PDA

View Full Version : thinking about taking classes

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 12:21 AM
****ing expensive, but I'm guessing it'd be worth it in the long run. But what should I take? I guess I've never been enthusiastic about a future career, always hoped it would have something do with writing. But it's a hit/miss career. Thinking about trying to get a CNA. Anybody ever take courses for nursing or the likes? I'd like some helpful opinions.

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 12:28 AM
What's a CNA? Certified Nursing Assistant? (I'm guessing.)

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 12:31 AM
What's a CNA? Certified Nursing Assistant? (I'm guessing.)

Yeah, I figure it'd be a good start to open up more opportunities in a nursing type career.

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 12:41 AM
As far as writing goes, you're correct in thinking that it's hit and miss. The upside is that a career in a creative environment can be a great deal of fun. Stay away from writing technical manuals, though. On second thought, don't worry about that. Given the level of writing, that work is contracted to exiled Taliban who are hiding in Pakistan.

Nursing is going to be a high demand field for years to come. The Boomers are aging, and they're going to require plenty of care. With the medical advances we continue to make they're not going to die. It'll be steady work.

On the other hand, you'd better hope the health care industry doesn't get nationalized or you'll be in the same boat as many other government employees: A bitter career followed by a good retirement.

Smed1065
09-29-2007, 12:41 AM
****ing expensive, but I'm guessing it'd be worth it in the long run. But what should I take? I guess I've never been enthusiastic about a future career, always hoped it would have something do with writing. But it's a hit/miss career. Thinking about trying to get a CNA. Anybody ever take courses for nursing or the likes? I'd like some helpful opinions.

Money is great but if you end up like me and hating your job, it matters but not enough.

You need to take classes one supporter @ a time. Depends on if you actually relate and trust the one that is already in class.

Community classes is a great way to start with limited resources. It will also give you an idea of the option available.

Only you can answer the question of which degree to pursue. It took me several tries and I still ended up with a degree instead of enjoyment. I chose money over my desires.

The top performers in any field make good money because they are happy and interested in the job instead of the money.

Do not get me wrong, a wrong degree is still better than none due to the fact that it does give you options. It shows that you have the commitment to complete a goal. The degree only gets you in the door and performance (or contacts) shows employers that you can stick to a goal.

Most companies have a certain way they want you to perform a job and actually train you to their performance expectations instead of saying he has a degree, leave him alone.

Most degrees are useless in performing the job and they way they want it performed but it gets you a foot in the door.

What do you like to do that matches your natural skills?

Answer that and you will know.

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 12:43 AM
A bitter career followed by a good retirement.

Doesn't sound too bad.

I just want to move on from what I'm doing while I'm still young and have plenty of chances ahead of me.

Bob Dole
09-29-2007, 12:51 AM
You should punt.

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Doesn't sound too bad.

It's not too bad. My parents have that kind of a deal (university sports dept. and teaching) and my sister is well on her way (teaching for her as well). It's not for me, though. Too many possibilities out there.

I just want to move on from what I'm doing while I'm still young and have plenty of chances ahead of me.

Good luck. You're right to be considering your moves now rather than later. It just gets more complicated the longer you wait. I know some guys who are enormously talented but paralysed by fear. The fear of getting their wives on board with a radical change; the fear of their mortgage; the fear of advancing age.

I know it's not really your thing, and I hope I won't offend you, but blessings on you while you go over your options. You've been equipped with certain talents and passions for a reason. Use them.

TinyEvel
09-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Are you good at throwing the football? Keep composure in the pocket? Can do a toss back on a misdirect then throw down a god block?
If so, then call Carl NOW.

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 12:56 AM
As far as writing goes, you're correct in thinking that it's hit and miss. The upside is that a career in a creative environment can be a great deal of fun.

But the downside could be wasted time and effort. And lost money. Am I a man of risk? I don't know that yet.

As a kid I babbled of many things I'd like to be. A weatherman, a fireman, a garbageman, a janitor, but nursing and writing always stuck out to me and are the only ones that still do. I like to think of myself as a creative and imaginative person, but my writing skills are a bit under par. I know I can catch a reader, but can I spell everything right and explain myself accordingly? And a nurse, I took care of my paraplegic father just fine, and began to think of the like for a future in nursing, but would it be different caring for people I don't know so well? I like people, but I don't know. Too many questions I haven't answered. Too little time I feel.

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Are you good at throwing the football? Keep composure in the pocket? Can do a toss back on a misdirect then throw down a god block?
If so, then call Carl NOW.

I think I've seen him do exactly that just recently.

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 01:00 AM
You should punt.

I did in my freshman year, then switched to tight end, sexy tight end.

luv
09-29-2007, 01:02 AM
You should focus on providing for your child. Don't you already have some bills you don't pay? You're going to add to that?

Bob Dole
09-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Too many questions I haven't answered. Too little time I feel.

There is always time. Don't let anyone convince you there is not.

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 01:05 AM
But the downside could be wasted time and effort. And lost money. Am I a man of risk? I don't know that yet.

As a kid I babbled of many things I'd like to be. A weatherman, a fireman, a garbageman, a janitor, but nursing and writing always stuck out to me and are the only ones that still do. I like to think of myself as a creative and imaginative person, but my writing skills are a bit under par. I know I can catch a reader, but can I spell everything right and explain myself accordingly? And a nurse, I took care of my paraplegic father just fine, and began to think of the like for a future in nursing, but would it be different caring for people I don't know so well? I like people, but I don't know. Too many questions I haven't answered. Too little time I feel.

I admire you for caring for your father. I haven't had to do anything like that. I can only imagine, and I doubt I can even imagine very accurately.

I know a couple of firefighters and they are the happiest government employees I know. They truly love most of the guys they work with and they have plenty of time to spend on family and outside interests. They take great advantage of an inherently strange schedule.

I remember really liking the head maintenance guy at the elementary school I attended and my kids tell me that the guy at their school is widely loved as well.

Writing can be a thing that fills in the margins in a steadier situation. You can do it in off hours, but you'll have to be disciplined when it comes to developing your innate talent into a marketable skill.

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 01:09 AM
You should focus on providing for your child. Don't you already have some bills you don't pay? You're going to add to that?

I have a nice temp second job lined up for the next three weeks. Nice pay. I can save up through that. Plus bills will be minimized if I just move in with my gf's mom for a short period of time. It wouldn't be for long, just until I get money saved back for my own place again. I have help with diapers, the inlaws have recently fell into cash and are happy to help as long as Angie stays devoted to her classes. I just don't want them to help. I like doing things on my own more than less. Plus their Packers fans. **** 'em.

But I think I can afford it. I can't just work my ass off my whole life for little money, can I?

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 01:10 AM
There is always time. Don't let anyone convince you there is not.

I couldn't agree more. I have no idea how old you are but I'll share this: My mother got her last degree and changed careers at age 58. I'm assuming you're something like half the age she was. I co-founded two additional businesses in my forties and I'm not settled yet. I'm looking for the next one to add. It's an ongoing process.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2007, 01:11 AM
My mom used to teach CNA classes.

As the two most important women in my life are nurses, I feel comfortable telling you this: If you don't love it, you'll wash out fast.

It takes a strong person to wipe asses and empty bedpans for 8-10 bucks an hour, although you may get 12 around the KC metro.

If you feel like going to school, you could get your Associates and be an RN in two years, and if you worked at a place like KU Med Center, you'd make around 40K and have the best benefits in the world.

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 01:13 AM
I can't just work my ass off my whole life for little money, can I?

If you're not serious and diligent you can do that exactly. Too many people do.

You look like you're not going to settle for that, though. Good for you.

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 01:15 AM
If you're not serious and diligent you can do that exactly. Too many people do.

You look like you're not going to settle for that, though. Good for you.

Too many people do. Too many stories. I don't want that to be me.

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 01:17 AM

As the two most important women in my life are nurses, I feel comfortable telling you this: If you don't love it, you'll wash out fast.

It takes a strong person to wipe asses and empty bedpans for 8-10 bucks an hour, although you may get 12 around the KC metro.

If you feel like going to school, you could get your Associates and be an RN in two years, and if you worked at a place like KU Med Center, you'd make around 40K and have the best benefits in the world.

My mother is a nurse and gf is training and yeah it does take a strong person to do just that. But I know I could do it. But I don't know if I would enjoy it down the road.

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 01:33 AM
Too many people do. Too many stories. I don't want that to be me.

That's clear.

No one who cares about you wants that for you, and the more people you talk to about this, the more people you'll find who really care. You need a mentor or two. (Everybody needs a mentor or two.)

Look, you're free to PM me any time, but you need real people sitting down in front of you helping you sort through the ridiculous array of possibilities you face. You mentioned your GF's parents. If you think that either of them can offer insight, ask them. There's a guy who is in a Bible study class I attend that is hosted by his ex-GF's parents. Their daughter has gone a different way, but these folks still treat the guy who dated their daughter years ago like a son.

Look to an old coach or a teacher. Even if they aren't the people you need to talk to (and maybe they are), they know people who have gone into every field imaginable. Just ask them if they know someone you can talk to.

Years ago Willie Nelson sang a lyric I've always liked:

"We're in this gig together, so let's settle down and steal each other's songs."

I'll send you the odd PM when I run across something. I promise that I'll keep the preachiness level at a minimum.

Now, my son has a track meet tomorrow morning, so I'm out. I'll open this thing back up Saturday late afternoon. Good luck. I hope you get lots of great advice here.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2007, 01:35 AM
It takes a strong person to wipe asses and empty bedpans for 8-10 bucks an hour.

Or one that's really into scat.

Smed1065
09-29-2007, 01:36 AM

Hum.

My sister got her degree in nursing 5 years ago (age 42 then) and makes around $70,000 a year now working 32 hours a week. Started @ $48,000 (5 years ago), went to around $54,000 second year and after the contract was up went to $60,000 in a bidding war for nurse services. She works Sundays that pay $50 an hour, so she works 12 hours on Sunday and 2 more days a week (12 hour shifts)

They paid for her education as well but she had to work for them for 2 years. She lives in Independence and now works north of the river.

She is leaving and becoming a traveling nurse for 30% more since her kids left home.

I have 5 nurses in the family and they make no less than $50,000, even in Alabama. They can be employed anywhere in the USA.

If you need any info, I can get it for you Joey.

PM me if you need nursing info.

Smed1065
09-29-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by joey
I can't just work my ass off my whole life for little money, can I?
------------------------------------------------------

I went the money route but hate my damn job, it impacts my family life as well.

Make sure money is not the qualifier, it makes 8 hours long when you have no passion for what you are doing.

See my previous post about what classes to take.
I would rather make less and have desire and passion in my lifelong commitment!

Bob Dole
09-29-2007, 01:46 AM
But I think I can afford it. I can't just work my ass off my whole life for little money, can I?

It sure sounds to Bob Dole like you've already answered the "do I need to get an education" question.

Bob Dole ****ed off a couple of chances to get the education that would open doors, because Bob Dole wasn't ready. When Bob Dole found himself working his ass off and daily dealing with dipshits who HAD played the higher ed game, and Bob Dole asked himself the question you just asked, Bob Dole knew it was the right time to try the college thing again. It made all the difference in the world.

You are the only one who really knows the answer to your question. Trust yourself.

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Hum.

My sister got her degree in nursing 5 years ago (age 42 then) and makes around $70,000 a year now working 32 hours a week. Started @ $48,000 (5 years ago), went to around $54,000 second year and after the contract was up went to $60,000 in a bidding war for nurse services. She works Sundays that pay $50 an hour, so she works 12 hours on Sunday and 2 more days a week (12 hour shifts)

They paid for her education as well but she had to work for them for 2 years. She lives in Independence and now works north of the river.

She is leaving and becoming a traveling nurse for 30% more since her kids left home.

I have 5 nurses in the family and they make no less than $50,000, even in Alabama. They can be employed anywhere in the USA.

If you need any info, I can get it for you Joey.

PM me if you need nursing info.

I've heard of "signing bonuses" for nurses as well. Agree to a contract of X number of months and you get the bonus. The figures I heard about were as high as $50K, depending on the length of contract and the skills required by the employer and offered by the empoyee.

That anecdotal info is based on what I heard about the Denver market five years ago. I have nothing more recent to rely on, and I know nothing about any other market.

Smed1065
09-29-2007, 02:10 AM
They started her "changing diaper @ $48,000 but also paid for the school as well.

In life there is alway shit involved. I could live with school and changing diapers for $23 an hour for 2 years.

The bonus she is getting for traveling with per diem is a $10,000 for a 2 year contract.

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 02:16 AM
It sure sounds to Bob Dole like you've already answered the "do I need to get an education" question.

Bob Dole ****ed off a couple of chances to get the education that would open doors, because Bob Dole wasn't ready. When Bob Dole found himself working his ass off and daily dealing with dipshits who HAD played the higher ed game, and Bob Dole asked himself the question you just asked, Bob Dole knew it was the right time to try the college thing again. It made all the difference in the world.

You are the only one who really knows the answer to your question. Trust yourself.

Thank you Bob Dole.

luv
09-29-2007, 03:09 AM
joey,

I don't mean to give you such a hard ime. You just remind me a lot of my older brother when he was your age. He was full of good intentions, yet now he still comes up with excuses as to why he didn't/couldn't follow through. Don't be that person. I hope you prove the doubters like me wrong. I really do. Don't just talk the talk...do something. Whatever it is you decide to do, do it right and give 110%.

Smed1065
09-29-2007, 03:24 AM
joey,

I don't mean to give you such a hard ime. You just remind me a lot of my older brother when he was your age. He was full of good intentions, yet now he still comes up with excuses as to why he didn't/couldn't follow through. Don't be that person. I hope you prove the doubters like me wrong. I really do. Don't just talk the talk...do something. Whatever it is you decide to do, do it right and give 110%.

A degree outweighs a cut back in hours and a move to KC.

That is why I suggested who cares what you should take and take what interests and fits your skills.

If you was thinking about a move, make it now because they do not care about employees or you do not fit in their plans.
Did the person above you cut their hours? It is a future sign.

luv
09-29-2007, 03:33 AM
A degree outweighs a cut back in hours and a move to KC.

That is why I suggested who cares what you should take and take what interests and fits your skills.

If you was thinking about a move, make it now because they do not care about employees or you do not fit in their plans.
Did the person above you cut their hours? It is a future sign.
I assume you've read a post that I made in a thread I don't remember making it in..lol.

The cut back is temporary. They did it in order to prevent lay-offs. Dealing with hospital budgets, it a very up and down cycle on the work load. We tend to be light in the spring and fall, but heavy in the winter and summer. We would draw the work out, but there are deadlines to meet in order to stay within hospitals fiscal years. We went through this last year, we'll go through it again. Granted, there wasn't a cut in hours that you could have last year. Only the unpaid time off you could take, if you chose to, without it affecting your attendance record. Things will pick up in a month or two, though.

And no, my shift supervisor did not take a cut in pay or hours. She's salaried. It only affect those who are hourly, and work directly in production (i.e. warehouse and release of information workers were not affected).

As much as I want to move to KC, I just don't see it happening. I would need to make a certain amount in order to make it on my own, and, without any formal education and limited work experience outside of what I do now, it would be very difficult to get a job starting out at what I feel I would need to survive. I may want to move to KC, but I'm just not willing to go up there and scrounge whenever I can live here, do alright, and go to KC to visit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2007, 03:43 AM
I've heard of "signing bonuses" for nurses as well. Agree to a contract of X number of months and you get the bonus. The figures I heard about were as high as $50K, depending on the length of contract and the skills required by the employer and offered by the empoyee.

That anecdotal info is based on what I heard about the Denver market five years ago. I have nothing more recent to rely on, and I know nothing about any other market.

50K is very, very hard to believe. I know that when I moved to OH w/ my wife she got 2500 (but that was in a low demand area) for a Peds ICU position with a 2 year commitment.

Braincase
09-29-2007, 07:27 AM
You should punt for Northern Colorado.

FYP

Iowanian
09-29-2007, 07:41 AM
If you want to be a CNA....you'll have to be able to pass a piss test too.

If you can't afford the classes, one option is to find a nursing home that will pay for your class and the cert test if you agree to work there a certain amount of time.

Jilly
09-29-2007, 07:41 AM
joey - what's your favorite thing in the whole world? What are you or have you been good at in your life? If you look at everything you've done in life, what's made you the happiest?

patteeu
09-29-2007, 10:02 AM
If you can't afford the classes, think about joining the military to get help paying for them. It's not the only way to give your life a boost in the right direction, but it's a good one.

patteeu
09-29-2007, 10:05 AM

I'm in the same boat as 'Hamas'. My mother and wife are both nurses too and I agree completely with what he's saying here.

TrebMaxx
09-29-2007, 10:19 AM

Bob Dole ****ed off a couple of chances to get the education that would open doors, because Bob Dole wasn't ready. When Bob Dole found himself working his ass off and daily dealing with dipshits who HAD played the higher ed game....

Bob Dole speaks the truth here. I did the same thing and at 44 I am paying for it. I love having to answer to some dipshit twenty years younger than me that has no clue what needs to be done to get the job done. I shouldn't bitch too much, I make a good living but it makes going to work a living hell. I should go back and finish my degree because the writing is on the wall, or maybe the ceiling better describes where that writing is. I should know because that is where I am at in my current job. No chance of advancement without that piece of paper.

ClevelandBronco
09-29-2007, 10:43 AM
50K is very, very hard to believe. I know that when I moved to OH w/ my wife she got 2500 (but that was in a low demand area) for a Peds ICU position with a 2 year commitment.

It wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood/misremembered something. Perhaps it was a very specific set of skills they were looking for or perhaps I'm all the way FOS up to my ears on this one.

I'm sure you and patteeu are much better sources.

KurtCobain
09-29-2007, 11:31 PM
joey - what's your favorite thing in the whole world? What are you or have you been good at in your life? If you look at everything you've done in life, what's made you the happiest?

My family and the Chiefs.

Jenson71
09-30-2007, 12:28 AM
I know a young lady who is just getting out of her 2 year nursing program (after 2-3 years of college) and is getting a job where she will make about $60,000, or so she says. But I have no reason to doubt her. That's great, I don't know how she got so lucky.

Smed1065
09-30-2007, 01:22 AM

Great advice but at his age, I doubt he knows what it is in life yet.

Same problem I had at that point. The reason for having a good career with little satisfaction for me.

A degree will also provide a backup later in life. The more options you have , the more chances in life if you miss like I did. (my biggest hope at this point)

BigRedChief
09-30-2007, 02:22 AM
Take class's for 8 months to wipe ass's for $8.00 an hour? Screw that.

Be careful about going for the nursing degree. Think about having to battle the "male" nurse thing every single day for the rest of your life. If you get good enough to work in ER or the ICU having a penis isn't an issue. If you work the floors it is.

Also theres a strong possibility that you are going to work every other weekend for the rest of your life. You are going to be exposed to serious diseases. But.....you will be saving lifes. Think about that for a second. Your job is to save lifes.

I was an Respiratory Therapist for 9 years. I lost count of the number of lifes that I saved after the first two years. I got into the tech stuff and now I make double the money I was making as an RT. But I'm not saving any lifes.

BigRedChief
09-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Doesn't sound too bad.

How old are you dude?

Smed1065
09-30-2007, 03:12 AM
Nice sig.

Are you already tailgating?

:)

the Talking Can
09-30-2007, 06:27 AM
if you like writing, I'd assume you like books, and then maybe assume you might even like libraries...

think about a Masters of Library Science degree....the field is opening up right now, lots and lots of jobs...cool jobs with Corporations, Media organizations, Academic, and Public libraries, Archives...it's not like the grey haired old lady telling people to be quiet stereotype anymore...

and if you have even minimal tech skills then you can write your own ticket in the field..seriously, programs now offer all kinds of night and weekend classes for working adults, usually takes 2-3 years depending on your class load...very high job satisfaction, always learning new things....

I hated my job so much that one day I half-jokingly thought of driving off a bridge just to never have to go back. That's also when I knew I had to go back to school. Couldn't be happier with the decision.

Smed1065
09-30-2007, 07:14 AM
if you like writing, I'd assume you like books, and then maybe assume you might even like libraries...

think about a Masters of Library Science degree....the field is opening up right now, lots and lots of jobs...cool jobs with Corporations, Media organizations, Academic, and Public libraries, Archives...it's not like the grey haired old lady telling people to be quiet stereotype anymore...

and if you have even minimal tech skills then you can write your own ticket in the field..seriously, programs now offer all kinds of night and weekend classes for working adults, usually takes 2-3 years depending on your class load...very high job satisfaction, always learning new things....

I hated my job so much that one day I half-jokingly thought of driving off a bridge just to never have to go back. That's also when I knew I had to go back to school. Couldn't be happier with the decision.

Err. He use too.

:)

Spott
09-30-2007, 07:22 AM
I took a lot of those classes a few years ago when I got layed off at AT&T. I actually went back to school for Physical Therapy, but most of the core classes are the same. If you don't want to sponge bath old people and clean up blood, vomit, etc, then PT may be a good alternative.

If you do go back to school and you want to save money, I would suggest buying your books on Ebay and always buying the older version of the book. I have found that the older versions are the exact same book with a few different side articles(that are never on the test). I never had to pay more than about 8-10 bucks for a book, and I was always able to resell the books on Ebay for what I bought them for. The colleges have a real racket going on with all those new books that try to convine you that you need to have.

Skip Towne
09-30-2007, 07:26 AM

You're a librarian?

the Talking Can
09-30-2007, 07:31 AM
You're a librarian?

librarian/archivist

ClearmontChief
09-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Hey Joey,

Here's an idea for something in the Medical field...that doesn't involve wiping butts, or anything else like that that you have have to do as a CNA.

Phebotomist. WHAT'S THAT!!!

That's the person who draws blood for lab tests, collects other specimens in the lab.

It's a certification track only...and, it pays better than a CNA.

My wife is in the middle of this right now. ($700.00 tuition) 6 weeks of somewhat difficult memorization. Then, a month of clinicals. That prepares her for taking the certification exam. Once she's done, she can work in any hospital...they're in demand. And, she'll start 11.00-12.00 buck an hour.

I'm very proud of her, our kids are almost raised, now she's getting a career (jobs are full-time, 40 hour/week with bennies type) to help with the family budget. It'll be good money, and she'll carry around a tray with tubes drawing labs on patients. Nothing heavy, no butt wiping, bed changing, sponge bathing 90 year old ladies, etc.

Smed1065
09-30-2007, 07:40 AM
I must be mislead but $12.00 an hour is the starting wage for high school grads with any type of experience in Atlanta?

I made $7.00 an hour in KC in 1987 with no professional training.

Not trying to condone anyone but curious.

cdcox
09-30-2007, 07:42 AM
The colleges have a real racket going on with all those new books that try to convine you that you need to have.

You misspelled publishers.

Most books that I teach from would be okay with new editions coming out every 10 years or so. In fields like molecular biology, the creation of new knowledge in the field is coming so fast that you probably need new editions every 3 years or so.

When a minor revision of a text comes out, I normally specify the latest edition, despite the marginal value of the changes. If I specify an older edition, I'll getting a call from the bookstore telling me that there aren't enough of the older editions available.

I've had students who wanted to use the first edition when the second edition is a major upgrade. I assign problems from the new edition and they aren't in the new edition. Or problem 3 in the new edition is problem 5 in the old edition. I don't care if students use older versions if they want to take the responsibility to manage the differences, but don't expect me to help you.

Simplex3
09-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Anything medical. There are two trends in the US that you can cash in on:

1. Our desire to be young longer and "feel good" doing it. If you can stomach all the school pharmacists make a f**king killing. Physical therapists, diet and nutrition counselors, hell even personal trainers are more in demand every day.

2. Americans are scared s**tless of getting old and dying and the boomers are all getting old. My mom consults with medical offices and hospitals across the country and they ALL have a hell of a time finding qualified nurses. Keep in mind that nurses don't all work in hospitals cleaning up poo. Your family practice docs, sports medicine docs, and the rest all have nurses too.

Simplex3
09-30-2007, 08:11 AM
On a final and more general note, it's just been in the last five years or so that I figured something out:

Jobs mostly suck. They don't pay you money to do something because it's a blast. I spent several years when I was in my early 20's trying to do "jobs" that were hobbies. It never took more than about 2 or 3 months before I had ruined my hobby because now it was just a f**king job.

That isn't to say you're going to be miserable every day. I don't hate what I do. It's acceptable and all told it's a decent way to make a living. I make good money and have time to spend with my wife and kids. I've learned that life isn't about my work, work is something I do so that I can live my life.

Spott
09-30-2007, 08:31 AM
You misspelled publishers.

Most books that I teach from would be okay with new editions coming out every 10 years or so. In fields like molecular biology, the creation of new knowledge in the field is coming so fast that you probably need new editions every 3 years or so.

When a minor revision of a text comes out, I normally specify the latest edition, despite the marginal value of the changes. If I specify an older edition, I'll getting a call from the bookstore telling me that there aren't enough of the older editions available.

I've had students who wanted to use the first edition when the second edition is a major upgrade. I assign problems from the new edition and they aren't in the new edition. Or problem 3 in the new edition is problem 5 in the old edition. I don't care if students use older versions if they want to take the responsibility to manage the differences, but don't expect me to help you.

I got A's in every class I took with the older version of the book. When I took A&P, they wanted me to buy a new book. That seemed pretty silly because the previous version was only 2 years older and it's not like the human anatomy has changed in that time. When I took Microbiology, the book was literally word for word, page for page. Everyone else in the class had been suckered in to buying the new book for over 100 dollars and I paid 5 for mine. Colleges are able to get over on the younger students like that because they have always had a standardized education provided to them and they don't fully realize that they are paying for their education and they can buy any book they want outside of the institution.

BigRedChief
09-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Also here's another angle I took when I was 23. I was also an aspiring writer. I sold some stuff locally and then I got an article published in a national mag. Paid me $2,500. Instead of paying the rent, buying groceries I gambled big time and bought a one way ticket to Israel.

I heard there was a big market for fish out of water, Americanize view of their city, country etc. in Europe. I researched options for living over there and found a Kibbutz(kind of like communes in the 60's in USA, everyone shares everything). Those places will let you live there as long as you work some and will let you go travel and come and go as you please.

Worked out great. I stayed over there for about a year and a half traveling all over the Middle East and Europe writing those articles for their local papers. Didn't pay much, but enough to allow me to see that part of the world if I stayed in Hostels etc.

Obviously this isn't an option for you but the point is to think outside the box. If you got a dream go for it don't let anyone tell you that you are nuts.