PDA

View Full Version : A Question for any Resident Chili Experts

kaplin42
09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm looking to make chili for the first time. Meat and beans type of chili, and the spicier, the better. I was hoping that there might be a few on here that would be willing to share their recipe with me, or maybe point me in the right direction.

Thanks to anyone who can help out.

bkkcoh
09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
1 can tomato juice
3 cans Brooks chili beans (2 hot, 1 mild)
2 can Brooks Tomatoes for chili
3 - 4 pounds of browned ground beef.
2 packages of Brooks Chili Seasoning

Put all incredients into crock pot and let cook for 6 - 8 hours.

Serve in a bowl with 1 T of sour cream and cheddar cheese and serve with tortilla chips.

Bill Lundberg
09-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Here's a great resource

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158497&highlight=chili

DaKCMan AP
09-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm told that real chili doesn't contain beans.

However, I pay no attention and put in kidney and black beans.

I like playing around with the different peppers - scotch bonnet, jalapeño, habanero, etc.

I usually just brown the meat, then throw it in a pot with diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried marjoram, garlic (or garlic powder), salt, lots of pepper, chili powder, cut up celery, cut up peppers (both spicy and bell), and onion. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for an hour. Throw in the beans and let it simmer another 30-45mins.

DTLB58
09-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Here's a great resource

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158497&highlight=chili

I made the recipe below from the link above last year. Awesome. Give it a try.

Ingredients - 2 lbs Ground Beef, 1 Onion, 6 cloves fresh garlic, 1 bell pepper, 3 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, 2 cans kidney beans, 43 oz diced or pressed tomatoes (canned), 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa. Jalapenos to taste.

Brown 2 lbs ground beef. When beef is browned, add onions and garlic. Cook 5-10 minutes longer. Add all remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2 hours. Enjoy.

tooge
09-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Buy some of the whole dried new mexico dried chilis. They are dark red and all the stores have them but you may have to ask where. Chop them up and add them into your chili, It doesn't matter what recipe you are using, they add great "chili" flavor and just a bit of heat. The recipe above with the cocoa sounds great. the chilis will soften.
Mine is 2 lbs ground meat (venison or beef are best) browned first
4 dried new mexico chilis chopped
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1cn of chili beans drained
1can of kidney beans drained
1/4 cup mustard
3 tbsp cumin
4tbsp chili powder
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 onoin diced
One bay leaf
1 tablespoon cayanne pepper
brown meat, add with all the rest in a crock pot or large pot. Stew over low heat for 2 to 3 hours. It rocks.

penguinz
09-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Real chili does not have beans,onions, bell peppers, etc...

DaKCMan AP
09-26-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for confirming post #4 :thumb:

Fish
09-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Real tits do not have silicone.... I still enjoy the ones that do....

melbar
09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
I have a book with the top grand champions and they all include ground cumin.

penguinz
09-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Real tits do not have silicone.... I still enjoy the ones that do....Sure you do. In a picture does not count. ;)

sedated
09-26-2007, 12:52 PM
ancho chiles
cascabel chiles
dried arbol chiles

Donger
09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I have a book with the top grand champions and they all include ground cumin.

That would explain why I feel like crap and/or vomit every time I eat chili.

JBucc
09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
That would explain why I feel like crap and/or vomit every time I eat chili.
I can usually judge how good chili was by how many hours I'm in the bathroom the next day.

sedated
09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
3 cans Brooks chili beans (2 hot, 1 mild)
2 can Brooks Tomatoes for chili
2 packages of Brooks Chili Seasoning

I don't think this counts as making chili any more than opening a can of Hormel

penguinz
09-26-2007, 01:01 PM
I can usually judge how good chili was by how many hours I'm in the bathroom the next day.
I don;t judge it by the time in the bathroom but by how much it burns coming out.

Fish
09-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Sure you do. In a picture does not count. ;)

Hey.... I felt one once.... I got kicked out of the pool after that though.... :harumph:

sedated
09-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I don;t judge it by the time in the bathroom but by how much it burns coming out.

and how many hours other people refuse to go in the bathroom

noa
09-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I like a lot of stuff already listed, so on top of other suggestions, I would also recommend adding some Guinness.

kaplin42
09-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Fantastic Everyone. Thank you all very much. Looks like this Sunday I will be making chili for the game. Now if I only I was gonna be at a charger fans house so I could wreck their bathroom instead of mine.

bkkcoh
09-27-2007, 09:30 AM
I don't think this counts as making chili any more than opening a can of Hormel

Kind of got a point there, but it is still quite tasty....

Phobia
09-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I'll agree with everything except for the onions bit. Onions add tons of flavor to mine. However, you wouldn't know they were in there by the time it's all done.

Whoarethechefs
09-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Al’s Gringo Chili of the Gods

This takes all day to make, but it’s worth it

What you’ll need,

1 rack of cooked BBQ spare ribs ( I now always cook one extra slab so I have one in the freezer just for Chili)
I pound pork chorizo
2 cans black beans (Or make your own, you’ll need a couple/few cups).
1 Onion chopped
2 Jalapenos chopped
1 Bell pepper chopped
1 Tbs Cumin
1 Tsp salt
1 bottle of your favorite brew

Simmer the Ribs in about 3 quarts of water + the bottle of beer in a large stockpot until meat is fallin off the bones. (About 3 hours)

Pull the Pork out, de-bone / shred and put to side.

Bring the liquid up to a slight boil

Make meatballs about ¾ of an inch in size with the chorizo and drop in the boiling pot, drop it back down to a simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes.

Pull the meatballs out and set aside.

Let the liquid in the pot cool for a bit, then pull off as much of the fat floating on the top as you can. (Chorizo packs a lot of fat)

In another stock pot, sauté the onion, jalapeno and bell pepper until just done.

Add cumin and salt, continue to sauté for a few minutes.

Add the reserve liquid, pork, chorizo balls and black beans.

and Voila, the best chili ever made. (By me anyways =)

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2007, 10:48 AM

All good (although I'm no fan of chorizo), but where's the heat?

kaplin42
09-27-2007, 10:50 AM

What you’ll need,

1 rack of cooked BBQ spare ribs ( I now always cook one extra slab so I have one in the freezer just for Chili)
I pound pork chorizo
1 Onion chopped
2 Jalapenos chopped
1 Bell pepper chopped
1 Tbs Cumin
1 Tsp salt

Simmer the Ribs in about 3 quarts of water + the bottle of beer in a large stockpot until meat is fallin off the bones. (About 3 hours)

Make meatballs about ¾ of an inch in size with the chorizo and drop in the boiling pot, drop it back down to a simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes.

Let the liquid in the pot cool for a bit, then pull off as much of the fat floating on the top as you can. (Chorizo packs a lot of fat)

In another stock pot, sauté the onion, jalapeno and bell pepper until just done.

I'm ****ing drooling right now. That sounds so good.

penguinz
09-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I'll agree with everything except for the onions bit. Onions add tons of flavor to mine. However, you wouldn't know they were in there by the time it's all done.That is fine. What I meant was that the only 'chunks' or texture in the chili should be meat.

Phobia
09-27-2007, 10:55 AM

What you’ll need,

I pound pork chorizo
1 Onion chopped
2 Jalapenos chopped
1 Bell pepper chopped
1 Tbs Cumin
1 Tsp salt

That sounds really awesome.

It reminds me of the time I used pork tenderloin to create a shredded pork concoction which I ultimately used in burritos. The point I'm trying to make is that I could have achieved the same thing with a much cheaper cut of meat. Smoke up a pork roast or butt and use that instead of your ribs. It's cheaper and you'll have a lot more meat.

Phobia
09-27-2007, 10:55 AM
That is fine. What I meant was that the only 'chunks' or texture in the chili should be meat.
Oh. We definitely agree.

Fire Me Boy!
09-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I make some mean venison chili... that stuff is incredible. Alas, I cannot share the recipe.

Phobia
09-27-2007, 11:05 AM
I make some mean venison chili... that stuff is incredible. Alas, I cannot share the recipe.

Yeah, I'm starting to get a little protective of my "secrets" as well, especially on the stuff I do really, really well.

Whoarethechefs
09-27-2007, 11:08 AM
All good (although I'm no fan of chorizo), but where's the heat?

From the Chorizo for the red heat / Jalapenos for the green heat =)

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2007, 11:15 AM
From the Chorizo for the red heat / Jalapenos for the green heat =)

Hopefully the chorizo is hot (again, I don't eat it so I don't know) because jalapeno doesn't really bring the heat. ;)

bkkcoh
09-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I'm starting to get a little protective of my "secrets" as well, especially on the stuff I do really, really well.

Isn't that a real small list!!!!! :p :shake: ROFL

Whoarethechefs
09-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Hopefully the chorizo is hot (again, I don't eat it so I don't know) because jalapeno doesn't really bring the heat. ;)

In Tucson, at least from my experience the chorizo comes in one heat...

F****** Hot!

bkkcoh
09-27-2007, 11:21 AM
In Tucson, at least from my experience the chorizo comes in one heat...

F****** Hot!

Chirizo is also good to put in cheese dip. Adds a nice little kick to it also. :)

Fire Me Boy!
09-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I share most of my recipes... no one gets my beans (anymore), no one gets my brisket, and no one gets my venison chili.

Fire Me Boy!
09-27-2007, 11:25 AM
So... ya want hot chili?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_16944,00.html

Phobia
09-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Isn't that a real small list!!!!! :p :shake: ROFL

Yeah, it really is.

It's beans, ribs, and chili. But the chili recipe is based on my FIL's so I couldn't share that even if I were willing. I'm sure the list will grow over the years. I've already published several of my best efforts in a magazine.

DomerNKC
09-27-2007, 06:08 PM
I made the recipe below from the link above last year. Awesome. Give it a try.

Ingredients - 2 lbs Ground Beef, 1 Onion, 6 cloves fresh garlic, 1 bell pepper, 3 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, 2 cans kidney beans, 43 oz diced or pressed tomatoes (canned), 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa. Jalapenos to taste.

Brown 2 lbs ground beef. When beef is browned, add onions and garlic. Cook 5-10 minutes longer. Add all remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2 hours. Enjoy.real men would never put chocolate in chili....never!!!!!

DTLB58
09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
real men would never put chocolate in chili....never!!!!!

I agree, I left it out.

DomerNKC
09-27-2007, 07:01 PM
I agree, I left it out.good call.

Fish
09-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I make a spicy chicken chili that I'd love to take to a planet tailgate sometime...

Phobia
09-27-2007, 07:23 PM
I'd like to announce a Planet Tailgate at my house in 20 minutes.

Hog Rider
09-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Find recipes online
Throw in all the shit you like.
Add a can of beer, or some wine, or some port, or some brandy, or whatever.
Eat some.
Freeze some.
Enjoy!

If it turns out crappy throw it away and start over, next time leave out what made it crappy.

RJ
09-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Buy some of the whole dried new mexico dried chilis. They are dark red and all the stores have them but you may have to ask where. Chop them up and add them into your chili, It doesn't matter what recipe you are using, they add great "chili" flavor and just a bit of heat. The recipe above with the cocoa sounds great. the chilis will soften.
Mine is 2 lbs ground meat (venison or beef are best) browned first
4 dried new mexico chilis chopped
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1cn of chili beans drained
1can of kidney beans drained
1/4 cup mustard
3 tbsp cumin
4tbsp chili powder
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 onoin diced
One bay leaf
1 tablespoon cayanne pepper
brown meat, add with all the rest in a crock pot or large pot. Stew over low heat for 2 to 3 hours. It rocks.

An added step that is well worthwhile:

Cover those chilis in boiling water for about 20 minutes to soften, then put the dried chili and water in a blender and pulse a few times. If you want it really smooth pour it all through a sieve before adding to your chili.

edit****OK, that's a few added steps, but still worth the time.

RJ
09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
real men would never put chocolate in chili....never!!!!!

All I have to say is.....mole'.