PDA

View Full Version : NFL violates cheerleaders' constitutional rights to free expression

Rain Man
10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I prostrate myself and beg your forgiveness if this is a repost, but I saw it in the newspaper the other day and meant to post it. I've searched and searched and can't find a previous thread anywhere, and this is too important to let slide. I pray to god that it's not a repost.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/14215888/detail.html

Colts Applaud NFL Move To Quash Cheerleader 'Distraction'
Colts Players Say They Approve Of Move

INDIANAPOLIS -- Cheerleaders have become the latest target, or possible scapegoat, in the National Football League's efforts to stop sideline distractions.

The league has issued a new rule about what cheerleaders can and cannot do outside an opposing team's locker room, 6Sports' Dave Furst reported.

There has not been a public announcement on the issue, but an internal memo sent to all of the league's teams spelled out the new policy, which bans cheerleaders from stretching or warming up in front of the visiting team's lockers.

"We played down in Tennessee, and it was like something from a movie," said Indianapolis Colts cornerback Marlin Jackson. "You come into the locker room and they're lined up stretching. I was like, 'What's going on here?' It's like something from 'The Longest Yard.' They're in here stretching. We're trying to get warmed up. I think that's a good rule to have."

The Tennessee Titans cheerleaders have followed this cheerleader warmup routine for the past couple of seasons, with little effect on the single players, according to several Colts 6Sports talked with.

"You might (do a double-take) but you're more focused on the task at hand," said Colts cornerback Kelvin Hayden.

"There's been cheerleaders since peewee football," said Colts free safety Antoine Bethea. "We're here for business. We're here to work. So, if that's what they decide to do, we're just going to go out there and play football."

Married Colts players said the cheerleaders have had less effect on them than anybody else in the locker room.

"I don't know anything about it. If I did, I probably wouldn't care to comment on it," said Colts linebacker Rob Morris, with a laugh. "I didn't even know there were cheerleaders in the NFL."

The policy leaves cheerleaders' jittering and gyrations for the fans, something Colts players said is where it should be.

Six NFL teams don't have cheerleaders.

DaFace
10-01-2007, 09:14 PM
EPOSTRAY!!!!

Just kidding. I haven't seen it.

Rain Man
10-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Don't mess with me. I have a sensitive psyche.

DaFace
10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I do have to wonder how the filter for the word "repost" is set up. I tried all caps, spaced out, and hyphenated, and it got it every time.

repost
repost!!
I have nothing to add
I have nothing to add
R.E.P.O.S.T
rEpOsT

:hmmm:

As for the actual topic, that just seems goofy. If a player can be distracted from playing the game by a couple hot girls, he shouldn't be playing in the NFL.

EDIT: Perhaps if they were making out or something, I could understand. But I would need video evidence in order to make an informed conclusion.

Valiant
10-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Which 6 teams do not have cheerleaders??

Rain Man
10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Which 6 teams do not have cheerleaders??

The ones with the smallest crowds, I'll bet.

The Steelers are one, I know. Anyone ever seen a Jets cheerleader? Bears?

banyon
10-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Um, not free speech.

Valiant
10-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Yeah I guess, probably all the northern state open air stadiums..

There is Pittsburgh, Green bay, Chicago

KurtCobain
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Teams dont have cheerleaders? WTF?

Coach
10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh hell, if their idea of free expression is flashing me, I'd say that's a hell of a violation of their constitutional rights!

Rain Man
10-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Um, not free speech.

You're on the wrong side of this issue.

banyon
10-01-2007, 09:39 PM
You're on the wrong side of this issue.

Hey, I'm not denying them access to my apartment, just the Constitution.

Rain Man
10-01-2007, 09:44 PM

The Founding Fathers acknowledged my right to pursue happiness. Doesn't this fall under that clause?

10-01-2007, 09:46 PM

Yeah, well... the Steelers are also the team with the most female fans too.

Adept Havelock
10-01-2007, 09:53 PM
The Founding Fathers acknowledged my right to pursue happiness. Doesn't this fall under that clause?

Ben Franklin would certainly think so. As do I.

banyon
10-01-2007, 10:11 PM

Pursuit of Happiness...unfortunately not a part of our Constitution.

Skip Towne
10-01-2007, 10:19 PM
How can I get in on this?

SoCalBronco
10-01-2007, 10:21 PM
The NFL is not a state actor.

Game, set, match.

Rain Man
10-01-2007, 10:48 PM

Oh. Yeah. That other old paper.

wazu
10-01-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure this means much for the Chiefs.

patteeu
10-02-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm developing a theory that the entire Indianapolis Colts roster is gay. I mean isn't "I didn't even know there were cheerleaders in the NFL" something only a gay guy would say?

StcChief
10-02-2007, 06:32 AM
they are part of the NFL show. and the show must go on. Stretch it elsewhere honey.

the Talking Can
10-02-2007, 06:41 AM
I'll stretch them.

OPChief
10-02-2007, 06:48 AM
"You come into the locker room and they're lined up stretching."

This thread is worthless without pics.

trndobrd
10-02-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm developing a theory that the entire Indianapolis Colts roster is gay. I mean isn't "I didn't even know there were cheerleaders in the NFL" something only a gay guy would say?

Sounds like the basis for one of those $250k government research grants, like "women talk more than men" to prove something everybody already knows.

Duck Dog
10-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Um, not free speech.

:rolleyes:

trndobrd
10-02-2007, 07:52 AM

The Constitution is a living, breathing document. It encompasses not just the literal words of the documents, but the intent of the Framers as well.

Thomas Jefferson, although not one of the members of the Constitutional Convention in a letter to Roger C. Weightman, June 24, 1826 wrote,

All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately, by the grace of God.

No clearer statement in support of NFL cheerleaders stretching has ever been penned. Not only the free thinking Jefferson, but also Hamilton supported the rights of NFL cheerleaders. Hamilton going to far as to support the rights of NFL cheerleaders to make out in bathroom stalls.

In Federalist 84, Alexander Hamiliton specifically said "If, therefore, the loud clamors against the plan of the convention, on this score, are well founded, no epithets of reprobation will be too strong for the constitution of this State. But the truth is, that both of them contain all which, in relation to their objects, is reasonably to be desired."

Kerberos
10-02-2007, 09:24 AM

According to the movie it IS more part of our Constitution compared to the "pursuit of happyness"

Mr. Laz
10-02-2007, 09:54 AM
how freakin lame is that

if a professional football player gets distracted enough by a cheerleader stretching ...... he doesn't belong in the NFL.

i sense a religious angle somewhere