PDA

View Full Version : How to beat San Diego

the Talking Can
09-25-2007, 02:44 PM
By Larry Weisman, USA TODAY
Four downs. Four chances to examine a key moment, trend, performance or stat and consider how it will play out the following Sunday.

FIRST DOWN: Not charged

They were 14-2 last season, best in the NFL. And they fired their coach, Marty Schottenheimer, after yet another playoff flop.

The San Diego Chargers, nicknamed the Bolts for the lightning insignia on their helmets, are more like the Blots in their new incarnation under Norv Turner. They're 1-2, outfoxed in Foxborough a week ago by the New England Patriots and gutted in Green Bay Sunday.

Worse, the Packers simply adopted the essence of the game plan the Pats used. Get multiple wide receiver packages on the field, create space, and throw, throw, throw. The Packers tossed 45 passes and ran the ball 13 times. The Patriots threw on their first seven plays en route to a rout.

"Look at what New England did to us last week. What would you do?" asked linebacker Shaun Phillips.

In part, the problem is that San Diego is too good against the run. Mountainous nose tackle Jamal Williams can only be moved by a shift of the earth's tectonic plates, so why bother trying to excavate the middle to gain 2 yards?

"I would throw the ball," Phillips said, "and that's what Green Bay did."

The Packers ran eight times for 35 yards in the first half but passed 26. In the second half they attempted only five runs and gained 7 yards. Two followed a turnover at the San Diego 2-yard line, with Brandon Jackson carrying twice and scoring. One rush was a game-ending kneel by Brett Favre.

Green Bay, at 3-0, shows how unpredictable this game can be. The Blots at 1-2 are showing what happens when a team is predictable.

-----------

The game plan is clear as day. Even the Chargers player's have admitted it.

So what will Herm do????????

sigh

usatoday (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-09-24-four-downs_N.htm)

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-25-2007, 02:45 PM
He could have just said score more points.

StcChief
09-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Well the good teams/coaches find out how to exploit other team weekness.. Do we have 4 wide outs now
Bowe/Parker/Webb /Sippio? TG down middle?

dirk digler
09-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Herm is going to use reverse psychology and run up the middle 50 times just watch.

Molitoth
09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Herm is going to use reverse psychology and run up the middle 50 times just watch.

yup, lol.

siberian khatru
09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm sure we'll hear that we don't have Brady or Favre or Driver or Moss or any other talent to pull off that kind of foolishness.

But we do have Larry Johnson -- "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more! Or close the wall up with our Chiefs dead!"

tiptap
09-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah I don't think we have the capacity for a 4 WR set. Yet that is what you have to go with. But what is left out of this discussion is that the pass rush of SD was neutralized. I don't know if we have that ability as well. It is true we are pass blocking better than run blocking and we did well with Vikings which had 10 QB sacks. But can we will need one of the Tackles to consistently take on the rusher by himself. And we have to have some idea who that is going in to have success throwing early.

Ebolapox
09-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I'd be surprised if herm knows the meaning of the word 'adjustment'

dirk digler
09-25-2007, 03:08 PM
If I was Herm the first 3 scripted plays would all be bombs to Bowe. Set the tone for the whole game.

RealSNR
09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Bobby Sippio > Whoever the hell they put in the secondary.

Thread ovaaaar.

jidar
09-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Herm will run it up the middle because they will never expect it.

the Talking Can
09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
the secondary has been San Diego's weakness for years....you could argue they are less talented then the Vikings....

but passing doesn't burn enough clock, so we won't...

RealSNR
09-25-2007, 03:41 PM
You know your coach is stupid when they only way you can change your philosophy on offense and do what works is when you're playing from behind constantly.

JuicesFlowing
09-25-2007, 03:46 PM
the secondary has been San Diego's weakness for years....you could argue they are less talented then the Vikings....

but passing doesn't burn enough clock, so we won't...

Exactly. Remember, we also don't want to score more than 20 points, because that's just crazy arena ball. We got dangerouly close last week, I mean what if we'd scored one more touchdown? 13 was a nice comfortably number. You have to love a game plan that enforces the rule of thought: Every game must be close and come down to the last 2 mins of the game. That's great, then it's a coin flip. I bet we don't beat any team by more than 10 points this year because Herm doesn't believe in the killer mentality. Of course, if the offense would actually convert in the Red Zone, we might actually develope bigger leads in games, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's keep it close.

dirk digler
09-25-2007, 03:47 PM
You know your coach is stupid when they only way you can change your philosophy on offense and do what works is when you're playing from behind constantly.

Herm likes it from behind...

at least that is what gochiefs told me

Micjones
09-25-2007, 03:55 PM
We can go 3-wide.

kepp
09-25-2007, 04:06 PM
"Hi, this is Norv. I can't come to the phone right now so please leave a message."

Herm: "Hey, Norv...this is Herm. We're gonna pass all over you guys! Ha-ha-ha-ha!"
"There...that should do it, Solari. He'll never see the runs coming now."
Solari: "You have to press 'end' to hang up, Herm! Press it!"
Herm: "It's oooookkaaaaayyy. I don't think he heard that part."

Mecca
09-25-2007, 04:08 PM
It'll be just like this past game, the Chiefs won't pull this one out however for 2 reasons......on the road and SD has more offensive ability than Minnesota.

Alphaman
09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah I don't think we have the capacity for a 4 WR set. Yet that is what you have to go with. But what is left out of this discussion is that the pass rush of SD was neutralized. I don't know if we have that ability as well. It is true we are pass blocking better than run blocking and we did well with Vikings which had 10 QB sacks. But can we will need one of the Tackles to consistently take on the rusher by himself. And we have to have some idea who that is going in to have success throwing early.

What we can do is work off of our identity. We can line up in a 2 tightend set (with Wilson at Tightend) showing a power running attack. We can then shift Gonzo and Wilson out wide into a 4 WR set with at least one of them having a LB on him. That creates matchups for us and also takes 2 guys out of the box giving us opportunity to run LJ. We didn't throw one slant last week, but that should be back in the playbook this week. We should also at some point, fake the slant and hit Bowe or Parker over the top after the CB bit on the slant. That's how I'd attack them.

dc

the Talking Can
09-25-2007, 04:16 PM
we should have Bowe running deep slants and crossing patterns all day long...Gonzo underneath him....

keep the safeties honest

pipe dream

Iowanian
09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Exactly right.

Throw the ball, test their struggling secondary and avoid their strenth. Run to keep them honest, and use PA passes....but this week....bust out the screen passes to take advantage of their over-agressive pass rushers.

Contain LT....make Rivers beat you.

The same defensive plan the eggos should use on us.

FAX
09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Just send Sippio and Bowe deep on every play, leave everyone else in to block, and heave the rock.

Game over.

FAX

Coach
09-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Keep in mind that Tomlinson loves the halfback option pass, especially near at the goal line.

Seems like they pull that shit on us year in and year out.

teedubya
09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
You play to RUN the game. Period.

Iowanian
09-25-2007, 04:25 PM
NO way will this throw-the-ball-all-over-strategerization-arena-ball work.....

FAX
09-25-2007, 04:28 PM
I say, play jump ball in the end zone all day long with Bowe and Sippio. Downfield doesn't even have to throw it well.

FAX

Valiant
09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
You have to beat San Diego pretty much the same way you beat us..

On Defense you need to stack the box and hope Gates does not get open.. Preferably spy LT on known running downs and Gates on Passing downs.. Make Rivers beat you by throwing to his WR's..

If our defense can contain LT in rushing and LT and Gates on passing the defense has a chance.. The biggest bonus to this defense is the their Head coach neutering their offense...

On offense we need to Pass, pass and pass some more.. San Diego's front seven are good against the run, the only run plays imo that will work will be misdirection plays to the outside (ala donk runs). And keep turnovers to a zero.. We also need to stretch the field every play to keep the defense from playing everything in front of them in the 1-7 yard zone... We do not have to throw every time but we need to keep them honest by running those routes...

CoMoChief
09-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Herm is going to do exactly the opposite and try to grind out a 17-14 victory.

**** Herm, that worthless bastard.

keg in kc
09-25-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm sure we'll hear that we don't have Brady or Favre or Driver or Moss or any other talent to pull off that kind of foolishness.Then how about we talk about what we do have, rather than what we don't.

I'm sure the greatest slow on turf, led by rocket-arm Damon "Flamin'" Huard will 5-yard swing pass them into submission.

teedubya
09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
You gotta run the ball to win in this league

Rain Man
09-25-2007, 05:54 PM
It destroys the opponent's will to attack and defeat their strength. I'll bet he even has Larry point to where he's going to run ahead of time.

Rain Man
09-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Keep in mind that Tomlinson loves the halfback option pass, especially near at the goal line.

Seems like they pull that shit on us year in and year out.

That razzle-dazzle stuff shouldn't even count.

Coach
09-25-2007, 05:56 PM
That razzle-dazzle stuff shouldn't even count.

Unfortunately, it does.

FAX
09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately, it does.

Then we should try the double razzle dazzle, by God.

Or maybe the drizzle dazzle and let Downfield just go ahead and pee his pants during the pass rush.

FAX

Buehler445
09-25-2007, 07:14 PM
$10 bucks says we try a short pass on the first play (no play action). It falls incomplete, and we go back to Johnson on first down.

Mr. Laz
09-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Mountainous nose tackle Jamal Williams can only be moved by a shift of the earth's tectonic plates, so why bother trying to excavate the middle to gain 2 yards?

the same can be said about minnesota's defense ..... their strength in the middle against the run.

we ran right up the middle anyway.

our coaches are tards :shrug:

Bill S Preston
09-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Norv Turner ran Tomlinson on 77 percent of first downs against the Packers, sounds similar.

Rain Man
09-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Norv Turner is the best thing that's happened to the AFC West in years. That and Lane Kiffin getting old enough to rent a car.