.

Nice!

ROFL

Mr. Plow
09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
This is not the vision of the offense long-term.

Really?

NY Jets Points per Game (2001-05)
01: 19.1
02: 22.4
03: 17.7
04: 20.8
05: 15.0

KC points per game (2006-07)
06: 20.7

I've also noticed that during Herm's tenure at NY, his teams seem to get 1 or maybe 2 offensive outbursts per year (scoring 35+ points).

If you take out all the games they scored 35+ points, which we can all agree is not typical of Herm, you get:

01: 17.6 (1 game)
02: 18.2 (3 games)
03: 17.7 (0 games)
04: 17.0 (2 games)
05: 15.0 (0 games)
06: 16.9 (3 games)

The most points a Herm Edwards led NYJ team scored in one year was 359 points. He only had 3 of 5 seasons over 300 total points.

To compare, the lowest point total KC had, and only one under 400 points, was in 2001 when they scored 320.

With his offensive "mind", you can damn near bet that we are going to be averaging between 17-20 points per game, but struggle to get it.

Over his career, Herm is averaging 19.3 points per game. I don't have the time at the moment, but I'd be curious to see how that stacks up against other coaches currently in the league.

Micjones
09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Herman Edwards is the George W. Bush of the NFL.

Zouk
09-25-2007, 10:40 AM
We will have a winning record if we score 19.3 points per game.

I would also think it's a good idea to take out 05 when they had to play with their 3rd QB. Most teams don't even have a 3rd QB.

macdawg
09-25-2007, 11:15 AM
We need to quit being so stubborn and just take what the defense gives us. Run and pass the ball consistently every game, pass more in some games, run more in others.

Those who are criticizing Larry right now I hope realize that we got our first downs & TD by passing the ball.....

trndobrd
09-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Our run offense isn't good enough to throw 0 times a game - period.

stevieray
09-25-2007, 11:25 AM
I nominate this post for "Stupid post of the day" award.

BTW Stevie, saw you on the tube, those grays are starting to win the battle!

no kidding, what was I thinking...why are they even practicing this week..? or next?

This is typical LJ. It's all about him...and while he might be the poster boy for some here...his attitude and fingerpointing could just as easily cause as much damage as it produces results. Being absent doesn't help his cause.

trndobrd
09-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Herman Edwards is the George W. Bush of the NFL.

Bull. GWB was willing to attack something.

cookster50
09-25-2007, 11:31 AM
We will have a winning record if we score 19.3 points per game.

I would also think it's a good idea to take out 05 when they had to play with their 3rd QB. Most teams don't even have a 3rd QB.
Ahh, I think I have figured out who you are. Location=DC, you are Dick freaking Curl himself!!!! Anyone else think Dick Curl is to Herm what Dick Cheney is to Bush?

cookster50
09-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Bull. GWB was willing to attack something.
rep

BIG_DADDY
09-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Herm is an idiot. I recorded the game and didn't even watch it Sunday. I am going to train on my Sunday Mornings this year instead of staying home and getting frusterated.

Lzen
09-25-2007, 12:01 PM
So all that stood between the 2006 Chiefs and the Super Bowl was better play calling?

We couldn't beat the Colts becuase they were a great Super Bowl team and we had Jordan Black, Kendrell Bell, James Reed, and Samie Parker.

Wow, talk about twisting. I never said the 2006 Chiefs were a SB team. The defensive effort against the Colts was good enough to win the game if they could have gotten something out of the offense.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Jamal Lewis - they all faced the same thing. They all had planty of 20 carry 40 yard performances against good defenses. None of them ever went back to the sideline and said stop giving me the ball.

Larry is a baby and does not have the temperament of a great player.

None of those guys had the talent that Larry Johnson does.

PastorMikH
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM

We are so predictable that EVERYONE in the NFL knows what we are going to do.

Now, if everyone on our O is better than everyone on the oponent's D the we can just shout the play out from the sidelines and there would be nothing the D could do about it, even though they know what the play is going to be.

We couldn't beat the Colts because they knew we were going to try to pound the ball and decided to focus all their efforts in stopping the run. When they stopped the run our coaching staff was lost but kept trying to establish the run anyway. Had we actually opened up the passing game like we would have with DV and Saunders, that game would have looked a lot different - WITH THE SAME PLAYERS. Shoot, Dungy and Herm could have traded players and Dungy would have still cleaned Herm's plate.

Our local HS Football coach has 7 state championships in the last 12 years. We haven't had any players leave and go to a Div1 school while several teams we have beat have. Our players aren't exceptional but the talent level of the coaching more than compensates.

Great coaching can overcome the lack of player talent. Poor coaching can negate talent. We suffer from poor coaching. And part of that poor coaching is indeed the playcalling. Shoot, we don't even give our QB the ability to audible out of a formation when he sees 8-9 guys between the TEs within 5 yards of the LOS. Nope, he has to say "Hike" and hand the ball to the RB who's supposed to run through all those guys. Huard has to be thinking at times, "There's no way this play is going to work" when he looks at the D right before the snap - there are times when it is so obvious that we fans can see it isn't going to work.

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Herm is an idiot. I recorded the game and didn't even watch it Sunday. I am going to train on my Sunday Mornings this year instead of staying home and getting frusterated.

Don't you mean flustrated?

Anyong Bluth
09-25-2007, 01:20 PM
no kidding, what was I thinking...why are they even practicing this week..? or next?

This is typical LJ. It's all about him...and while he might be the poster boy for some here...his attitude and fingerpointing could just as easily cause as much damage as it produces results. Being absent doesn't help his cause.

Just like TO, Marion Barber, Julius Jones and a number of other Cowboys players that felt that Parcells was playing too conservative, and they would have better success if he wasn't trying to blueprint his game based upon 1990.

At least the Tuna had the sense of mind to put in a QB that had much more upside than simply a vet with faded experience.

Calcountry
09-25-2007, 01:55 PM
You've got to be kidding me. There was NOWHERE for him to run most of the time yesterday. I about lost it when Solari called three running plays in a row after Drummond's kickoff return to the 45. Criminal playcalling.This is my picture of Solari's play selection process, only "the red one" is a running play, and "the green one" is a swing pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1zwbhul1g

Go ahead, it's work safe.

keg in kc
09-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Herm had it right in his presser. If LJ doesn't get mad, people bitch that he doesn't care, that's he's just cruising and not trying hard enough. If he does get mad, people bitch that he's selfish. Dude can't win.

InChiefsHeaven
09-25-2007, 02:12 PM
LJ is the least of our problems people. WORK THE PROBLEM!

kaplin42
09-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I just read this entire thread. Zook and Stevieray are completely clueless as to what’s going on. I have to wonder if they are just watching sports center and then basing their arguments off of that?

While no one is arguing that running is a good thing, most with an I.Q. above 17 would say that when the opposing D lines up with 9 or 10 in the box, an audible would be a good thing to call. Switch to a play action, or hell just go for an all out passing play that is 15 yards or longer.

One would also think that when Herm says the Friday before the game "They are very strong up the middle, we are going to avoid that and head to the outside" one would think that he actually meant it, instead of having every run play go right up the middle.

Instead of running a run, run, pass, punt or in some of the cases this last Sunday run, run, run, punt, why not try to get the D to back off the line of scrimmage. Yeah, Huard is about as threatning as Go Chiefs in a tutu with a giant mickey mouse lollypop, but he can get the ball down field here and there as we saw on Sunday. I guarantee you two, that if the offense opened up just a bit, and threw some passes down the field that were more than just quick dump offs, LJ would be having a great season now.

One more thing Zook,

If you don't think that the Chiefs lost the last playoff game against the colts because they ran too much, then you have no idea what you are talking about, and should just stop posting now. It was quite obvious that the Colts had come out to stop the run, and that Herm and Solari didn't bring any passing plays to the game.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I just read this entire thread. Zook and Stevieray are completely clueless as to what’s going on. I have to wonder if they are just watching sports center and then basing their arguments off of that?

While no one is arguing that running is a good thing, most with an I.Q. above 17 would say that when the opposing D lines up with 9 or 10 in the box, an audible would be a good thing to call. Switch to a play action, or hell just go for an all out passing play that is 15 yards or longer.

One would also think that when Herm says the Friday before the game "They are very strong up the middle, we are going to avoid that and head to the outside" one would think that he actually meant it, instead of having every run play go right up the middle.

Instead of running a run, run, pass, punt or in some of the cases this last Sunday run, run, run, punt, why not try to get the D to back off the line of scrimmage. Yeah, Huard is about as threatning as Go Chiefs in a tutu with a giant mickey mouse lollypop, but he can get the ball down field here and there as we saw on Sunday. I guarantee you two, that if the offense opened up just a bit, and threw some passes down the field that were more than just quick dump offs, LJ would be having a great season now.

One more thing Zook,

If you don't think that the Chiefs lost the last playoff game against the colts because they ran too much, then you have no idea what you are talking about, and should just stop posting now. It was quite obvious that the Colts had come out to stop the run, and that Herm and Solari didn't bring any passing plays to the game.

True dat.

tk13
09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
We probably have done things a bit backwards this year. Last year in the playoffs though, we were soft. I refuse to believe otherwise. I got to watch that Colts team numerous times last year, and every single week.... Their defense knew the other team was gonna pound the rock, and they couldn't stop them. That playoff game was the first time all season somebody didn't just manhandle them. I sat there and watched that Jacksonville game where they ran for like 400 yards. The Colts were putting everybody in the box, and Jacksonville still ran right over them. Same thing with Tennessee, etc.

Now it's obvious they were playing the run harder in the playoffs... but I was embarrassed by our offensive line and running backs in that game. We might not have ran for 300 yards but we weren't effective at all. It sounds like a Hermish thing to say, but there are geniunely times where you just have to line up and demolish the other team... especially when you're playing a team with the speed and pass defense the Colts have.

stevieray
09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
True dat.

You're a coward.

the Talking Can
09-25-2007, 03:32 PM
it's pretty ****ing simple people

Peyton Manning has said it several times, when they put 8 in the box, you audible to a pass, if they back off you audible to a run....but what the fug would the Colts know about offense...

cookster50
09-25-2007, 03:44 PM
True dat.
That's over the line.

old_geezer
09-25-2007, 04:10 PM
True dat.

Calling someone a child molester because you have a BB dissagreement about football with him? Maybe it's just me, but that's not something you call someone in jest. Childish and immature.