PDA

View Full Version : Here's my latest column....

Phobia
09-29-2007, 05:33 PM
I apparently play second fiddle to peewee football. Scroll down to the second half of the page to view. The editor left out my by-line as well. Heh.

http://www.greenwooddispatch.com/sportsNews.html

Deberg_1990
09-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Nice column.

But youve fallen from Scout.com to the Greenwood Dispatch? OUCH. :)

Dartgod
09-29-2007, 05:45 PM
You don't even rate a byline?

Good job, btw.

Skip Towne
09-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Nice column.

But youve fallen from Scout.com to the Greenwood Dispatch? OUCH. :)
Fallen? You can't go down from WPI, only up.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Fallen? You can't go down from WPI, only up.

I guess i meant readership. How many people read the Greenwood Dispatch? 7 or 8 people at most. :)

HemiEd
09-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Nice article Phil. You are right, that pass Bowe broke up was huge. After watching that play, I thought maybe we could have Bowe play CB as well. Send him both ways.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Bowe excites me like no man ever has before.

Phobia
09-29-2007, 06:40 PM
I guess i meant readership. How many people read the Greenwood Dispatch? 7 or 8 people at most. :)

Actually, the Dispatch has a larger distribution than Warpaint by several thousand. I get people stopping me on the street asking me my Chiefs take these days. I feel kinda silly about that.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Actually, the Dispatch has a larger distribution than Warpaint by several thousand. I get people stopping me on the street asking me my Chiefs take these days. I feel kinda silly about that.

haha....so you live in Greenwood? That place has grown alot. My wifes sister lives there. We are usually up there a couple of times a year.

Phobia
09-29-2007, 06:44 PM
haha....so you live in Greenwood? That place has grown alot. My wifes sister lives there. We are usually up there a couple of times a year.

I live in the Lee's Summit area, yes.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2007, 06:49 PM

Thats cool.....now theres a town thats blown up over the past 20 years....

Skip Towne
09-29-2007, 06:50 PM
I'd just refer them to Hootie.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2007, 06:51 PM
I'd just refer them to Hootie.

Or Mecca.. ROFL

Easy 6
09-29-2007, 08:02 PM
People had better get used to the idea of Jared Allen not being on the B-List anymore.

If he can approximate this kind of performance the rest of the season, he will be a Bona-Fide STAR.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2007, 08:06 PM
People had better get used to the idea of Jared Allen not being on the B-List anymore.

If he can approximate this kind of performance the rest of the season, he will be a Bona-Fide STAR.

He will command a Bona-Fide payday as well.

Smed1065
09-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Nice job.

Easy 6
09-29-2007, 08:20 PM
He will command a Bona-Fide payday as well.

If he keeps it up, it will be $$$ well spent.

go bo
09-29-2007, 09:25 PM
better than whitless, that's for sure...

overall, i'd give the article a b or maby a b minus...

quite good, actually...

your writing skills are sound enough...

for a fat-head, that is... :p :p :p

Fire Me Boy!
09-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Some grammatical and style problems in there, but overall I enjoyed the piece... when I worked at the newspaper I didn't get to do too many editorial pieces... the publisher was the only person that got to do one regularly (there were a few times I wrote them for her).

Anyway... also noticed "Barring an unfortunate Sylvester Morris-style injury, Bowe should provide many years of big-play ability for Chiefs fans"... would that be after I brought it up in the thread the other day?

:p

Phobia
09-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Anyway... also noticed "Barring an unfortunate Sylvester Morris-style injury, Bowe should provide many years of big-play ability for Chiefs fans"... would that be after I brought it up in the thread the other day?

:p

Nah, I wrote that at about 6:00 PM Sunday. It appeared in the print edition Tuesday and didn't hit the web until earlier today.

Fire Me Boy!
09-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Nah, I wrote that at about 6:00 PM Sunday. It appeared in the print edition Tuesday and didn't hit the web until earlier today.
Uh oh!!!

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4239136&postcount=9

3:23 p.m. Sunday... :D

alanm
09-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I have 2 Uncle's who live there as well.

Phobia
09-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Uh oh!!!

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4239136&postcount=9

3:23 p.m. Sunday... :DOh. Well no wonder she didn't put my by-line on it. It turns out you wrote the thing.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Some grammatical and style problems in there

He needs an editor...

Phobia
09-30-2007, 06:31 AM
He needs an editor...
My editor failed me last week.

Fire Me Boy!
09-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Oh. Well no wonder she didn't put my by-line on it. It turns out you wrote the thing.
I'm just ****ing with you, Phil. As a writer, too, I know how it works. We always borrow things we hear and see, and it's not a conscious thing and it's certainly not on purpose or malicious. We've all done it. I was just messing around because I remembered it being something we talked briefly about.

Skip Towne
09-30-2007, 07:29 AM
When I first started entertaining the idea of us having a great WR, SlyMo was the first thing I thought of.

Phobia
09-30-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm just ****ing with you, Phil. As a writer, too, I know how it works. We always borrow things we hear and see, and it's not a conscious thing and it's certainly not on purpose or malicious. We've all done it. I was just messing around because I remembered it being something we talked briefly about.
Oh, I know. I'm giving it right back to you.

Phobia
09-30-2007, 08:20 AM
FWIW, I've gotten a couple "punctuation" and "style" comments. I'd be interested in specifics so I can correct them in future columns. I think I usually make my editors job fairly easy and I want to continue that trend.

Fire Me Boy!
09-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Oh, I know. I'm giving it right back to you.
OK. :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
09-30-2007, 08:44 AM
FWIW, I've gotten a couple "punctuation" and "style" comments. I'd be interested in specifics so I can correct them in future columns. I think I usually make my editors job fairly easy and I want to continue that trend.

Jared Allen and his defensive line-mates got fed up with losing to the Vikings Sunday afternoon. Most of the people you talk to are going to say something about a “tale of two halves” or “the real Chiefs finally showed up in the second half”. Those who espouse this analysis have forgotten a critical series of plays in the game. These plays set the entire tone for the remainder of the game. They swung momentum from the Vikings over to the Chiefs and they occurred in the first half.

<ul>1st and 10 at KC 33: (1:15) M.Moore up the middle to KC 30 for 3 yards (J.Allen) - Timeout #2 by MIN at 00:34.

2nd and 7 at KC 30: (:34) K.Holcomb pass incomplete deep middle to R.Ferguson

3rd and 7 at KC 30: (:28) (Shotgun) K.Holcomb sacked at KC 40 for -10 yards (J.Allen) - Timeout #3 by MIN at 00:03 - Timeout #2 by KC at 00:03

4th and 17 at KC 40: (:02) (Shotgun) K.Holcomb sacked at MIN 49 for -11 yards (J.Allen)</ul>

First, Allen makes a nice stop and then Holcomb throws a hurried incompletion on second down. The Vikings are still in good position to attempt a makeable field goal before the half, but Allen beats his would-be blocker to the outside and sacks Holcomb for a loss of 10 yards. Since they’ve been taken out of field goal range, the Vikings attempt one last pass before the half and Allen again sacks Holcomb.

When the Chiefs returned from the locker room for the second half they were ready to play. From Cunningham and Solari up in the box to special teams role players, everybody sporting an Arrowhead logo on their body was inspired by the play of Jared Allen at the end of the first half. Isn’t it exciting to have a game MVP other than the team’s punter?

Open Offense

As offensive coordinator, Mike Solari [the usage you had should be lower case… if you'd said "Offensive Coordinator Mike Solari" without the 'As' and without the comma, you'd be fine with capitals] began sending in plays designed to stretch the field, Chiefs fans finally witnessed the full potential of first round draft pick [no comma after a title, 'draft pick' being Bowe's title in this case] Dwayne Bowe. The rookie hauled in difficult passes in tight coverage that resembled star wide receivers that have been in the league for many years. He even transformed into a defensive back at one point and knocked away an errant throw from Huard that had been destined for either of two Vikings defenders nearby. His leaping grab in the back of the end-zone was big-time. Barring an unfortunate Sylvester Morris-style injury, Bowe should provide many years of big-play ability for Chiefs fans.

State of the Division

The 2-1 Denver Broncos are still leading the AFC West despite their 14-23 loss to the Jaguars. The remainder of the division is log jammed at 1-2 for second place. That tie will be broken when the Chiefs meet the Chargers in San Diego at 3:15 PM on September 30th. A game most Chiefs fans had marked as a loss suddenly looks winnable as the Chargers struggle to adapt to the systems of two new coordinators and a new head coach. The Chargers looked like such a physically-gifted team that even Norv Turner couldn’t screw up a pre-destined AFC West championship, but things are not looking so rosy in San Diego at this juncture. I don’t want to jinx anything for the Chiefs, but 1-3 isn’t where either club wants to be to start October. If the Chiefs steal this one, they’ll enter the final three quarters of the season with renewed excitement and an opportunity to contend.

BigRedChief
09-30-2007, 08:58 AM
So does about half the Chiefs team and most of the former Chiefs that have stayed around the area.

StcChief
09-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Nice read Phobia
I agree completely, watching the end of the half.

I said to my fellow Chief fan here in LambLand, "that should wake the Chiefs up".