PDA

View Full Version : dishwasher reccommendations? (and spider)

Groves
09-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Bought a house.

Will be installing a dishwasher.

Got the install covered, no problem.

Need the latest news on the new dishwashers, or

your consumerreports.org username and password.

Anyone?

ALSO, Even though I've grown up in Missouri I just last weekend saw my first ever Missouri tarantula. I had no idea those large beasts were here. Thought someone's pet had gotten loose, but the neighbor says they're everywhere in the fall. Who knew?

Looked just like this one, about as large as my hand:
http://www.friendsofsaguaro.org/tarantula.jpg

Frazod
09-25-2007, 09:12 PM
There are tarantulas in Missouri? I never knew that. Certainly never saw one.

Yuck. :spock:

KcMizzou
09-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Never seen one either, and I've been here 33 years. (and counting)

I'm not one to be afraid of spiders, but that one would be squashed quick-like.

Phobia
09-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Bosch. End of thread.

If you can't afford Bosch then pick up a Kenmore Elite.

If you can't afford Kenmore Elite check the Sears outlet on Front St.

If that doesn't work then make sure you get a dishwasher with stainless interior.

ferrarispider95
09-25-2007, 09:24 PM
I have see one at my parents vacation home at table rock lake and yes it was huge

Frazod
09-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Never seen one either, and I've been here 33 years. (and counting)

I'm not one to be afraid of spiders, but that one would be squashed quick-like.

Like instantly.

I tend to react to my "issues" violently. :evil:

KcMizzou
09-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Like instantly.

I tend to react to my "issues" violently. :evil:Hell yes. Kill it before it tries to kill you.

Phobia
09-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Kenmore models #1373 and #1374 are CR's best values. They're both cheaper than the Elite line and the highly rated Bosch.

KcMizzou
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Kenmore models #1373 and #1374 are CR's best values. They're both cheaper than the Elite line and the highly rated Bosch.I find that Bosch's are always high quality.

(It's my last name, and all...)

Skip Towne
09-25-2007, 09:32 PM
What? No Maytag? Their repairman has no work. They must never break down.

Simply Red
09-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Kenmore models #1373 and #1374 are CR's best values. They're both cheaper than the Elite line and the highly rated Bosch.
We have all Kitchen-Aid, all stainless. Tha best of the worst. er something :shake:

Simply Red
09-25-2007, 09:37 PM
What? No Maytag? Their repairman has no work. They must never break down.
:hmmm: :)

Groves
09-25-2007, 09:39 PM
And you'd say that the cheapest bosch is still better than the best of the rest? or not really. Thanks for looking up the CR stuff. I take it that those best values aren't rated more highly than the bosch, huh. Did they say which Bosch they tested?

Better just hand over your password, and your credit card while you're at it. I'm in Springfield, so no Front St. but this is all great info, thanks.

Phobia
09-25-2007, 09:44 PM
And you'd say that the cheapest bosch is still better than the best of the rest? or not really. Thanks for looking up the CR stuff. I take it that those best values aren't rated more highly than the bosch, huh. Did they say which Bosch they tested?

Better just hand over your password, and your credit card while you're at it. I'm in Springfield, so no Front St. but this is all great info, thanks.

No. The Bosch was rated incredibly high last year. They're no longer quite as fond of it. They tested the SHE45C0.

Kenmore has 5 of the top 8 spots. Bosch takes the 9th spot. KitchenAid and Asko round out the top 10.

This is the model we have and we absolutely love it. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/dishwashers/reports/ratings/ratings/99014755.htm

Groves
09-25-2007, 09:47 PM
linky no worky. It's only for subscribers. Thanks anyway. Great information. I'll check Lowe's for bosch and Sears for kenmore stuff.

Skip Towne
09-25-2007, 09:47 PM
We have a Whirlpool plant in Tulsa. Are they any good?

Phobia
09-25-2007, 09:57 PM
linky no worky. It's only for subscribers. Thanks anyway. Great information. I'll check Lowe's for bosch and Sears for kenmore stuff.

Sorry. It's the Kenmore (Sears) Elite 1379 http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/p_10154_12604_02213792000P?vName=Kenmore&cName=Dishwashers We didn't pay near that for it though.

Phobia
09-25-2007, 10:00 PM
We have a Whirlpool plant in Tulsa. Are they any good?
They're rated 13,14, and 16 on a list of 36. Honestly though, dishwashers are one of the most tightly contested categories I've ever seen on CR. The highest rated (Kenmore) scored an overall of 81. The Whirlpools came in at 77, 77, and 76.

In fact, 31 of the tested models scored between 68 and 81.

PastorMikH
09-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Like instantly.

I tend to react to my "issues" violently. :evil:

There's no telling what you'd end up shooting while you were standing on the chair screaming like a girl waving that gun....

As for dishwashers, I'm pretty much set for the next 10 years. After that, all the daughters will be gone and I'll have to try and get the wife to do them.

Frazod
09-25-2007, 11:45 PM
There's no telling what you'd end up shooting while you were standing on the chair screaming like a girl waving that gun....

Well, that wasn't very nice.... nlm

Simplex3
09-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Bosch. End of thread.
Bingo.

The wife and I have never owned a better appliance of any kind. Best damn thing since sliced bread.

MahiMike
09-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Bosch. End of thread.

If that doesn't work then make sure you get a dishwasher with stainless interior.

Exactly. Either pay for the Bosch or get a better wife...

Groves
09-26-2007, 06:12 AM
Which model do all you super satisfied bosch owners have there? They range from $500 to $1100 on the Lowe's site.

Dartgod
09-26-2007, 06:28 AM
There are tarantulas in Missouri? I never knew that. Certainly never saw one.

Yuck. :spock:Apparently they do exist. I never knew it either.

<A id=anchor817168 name=anchor817168>Missouri Tarantula

http://www.conservation.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/mospider/images/spider2.jpg

Aphonopelma Hentzi
"Ordinary" Tarantulas, Family Theraphosidae

This hairy species is Missouri's largest spider. Female tarantulas average approximately 50mm in length, the males 40mm. Body and legs are uniformly dark chocolate-brown, with reddish hairs on the carapace.
The tarantula's large size and shaggy appearance is frightening to many people, leading them to believe it has a ferocious nature. It actually is a shy creature, quick to evade humans. Taranthulas are typically at home in areas seldom frequented by people. They appear to prefer dry, rocky glades, where they spend their days in silk-lined burrows in abandoned rodent or reptile tunnels or in other natural cavities. Like many hunting spiders, tarantulas are active at night, when they hunt for insects such as crickets. In late summer and fall, south Missourians often see these large arachnids crossing roads. This wandering phenomenon has been documented in male tarantulas in southern california, but it has not been studied in Missouri.

Missouri distribution: the tarantula occurs typically in open, dry glades in south and central Missouri. The Missouri river presumably acts as a barrier to the spider's movement into northern Missouri.

http://www.conservation.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/mospider/kinds.htm#anchor817168

Groves
09-26-2007, 06:46 AM
or get a better wife...

She's at the absolute top. It would be an impossible task.

Looks like I should look into the Bosch.

MahiMike
09-26-2007, 07:10 AM
She's at the absolute top. It would be an impossible task.

Looks like I should look into the Bosch.

Not a slam on your wiffy there. My wife washed by hand for 13 yrs because she didn't like the cheap Sears product. Finally talked her into the Bosch and she loves it. Also very quiet.

Frosty
09-26-2007, 07:22 AM
We recently replaced our old Maytag (which my wife loved) with a new one (there was a recall). My wife hates the new one. It cleans okay but is very difficult to load. She says next time we get one, she is taking her dishes to the store and will make sure they fit first. :)

BTW, I am sooo not moving to Missouri. :shake:

Simplex3
09-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Which model do all you super satisfied bosch owners have there? They range from $500 to $1100 on the Lowe's site.
SHU33A02UC

We paid $450 at Nebraska Furniture Mart. Sumbitch is quiet as a mouse and cleans better than any dishwasher we've ever owned. Because it has an inline water heater instead of that giant heating coil at the bottom you can put plastic stuff in the bottom drawer, which it turns out is HUGE, especially if you have kids. The inline water heater brings the water up to a high enough temp that it actually sanitizes the dishes, too.

For the "warnings".

* It's cycle time is longer by probably 30%. It's no biggie since you can't hear the thing, and since it's missing that giant coil it's still cheaper to run.

* It doesn't have a garbage disposal in it, so if you're in the habit of putting whole pizzas or cakes in there you will have to clean out the little drain thingy. In the year we've owned ours we've never found a spec of food in there and we just rinse off the big parts before putting the dishes in.

StcChief
09-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Bosch. End of thread.

Kitchen Aid Superba (stainless steel inside)

Groves
09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
These are great suggestions. Gonna look around now.

seclark
09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Finally talked her into the Bosch and she loves it. Also very quiet.
same here...had ours for about a year. all i know about it is i can stand next to it while it's running and still hear the game on tv.
can't say the same about the wife.
sec