PDA

View Full Version : Masonite siding help

Scaga
09-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Ok home improvement guys....
There's a good chance we'll be relocating soon and I need to replace a few rotten boards (masonite). What's the best way to replace a few boards, without tearning up a bunch of the others. I'm guessing using a reciprocating saw to cut through the nails on top/bottom would work. Anybody got advise? Phil?

REDHOTGTO
09-27-2007, 08:16 AM
the saw deal would work, or try this, just lift the board above the one you want out, and then push it back down, this will leave the nail holding it up enough to pull without too much effort. once you pull all the nails out the board will basially fall out.

Scaga
09-27-2007, 08:19 AM
the saw deal would work, or try this, just lift the board above the one you want out, and then push it back down, this will leave the nail holding it up enough to pull without too much effort. once you pull all the nails out the board will basially fall out.

The reason I'm thinking about sawing is the siding is as old as the house ('88). I'm afraid using the pry-bar would lead to damaging more and more boards, until I end up doing have the freaking house. I'd rather avoid that if possible. Thanks for the help.

Extra Point
09-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Is it batten-board? Do you have 1 X 2's running vertically? If so, then take out the whole panel, and replace it with Hardie board. There have been a ton of lawsuits over Masonite siding, as it delaminates. Hardie board, at least they say, doesn't delaminate, although I've seen it do so. Another candidate would be plywood. My siding is plywood, and it's lasted 50 years.

It's more work to cut and piece, than to use a Stanley Wonderbar and a Cat's Paw and extract the panel, then replace it with a better material.

Phobia
09-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Is it lap or panel siding?

Scaga
09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Is it lap or panel siding?
Darn meetings getting in my way...

I'm assuming Lap.
No grooves, rough, not smooth.

I'm trying to go as cheap/easy as I can. Probably not going to be in the house too much longer.

Phobia
09-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah, you can use a reciprocating saw to cut those nails to free up the siding but I'd try to pry them out first. Any way you do it, it's going to take some time because you're laying siding backwards. Good luck.