PDA

View Full Version : Stumppy jr and his willard tigers 5-0

MOhillbilly
10-01-2007, 03:50 PM
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007709290401

Willard — The renovation to a now-sparkling football stadium at Willard High School isn't quite complete. The new concession stand needs work and there a few loose ends here and there to tie up. Fitting, it seems, for this Willard football team. The Tigers pushed their record to 5-0 for the first time in school history with a 35-28 overtime victory over Central Ozark Conference rival Branson on Friday night, but coach Phil Wickwar wasn't making any bold proclamations just yet.
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); http://gcirm.ozarksnow.gcion.com/RealMedia/.ads/adstream_lx.ads/mo-springfield.ozarksnow.com/sports/football/article.htm/2033478612/ArticleFlex_1/OasDefault/Games_house/games_jigsaw300.jpg/34623066613063323437303136613530?_RM_EMPTY_ http://www.news-leader.com/graphics/trans.gif "We're going to enjoy this one for 24 hours," Wickwar said. "But we're still a work in progress. It's a great win for our program, but we're going to see a lot of things that might not fly in the near future. It's a process." Garrett Mayfield rushed for 103 yards on 13 carries and Ryan Barker ran for three touchdowns for a balanced Willard offensive attack that accounted for 357 total yards. After a wild second half, it took overtime for the Class 4 No. 10 Tigers to put away Branson (1-4, 0-2) in its COC opener. On the first overtime possession Willard converted a fourth-and-1 from the Branson 16 on a quarterback sneak by Colter Huff and went ahead four plays later when Barker plunged into the end zone from a yard out. Branson then got its chance —both teams get a possession from the opponent's 25 according to high school overtime rules —but junior running back Shawn Turner was stripped as he crossed the Willard 20 and the ball flew into the hands of Tigers' defensive back Bryce Harris.
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_2'); http://gcirm.ozarksnow.gcion.com/RealMedia/.ads/adstream_lx.ads/mo-springfield.ozarksnow.com/sports/football/article.htm/1851722292/ArticleFlex_2/OasDefault/Moms_Little_Pony_contest/littlePony_sweep300.jpg/34623066613063323437303136613530?_RM_EMPTY_ http://www.news-leader.com/graphics/trans.gif While Willard stormed on to the field in celebration, the Pirates quietly huddled around coach Steve Hancock and a crestfallen Turner, who had 138 yards on 21 carries. "It was tough for him because he takes all the burden on his shoulders," Hancock said of Turner. "But he played a great ballgame and did some really good things. "Sometimes it happens that way and who knows why. It wasn't a lack of effort or him not going full-speed. It's just tough on a kid when that happens." It was Turner who gave the Pirates hope just when it seemed Willard had finally seized the momentum. After Barker scored on a 1-yard run to give Willard a 28-21 lead with 7:29 left and cap a 14-play, 74-yard drive, Turner rumbled 69 yards on the next play from scrimmage to tie it at 28. Each team would have two more chances in regulation, but fail to capitalize. Branson drove to the Willard 29 with just under four minutes left, but was turned away when a 4th-and-3 pass from Caleb Roberts was broken up by John England. "It's a big-time win for us," said Willard quarterback Colter Huff, who was 10-for-20 passing for 107 yards. "It shows us that we can compete with Ozark and Nixa and teams like that." Junior Justin Cobb, who caught a first-quarter touchdown pass from Huff, took it even a step further. "We knew we were going to win," Cobb said. "We weren't going to give up when they came back. That was the old Willard. This is the new Willard."

PastorMikH
10-01-2007, 04:37 PM
With as much discretion as possible, what position does Jr play and how much time is he seeing?

BTW, Congrats Stumpy!!

MTG#10
10-01-2007, 04:46 PM
I graduated from Wilard in '97 and live there now. Not that anyone cares...

stumppy
10-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Thatnks for posting this Mo.
Yea, they've been kicking some butt this year.

stumppy
10-01-2007, 04:51 PM
With as much discretion as possible, what position does Jr play and how much time is he seeing?

BTW, Congrats Stumpy!!

Thanks.
He plays WR and Cornerback. Some weeks he's the starter some weeks not. But he does play every game. Not much production on the Off. side so far but no screw-ups either.

PastorMikH
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks.
He plays WR and Cornerback. Some weeks he's the starter some weeks not. But he does play every game. Not much production on the Off. side so far but no screw-ups either.

Cool! WRs in HS sometimes are just responsible for downfield blocking for the RB. Your O throw much?

PastorMikH
10-01-2007, 04:56 PM

One of the best barbers I ever went to was in Willard down on main street. He was old then and that was in the early 90s, so I doubt he's still there. In fact, he's the barber that broke me from styling salons.

stumppy
10-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Cool! WRs in HS sometimes are just responsible for downfield blocking for the RB. Your O throw much?

It's pretty balanced. Probably 60/40.
This is the 2cnd year (I think) for this coach, needless to say I like him a lot better than the last one.

MOhillbilly
10-01-2007, 05:38 PM

93'

MOhillbilly
10-01-2007, 05:40 PM
It's pretty balanced. Probably 60/40.
This is the 2cnd year (I think) for this coach, needless to say I like him a lot better than the last one.
i read where the qb is 6-5 195. hear theyre pretty fast. the coc is a brutal division.
whos up in districts?

Tribal Warfare
10-01-2007, 05:41 PM

a year 2000 grad myself

ChiefsCountry
10-01-2007, 05:41 PM
It looks like Willard is getting into the real meat of the schedule - Nixa, Ozark, Carthage, Republic. Being undeafted is great but Central, Buffalo, and Reeds Spring arent that great.