PDA

View Full Version : Religion as a topic.....

Logical
09-26-2007, 07:44 PM
do you enjoy religion as a topic in threads.

The reason I ask is one of the other long time poster has a canipition fit when religious topics are posted and I find that strange. Whether the topic is Buddhism, Muslim, Jewish, or Christian in tradition or even about atheism I enjoy the hell out of those threads. So I thought I would find out what others think.

No poll forthcoming.

DaFace
09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm pretty indifferent. Some people enjoy discussing religion. Some people don't. Whatever.

Boise_Chief
09-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I do.

DaKCMan AP
It's a very divisive topic in which no one is going to change opinion or point of view. Just a lot of hot air.

ROYC75
Oh boy, popcorn time ......... :drool:

Iowanian
09-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Not here.

Too many non-believers are too shitty about an a topic that is sensitive to the majority in the same lines of calling mothers whores.

For people that don't care about Religion....they spend alot of time and energy belittling it and talking about it.

Spott
09-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Suck it.

ChiTown
09-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Not here.

Too many non-believers are too shitty about an a topic that is sensitive to the majority in the same lines of calling mothers whores.

For people that don't care about Religion....they spend alot of time and energy belittling it and talking about it.

Di-toe

crazycoffey
09-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Part of me enjoys the different perspectives, I'm not ashamed of my beliefs, nor threatened by other's, but the levels of disrespect that breeds from the threads are very very tiring.

I probably dislike the cop bashing threads more, if you want to know the truth... :p

boogblaster
09-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Believe what you like ... my view, there has to be more than this ...

cdcox
09-26-2007, 08:02 PM
I've pretty much given up on trying to discuss religion on the planet. Very few worthwhile discussions.

pikesome
09-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Not here.

I've pretty much given up on trying to discuss religion on the planet. Very few worthwhile discussions.

I agree with these.

Bob Dole
09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Part of me enjoys the different perspectives, I'm not ashamed of my beliefs, nor threatened by other's, but the levels of disrespect that breeds from the threads are very very tiring.

I probably dislike the cop bashing threads more, if you want to know the truth... :p

So you're saying cops are more important than religion?

Simplex3
09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Not here.

Speaking of some people getting butthurt...

pikesome
09-26-2007, 08:16 PM

I believe in God but if I was staring down the barrel of a gun I would sure hope God would send me a policeman.

Dave Lane
09-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I love em but don't get me started :)

Dave

Iowanian
09-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Speaking of some people getting butthurt...

Speaking of someone who can't go out of his way to be a raging Dick reguarding anything nearing religion.

chagrin
09-26-2007, 08:20 PM
yay, another religious thread, don't you ever quit dude, ever?

crazycoffey
09-26-2007, 08:20 PM

No, I'm not saying that at all....

Bob Dole
09-26-2007, 08:21 PM
No, I'm not saying that at all....

How about cookies? Where do cookies rate?

ChiTown
09-26-2007, 08:22 PM

Duh?

dtebbe
09-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Why don't we just stick to football, BBQ, and pooping? :shrug:

DT

Logical

I do agree that some people cannot seem to avoid taking it personally and that is sad.

Iowanian

I'm pretty sure they're one of the snacks of choice for those gaining real combat experience on the dangerous daytime Guitar Hero battlefields.

mcan
09-26-2007, 08:24 PM
I love talking about things that matter to people. As long as people can refrain from attacking and refrain from getting defensive I'm all for it. In fact, I encourage that sort of talk...

Here's what bothers me:

1. Non-Believers calling Believers "stupid" because they believe.

2. Believers confusing a Non-Believer's critisism of a particular belief as an attack and get defensive.

3. People who don't listen but love to talk.

4. People who think they know everything there is to know already and refuse to learn from someone who believes other than they do.

Logical
09-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Oreos or Fig Newtons?

mcan
09-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Oreos or Fig Newtons?

Excuse me... A cookie is just a cookie, but a Newton is fruit and cake!

Bob Dole
09-26-2007, 08:26 PM
I love talking about things that matter to people. As long as people can refrain from attacking and refrain from getting defensive I'm all for it. In fact, I encourage that sort of talk...

**** you! Just **** you right in the goat ass! Who the **** are you to post something like that? Maybe you should be pointing the finger at yourself? Have you ever thought about that? Hmmmmm???

pikesome
09-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Excuse me... A cookie is just a cookie, but a Newton is fruit and cake!

Newtons are nasty not "fruit and cake".

Simplex3
**** you! Just **** you right in the ass! Who the **** are you to post something like that? Maybe you should be pointing the finger at yourself? Have you ever thought about that? Hmmmmm???
I hate that f**king guy. He's an idiot.

Logical

That is too bad because you always add interesting and factual information.

crazycoffey
09-26-2007, 08:28 PM

I don't like Cookies, I try to clear them on a regular basis

Logical
09-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Excuse me... A cookie is just a cookie, but a Newton is fruit and cake!See there you go making this about gays.:p

Jilly
09-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I love em but don't get me started :)

Dave

I like the ones Dave and Holy Hand...whatever his name is post in....

mcan
09-26-2007, 08:32 PM
**** you! Just **** you right in the goat ass! Who the **** are you to post something like that? Maybe you should be pointing the finger at yourself? Have you ever thought about that? Hmmmmm???

How do you know about my goat? :hmmm:

mcan
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Newtons are nasty not "fruit and cake".

Apparently you didn't watch as much TV as I did back in the early '90s. I do believe that was the slogan. :NERD:

FAX
09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I do agree that some people cannot seem to avoid taking it personally and that is sad.

The problem, Mr. Dr. Doom, is that the majority of "true believers" are "true believers" precisely because it is personal. I've noticed that this applies to many "non-believers", as well.

I'm only passing through life, so I would not presume to offer my opinion on this thread topic other than to say that most of the "religious" threads I've read appear to bring out the worst in people and that seems somewhat pointless to me. Unless, of course, one derives some enjoyment out of watching people get pissed off at each other, in which case, the onus falls on the participants - not the thread starter.

FAX

mcan
09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
See there you go making this about gays.:p

I like how you highlited "fruit" there, as if I wasn't going to get it otherwise... Maybe you should hang out with quicker witted people for awhile. Develop a little trust in your audience. :)

Stinger
09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
:)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NOdAmGexeZ4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NOdAmGexeZ4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

pikesome
09-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Apparently you didn't watch as much TV as I did back in the early '90s. I do believe that was the slogan. :NERD:

I saw them and after pinching a few from my Grandmother who loved them I got to learn just how nasty the really are. It was one of those early lessons about advertising.

Logical
09-26-2007, 08:41 PM
I like how you highlited "fruit" there, as if I wasn't going to get it otherwise... Maybe you should hang out with quicker witted people for awhile. Develop a little trust in your audience. :)That was not for you that was for Chiefaroo when he finally gets around to reading the thread.;)

Chieficus
09-26-2007, 08:42 PM
I love religious discussion, so long as they don't saturate the board or are obvious pot-stirring digs...

My only problem with it is that, I think, for good discussion to occur it takes time and thought, unless you're just wanting to bicker back and forth...

And I don't know how some of you all do it (and quite possibly I might not want to know what some of you all do with your time...) but I just don't have time for more than maybe a day's worth of discussion every now and then...

Scorp
09-26-2007, 08:44 PM
SUCK IT JESUS!

pikesome
09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
SUCK IT JESUS!

Point, set, match.

Buck
09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Believe_Me, this is not the place to talk about Religion.

Logical
09-26-2007, 08:53 PM

And I don't know how some of you all do it (and quite possibly I might not want to know what some of you all do with your time...) but I just don't have time for more than maybe a day's worth of discussion every now and then...Priorities man, priorties.

...But, seriously, I have the type of job where I am either so busy I am consumed by it for days at a time, or so slow that I have lots of idle time.

Chieficus
09-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Priorities man, priorties.

...But, seriously, I have the type of job where I am either so busy I am consumed by it for days at a time, or so slow that I have lots of idle time.

I understand...

Heck, I used to have a lot more time for this (and the board in general) back when I was in college... now I have a job in which I'm consumed by it just about everyday and even some "off days"...

But that's okay. I'm doing what I love... :)

Jenson71
09-26-2007, 09:06 PM
I like them. I've started a few and have posted in many. I like the sharing of ideas, but I agree that it can get ugly. Some people, believers and non-, can be frustrating to deal with.

Frazod
09-26-2007, 09:24 PM

The reason I ask is one of the other long time poster has a canipition fit when religious topics are posted and I find that strange. Whether the topic is Buddhism, Muslim, Jewish, or Christian in tradition or even about atheism I enjoy the hell out of those threads. So I thought I would find out what others think.

No poll forthcoming.

You know, I'd be happy to post all those PMs we exchanged, you jackass. In fact, I'll do just that:

At 11:36 last night, Jim wrote:

Check with Jeff (morph), I PM'd him early on game day and asked him to lock the thread, for some reason he did not want to do so.

I know I am great at creating controversy and yes I enjoy it. But I offended some people I did not intend to and for that reason I wanted it locked.

Sorry Tim if you don't believe me but it is true.

Jim

To which I responded a minute later:

Whatever. Like you didn't know the reaction SUCK IT JESUS would get. I'm way past sick of you pulling this shit.

At 12:05 came this response:

Well evidently DEnise was right, you don't have the self control to avoid threads that bother you. You say you know what I am up to in all threads I create, yet you go on and post in them anyway. So is that my fault or yours?

At 12:41 I fired back with this:

I look at this way. You're being a dick, and I'm calling you on it. It's really that simple.

Eventually, this whole issue will reach critical mass, enough people will raise hell, and all this religious bullshit will get banished to DC where it belongs, which is exactly what I want. And every stupid thread you post like this brings my little dream one step closer to reality. So by all means, Jim, keep up the good work.

You stir your shit, and I'll stir mine.

At 1:15 Jim responded with this:

So who really is the religious bigot, the guy who starts threads that causes people to think over and discuss religious issues, or the guy who cannot stand to see religious topics in the main forum?

And this morning, I ended this little exchange with this:

You don't want people to think; you want people to be pissed off for your twisted amusement. Again, you seem to think I just signed up yesterday. Being annoyed by your continuing efforts to be the Madonna of ChiefsPlanet certainly does not make me a bigot. Perhaps you should find a dictionary and look up that word.

And quit sending me these lame ass PMs. I really have nothing further to say to you about this that I won't say in the public forum, nor do I really give a shit what you think about it.

So, as you can all see, I am "having a canipition fit" about CONTENTIOUS religious threads specifically designed to PISS PEOPLE OFF and CREATE HATE AND DISCONTENT in the MAIN FORUM which portrays the entire BB in a bad light. I want this stuff moved to DC. I have publicly stated this many times. Nowhere did I ever state they shouldn't be posted at all. I have been clear and forthright in my desire to get contentious religious topics to DC for years. I get tired of them, and I get tired of Jim stirring shit just to do it. I have also made this abundantly clear for years. Jim has rather disengenously attempted to twist my motives publicly and privately. And now this f#cking thread.

Well, now you can all see the truth.

Up your ass, Jim. Sincerely. 4321

GarySpFc
09-26-2007, 09:25 PM

How would you enjoy it if I insulted your mother the same way you did my Lord Jesus in the last thread?

Logical
09-26-2007, 09:35 PM
How would you enjoy it if I insulted your mother the same way you did my Lord Jesus in the last thread?

Fine she is dead too.

Logical
09-26-2007, 09:39 PM
You know, I'd be happy to post all those PMs we exchanged, you jackass. In fact, I'll do just that:

At 11:36 last night, Jim wrote:

Check with Jeff (morph), I PM'd him early on game day and asked him to lock the thread, for some reason he did not want to do so.

I know I am great at creating controversy and yes I enjoy it. But I offended some people I did not intend to and for that reason I wanted it locked.

Sorry Tim if you don't believe me but it is true.

Jim

To which I responded a minute later:

Whatever. Like you didn't know the reaction SUCK IT JESUS would get. I'm way past sick of you pulling this shit.

At 12:05 came this response:

Well evidently DEnise was right, you don't have the self control to avoid threads that bother you. You say you know what I am up to in all threads I create, yet you go on and post in them anyway. So is that my fault or yours?

At 12:41 I fired back with this:

I look at this way. You're being a dick, and I'm calling you on it. It's really that simple.

Eventually, this whole issue will reach critical mass, enough people will raise hell, and all this religious bullshit will get banished to DC where it belongs, which is exactly what I want. And every stupid thread you post like this brings my little dream one step closer to reality. So by all means, Jim, keep up the good work.

You stir your shit, and I'll stir mine.

At 1:15 Jim responded with this:

So who really is the religious bigot, the guy who starts threads that causes people to think over and discuss religious issues, or the guy who cannot stand to see religious topics in the main forum?

And this morning, I ended this little exchange with this:

You don't want people to think; you want people to be pissed off for your twisted amusement. Again, you seem to think I just signed up yesterday. Being annoyed by your continuing efforts to be the Madonna of ChiefsPlanet certainly does not make me a bigot. Perhaps you should find a dictionary and look up that word.

And quit sending me these lame ass PMs. I really have nothing further to say to you about this that I won't say in the public forum, nor do I really give a shit what you think about it.

So, as you can all see, I am "having a canipition fit" about CONTENTIOUS religious threads specifically designed to PISS PEOPLE OFF and CREATE HATE AND DISCONTENT in the MAIN FORUM which portrays the entire BB in a bad light. I want this stuff moved to DC. I have publicly stated this many times. Nowhere did I ever state they shouldn't be posted at all. I have been clear and forthright in my desire to get contentious religious topics to DC for years. I get tired of them, and I get tired of Jim stirring shit just to do it. I have also made this abundantly clear for years. Jim has rather disengenously attempted to twist my motives publicly and privately. And now this f#cking thread.

Well, now you can all see the truth.

LOL I have nothing I am embarrassed by in those PMs, all posting them did is point out that you were the poster I was referencing but not mentioning. Your choice.:shrug:

By the way I did not suggest you said they should not be posted, go back an re-read the thread post.

GarySpFc
09-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Fine she is dead too.

Do you believe there is a right and wrong?

Logical
09-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Do you believe there is a right and wrong?

I believe it is different for every individual based on their personal moral code. Only things codified as criminal by the law are absolute right and wrongs.

Mr Luzcious
09-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I do rather enjoy them. I don't see the need to get offended whenever someone disagrees with you though..
I don't care if you think everything I say is bs, you're entitled to your opinion.. even though you are wrong :p

Logical
09-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, now you can all see the truth as I believe it to be.

Fixed the last part of your post Tim, by the way I still like and respect you. I find your anger a little strange, especially since you don't lay claim to being a strong Christian, why the Suck it thread should bother you so significantly suprised me. I tried to make it clear that I attempted to have the thread locked but you seemed not to care. Did you even contact Jeff to try and verify that what I claimed was true. Or did you assume I lied? I would never assume you lied and I suppose I should be angry, but knowing your hare trigger rage impulse I am not.

Logical
09-26-2007, 09:55 PM
I do rather enjoy them. I don't see the need to get offended whenever someone disagrees with you though..
I don't care if you think everything I say is bs, you're entitled to your opinion.. even though you are wrong :p

That pretty much summarizes my belief in every single post I make.:p

Mr. Kotter
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
"Suck it," Jimbo.... :D

Seriously, though....religious topics can be fun, enlightening, and entertaining. Unfortunately, here at the Planet....there are some of us who enjoy stirring shit and being provocative.

However, stirring shit and being provocative....inexorably leads to insulting behavior and rhetoric, even unintentionally, and denigration of the heartfelt beliefs and opinions of rational and reasonable people--even if you disagree.

Therefore, religious threads....at a minimum, ought to be confined to D.C. IMHO. The aggrevation and pissin' contests and mental masturbation and self delusion that they necessarily require....don't belong in the Lounge, IMHO.

Noobs and the "normal" people here don't need to wade through that shit, without a condom IMHO.

:shake:

Frazod
09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Fixed the last part of your post Tim, by the way I still like and respect you. I find your anger a little strange, especially since you don't lay claim to being a strong Christian, why the Suck it thread should bother you so significantly suprised me. I tried to make it clear that I attempted to have the thread locked but you seemed not to care. Did you even contact Jeff to try and verify that what I claimed was true. Or did you assume I lied? I would never assume you lied and I suppose I should be angry, but knowing your hare trigger rage impulse I am not.

Yes, manipulate my post just as you attempt to manipulate everything else. You repeatedly ignore my answers and ask the same questions over and over. If you were a f#cking idiot, I'd understand. But you're not. You're just being deliberately obtuse, milking yet another response out of me and prolonging your attention whoring. In the end, that's all it is, isn't it? - this is how you get attention, posting contentious crap and then watching people verbally assail one another, which is exactly what you want, so you feel empowered by it. Then you feign innocence and say "well, I never meant to upset anybody." That's bullshit, a lie, whatever you want to call it. You knew exactly the reaction you'd get with SUCK IT JESUS. Did you perhaps realize that you went too far? What difference does it make? It doesn't excuse what you did or why you did it.

And no, I'm NOT religious, as you well know. I'm simply sick of all the strife. SUCK IT JESUS simply doesn't belong on the main forum. Would you walk down the street saying "SUCK IT JESUS" to strangers? Of course you wouldn't - I've met you, Jim, and I know that you ACT OUT HERE BECAUSE IN REAL LIFE YOU'RE AS TIMID AS A F#CKING CHURCHMOUSE. And that, Jim, is the difference between us - I don't have a persona here; I'm just myself.

stevieray
09-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Religion as a topic is already a powder keg, religious topics that are prejudiced and discriminative is just lighting the fuse, IMO.

Logical
09-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes, manipulate my post just as you attempt to manipulate everything else. You repeatedly ignore my answers and ask the same questions over and over. If you were a f#cking idiot, I'd understand. But you're not. You're just being deliberately obtuse, milking yet another response out of me and prolonging your attention whoring. In the end, that's all it is, isn't it? - this is how you get attention, posting contentious crap and then watching people verbally assail one another, which is exactly what you want, so you feel empowered by it. Then you feign innocence and say "well, I never meant to upset anybody." That's bullshit, a lie, whatever you want to call it. You knew exactly the reaction you'd get with SUCK IT JESUS. Did you perhaps realize that you went too far? What difference does it make? It doesn't excuse what you did or why you did it.

And no, I'm NOT religious, as you well know. I'm simply sick of all the strife. SUCK IT JESUS simply doesn't belong on the main forum. Would you walk down the street saying "SUCK IT JESUS" to strangers? Of course you wouldn't - I've met you, Jim, and I know that you ACT OUT HERE BECAUSE IN REAL LIFE YOU'RE AS TIMID AS A F#CKING CHURCHMOUSE. And that, Jim, is the difference between us - I don't have a persona here; I'm just myself.

LOL that you think I am timid, ask my son, endo, or Big Daddy, if I can be described as timid. I am somewhat shy until I get to know people, but I am far from timid. Too bad you cannot meet all the people who work for and with me so you can ask them if they view me as timid.

I won't reveal who contacted me in regards to the suck it thrread unless they say I can, but I will reveal that my son did, and even if no one else had, that would have been enough to convince me I had went too far and asked for it to be locked. Sure I was trying to stir the pot, hey I admitted that already in the replacement for the thread post. Big deal, you need to get over it. You used to be a shit stirrer yourself once upon a time, fortunately for you the evidence is lost to the great database purge.

I still like and respect you and your anger and belligerant statements do nothing to change that.

KCJohnny
09-26-2007, 10:43 PM

If we as Americans cannot accept that others have heartfelt convictions about eternal matters, we are more unjust than all men.

Wise men respect the consciences of their fellow men; attacking another's religion only provokes strife and intolerance.

Cyber behavior is, as Tim aptly points out, often a substitute for personal timidity.

Go Chiefs!
KCJ

Logical
09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
"Suck it," Jimbo.... :D

Seriously, though....religious topics can be fun, enlightening, and entertaining. Unfortunately, here at the Planet....there are some of us who enjoy stirring shit and being provocative.

However, stirring shit and being provocative....inexorably leads to insulting behavior and rhetoric, even unintentionally, and denigration of the heartfelt beliefs and opinions of rational and reasonable people--even if you disagree.

Therefore, religious threads....at a minimum, ought to be confined to D.C. IMHO. The aggrevation and pissin' contests and mental masturbation and self delusion that they necessarily require....don't belong in the Lounge, IMHO.

Noobs and the "normal" people here don't need to wade through that shit, without a condom IMHO.

:shake:

What is funny is football/sports may be the common reason we are all at this site, but most of us came here so we could discuss anything in the main forum that came to our minds. A lot of the newer people don't know that, but Frazod (Tim) certainly should. Yes DC was created to segregate the politics and DEnise (wink) from the Lounge, but DC was not intended to be the common residence for all things not football.

Mr. Kotter
09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
LOL that you think I am timid, ask my son, endo, or Big Daddy, if I can be described as timid. I am somewhat shy until I get to know people, but I am far from timid. Too bad you cannot meet all the people who work for and with me so you can ask them if they view me as timid.

I won't reveal who contacted me in regards to the suck it thrread unless they say I can, but I will reveal that my son did, and even if no one else had, that would have been enough to convince me I had went too far and asked for it to be locked. Sure I was trying to stir the pot, hey I admitted that already in the replacement for the thread post. Big deal, you need to get over it. You used to be a shit stirrer yourself once upon a time, fortunately for you the evidence is lost to the great database purge.

I still like and respect you and your anger and belligerant statements do nothing to change that.

You are not timid.

You are the poster-child for passive-aggressive shit-stirring provocateur.

Tim is right on target; if anyone would know, it's me. And you know it.

What is funny is football/sports may be the common reason we are all at this site, but most of us came here so we could discuss anything in the main forum that came to our minds. A lot of the newer people don't know that, but Frazod (Tim) certainly should. Yes DC was created to segregate the politics and DEnise (wink) from the Lounge, but DC was not intended to be the common residence for all things not football.

Religion is not football.

However, it is much, much more like politics and Duhnise....than football.

That is why many, if not most "religious" topics belong in D.C.....IMHO.

At least passive-aggresive shit-stirring "religious" topics. :shake:

Logical
09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
If we as Americans cannot accept that others have heartfelt convictions about eternal matters, we are more unjust than all men.

Wise men respect the consciences of their fellow men; attacking another's religion only provokes strife and intolerance.

Cyber behavior is, as Tim aptly points out, often a substitute for personal timidity.

Go Chiefs!
KCJ

John we have spoken over the phone and I sought you out, not the other way around, was that me being timid?

Logical
09-26-2007, 10:48 PM
You are not timid.

You are the poster-child for passive-aggressive shit-stirring provocateur.

Tim is right on target; if anyone would know, it's me. And you know it.

When have I ever tried to say I was not a shit stirrer? Seriously Rob, can you think of a time that I did not admit I enjoy it?

jAZ
09-26-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm curious why the planet has never had a poll to move all religion discussions to the DC (and rename it something like "Politics & Religion".

Seems like a no brainer, but after 7 years, it's never happened. I'm suprised. Particularly given how pissed some people get when the religion threads exist in the lounge.

Frazod
09-26-2007, 10:55 PM

Yeah, you're a real Dirty Harry, aren't you? That's why you speak so softly you can barely be heard and rarely look people in the eye. I'm sure you're different in your comfort zone, tormenting your kids or employees. But when you're among those beyond your personal control, you're basically a turtle looking for a shell.

And no, I'm not a shit stirrer. Never have been. Do I react passionately to things? Do I dig in on issues and get nasty? Sometimes too nasty? Absolutely. But I never engage in such antics unless I have (or believe I have) a good reason for doing so. And I have NEVER posted contentious crap like you do just to offend the core of the community for my own personal amusement.

Mr. Kotter
09-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm curious why the planet has never had a poll to move all religion discussions to the DC (and rename it something like "Politics & Religion".

Seems like a no brainer, but after 7 years, it's never happened. I'm suprised. Particularly given how pissed some people get when the religion threads exist in the lounge.

Go forth, and make the poll.

I'd be shocked to see it not happen.... :shrug:

Then you could claim at least some value to this place.... :hmmm:

;)

Frazod
09-26-2007, 10:59 PM
I wish somebody would post the poll, but it shouldn't be me. I'm too invested in this issue.

Bob Dole
09-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Would it help if Bob Dole would come clean and finally admit that he's timid?

Phobia
09-26-2007, 11:21 PM

Several of your comments have been meaningful to me whether I responded or not. I'd like it if you continue to share.

Logical
09-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Yeah, you're a real Dirty Harry, aren't you? That's why you speak so softly you can barely be heard and rarely look people in the eye. I'm sure you're different in your comfort zone, tormenting your kids or employees. But when you're among those beyond your personal control, you're basically a turtle looking for a shell.

And no, I'm not a shit stirrer. Never have been. Do I react passionately to things? Do I dig in on issues and get nasty? Sometimes too nasty? Absolutely. But I never engage in such antics unless I have (or believe I have) a good reason for doing so. And I have NEVER posted contentious crap like you do just to offend the core of the community for my own personal amusement.

Yup you never shit stir

http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=8268
http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=13797
http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=13933
http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=13982

I am sure you were not meaning to stir the shit with the next few for sure
http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=14108

Here you are trying to be the first to segregate the board eventually you will get your way.

http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=4586

Logical
09-26-2007, 11:33 PM

And no, I'm not a shit stirrer. Never have been. Do I react passionately to things? Do I dig in on issues and get nasty? Sometimes too nasty? Absolutely. But I never engage in such antics unless I have (or believe I have) a good reason for doing so. And I have NEVER posted contentious crap like you do just to offend the core of the community for my own personal amusement.Tim, I can see the rage subsiding, better shoot a refrigerator to get yourself stoked backup, or maybe you can kill the guys cutting your cable or DTV connections. I imagine there is some poor customer service peon at DTV that you can vent at since you are not getting through to me.

I guess I have the money to afford to speak softly when I am in public and don't need the alcohol reinforced timerity that you evidently are so proud of in you dealings in real life with fellow Planet posters. I say good for you Cliff Claven of ChiefsPlanet, yell on, we all love hearing your stories.

Bob Dole
09-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Frazod sold Bob Dole a pair of squeaky shoes.

Scorp
09-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I made a poll, it is a good poll. Can a mod sticky it?

Bob Dole
09-26-2007, 11:39 PM
I made a poll, it is a good poll. Can a mod sticky it?

All the mods are asleep.

stevieray
09-26-2007, 11:41 PM
All the mods are asleep.

!

greg63
09-26-2007, 11:42 PM
So, where's the poll?

Does it have a Gaz option?

Logical
09-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Frazod sold Bob Dole a pair of squeaky shoes.That bastard.

macdawg
09-26-2007, 11:47 PM
I enjoy sharing my beliefs with other Christians. I don't like trolls creating shitstorms online mocking Christianity.

From what I gather your a grown man? Have a kid or family? You like pissing off Christians on the internet and consider yourself a man?

I feel sorry for you.

Logical
09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
I enjoy sharing my beliefs with other Christians. I don't like trolls creating shitstorms online mocking Christianity.

From what I gather your a grown man? Have a kid or family? You like pissing off Christians on the internet and consider yourself a man?

I feel sorry for you.Feel free to pray for me to change, God works in mysterious ways.

Scorp
09-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Feel free to pray for me to change, God works in mysterious ways.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKDC2iBQTYg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKDC2iBQTYg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

GarySpFc
09-27-2007, 12:04 AM
I believe it is different for every individual based on their personal moral code. Only things codified as criminal by the law are absolute right and wrongs.

Since all morality is a matter of individual choice, then you personally do not see anything wrong with a mother killing and eating her baby?

Logical
09-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Since all morality is a matter of individual choice, then you personally do not see anything wrong with a mother killing and eating her baby?That is codified by law as illegal/immoral. Try again.

Frazod
09-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Yup you never shit stir

http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=8268
http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=13797
http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=13982

I am sure you were not meaning to stir the shit with the next few for sure
http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=14108

Here you are trying to be the first to segregate the board eventually you will get your way.

http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=4586
Well, let's see. Two of those threads weren't even started by me, and only have my name attached to them because of a database error (or do you really think I signed posts "Brad2K", or that Naperville is "right across the bay from Richmond") - a simple review of the posts can identify that. One you cited twice - and since we're not in Saudi Arabia or Israel, I really fail to see the connection. But of course, you're wrong and desperate, and I'm making you look like a complete ass, so don't let that stop you. And none of those even come close to the deliberate inciteful offensive crap you post.

Very, very lame. Pathetic, even. Did you have one of illegal alien gardeners research this shit for you? I sure hope you didn't do it yourself. Or were they just more deliberate lies from Dr. Deliberate Liar?
Tim, I can see the rage subsiding, better shoot a refrigerator to get yourself stoked backup, or maybe you can kill the guys cutting your cable or DTV connections. I imagine there is some poor customer service peon at DTV that you can vent at since you are not getting through to me.

I guess I have the money to afford to speak softly when I am in public and don't need the alcohol reinforced timerity that you evidently are so proud of in you dealings in real life with fellow Planet posters. I say good for you Cliff Claven of ChiefsPlanet, yell on, we all love hearing your stories.
That's the spirit! Now you're getting into it. Pulling the rich prick card yelling down from your mountain of cash accusing me of being a drunk. Never mind the fact that I've never been drunk at a Planet function - no one who posts here has ever even seen me drunk, or barely drink at all, for that matter. But you're pathetic, desperate and wrong, so hey, Frazod's a violent loudmouth drunk!! Yeah, that's the ticket! :whackit:

And "Cliff Claven"? That's a good one. Cliff was a blustering know-it-all who was a complete puss outside of his comfort zone - and I believe you'll find that person staring back at you in the nearest mirror. But it's nice to know that good ol' Cliff has done so well for himself later in life.

Well, I'm off to bed now, so you can make up some more lies about me that can stand until the morning, you sad old f#ck. Happy trails!

KurtCobain
09-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Or were they just more deliberate lies from Dr. Deliberate Liar?

hahahahahaha ROFL ROFL

kcxiv
09-27-2007, 01:11 AM
I just ignore them. its just a never ending debate.

KurtCobain
09-27-2007, 01:15 AM
the bible is old!

kcxiv
09-27-2007, 01:20 AM
the bible is old!
Water is wet?

KurtCobain
09-27-2007, 01:22 AM
jesus had ADD!

GarySpFc
09-27-2007, 04:51 AM
That is codified by law as illegal/immoral. Try again.

True it is illegal, but you do not believe in a moral law, hence it cannot be immoral in your mind.

Adept Havelock
09-27-2007, 07:09 AM
True it is illegal, but you do not believe in a moral law, hence it cannot be immoral in your mind.

If you are actually ignorant enough to believe ethics cannot exist independent of Religion... :shake:

Simply Red
09-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Not here.

Yeah and then they post on `prayers please` threads offering to say prayers for the thread starter. LAME. But as for your post; I couldn't agree more.

Simply Red
09-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I killed the thread!!!

Thanks be to god.

Logical
09-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, let's see. Two of those threads weren't even started by me, and only have my name attached to them because of a database error (or do you really think I signed posts "Brad2K", or that Naperville is "right across the bay from Richmond") - a simple review of the posts can identify that. One you cited twice - and since we're not in Saudi Arabia or Israel, I really fail to see the connection. But of course, you're wrong and desperate, and I'm making you look like a complete ass, so don't let that stop you. And none of those even come close to the deliberate inciteful offensive crap you post.

Very, very lame. Pathetic, even. Did you have one of illegal alien gardeners research this shit for you? I sure hope you didn't do it yourself. Or were they just more deliberate lies from Dr. Deliberate Liar?

...!

Not sure how you believe that was not your post, the Brad 2k thing looks like you pimping Brad in 2000 in jest. I do see that I accidently did a botched cut and paste and pasted the wrong link, for that oh well my bad on the repetitive link. Maybe if I have time later I will fix it and come up with more, thre are more, you really are just lucky your main body of work is in the great database in the sky that was purged.

Brock
09-27-2007, 09:55 AM
You're an asshole.

Frazod
09-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Not sure how you believe that was not your post, the Brad 2k thing looks like you pimping Brad in 2000 in jest. I do see that I accidently did a botched cut and paste and pasted the wrong link, for that oh well my bad on the repetitive link. Maybe if I have time later I will fix it and come up with more, thre are more, you really are just lucky your main body of work is in the great database in the sky that was purged.

Maybe you are an idiot after all.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD I EVER END A POST WITH THIS:

------------------
~Brad2K~

Kick his a$$, SeaBass!

I wouldn't. I never have. I would never have a reason to. It's that simple. The database is flawed. Members are referred to by name in that thread that do not match the people who posted on the thread. Why? BECAUSE THE OLD DATABASE IS FLAWED, YOU MORON.

In another of the flawed threads, the poster identified as AustinChief speaks of living in Kansas City. I suppose you think I made that up, too. :rolleyes:

Brock
09-27-2007, 10:38 AM

In other words, you're a pussy, except for the people you hold power over. You basically are just one of those people who unfortunately don't remember the last time you had your ass kicked. BTW, excellent marriage, LOL.

Logical
09-27-2007, 02:03 PM
You're an asshole.

You just now realize that, I posted for years with Arrogant Asshole in my signature. Have you forgotten?

Logical
09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
In other words, you're a pussy, except for the people you hold power over. You basically are just one of those people who unfortunately don't remember the last time you had your ass kicked. BTW, excellent marriage, LOL.

Probably because the last time I had my ass kicked I was 9 years old, yes that is quite possible.

Brock
09-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Probably because the last time I had my ass kicked I was 9 years old, yes that is quite possible.

You're due.

FAX
09-27-2007, 03:30 PM
... I guess I have the money to afford to speak softly when I am in public ...

I'm extremely intrigued by this statement. If you have the time, Mr. Dr. Doom, I would love to have this concept explained to me. Thanks.

FAX

Logical
09-27-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm extremely intrigued by this statement. If you have the time, Mr. Dr. Doom, I would love to have this concept explained to me. Thanks.

FAXI once was a loud mouthed SOB when I was younger and had no money. I thought I had to proclaim my strength through muscle and demonstrating power in various ways, including getting drunk and being an obnoxious jerk. Once I was successful, I no longer felt the need to be loud and show my power through aggressive charachteristics in person. I tend to be a naturally shy person until I get to know people anyway so it was easy to become quiet.

That is what I meant Mr. FAX

Jim

Easy 6
09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
You're due.

LMAO

mcan
09-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Nothing is more annoying to me than people who want special allowances for certain ideas... You can make fun of Britney Spears all you want and be as mean spirited as you want (keep in mind this is an actual person with actual feelings), but if you say anything mean spirited about Christianity or a person's faith then you are all the sudden out of line... Either one of two things is the case here.

1) There is no God and you're throwing a caniption fit about nothing.

2) There is a God, and the person saying the inflammatory things will have to answer for them.

Either way, there really isn't any reason to get offended. If someone says "Suck it Jesus" I'm sure God (being all powerfull and all) isn't going to get to bent out of shape about it. Why should you?

You can't have an internet talk board and expect for people to be tactfull. In fact, what makes an internet talk board FUN is the fact that I can say pretty much what I want, when I want and not have to bother with a lot of social mores and restrictions. Further, the whole reason "Chiefsplanet" exists is because we were trying to escape censorship and restrictions on certain topics. If I want to have a completely civil and restricted, tactfull conversation I'll go to my Dad's house and talk religion to him in person.

FAX
09-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I once was a loud mouthed SOB when I was younger and had no money. I thought I had to proclaim my strength through muscle and demonstrating power in various ways, including getting drunk and being an obnoxious jerk. Once I was successful, I no longer felt the need to be loud and show my power through aggressive charachteristics in person. I tend to be a naturally shy person until I get to know people anyway so it was easy to become quiet.

That is what I meant Mr. FAX

Jim

Thanks, Mr. Dr. Doom. I meant no offense, certainly. It just struck me as a very interesting statement of perspective as most of the affluent people I know speak in a normal tone of voice.

As you explain it, it makes sense, though. Thanks for unpacking the point.

FAX

FAX
09-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Nothing is more annoying to me than people who want special allowances for certain ideas... You can make fun of Britney Spears all you want and be as mean spirited as you want (keep in mind this is an actual person with actual feelings), but if you say anything mean spirited about Christianity or a person's faith then you are all the sudden out of line... Either one of two things is the case here.

2) There is a God, and the person saying the inflammatory things will have to answer for them.

Either way, there really isn't any reason to get offended. If someone says "Suck it Jesus" I'm sure God (being all powerfull and all) isn't going to get to bent out of shape about it. Why should you?

You can't have an internet talk board and expect for people to be tactfull. In fact, what makes an internet talk board FUN is the fact that I can say pretty much what I want, when I want and not have to bother with a lot of social mores and restrictions. Further, the whole reason "Chiefsplanet" exists is because we were trying to escape censorship and restrictions on certain topics. If I want to have a completely civil and restricted, tactfull conversation I'll go to my Dad's house and talk religion to him in person.

That's probably the most sensible take on the subject I've seen in a while. My compliments, Mr. mcan.

I would add that, oftentimes, persons of faith feel they have the obligation (by virtue of their adopted doctrine) to defend their faith and their God. Add in a few posters who like to tweak believers for the shock value, and you have an inflammatory state.

Religion and politics have always been subjects that are difficult to discuss without a surfeit of passion on every side.

FAX

stevieray
09-27-2007, 06:34 PM

One of the Commandments tells us not to use the Lords' name in vain...

mcan
09-27-2007, 06:38 PM
One of the Commandments tells us not to use the Lords' name in vain...

True. But if you don't believe in God, you shouldn't feel obligated to listen to all of the commandments. And I don't think that it's the job of any Christian (or anybody with any belief system) to get offended that somebody else is living contrary to YOUR beliefs.

I believe that most music today is CRAP and completely void of talent or integrity. But I most certainly don't think that all music should have to be passed through me before it gets on the radio.

Frazod
09-27-2007, 06:56 PM

This from the guy who got all bent out of our shape over an obvious joking post about tazing people who call me "bro"? Bipolar much, mcan? :shake:

With apologies to FAX, who was clearly being kind, your argument comparing Britney Spears to Christians on this BB is ridiculous. At the very least it's ridiculous. I'd say about 85% to 90% of the people here are either active Christians or were raised Christian. I'd also say that about ZERO percent of the people on this BB are Britney Spears. So I'm guessing whatever feelings she has aren't affected by ANYTHING that happens on ChiefsPlanet. Do you really compare taking shots at some moronic pop star who paints a giant bullseye on her ass every day of her life to posting something clearly offensive to regular people here who go to church on Sunday and happen to like the Chiefs? Something that was clearly posted to be offensive in the first place? And this from somebody who was offended by my silly tazing post, yet feels that practicing, faithful Christians (of which I am not one) are just supposed to let SUCK IT JESUS roll off their backs?

Again, wow. Just... wow. I think we can rename the :spock: smilie "mcan."

DomerNKC
09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
One of the Commandments tells us not to use the Lords' name in vain...hmmmmm....have you supported "in God we trust" lately?

09-27-2007, 07:10 PM
You're due.
LMFAO!

ROFL

Chieficus
09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
This from the guy who got all bent out of our shape over an obvious joking post about tazing people who call me "bro"? Bipolar much, mcan? :shake:

With apologies to FAX, who was clearly being kind, your argument comparing Britney Spears to Christians on this BB is ridiculous. At the very least it's ridiculous. I'd say about 85% to 90% of the people here are either active Christians or were raised Christian. I'd also say that about ZERO percent of the people on this BB are Britney Spears. So I'm guessing whatever feelings she has aren't affected by ANYTHING that happens on ChiefsPlanet. Do you really compare taking shots at some moronic pop star who paints a giant bullseye on her ass every day of her life to posting something clearly offensive to regular people here who go to church on Sunday and happen to like the Chiefs? Something that was clearly posted to be offensive in the first place? And this from somebody who was offended by my silly tazing post, yet feels that practicing, faithful Christians (of which I am not one) are just supposed to let SUCK IT JESUS roll off their backs?

I know I can't speak for every Christian on the board, and I certainly have not always been like this: but the more I've learned about what the Bible teaches concerning sin and the state of mankind in their natural, rebellious (agaist God) depravity there is nothing that a non-Christian says or does that offends me. In fact, I expect them to act in ways that could be considered a slam against God, Jesus, and/or Christianity.

Now that doesn't mean that I expect every non-Christian to do things like start, enjoy, or praise a thread like "SUCK IT," but when I see it, it doesn't surprise me either.

If I'm going to be offended all the time by what people do or say, then my mind is not going to be truly concerned about the heart of the matter (a person's salvation) or a real defense of the faith.

The thing that offends me is people who call themselves Christians and then purposefully do things that are very non-Christ-like...

Logical
09-27-2007, 07:30 PM
You're due.

As are many of us, probably even including you Brock. What do you think?

Logical
09-27-2007, 07:32 PM
I know I can't speak for every Christian on the board, and I certainly have not always been like this: but the more I've learned about what the Bible teaches concerning sin and the state of mankind in their natural, rebellious (agaist God) depravity there is nothing that a non-Christian says or does that offends me. In fact, I expect them to act in ways that could be considered a slam against God, Jesus, and/or Christianity.

Now that doesn't mean that I expect every non-Christian to do things like start, enjoy, or praise a thread like "SUCK IT," but when I see it, it doesn't surprise me either.

If I'm going to be offended all the time by what people do or say, then my mind is not going to be truly concerned about the heart of the matter (a person's salvation) or a real defense of the faith.

The thing that offends me is people who call themselves Christians and then purposefully do things that are very non-Christ-like...:clap:

Probably why I find your posts so enlightening.

stevieray
09-27-2007, 07:49 PM
True. But if you don't believe in God, you shouldn't feel obligated to listen to all of the commandments. And I don't think that it's the job of any Christian (or anybody with any belief system) to get offended that somebody else is living contrary to YOUR beliefs.

you are moving the goal posts...we were talking about whether it matters to God...I think the Commandemnt verifies that it does.

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2007, 07:50 PM
I Am Mine.

crazycoffey
09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
your sig is huge! Is that within the required specifications?

Iowanian
09-27-2007, 08:20 PM

I know its not as legit as the flyer for the Folsom Street Fair......but there is this old thing called the 10 Commandments.

You and KathyG might want to look at #3.

http://www.flagguys.com/img/10comand.jpg

Spott
09-27-2007, 08:24 PM
God-dammit, I'm screwed!

Easy 6
09-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Nothing is more annoying to me than people who want special allowances for certain ideas...

I'd say thats fair enough.

Now, how about you give me some deeply personal details about your mother.

It might be "lots of good natured/free speech fun" when i call her every dirty name in the book.

Those who want to continue to take cheap shots at us who believe in a higher power shouldnt mind that...right???...even if she's dead, or ailing, or you love her more than yourself...right???

Yeah, "the 'ol bags in the ground...never to be heard from again...the nasty old worthless witch that she was"...that shouldnt bother you free speachers should it???

Its simply a matter of class, either you have it...or you dont.

Dont attack me & i wont attack you...does it get any simpler than that???

Logical
09-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I'd say thats fair enough.

Now, how about you give me some deeply personal details about your mother.

It might be "lots of good natured/free speech fun" when i call her every dirty name in the book.

Those who want to continue to take cheap shots at us who believe in a higher power shouldnt mind that...right???...even if she's dead, or ailing, or you love her more than yourself...right???

Yeah, "the 'ol bags in the ground...never to be heard from again...the nasty old worthless witch that she was"...that shouldnt bother you free speachers should it???

Its simply a matter of class, either you have it...or you dont.

Dont attack me & i wont attack you...does it get any simpler than that???
Hell why not, first I loved my mom like I am sure pretty much most of you loved yours. That being said she was before she died highly dysfunctional.

First the good, she was a brilliant person with at or near genious level IQ.

2nd she came from the wrong side of the tracks in Omaha Nebraska and obtained her schooling from Catholic Schools.

3rd she was a devout Catholic, so much so that I was brought through all the Catholic sacraments right up to but not including the last rites and of course I did not become a Priest. LOL

4th she was a brilliant accountant, the first one to obtain a CPA I believe in Kansas City without having an accounting degree. She also developed a method of book-keeping that she was asked to publish a text about (so she was published).

Now the bad:

About the time I turned 13 she turned delusional and would believe horrible things about my stepfather that were just not true and had no foundation.

She became abusive towards him and towards me.

She once in a fit of rage threw me across a room into a dresser as one example.

She once threw a glass into my stepfathers face with such force that it shattered in his face, the only time I ever laid a hand on my mom to calm her down. Got the only beating with a belt from my stepfather that I ever received for that, by the way.

She became an alcoholic when I was about 15 and when I was 16 and 4 days from graduation she killed herself.

There you have it the great, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Now Scott don't tell me I won't share the worst with you.

FAX
09-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I always liked this ...

1. The only Real Existence is that of the One and only God Who is the Self in every (finite) self.

2. The only Real Love is the Love for this Infinity (God), which arouses an intense longing to see, know and become one with its Truth (God).

3. The only Real Sacrifice is that in which, in pursuance of this Love, all things—body, mind, position, welfare and even life itself—are sacrificed.

4. The only Real Renunciation is that which abandons, even in the midst of worldly duties, all selfish thoughts and desires.

5. The only Real Knowledge is the Knowledge that God is the inner dweller in good people and in so-called bad, in saint and in so-called sinner. This Knowledge requires you to help all equally as circumstances demand without expectation of reward, and when compelled to take part in a dispute, to act without the slightest trace of enmity or hatred; to try to make others happy with brotherly or sisterly feeling for each one; and to harm no one in thought, word or deed, not even those who harm you.

6. The only Real Control is the discipline of the senses to abstain from indulgence in low desires, which alone ensures absolute purity of character.

7. The only Real Surrender is that in which poise is undisturbed by any adverse circumstance, and the individual, amidst every kind of hardship, is resigned with perfect calm to the will of God.

FAX

Logical
09-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I always liked this ...

1. The only Real Existence is that of the One and only God Who is the Self in every (finite) self.

2. The only Real Love is the Love for this Infinity (God), which arouses an intense longing to see, know and become one with its Truth (God).

3. The only Real Sacrifice is that in which, in pursuance of this Love, all things—body, mind, position, welfare and even life itself—are sacrificed.

4. The only Real Renunciation is that which abandons, even in the midst of worldly duties, all selfish thoughts and desires.

5. The only Real Knowledge is the Knowledge that God is the inner dweller in good people and in so-called bad, in saint and in so-called sinner. This Knowledge requires you to help all equally as circumstances demand without expectation of reward, and when compelled to take part in a dispute, to act without the slightest trace of enmity or hatred; to try to make others happy with brotherly or sisterly feeling for each one; and to harm no one in thought, word or deed, not even those who harm you.

6. The only Real Control is the discipline of the senses to abstain from indulgence in low desires, which alone ensures absolute purity of character.

7. The only Real Surrender is that in which poise is undisturbed by any adverse circumstance, and the individual, amidst every kind of hardship, is resigned with perfect calm to the will of God.

FAX

That seems like an excellent definition of spirituality Mr FAX.

Easy 6
09-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Hell why not, first I loved my mom like I am sure pretty much most of you loved yours. That being said she was before she died highly dysfunctional.

First the good, she was a brilliant person with at or near genious level IQ.

2nd she came from the wrong side of the tracks in Omaha Nebraska and obtained her schooling from Catholic Schools.

3rd she was a devout Catholic, so much so that I was brought through all the Catholic sacraments right up to but not including the last rites and of course I did not become a Priest. LOL

4th she was a brilliant accountant, the first one to obtain a CPA I believe in Kansas City without having an accounting degree. She also developed a method of book-keeping that she was asked to publish a text about (so she was published).

Now the bad:

About the time I turned 13 she turned delusional and would believe horrible things about my stepfather that were just not true and had no foundation.

She became abusive towards him and towards me.

She once in a fit of rage threw me across a room into a dresser as one example.

She once threw a glass into my stepfathers face with such force that it shattered in his face, the only time I ever laid a hand on my mom to calm her down. Got the only beating with a belt from my stepfather that I ever received for that, by the way.

She became an alcoholic when I was about 15 and when I was 16 and 4 days from graduation she killed herself.

There you have it the great, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Now Scott don't tell me I won't share the worst with you.

Jim...HONEST TO GOD & JESUS...i feel for you.

But it seems rather obvious that you took the bad experiences from your childhood & turned them into a deep seated hatred for anyone that believes in God & Jesus.

You remind me of Sissy Spacek's character in "Carrie", having a highly dysfunctional version of Christianity shoved down your throat.

Which brings me to a personal story of my own...close family...from Kansas City no less. I swear it.

My Uncle Bill & Aunt Helen...Uncle Bill was Pastor of a HARDCORE church....speaking in tongues...no tv...that sort of thing. It used to break the rest of my families heart how hard he was on his 6 kids...ESPECIALLY when they were young.

Now, to the rest of my family Uncle Bill was ( Aunt Helen, bless her heart, didnt have the gumption to resist) a VERY kind man...because he didnt expect the same from us as he did his kids.

Anyway, because of his hardcore nastiness...he had 1 son who married, had kids & then became a FLAMING homosexual who used to cruise some park with a big statue in KC looking for love...he's currently living here in central Ill. with his oldest brother ( who, while being the most "normal of the family" is quite odd himself) & dying from AIDS.

One of his other sons (my very beloved Uncle Bobby) is an uncurable alchoholic & drug addict, capable of ANY number of skilled trades...yet his childhood, i believe, haunts him to the point that he will NEVER get his life straight...last i heard he was in jail on DUI & vagrancy charges in KC. He's the guy who nearly got me killed at his drugbag buddies party that i mentioned several months ago.

Besides that, he has another son who has done relatively well & 2 daughters who's lives are FULL of sad dysfunction...as Uncle Bill told my Grandma (his wifes sister) years ago..."Donna, i've raised a bunch of idiots".

So anyway, i know FULL WELL, the twisted view a STRICT religious upbringing can bring...but it in...NO WAY!!!...excuses your blatant provocations...as Tim has pointed out ad nauseum.

Groves
09-27-2007, 10:42 PM
God-dammit, I'm screwed!
We're all in the same boat as you are. It's not like heaven awaits those that sin less. Why do you think it's called "the good news"?

mcan
09-28-2007, 05:52 AM

1) I'd love to have a smilie named after me... Don't care which one, or if it's deragatory.

2) I didn't mean to imply that Britney reads Chiefsplanet. Nor did I want to defend her in any way. I was trying to make an analogy just to give my perspective... Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe it was a bad analogy. Again, I'm not trying to attack you (I almost typed bro without even thinking about it). I just don't think it's very consistent to have people who take offense when something bad is said about something they like, but find it OK to rip on anything that they don't like. People might think that religion is a "sensitive" topic, but... Why?... I really mean that... Why are people sensitive about this?

3) I use the word "bro" all the time. I like it. Didn't pick up on your sarcasm the other day, so I probably defended the use of the word a little harshly. I don't really remember slamming you though, that's not really my style. I think I said something to the effect that I didn't understand why you or anybody would be offended by its use and maybe you were too sensitive? Crap, I'm noticing a theme... Maybe I'm not sensitive enough?... But you see, that's why these discussions are important! I might have just, quite litterally improved my life and every relationship I have by realizing that I'm not sensitive enough... So, there you go.

4) I want to clarify that when I say that I want a forum that is uncensored, I don't say that so I can get away with being tactless. I hold myself to my own moral code that I would never intentionally hurt anybody or say mean spirited things whether it be here or elsewhere. I just don't want that to be an OBLIGATION. I like when the pot get stirred by people who have to obligation to be tactfull. I find that those conversations are the ones where I learn the most about other people. See how they act when they are a little rattled.

5) I rarely get offended by anything. Only thing I can think of is being called an "A$$hole" which I pride myself on being the exact opposite. I'm opinionated and passionate and often times vulgar, but I'm an extremely kind and generous person. I guess that's my one big button. So I can relate to the emotion of being offended, but I really, truely think that some people get offended on principle... Like they feel they have to, whether they actually have the "emotion" or not.