PDA

View Full Version : Woody Paige rips Jay Cutler

Hammock Parties
10-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Oh what a beautiful morning oh what a beautiful day....

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7049010

Shanny, take some cuts at Cutler
By Woody Paige
Denver Post Staff Columnist

Indianapolis - Preferring not to replicate Mark Antony's inelegance at Caesar's funeral, Mike Shanahan came Sunday evening to praise Jay Cutler, not to bury him.

"I was really pleased with Jay's effort, and he keeps getting better," said the coach - in spite of the Broncos' 38-20 defeat to the Colts.

The young quarterback wasn't quite as generous with his tribute for Shanahan. When asked about the Broncos' continued misfortunes near their opponents' goal line, Cutler responded: "You're asking the wrong person. I run what's called."

There wasn't a presence of malice in Cutler's expression, but there also wasn't any acceptance of blame.

Cutler took the matter-of-fact, assembly-line "I'm just doing my job" road often traveled. Cutler didn't deflect the attention when he was commended in the pressers after the Broncos' victories over Buffalo and Oakland. (He didn't show up to talk after the loss to Jacksonville.)

You don't have to get rid of the Beatles haircut, Jay, but grow up.

The coach didn't even rebuke the quarterback for a critical interception (on a short slant) in the third quarter that set up Indianapolis to score its second touchdown in three minutes and take a 28-13 lead.

The quarterback acted as if he weren't even in the building on the turning-point play.

Definitely in the Dome, on the other side, was diamond-cutter Peyton Manning. As usual, he turned a hard rock into a precious jewel.

At the goal, Manning, who recently won a Super Bowl, knows exactly what to do. He never says, "I just run whatever they send in."

Cutler might want to study Manning, although the former went to Vanderbilt, the latter to Tennessee.

But Cutler, matter-of-factly again, sort of dismissed Manning in his postgame (tooth-pulling) address.

"I had glimpses" of Manning "during the game," Cutler said.

He also said this: "I really don't have a clue what he's doing" when Manning is changing calls at the line, moving people around, adjusting to the defense.

Get a clue, Cutler.

You won't always have a coach protecting your back, quarterback.

Cutler hasn't been the friendliest guy in Denver, and he hasn't been the greatest quarterback in Denver. He doesn't quite get yet that he's a public figure in a big city, small town, and the stuff he does on the field and off will be judged. At least, he could give credit to his coach and also to the man who is the best on-field general in the game.

Manning is who Cutler should aspire to be.

Truth is, the Broncos have been rather unimpressive in the red zone in four games, and Cutler is a part of the problem. Shanahan, who used to be known nationally for his brilliance and creativity near the goalposts, may have become too conservative, but Cutler's inexperience and naiveté and lack of spontaneity are part of the cause.

The Broncos have become a field-goal team, not a touchdown team.

The Broncos played about as well as they could on Sunday.

Therein lies the difference between the Broncos and the Colts. The Colts are what the Broncos were previously. They can score from anywhere, anytime, anyhow. The Broncos have to slow the tempo by running the ball five consecutive times to open the game. They did it effectively, but eventually they have to try to win the game, not keep it close.

They reached deep in Colts territory three times in the first half and ended up with two field goals and a touchdown. Ultimately, the Colts beat the Broncos at their own game as Joseph Addai outrushed Travis Henry 136-131 yards.

The Broncos are just not in a class with the Colts, particularly here, although they may be in the same division with the likes of San Diego, Oakland and Kansas City, which aren't great shakes, either.

But the Chargers loom - thank goodness for Norv Turner - followed by Pittsburgh and Green Bay and, yegads, Detroit, Kansas City and Tennessee. Nothing is easy.

And 15, 23, 14 and 20 points won't win many, if any, games, especially if the offense, the defense, the special teams, the coach and the quarterback are on the same page - the wrong page.

At some point, as Billy Shakespeare might say in his playbook, Cutler has to acknowledge some blame, and Shanahan has to attribute some to him.

On Sunday, the Colts still were the horses in the NFL, and the Broncos were also-rans.

siberian khatru
10-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Elvis Cutler

Mile High Mania
10-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Woody is a woman.

siberian khatru
10-01-2007, 07:38 AM
At the goal, Manning, who recently won a Super Bowl, knows exactly what to do. He never says, "I just run whatever they send in."

In fairness, though, Woody overlooks Peyton's infamous "I'm trying to be a good teammate here ... we had some problems with protection" remark a couple of playoffs ago.

Hammock Parties
10-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Jake Utler is too stoned most of the time to care.

Skip Towne
10-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Music to my ears.

pikesome
10-01-2007, 07:51 AM
What happened to Denver, they used to be able to polish what looked like turds?

Easy 6
10-01-2007, 07:52 AM
What happened to Denver, they used to be able to polish what looked like turds?

Nobody stays on top forever...

Dartgod
10-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Therein lies the difference between the Broncos and the Colts. The Colts are what the Broncos were previously. They can score from anywhere, anytime, anyhow.
What? When was the last time the Donkey O was capable of that since Horseface retired?

Hammock Parties
10-01-2007, 07:56 AM
What? When was the last time the Donkey O was capable of that since Horseface retired?

That is what Woody is referring to.

pikesome
10-01-2007, 07:56 AM

Woody's so old senility is setting in. For him it seems like it was just last season.

Dartgod
10-01-2007, 08:07 AM
That is what Woody is referring to.
I suppose, the tone of the article sounds as if this is a recent occurrence.

StcChief
10-01-2007, 08:13 AM
and it couldn't happen to nicer guys. Cheatin' Donxs.

Mile High Mania
10-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Woody is a putz... rather than bash Cutler for what was his 9th NFL start, why not just focus on the obvious and that's a horrific defense.

Cutler didn't have Walker and not having your #1 WR is going to hurt any QB, esp one that is still in a learning curve.

I'm not getting too carried away with the wins or the losses at this point. No team from this division looks good, so we'll see how it goes during the next 2 weeks.

Cutler is getting his baptism by fire on the field and in the media... 2 weeks ago, they were comparing him to Elway and now he's failed. It's the media.

By the way, Woody sez "And 15, 23, 14 and 20 points won't win many, if any, games, especially if the offense, the defense, the special teams, the coach and the quarterback are on the same page - the wrong page."

That's not what Herm sez...

the Talking Can
10-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Woody Paige is functionally retarded.

Braincase
10-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Coming soon.... photo's of Jay Cutler's mom feeding him chicken by the team bus.

Fish
10-01-2007, 09:08 AM
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1153/jcutlerstonedgl6.jpg

"I really don't have a clue what he's doing"

RINGLEADER
10-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Sorry but the Broncos are underwhelming IMO. If the Bills defensive back was smart enough to lay on Javon Walker for one second (instead of hopping up as fast as possible) and Janikowski was able to kick a field goal they'd be 0-4 right now. Seriously folks, they almost lost to the Raiders at home.

Dr. Van Halen
10-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I get the impression that Woody is giving Cutler this treatment because he isn't making himself readily available to the press.

I've heard of this before, when a player doesn't go out of his way for the media, he gets blasted in the paper.

cookster50
10-01-2007, 10:25 AM
That was a horribly written article. Almost unreadable.

cookster50
10-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Cutler reminds me a lot of Croyle. Both seem clueless.

Mile High Mania
10-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Sorry but the Broncos are underwhelming IMO. If the Bills defensive back was smart enough to lay on Javon Walker for one second (instead of hopping up as fast as possible) and Janikowski was able to kick a field goal they'd be 0-4 right now. Seriously folks, they almost lost to the Raiders at home.

Nobody in the AFCW looks good... seriously, KC almost lost to the 1-3 Vikings in KC. Every team in this division has issues.

beach tribe
10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Nobody in the AFCW looks good... seriously, KC almost lost to the 1-3 Vikings in KC. Every team in this division has issues.
DLR looks like hes hungry for Penass in your av.

Hes got nice hair plugs too.

Frazod
10-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Well, I certainly hope Cutler is as much as a douche as Woody implies. If so, I guess it's only a matter of time before he trips over his dog and bounces down his driveway. :)

Bearcat
10-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Cutler responded: "You're asking the wrong person. I run what's called."

He also said this: "I really don't have a clue what he's doing" when Manning is changing calls at the line, moving people around, adjusting to the defense.
The Broncos have become a field-goal team, not a touchdown team.

The Broncos have to slow the tempo by running the ball five consecutive times to open the game. They did it effectively, but eventually they have to try to win the game, not keep it close.

They reached deep in Colts territory three times in the first half and ended up with two field goals and a touchdown.

He's not talking about Huard and the Chiefs? :hmmm:

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Cutler isn't a leader. He's been described as a loner and insulated. Pretty much the last qualities you'd ever want to have in a QB.

He's probably going to have a similar career arc to Grbac.

tk13
10-01-2007, 12:07 PM
The scary thing is, if that had actually happened, the Raiders would be in first place.

Chief Faithful
10-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Cutler isn't the Donk problem the problem is their defense and OLine. If the Chiefs had Cutler, Huard would be on the bench.