View Full Version : Playing down to their level? -Jag.com

C-Mac
10-06-2007, 07:22 AM
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=6367
Playing down to their level?
At home, KC is a cut above

By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com senior editor
10/03/07

If this was one of those cloudless, 70-degree days in January, I could understand it. Those kinds of blissful days, when most of the rest of the country is layered by snow, have a way of making you feel a cut above. So what’s the excuse this week?

How is that we have the audacity to be so smug to suggest that the Jaguars have to avoid playing down to the level of their competition this Sunday? It certainly can’t be because of the weather, unless, of course, you have an affection for flooded yards, leaky roofs and torrential rains that moved in off the ocean as though the sea was attempting to relocate.

Smug? About what? One win in Denver?

Hey, folks, take a look around. Kansas City is number three in defense. They’re coming off a win at San Diego, which had the league’s best record last season. The Chiefs are 2-2, on a two-game winning streak and tied for the AFC West lead. They’ve won seven of their last eight home games, one of which was against the Jaguars, and they are 9-2 at Arrowhead in the month of October since 2002.

“Big challenge on the road,” Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said. “They have playmakers. They have one of the elite running backs in the league. It’s rare that you see such a combination of power and speed,” Del Rio said, referring to Larry Johnson, the league’s second-leading rusher last season.

Have we forgotten what Johnson did to the Jaguars at Arrowhead Stadium on last New Year’s Eve? He rushed for 138 yards and three touchdowns; caught five passes for 22 yards.

The Chiefs have a playmaking linebacker in Derrick Johnson, two high-energy defensive ends in Jared Allen and Tamba Hali, and Ty Law and Patrick Surtain represent one of the league’s better cornerback tandems.

They have something on offense now that they didn’t have last season: a big-time speed receiver. That’s what rookie Dwayne Bowe is. He’s caught 18 passes for 299 yards and three touchdowns, and his speed opens the field for Johnson to run between the tackles.

So what’s with the smugness? Somebody please tell me why the Chiefs represent a level beneath the Jaguars. All I see is a big-time challenge in one of the league’s toughest places to play.

Apparently, however, that’s not the consensus opinion because the most asked question during media time in the Jaguars locker room on Wednesday was about the Jaguars’ penchant for playing down to the level of their competition. Apparently, this one has already been put into the win column.

Forget about it. You don’t waltz into Arrowhead Stadium and claim victory without playing your best football. Maybe Damon Huard doesn’t make your heart beat faster, but Herman Edwards has the Chiefs playing his kind of football and the one thing that was clearly evident in Del Rio’s tone of voice is his regard for Johnson.

The Chiefs are going to pound the ball at the Jaguars on Sunday. They’re going to try to do what the Titans did. Then, after a lot of pounding, they’re going to put it in, take it out and throw it downfield for Bowe. It’s called play-action football and it’s what teams do that have a big-time between-the-tackles running back who can make safeties peek, and a big-time speed receiver who can makes safeties that peek pay the price.

Smug? Play down to their level? That’s not the attitude that’s going to win for the Jaguars on Sunday. This is a Chiefs team on the rise and they have always been a cut above in Arrowhead.

Baby Lee
10-06-2007, 07:27 AM
R to the ezzle, P to the ostay!!

boogblaster
10-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Junglekitties a level only seen from your back on the ground ....GO CHIEFS .....

talastan
10-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Can't wait to see Gerrard on his a** for a better part of the game. I hope that Gunther runs that blitz package where he brings DJ up to the front of the LOS. Nothing scarier for a QB to look at IMO than Allen, Hali, DJ, and Tank licking their chops to drop you like a $3 hooker.

StcChief
10-06-2007, 08:50 AM
at least one Defensive TD this week.

The Bad Guy
10-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Don't let Jaguar fans see this article.

They will come on this board telling us how great they are at virtually every position.

Honestly, the Chiefs should shitbeat this team.

MahiMike
10-06-2007, 09:21 AM
This has been a huge issue for Del Rio. Somehow, he just can't get his teams up past the level of the comp. Whenever Steelers or Colts come to town, they look like the Patriots. Most other teams...meh...

MahiMike
10-06-2007, 09:22 AM
BTW, won't be any shitbeatin by either team. You saw what happened when the Chiefs played the 4th best team from this division...

wazu
10-06-2007, 09:24 AM
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, here. I'm usually a pessimist, but I really feel like the Chiefs should be favored by 3 in this game. No way should they be home dogs against a team as average as the Jaguars.

The Bad Guy
10-06-2007, 10:38 AM
BTW, won't be any shitbeatin by either team. You saw what happened when the Chiefs played the 4th best team from this division...

Yeah, I did.

It was a beating. The Chiefs beat the shit out of the QB and won the game in the 2nd half.

The Jaguars don't have half the line that the Chargers do. They don't have LT, Gates or even Vincent Jackson for that matter.

The Chargers D-line is every bit as good as the Jaguars, if not better.

And this game is at Arrowhead.

Ebolapox
10-06-2007, 10:47 AM
why the f*ck do the jags ever feel the right to be 'smug'?!?

andoman
10-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Yeah, I did.

It was a beating. The Chiefs beat the shit out of the QB and won the game in the 2nd half.

The Jaguars don't have half the line that the Chargers do. They don't have LT, Gates or even Vincent Jackson for that matter.

The Chargers D-line is every bit as good as the Jaguars, if not better.

And this game is at Arrowhead.

I'm thinking this is Jags fan and he meant the Texans...

Ebolapox
10-06-2007, 10:59 AM
mahimike is a former chiefs fan who claims the jags are his 'sexy mistress' while the chiefs are his fat old wife (DAMN YOU, PHOBIA). basically, he's donger, jags style.

whoman69
10-06-2007, 02:40 PM
The Jags are always the popular choice for the club to climb from the middle of the pack to be an outstanding team. Like the Panthers since they went to the Super Bowl, it just never worked out. They never seem to be clicking in all facets of the game. They have potentially a top tier defense, but it just never seems to work out that way.

keg in kc
10-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, here. I'm usually a pessimist, but I really feel like the Chiefs should be favored by 3 in this game. No way should they be home dogs against a team as average as the Jaguars.Ditto.

I don't get all the Jax hype. Maybe they'll show me tomorrow.

RP_McMurphy
10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
If your a realistic Jaguar fan you should know that the Jaguars leave you scratching your head at times. In all honesty as a Jaguars fan I don't know which team will show up Sunday. It could be the one that beat the hell out of the Colts last year or it could be the one that couldn't beat the Texans at all last year.

KChiefs1
10-06-2007, 03:43 PM
At least some Jag writers get it.

keg in kc
10-06-2007, 04:03 PM
If your a realistic Jaguar fan you should know that the Jaguars leave you scratching your head at times. In all honesty as a Jaguars fan I don't know which team will show up Sunday. It could be the one that beat the hell out of the Colts last year or it could be the one that couldn't beat the Texans at all last year.One of the reasons I see them as sort of a mirror-image of KC...

I'm mystified why virtually everyone nationally (including Vegas) is chalking this down as an automatic Jags victory. You'd think in a game with two teams that are so similar, the edge should go to the one playing on their home field.

KChiefs1
10-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Is this all about having Damon Huard as the Chiefs QB?

Easy 6
10-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Is this all about having Damon Huard as the Chiefs QB?

IMO, its that & a combination of other meaningless factors.

Yeah, Garrards having a good year so far...but Huard had an equally solid year in 06 & looks to be rounding into that form again.

LJ & TG alone should garner this team more headlines than it gets, i honestly dont get it.

6-7 335
10-06-2007, 05:58 PM
As a Jags fan.. I say the Chiefs should beat us at Arrowhead. I am surprised by us being the favorite.. but some people are acting as though we're 10 point favorites..

Its gonna be a good game. Clashing, crashing, bashing.. Leave the finesse at the door. These teams are gonna beat down on each other.

Can't wait.

RP_McMurphy
10-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Vic Ketchum is not repeat not ever a homer. He has total independence from the Jaguars and is allowed to write as to what he see's as the truth. He is not a house organ like all the hacks that write for the Chiefs.

At least some Jag writers get it.