PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski: It’s time for LJ to take off his diapers

Hammock Parties
10-04-2007, 10:06 PM
YEEHAW! Now LJ's gonna run for 250 yards.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/304256.html

JOE POSNANSKI COMMENTARY
Posnanski: It’s time for LJ to take off his diapers

Every so often as a citizen, it is important to do some community service. Sometimes this means supporting a great fund-raiser like the Harvester’s Dan Quisenberry golf tournament or buying garbage bags from kids so they can buy uniforms for the high school band. Sometimes this means writing an annual column that will tick off Larry Johnson.

It really is for the better good.

Everybody understands that Chiefs running back Larry Johnson runs his best when angry. This has been the subject of about 394 newspaper and magazine stories — the chip on LJ’s shoulder has its own press agent. Johnson, you know, made the superstar scene about three years ago, shortly after his coach, Dick Vermeil, said it was time for him to take off the diapers and play.

This made Johnson extremely mad. You would think Vermeil called him a baby or something. Oh wait, I guess you could read it that way. Anyway, Johnson hit the field like Clint Eastwood walking into the saloon at the end of “Unforgiven.”

He was running behind a well-oiled offensive line then, sure, but he also smashed into holes. He scored two touchdowns in five straight games. He was fueled by his rage, hunger, and he powered through tackles, and he fought for every yard like the football field was his inheritance.

LJ became the starter in 2005 and rushed for 1,750-plus yards two straight seasons, scored 37 touchdowns those two years, looked liked a modern day Jim Brown.

Then he became famous. Hung out with rappers. Did soup commercials. Rung the bell at the stock market. Held out for a big contract. Got a big contract. Made a grand entrance for the HBO cameras.

And, all of a sudden, guess what: It’s time for LJ to take off the diapers again.

Sunday, the Chiefs had their most surprising victory in, what, 10 years? More? They were two-touchdown underdogs playing at San Diego against a Chargers team that was looking to put a hurting on somebody. The Chiefs fell behind 10-0, and the game was so over the stadium operations people sent out the cleaning crew. Then, as you know, the Chiefs pulled off some sort of $125-a-night Vegas magic act — the defense got nasty, Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez got busy, and LJ finished off the stunning victory by gaining a few yards.

After the game, the Chiefs’ locker room was about as joyous as I’ve ever seen.

And Larry Johnson stormed off and refused to talk to the news media.

Now, most of the time, I don’t care when athletes refuse to talk to reporters after a game. That’s their business. Some athletes don’t feel comfortable talking to the press. Some feel like they’ve been burned by the media, and they want to burn back. Some players are usually accommodating, but every so often they have a bad day — that’s understandable. I’ve started working out with a trainer this week, and I’m in so much pain I don’t feel like talking to my own wife. So I can understand being a tad grumpy after getting hit by men roughly the size of Schwan’s trucks.

This was different: The Chiefs had won. They had, for the time being, saved their season. They had even moved into first place in the AFC West. It was all good. And then Johnson pulled his grumpy J.D. Salinger act. Why? Well, his own teammates, (some on the record like Brian Waters, some off the record) suspected it was because Johnson was frustrated that he didn’t put up big numbers.

This is bad. Very bad. The Chiefs win a huge game, Johnson rushes for 123 yards (most of them at the end of the game, but still) and he’s stomping around? This is like Chapter 1 in the How to be a Bad Teammate book. It might even be the introduction.

Truth is, Johnson has been acting like this all season. He had that bizarre rap-song episode where he may or may not have said “bleep Carl Peterson,” (if it wasn’t him, there are only about 1.96 million suspects in the greater Kansas City area). Johnson threw the ball to the ground in Chicago because he didn’t like the play calling. He publicly called out his coaches with his own version of the Nixon Checkers speech, (“It’s not a chess game,” he said. “It’s checkers. When they’re looking for the run, you pass. When they’re looking to pass, you run.”)

In other words, LJ has been a pain in the neck all season. And it’s one thing to act the superstar when you are playing like a superstar. Johnson isn’t. His numbers are way down (3.5 yards per carry says a lot), and while it’s easy to say that’s entirely because of a struggling offensive line or play calling, it also seems to me that Johnson is not running the same. He’s dancing around, waiting around, looking around for the big run rather than just putting his head down and blasting through.

Things are different for LJ now. He signed a big-money contract in the offseason, and his status changed along with his tax bracket. He’s a star now. He’s a leader, like it or not. He’s a guy everyone on the team studies. He’s a top pick in all the fantasy leagues. He’s the jersey fans buy. Everybody’s watching. He’s hurting himself by pouting over his numbers or whining over play calls or storming out after huge victories.

As one Chiefs insider says: “Larry needs to be very careful now. People don’t want to hear him complaining. People want to see him performing.”

Personally, I think he will perform. He just needs a little help. People forget that Johnson started slow last year, too. He had back-to-back weeks against Pittsburgh and Arizona where he had 62 yards — combined.

That’s when I wrote the first annual, “Let’s get LJ angry” column. He ran for 132 yards that Sunday, 155 yards the next week, 172 yards the week after. I’m not saying that it was because of the column. No, I’m just saying, “Hey, LJ, take off the diapers, pal.”

Hammock Parties
10-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Johnson threw the ball to the ground in Chicago because he didn’t like the play calling.

Sounds like the KC Star needs an editor...

Hammock Parties
10-04-2007, 10:10 PM
JOPO ROCKS!

Extra Point
10-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Run, Run, first down.
Pass, first down.
Play action fake, Pass, first down.
Run, Run, first down.
Corner pass in the endzone. TD.

Mix and repeat.

The homer JoPo finally wrote what needed to be written.

PO'd, Larry? We're callin' you out.

BigRedChief
10-04-2007, 10:19 PM
LJ is defintely going to be pissed when he hears about this. Thanks JoPo!

HonestChieffan
10-04-2007, 10:25 PM
He needs to put some numbers up to pay off his big mouth issues....

tk13
10-04-2007, 10:32 PM
He wasn't too happy last year when we beat the Niners, because he had a bad game. Even though we won by 41 points.

Hammock Parties
10-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Wouldn't it be weird if LJ played fantasy football and always drafted himself?

L.A. Chieffan
10-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Good. GC, you should write an entire article calling LJ a bitch and say something along the lines of he could NEVER lead us to the promised land because he has no HEART and he's just a POSER.

That should go over well.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Good. GC, you should write an entire article calling LJ a bitch and say something along the lines of he could NEVER lead us to the promised land because he has no HEART and he's just a POSER.

That should go over well.

Screw you.

L.A. Chieffan
10-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Screw you.
Bye Bye Pulitzer...

Hammock Parties
10-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Don't be stupid. Nothing I write has any chance of winning a national media award.

L.A. Chieffan
10-05-2007, 12:24 AM
You probably never heard of him GC, but have you ever read any T.J. Simers?

L.A. Chieffan
10-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Don't be stupid. Nothing I write has any chance of winning a national media award.
Don't be so modest, I actually think you have some talent as a writer.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Don't be so modest, I actually think you have some talent as a writer.

No doubt about it. But I'm still not winning any awards.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2007, 12:27 AM
You probably never heard of him GC, but have you ever read any T.J. Simers?

No. Let me google him.

L.A. Chieffan
10-05-2007, 12:30 AM
He's a writer for the LA times. He's not a bad writer but basically his gimmick is to bash all local sports as much as possible as kind of a motivation technique. He does it mainly in a tongue in cheek fashion but nevertheless it riles everybody up and gives him lots of attention.

kcxiv
10-05-2007, 01:40 AM
T.J needs to lay into the Lakers and the Dodgers all the damn time. ****ing 2 teams are pissing me off, especially the Dodgers. 1988. I was 12 years old :(

DenverChief
10-05-2007, 02:35 AM

why?

J Diddy
10-05-2007, 02:46 AM

http://www.movv.com/prvupload/uploads/super_retard_stfu.jpg

Hammock Parties
10-05-2007, 02:48 AM
why?

Johnson threw the ball to the ground against Minnesota, not Chicago.

Lzen
10-05-2007, 07:58 AM

Did that happen in the Minnesota game? That's what I thought when I first read that.

StcChief
10-05-2007, 08:00 AM
whatever works to get the LJ train rollin'

Lzen
10-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Did that happen in the Minnesota game? That's what I thought when I first read that.

I guess I should read the entire thread before asking questions like that.

siberian khatru
10-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Johnson threw the ball to the ground against Minnesota, not Chicago.

It was correct in the version I read earlier this morning on the Star site (before I hit the Planet). They must've fixed it overnight, after you pulled the first version they put on the Web.

Chan93lx50
10-05-2007, 08:13 AM
I was kind of wondering when larry was going to break a tackle or plow guy over this season when he was running the ball, because I have not seen it yet!

dj56dt58
10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
T.J needs to lay into the Lakers and the Dodgers all the damn time. ****ing 2 teams are pissing me off, especially the Dodgers. 1988. I was 12 years old :(
1988?? try 1908...

****ing Cubs :banghead:

Hammock Parties
10-05-2007, 08:21 AM
I was kind of wondering when larry was going to break a tackle or plow guy over this season when he was running the ball, because I have not seen it yet!

Larry's broken plenty of tackles this year. He clocked the shit out of that DB on his long run last week.

He probably IS dancing too much, though. But that's just a by-product of the shitty blocking.

InChiefsHeaven
10-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Larry goes for BIG numbers this week against the Jags. Write it down...

Psyko Tek
10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
The big question about LJ is....

What would Ross do....