PDA

View Full Version : Here's what I don't get...

donkhater
10-06-2007, 06:21 AM
I've been as outspoken critic of Peterson as there is on this board. This team has been mired in mediocrity for 2 decades. But since when did KC become that team?

You know what I mean. Like when San Diego lost last week. It was all, "Can you believe SD lost to the Chiefs? I mean it was the Chiefs!!!"

or when John Clayton does his preview to this weeks upcoming game he says that if the Jags what to keep up in the AFC South they "can't afford to lose to a team like the Chiefs" WTF???

It's all over the place. Was this some mandate by someone to suddenly crown KC the Raiders? This team DID make the playoffs last year didn't it? I know KC isn't one of the powerhouses or the most popular team in the league, but man, the tone in which they are talked about I have never seen before and it's baffling.

Easy 6
10-06-2007, 06:26 AM
I agree, its completely out of control.

Teams with worse records than us get more pub, teams that didnt even make the playoffs get more national games...i dont get it either.

I mean, the Monday nighter features the MOTHERFARKIN BILLS FER CRIPE PETE!!!

Poison my eyes.

kc1977
10-06-2007, 06:32 AM
It's the media that has sold this bill of goods that this is a pathetic team, and they continue to perpetuate that. They do a very good job at shaping perception, and many fans bite.

This team upgraded on defense and remained about the same on offense as last year. What makes any fan think that results not similar to last year (about a .500 team) are coming?

The media.

The fan base is becoming impatient, with the Super Bowl the only way to success in some's eyes. The media has never gotten along with Carl Peterson really well. They think he is arrogant. So they perpetuate it that the Chiefs are terrrible. Worse than the Raiders last year.

And the fans eat it up.

Until they come out and actually look decent and competitive. Sure, not Colts/Patriots like. But, about like last year, which is what you'd expect from a team that looks a lot like last year.

But the media still tries to sell it as terrible.

And the fans who bought that we were terrible, but then have seen with their own eyes the last few weeks that we are not, ask why.

donkhater
10-06-2007, 06:36 AM
I also think this goes to show what a performance in front of a national audience does to shape an image. Most NFL fans haven't seen KC since that embarrassing performance in Indy. Hence that's what they expect form them every week. KC doesn't get the national exposure to change opinions about them.

If that game against SD had been seen by most of the country most would realize that it was won by KC just as much as it was lost by SD. But all we get to hear is, Norv is an idiot, he's ruining the best 1-3 team in football.

donkhater
10-06-2007, 06:58 AM
or when John Clayton does his preview to this weeks upcoming game he says that if the Jags what to keep up in the AFC South they "can't afford to lose to a team like the Chiefs" WTF???

Two weeks ago when Clayton did his first and ten he didn't put the KC/Min gane on his list. Not because it wasn't an interesting game, but because (and this is what he wrote),"...the rest of the games are huge mismatches." I'm assuming he thought Minny was going to roll. In Arrowhead.

LOCOChief
10-06-2007, 07:01 AM
I for one am LOVING THIS. Under the radar all the way baby.

BigMeatballDave
10-06-2007, 07:05 AM
I for one am LOVING THIS. Under the radar all the way baby.Yup. I hope it continues.

Baby Lee
10-06-2007, 07:06 AM
I also think this goes to show what a performance in front of a national audience does to shape an image. Most NFL fans haven't seen KC since that embarrassing performance in Indy. Hence that's what they expect form them every week. KC doesn't get the national exposure to change opinions about them.

If that game against SD had been seen by most of the country most would realize that it was won by KC just as much as it was lost by SD. But all we get to hear is, Norv is an idiot, he's ruining the best 1-3 team in football.
It wasn't the effing Colts game.
You don't become 'that team' with people still remembering you were even IN the playoffs.
The O in preseason and in the first 2 1/2 regular season games is what overshadowed everything to make us 'that team' at least for those who still think we are 'that team.'

boogblaster
10-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Just win baby, just win ....

RJ
10-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I agree, its completely out of control.

Teams with worse records than us get more pub, teams that didnt even make the playoffs get more national games...i dont get it either.

I mean, the Monday nighter features the MOTHERFARKIN BILLS FER CRIPE PETE!!!

Poison my eyes.

Can you believe that? How in the hell did Cowboys/Bills end up on MNF?

morphius
10-06-2007, 07:37 AM
It wasn't the effing Colts game.
You don't become 'that team' with people still remembering you were even IN the playoffs.
The O in preseason and in the first 2 1/2 regular season games is what overshadowed everything to make us 'that team' at least for those who still think we are 'that team.'
Well, actually it started before the regular season started. I think it had to do with Star Players, with losing Roaf, Shields, and Green over the last few years all we had left was TG and LJ, which means we must suck.

Baby Lee
10-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Well, actually it started before the regular season started. I think it had to do with Star Players, with losing Roaf, Shields, and Green over the last few years all we had left was TG and LJ, which means we must suck.
That's part of it too. I was mainly railing against the sheer stupidity of positing that a playoff performance was so bad that it was the reason people are thinking of us as the worst team in the league.
There have been teams that got punked like 50-0 in the playoffs and people still remembered they were a playoff team.
Some Chiefs fans are so scarred by playoff losses that they've lost perspective of how non-fans view the situation.

plbrdude
10-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Can you believe that? How in the hell did Cowboys/Bills end up on MNF?

pimpin the cowboys. figuring the bills to be bad it will look good for the cowboys to roll them on nat. tv.

jidar
10-06-2007, 07:59 AM
the preseason and the first two games was all it took. We were amazingly bad then. Not only that, to the media teams are their QBs and Huard doesn't impress anyone.

I don't know how long it's going to take to shake it off... my guess would be a decisive win this week would do it, but it might take us being playoff contenders late in the season, who knows.

talastan
10-06-2007, 08:46 AM
This is the same treatment that this team has recieved since the 90's. This team has never been a media magnet. Which is fine with me. The more teams that come into to Arrowhead planning on an easy win the bigger the heartache as they fall to the "lowly" Chiefs. Nothing satisfied me more than seeing LT on the sidelines looking up at the scoreboard and shaking his head in disbelief last Sunday. Can't wait to see this more and more this season!! GO CHIEFS!!!

Deberg_1990
10-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Ive said this before, but fans in every city think their team gets slighted all the time. This isnt anything unique to KC. Just scan a few message boards and you will find threads similiar to this one.

JuicesFlowing
10-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Why are the Chiefs underdogs IN Arrowhead? That is something I'll never understand.

TEX
10-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Ive said this before, but fans in every city think their team gets slighted all the time. This isnt anything unique to KC. Just scan a few message boards and you will find threads similiar to this one.

You're wrong there. Look at their MNF schedule for proof. No MNF games at ARROWHEAD yet again, or no appearances for the Chiefs yet again. Yet, teams like the Bills, 49'ers, Cardinals (All who did not make the playoffs las year) are featured. :hmmm: Furthermore, when the Chiefs were in their shoes, we heard all the reasons why they weren't on MNF. Shoot, even the Houston Texans have a special Thursday Night game at Reliant Stadium - what did that franchise ever do to deserve one? They haven't even had 1 winning season in the history of the franchise. :shake:

Deberg_1990
10-06-2007, 09:09 AM
You're wrong there. Look at their MNF schedule for proof. No MNF games at ARROWHEAD yet again, or no appearances for the Chiefs yet again. Yet, teams like the Bills, 49'ers, Cardinals (All who did not make the playoffs las year) are featured. :hmmm: Furthermore, when the Chiefs were in their shoes, we heard all the reasons why they weren't on MNF. Shoot, even the Houston Texans have a special Thursday Night game at Reliant Stadium - what did that franchise ever do to deserve one? They haven't even had 1 winning season in the history of the franchise. :shake:

Well, im not going to say that the Chiefs have never been slighted, but i also dont think its anything personal against the Chiefs as some of you guys feel.

Maybe the league felt this year that they would like to showcase some up and coming teams? Who knows? Im sure there are tons of scheduling quirks to work around. In any case, i gaurantee you that Chiefs fans are not the ONLY team getting a shaft somewhere. Heck, even Pats and Colts fans complain about scheduling.

Bob Dole
10-06-2007, 09:16 AM
That's part of it too. I was mainly railing against the sheer stupidity of positing that a playoff performance was so bad that it was the reason people are thinking of us as the worst team in the league.
There have been teams that got punked like 50-0 in the playoffs and people still remembered they were a playoff team.

Did those teams "back in" the way KC did last year?

(Bob Dole doesn't buy the "we backed in" view, but the team's performance once we were there sure solidified it for those who did.)

TEX
10-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Well, im not going to say that the Chiefs have never been slighted, but i also dont think its anything personal against the Chiefs as some of you guys feel.

Maybe the league felt this year that they would like to showcase some up and coming teams? Who knows? Im sure there are tons of scheduling quirks to work around. In any case, i gaurantee you that Chiefs fans are not the ONLY team getting a shaft somewhere. Heck, even Pats and Colts fans complain about scheduling.

Yeah, probably so but we do get shafted moreso than any team in our division. I've always wondered why every year, Denver gets soooooo much national TV coverage, an early season favorable schedule that includes more home games than away, more home games featuring first-time meetings between division rivals etc. This is the case every year and usually helps them jump out to a good start. Meanwhile, the Chiefs have already played 3 road games (Only team in the NFL that has) and a division game on the road. It's not always who you play, but rather when and where... :hmmm:

BigMeatballDave
10-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I've always wondered why every year, Denver gets soooooo much national TV coverageThe annual fellating from the national sports media is sickening...

nychief
10-06-2007, 10:28 AM
who gives a shit. Just win, the rest will follow. look at the freakin patriots.

BigMeatballDave
10-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I do not understand why we did not draw a MNF game.

BigMeatballDave
10-06-2007, 10:33 AM
who gives a shit. Just win, the rest will follow. look at the freakin patriots.I agree with this. The Colts, Steelers, Patriots, etc. Deserve national attention. Denver, however, does not.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2007, 10:37 AM
that's what happens when people see coaching as a problem imo.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2007, 10:39 AM
why would they?

seriously .. we are in a smaller market so there isn't an automatically ratings draw.

we play dull brand of offense so people wouldn't watch for scoring excitement.

people didn't think we were going to be any good so there wasn't any competitive reason to put us on MNF.

so again i ask ...... why would they?

TEX
10-06-2007, 10:57 AM
why would they?

seriously .. we are in a smaller market so there isn't an automatically ratings draw.

we play dull brand of offense so people wouldn't watch for scoring excitement.

people didn't think we were going to be any good so there wasn't any competitive reason to put us on MNF.

so again i ask ...... why would they?

To showcase a community/venue that has one of the best, if not the best game-day experience in the league. What goes on at ARROWHEAD on game day is special. It's further special on a special occasion. The team may not be a model franchise in terms of Super Bowl titles, but the experience at ARROWHEAD is.

I'm reaching here for a reason, but what I said is the truth about the atmosphere at ARROWHEAD on game day.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2007, 10:59 AM
To showcase a community/venue that has one of the best, if not the best game-day experience in the league. What goes on at ARROWHEAD on game day is special. It's further special on a special occasion. The team may not be a model franchise in terms of Super Bowl titles, but the experience at ARROWHEAD is.

I'm reaching here for a reason, but what I said is the truth about the atmosphere at ARROWHEAD on game day.
you're right ... but that's really about the only reason.

you know that ratings is going to push for the Network exec to want other games.

Deberg_1990
10-06-2007, 12:03 PM

I would have rathered a Sunday Night game. Anyways, if the Chiefs continue to be "in the hunt" they will probably get a Sunday Night game towards the end of the year with the Flex scheduling.

milkman
10-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Did those teams "back in" the way KC did last year?

(Bob Dole doesn't buy the "we backed in" view, but the team's performance once we were there sure solidified it for those who did.)

"Backing in" might be the wrong description, but the fact is, the Chiefs weren't very good, and really didn't belong in the playoffs.

That is more a problem with the system, however.

It has been my opinion for years that there are at least two too many teams per conference in the playoffs.

donkhater
10-06-2007, 02:55 PM
It's even that I feel very slighted about it, I just think it is rather odd, the tone in which KC is being talked about. Like they were the Raiders, Browns, Benglas or Lions.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2007, 02:59 PM
"Backing in" might be the wrong description, but the fact is, the Chiefs weren't very good, and really didn't belong in the playoffs.

That is more a problem with the system, however.

It has been my opinion for years that there are at least two too many teams per conference in the playoffs.
Carl Peterson stringently disagrees

BigMeatballDave
10-06-2007, 03:06 PM
I would have rathered a Sunday Night game. Anyways, if the Chiefs continue to be "in the hunt" they will probably get a Sunday Night game towards the end of the year with the Flex scheduling.Thats what I was thinking. If the Chiefs are playing well by the time they go to Indy, they will probably move that game.

KChiefs1
10-06-2007, 03:23 PM
I think it's some sorta plan to get Herm the "Coach of the Year" award....

TEX
10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Thats what I was thinking. If the Chiefs are playing well by the time they go to Indy, they will probably move that game.

Better that way cuz they would have earned it based on play - not on opinion.

TEX
10-06-2007, 03:42 PM
you're right ... but that's really about the only reason.

you know that ratings is going to push for the Network exec to want other games.

Yep. And that's unfortunate. Oh well - we'll just have to earn it through flex scheduling.

keg in kc
10-06-2007, 03:44 PM
They haven't won a playoff game since the '93 season. They get the respect they deserve. Although it is harder to swallow on a week like this one, where their opponent hasn't done anything in years, either, yet they're somehow favored at Arrowhead.

(That playoff streak will end in the next 2 years IMHO.)

milkman
10-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Carl Peterson stringently disagrees

Maybe.

But it was Lamar Hunt that wanted to expand the playoffs, and I assume that Clark will continue to seek to expand them.

Carl sucks ass, no doubt, but so did Lamar Hunt for the last 30 years.

I further assume Clark will also.

BigMeatballDave
10-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Maybe.

But it was Lamar Hunt that wanted to expand the playoffs, and I assume that Clark will continue to seek to expand them.

Carl sucks ass, no doubt, but so did Lamar Hunt for the last 30 years.

I further assume Clark will also.Yup. We bash Carl all the time around here, but IMO the Hunts are more to blame. They hired Carl, and continue to employ him.