PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any gas mileage wisdom or tricks to share?

alnorth
09-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I noticed an interesting article about a driver who is able to get stupifyingly high gas mileage on ordinary non-hybrid cars.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2007/01/king_of_the_hypermilers.html

Obviously the driver in this article is bats**t insane. Saving a few mpg's is nice and all, but I'm not going to risk my life by taking 270-degree turns at 50mph or ride an 18-wheeler's ass to get some help from the draft. However, there were some things in that article that seemed worthwhile.

Do you have any tips or driving habits that you use to save gas mileage?

Coach
09-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Instead of flooring it hard from the street lights, you'd save some gas there.

Same applies for slamming too hard on your brakes.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Drive Less.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Acetone is an interesting one. Supposedly debunked by Mythbusters, but tons of people swear by it.

Skip Towne
09-30-2007, 09:59 PM
I noticed an interesting article about a driver who is able to get stupifyingly high gas mileage on ordinary non-hybrid cars.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2007/01/king_of_the_hypermilers.html

Obviously the driver in this article is bats**t insane. Saving a few mpg's is nice and all, but I'm not going to risk my life by taking 270-degree turns at 50mph or ride an 18-wheeler's ass to get some help from the draft. However, there were some things in that article that seemed worthwhile.

Do you have any tips or driving habits that you use to save gas mileage?
I saw a blurb on TV about guys getting 100 mpg and more out of ordinary vehicles. Most of them were hillbillies who shut the engine off to coast down hills, going really slow on interstates and generally making a nusiance of themselves. They said people give them the finger a lot.

alnorth
09-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Instead of flooring it hard from the street lights, you'd save some gas there.

Same applies for slamming too hard on your brakes.

I started doing that in town now. I used to take off when the light turned green, and slam the brakes when it turns red. Now I try to anticipate the light and avoid braking when reasonably possible. If I dont think I have any chance to get there before it turns red, I'll shift neutral (I drive a stick) and coast down there slowly, no sense in rushing to a red light.

When leaving a parking lot on the way home today, I noticed that there was oncoming traffic that would force me to stop if I bolted to the intersection, so I just lazily drove over at 15 mph, and just as I got there, the last car sped past and I could merge in without braking.

I'll see how it goes for this tank of gas.

PastorMikH
09-30-2007, 10:06 PM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/Get50MpgInYourOwnCar.aspx

Read this article on MSN Money a week or so back, thought it was pretty interesting. Of the things listed, a few that were actually somewhat practical...

Turn off engine at lights
Park where you don't have to back out
Watch lights from a distance and try to pace yourself so you hit lights on green