PDA

View Full Version : No more plastic bags for me..

Joe Seahawk
09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Geezus!

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/travel-leisure/Our_oceans_are_turning_into_plastic_are_we.shtml

penguinz
09-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Wal-mart is going to destroy the world with their plastic bags. i hate those damned things.

InChiefsHeaven
09-27-2007, 12:08 PM
yes. save the world. stop using plastic bags... :rolleyes:

Hydrae
09-27-2007, 12:16 PM
I heard on the radio yesterday that the Austin city council is considering banning plastic bags. Didn't even realize it was an issue.

Adept Havelock
09-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Sure, why worry about a potential Plankton Collapse? Surely it won't affect us. :rolleyes:

Why not just dump sewage into the streets while we're at it?

FAX
09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
This is a major, major problem. People don't really care because plastic is "convenient". Eventually, they'll care, though ... about the time Long John Silvers starts promoting the 9 headed shrimp special.

I had hoped that global warming would melt all the plastic garbage in time, but maybe not.

FAX

Wile_E_Coyote
09-27-2007, 12:20 PM
30 minutes & no hemp to rescue posts? The Planet has lost it's burst

seclark
09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Geezus!

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/travel-leisure/Our_oceans_are_turning_into_plastic_are_we.shtml

a long read, but interesting.
sec

Pitt Gorilla
09-27-2007, 12:48 PM
We haven't used plastic for a long time.

I'm guessing that most people won't care though. I recall a thread about recycling about 5 years ago and people claimed it was too inconvenient.

penguinz
09-27-2007, 12:49 PM
We haven't used plastic for a long time.

I'm guessing that most people won't care though. I recall a thread about recycling about 5 years ago and people claimed it was too inconvenient.
It is inconvenient. That is why I have enough cardboard and paperboard in my garage to build a good sized city for the homeless.

Mr. Laz
09-27-2007, 12:52 PM
no .... but it sure might help a bit.

FAX
09-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Recycling is a major pain in the tin can, but it's a good thing to do. A lot of people don't realize that every little bit counts and adds up over time. I'm for it, personally, and believe that everyone who chooses not to recycle should be recycled themselves.

FAX

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Every little bit helps.

KC Kings
09-27-2007, 12:55 PM
This is a major, major problem. People don't really care because plastic is "convenient". Eventually, they'll care, though ... about the time Long John Silvers starts promoting the 9 headed shrimp special.

I had hoped that global warming would melt all the plastic garbage in time, but maybe not.

FAX
I don't find plastic grocery bags convenient at all. I buy a cart full of groceries and if I ask for paper, they can fit it all in 6 paper bags. If I ask for plastic, it takes at least twice as many bags.

Pitt Gorilla
09-27-2007, 12:57 PM
It is inconvenient. That is why I have enough cardboard and paperboard in my garage to build a good sized city for the homeless.It's not for us. We have bins the the garage for everything and we take them to the station once a month or so. The amount of trash that we have is very minimal now.

KC Kings
09-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Recycling is a major pain in the tin can, but it's a good thing to do. A lot of people don't realize that every little bit counts and adds up over time. I'm for it, personally, and believe that everyone who chooses not to recycle should be recycled themselves.

FAX

Curb side recycling was a great idea in KC. When they first informed me that my family of 5 would have to cut down to 2 bags of trash per week I thought they were crazy. Since the program started at least 2 years ago, very rarely do we have to buy a trash tag, ($1 a bag). We have 2 recycling containers and you can throw everything into them, no sorting. Any paper products as long as they are clean (no greasy bottoms of pizza boxes), and any plastic container that has a top opening smaller than the base.

I think most of the global warming/baby seals dying/plankton disappearing data is very subjective and skewed to support a certain view point, but even if world destruction isn't imminent there are lot's of little things that can be done to improve the earth if everybody participated. Discover HD had a show that had data to support that if every house in America replace just one of their old fashion bulbs with a new compact florescent bulb, the energy saved would equal the energy output of one coal burning plant for a year. That's a pretty easy step for such a big impact.

jiveturkey
09-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Big oil!!!!

Get yourselves a couple of fabric sacks with handles and use them instead of paper or plastic. You'll look like an asshole but you'll be the one person in your store that isn't one.

They still look at me like I'm crazy.

chagrin
09-27-2007, 01:06 PM
In the future - we'll all be licking our own a-holes, have no genitalia and living underwater - I can't wait!

jiveturkey
09-27-2007, 01:06 PM
We also have curb side for metal and plastic. Paper goes across the street in bins at the elementary school.

Glass gets tossed.

It's requires a minimal amount of energy to drop shit into the recycling bin. Gravity helps out a lot.

Mr. Laz
09-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Big oil!!!!

Get yourselves a couple of fabric sacks with handles and use them instead of paper or plastic. You'll look like an asshole but you'll be the one person in your store that isn't one.

good for you :clap:

chagrin
09-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Big oil!!!!

Are you the guy in the Whole Foods store walking around with the Bierkenstocks on picking the Organic Purple Potatoes? :p

StcChief
09-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Wal-mart is going to destroy the world with their plastic bags. i hate those damned things.

NO THE IDIOTS that don't recycle them are. :rolleyes:

Donger
09-27-2007, 01:11 PM
We recycle, but we only started after Waste Management agreed not to charge us for the service.

Joe Seahawk
09-27-2007, 01:14 PM
In Seattle it's a fine if you don't recycle. We have been recycling everything for years, but like the article says a very low percentage of plastic is reused.. Bring back the glass bottles!

jiveturkey
09-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Are you the guy in the Whole Foods store walking around with the Bierkenstocks on picking the Organic Purple Potatoes? :pYou would think.

I don't own Bierkenstocks and I don't shop at Whole Foods (it's a f'in rip off).

I'm just your normal run of the mill midwest asshole (equipped with kung fu grip and gay grocery bags).

KC Kings
09-27-2007, 01:40 PM
The article states ". In marine environments, excess estrogen has led to Twilight Zone-esque discoveries of male fish and seagulls that have sprouted female sex organs."

How do you "sprout" a vagina? Sprouting a penis makes sense, a vagina wouldn't really sprout. I refuse to quit using plastics until the editor can come up with a better vaginal verb.

Radar Chief
09-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Sure, why worry about a potential Plankton Collapse? Surely it won't affect us. :rolleyes:

Plankton collapsed? Hope he's all right.

http://members.outpost10f.com/~lindax/spongebob/spongebob-characters/char_plankton.jpg

Rooster
09-27-2007, 01:58 PM
In the future - we'll all be licking our own a-holes, have no genitalia and living underwater - I can't wait!

Why won't we have genitalia? :(

Radar Chief
09-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Big oil!!!!

I take plastic bags from the local mom & pops store because that’s what they have, but when they ask me if I want my milk in a bag I reply, “No sense killing another tree just so I have an easier handle.” I’m waiting for some smartass to tell me plastic doesn’t come from trees. ;)

rtmike
09-27-2007, 01:59 PM
It's always a reality check when I go home to visit western Kansas & DFW where there's zero recycling going on.
Up here in the NW it's a way of life.

seclark
09-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Why won't we have genitalia? :(
gets in the way of licking your a-hole.
sec

Rooster
09-27-2007, 02:03 PM
gets in the way of licking your a-hole.
sec

ROFL Right.

Lzen
09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Those Walmart bags are great for my boys to use in picking up the dog poop.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
09-27-2007, 02:27 PM
I use canvas bags that you buy in the grocery stores as much as possible during regular shopping trips.

Up here in Ontario - all of our beer and liquor bottles are returnable for $$ - of course they charge you upfront - but a good way to get people to recycle - we have to return them to the state-run beer stores.....

Valiant
09-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Can't get the site to load.. But I disdain plastic bags.. When I worked retail I would try and force the customer just to carry the item without a bag.. Mainly because I would see 100's of them stuck in the bushes and fields to the north of us.. Customers would throw them away as they got to their car..

Actually this goes I guess to people that litter period.. I went ballistic on a lady for dumping her ash tray in her car out the window at a red light..

I yelled at customers too when I was off the clock and walking to my car for throwing trash/bags/receipts on the ground..

jiveturkey
09-27-2007, 02:52 PM
I saw some trash basically clean their car out at a red light. A giant bag of McDonalds, a couple of drinks, an ashtray, and a possible diaper.

I just about threw up.

I called the cops and gave them the plate but they told me that it would be my word against theirs. I pushed it and they gave me the "we'll look into line".

Valiant
09-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Finally got it to load.. Someone would be wise to get a government grant and start recycling that heap... maybe sell it back to recycling plants and a cheap price..

Bugeater
09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I saw some trash basically clean their car out at a red light. A giant bag of McDonalds, a couple of drinks, an ashtray, and a possible diaper.

I just about threw up.

I called the cops and gave them the plate but they told me that it would be my word against theirs. I pushed it and they gave me the "we'll look into line".
Heh, that's funny because lately on the radio here they've been running these 1-877-NO-LITTER commercials where you can call and report the license # of someone who litters. I'd really like to know what they can do, I can't imagine they can actually fine someone over it. If that's the way it works, I'm going to start reporting everybody who pisses me off when I'm driving.

Skip Towne
09-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Heh, that's funny because lately on the radio here they've been running these 1-877-NO-LITTER commercials where you can call and report the license # of someone who litters. I'd really like to know what they can do, I can't imagine they can actually fine someone over it. If that's the way it works, I'm going to start reporting everybody who pisses me off when I'm driving.
Why didn't I think of that? :LOL:

jAZ
09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Free markets solve this problem nicely.

penguinz
09-27-2007, 03:20 PM
NO THE IDIOTS that don't recycle them are. :rolleyes:No. WalMart is for forcing people to use them.

penguinz
09-27-2007, 03:23 PM
There is a bitch at HyVee I am going to kick in the ovaries when I see her. I asked for paper. Went back to get something I had forgotten to put in the cart. I get back and everything is sacked and in the cart. When I am loading it all in the car I notice that she sacked everything in plastic and then put it in a paper bag. :cuss:

Bwana
09-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Damn, that's messed up.

L.A. Chieffan
09-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Big oil!!!!

Trader Joes rocks. We try and shop there as much as we can even though there's about a 100 other grocery stores much closer.

I love it when you get some milk or OJ and they put it in a plastic bag, Dude, it's got a handle right on it.

jidar
09-27-2007, 04:20 PM
I recycle, I sniff my own farts.

Stewie
09-27-2007, 04:34 PM
On a smaller scale. Shawnee Mission Park has lowered the lake level to do some maintenance. While the lake is low they're removing old fishing line, plastic, crap, etc. with the help of volunteers. It starts tomorrow and they wanted people to register early, but I'm sure they'll appreciate a helping hand if you just show up.

Rain Man
09-27-2007, 06:22 PM
This is bad for the rest of the world, but good for people stuck on deserted islands.

banyon
09-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Free markets solve this problem nicely.

I don't think you mean free markets, unless this was sarcasm.

Market based-incentives work great in Ireland. They charge you like a dime if you want a bag. Most people are just "F U" and take their stuff and carry it. Or they learn and reuse the bags.

banyon
09-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Also, as a tortoise owner, I found this pretty freaky:

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/uploads/1/sea-turtle-deformed.jpg

InChiefsHeaven
09-27-2007, 09:45 PM

Why not just dump sewage into the streets while we're at it?

Just... :rolleyes:

InChiefsHeaven
09-27-2007, 09:47 PM
no .... but it sure might help a bit.

Indeed. Hopefully, we all quit eating beans to stop the nasty methane fumes from contributing to global warming...

...every teeny tiny little bit helps...

teedubya
09-27-2007, 09:49 PM
man, Hemp to the rescue.

I know its cliche... but if hemp was legal... Paper or plastic sacks would be made from it.

The cereal box, the cereal plastic seal bag and the cereal could be made from it.

But, Id rather pollute the world and make money instead.