PDA

View Full Version : Trent Green cheapshot artist??

Deberg_1990
10-07-2007, 05:29 PM
On Football Night in America, Tiki Barber just claimed Greens shot was a cheapshot because he went for the guys knees on the block.

I didnt see the play....anybody else see it? Have an opinion on it?

Buck
10-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Well, he was dumb for even trying that when simply getting in the way of the defender would have worked.

KcMizzou
10-07-2007, 05:31 PM
To say Trent meant for that to be a cheapshot is laughable.

Basileus777
10-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Qbs do that all the time. Its not a cheapshot, a qb has to go low to block a DT.

DaKCMan AP
10-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Tiki Barber is a moron and a quitter.

KcMizzou
10-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Qbs do that all the time. Its not a cheapshot, a qb has to go low to block a DT.No kidding.

Cheap shot? Seriously?

WTF, Tiki?

Deberg_1990
10-07-2007, 05:35 PM
To say Trent meant for that to be a cheapshot is laughable.

Yea, i kind of thought the same thing....

Tiki Barber looks the part, but man hes said some stupid things so far as a commentator. Oh well, hes supposed to be opinionated...but dang, he needs to think before he speaks.

TN_Chief
10-07-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't think it was an intentionally malicious cheapshot...but Trent did dive awfully low, and there's a reason the guy's knee hit Trent in the head...because Trent's head was right in line with his knees.

Frazod
Yea, i kind of thought the same thing....

Tiki Barber looks the part, but man hes said some stupid things so far as a commentator. Oh well, hes supposed to be opinionated...but dang, he needs to think before he speaks.

Why should he? None of the rest of them do. :shake:

mikeyis4dcats.
A QB has to go low in that case. He has to go for the block, but will get killed if he hits him high. Cut block is legal in the open field...just bad deal. The post-game comments were bullshit though. I can forgive the on-field response.

Extra Point
10-07-2007, 05:37 PM
If he was in the box, it's a good block. He went too low, got kicked in the head, and the rodeo's over.

Retire, Green. You're mind is over-playing your body.

mikeyis4dcats.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80308be9
starts at 45 second mark

Sure-Oz
Jerome Bettis disagrees and Tiki is a quitting little bitch that doesn't like tough coaches.

TN_Chief
10-07-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure I buy that a QB "has" to go low. The dude didn't even see Trent, if he (Trent) had just chipped him it probably would have accomplished what was necessary.

jjchieffan
At least Trent is willing to make the block. Most quarterbacks don't and won't.

tk13
I was surprised Tiki said it. I could see if a former lineman on one of these shows said something like that. But Tiki? I'm sure he NEVER cut somebody in the backfield to save his QB. Probably too busy working on his book deal to pay attention.

Sure-Oz
10-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I was surprised Tiki said it. I could see if a former lineman on one of these shows said something like that. But Tiki? I'm sure he NEVER cut somebody in the backfield to save his QB. Probably too busy working on his book deal to pay attention.
I am pretty sick of seeing Tiki on television, someone needs to cut block him.

Deberg_1990
10-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Jesus, after watching it...Trent was just dumb.....He fruitlessly took that shot on a 21 yard loss of a play...

Mr. Flopnuts
10-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I am pretty sick of seeing Tiki on television, someone needs to cut block him.

I agree. This guy is horrible in the booth. I don't give a shit about Trent Green or what Tiki said either. I just think he sucks.

Terribilis
10-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I think Trent owes the league a couple 'cheap' shots

FRCDFED
10-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I stated it in another thread but anyway.........that could've very easily been a career ending hit Green put on him. The guy didn't see it coming and Trent dove right into the knees. The guy has every right to be angry and it was a very questionable hit. I can easily see where it could be called a cheap shot.

Just because it is a QB making the hit doesn't change anything. If it were a safety going after someone elses knees then it would be called a cheap shot. QB's don't get amnesty from scruting when they choose to take on a monster DL. They are held to the same standard of play.

Terribilis
10-07-2007, 05:50 PM
QB's don't get amnesty from scruting when they choose to take on a monster DL. They are held to the same standard of play.
I am trying to remember all the players that have had career-enders from QB's...
:hmmm:

FRCDFED
10-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I am trying to remember all the players that have had career-enders from QB's...
:hmmm:Spend more time trying to remember how many players have had career-enders from people hitting them in the knees when they don't see the hit coming. Actually, research why the NFL changed the rules regarding OL/DL lineman getting hit by a second person while engaged in a block.

I hope I was able to help.

FRCDFED
10-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I think Trent owes the league a couple 'cheap' shots
WTF?

Shag
10-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Like it or not, small players take down bigger players by taking out their legs. It happens many times in any given game. Hell, watch most RBs pick up blitzers - they dive to take out their legs. Plus, it's allowed by the rules.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Trent had no intention of trying to hurt this jagoff. He basically flopped in front of him - it's not like he dove at his knees with all his might. It was a poorly executed block, but I find it laughable to consider it an effort to injure...

ClevelandBronco
10-07-2007, 06:10 PM
starts at 45 second mark

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen it. You can't question Trent's bravery, but it's probably time for him to cut that stuff out while he still remembers his wife's name. He probably should have been six inches lower.

dtebbe
10-07-2007, 06:12 PM
LOL! So when a 180# QB goes low on a block it's a cheap shot, when the entire broncos offensive line goes low every other play it's simply "legal".

DT

FRCDFED
10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
LOL! So when a 180# QB goes low on a block it's a cheap shot, when the entire broncos offensive line goes low every other play it's simply "legal".

DTIt's not right in either situation. That play had disaster written all over it. Trent got a slight concussion and the DL was complaining of knee pain.

Trent does not seem like the type of player that would intentionally hurt someone but.....

1. Trent DID intend to go low to take on a larger player
2. Trent ACTED on those intentions and hit the guy in the knees
3. The other guy did not see the hit coming

= Cheapshot!

Trent's INTENTIONS were clear. It just didn't work out in his favor.

If you are going to blindside someone then at least keep it high. You already have an advantage since they don't see it coming. That alone would neutralize any height/weight advantage.

Basileus777
10-07-2007, 06:21 PM

DT

Houston's oline runs Denver's zone blocking scheme making it even more hypocritical.

Buehler445
10-07-2007, 06:27 PM
1. Tiki is a go-tard
2. To think that a QB could even think to cheap shot a man twice his size is laughable.
3. Trent needs to retire. I wish he would have after last year.
4. Anybody remember the conditions of the pick we get from MIA?

donkhater
10-07-2007, 06:29 PM
While I won't say it was cheap, I'm sure that the guy he tried to block probably thinks he got what he asked for by trying it. If someone tried that on me, I'd feel the same.

NUMBER7
10-07-2007, 06:31 PM
At least Trent is willing to make the block. Most quarterbacks don't and won't.

Right...Trent has always shown toughness...both in St. Louis and here. If he does need to hang it up the game will miss him.

unlurking
10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
It's not right in either situation. That play had disaster written all over it. Trent got a slight concussion and the DL was complaining of knee pain.

Trent does not seem like the type of player that would intentionally hurt someone but.....

1. Trent DID intend to go low to take on a larger player
2. Trent ACTED on those intentions and hit the guy in the knees
3. The other guy did not see the hit coming

= Cheapshot!

Trent's INTENTIONS were clear. It just didn't work out in his favor.

If you are going to blindside someone then at least keep it high. You already have an advantage since they don't see it coming. That alone would neutralize any height/weight advantage.
So, I'm guessing you've never seen every RB in the league try and pick up a blitz?

BigMeatballDave
10-07-2007, 06:42 PM
That POS talking shit to Green when he was CLEARLY outcold, was guttless.

NUMBER7
10-07-2007, 06:44 PM
That POS talking shit to Green when he was CLEARLY outcold, was guttless.

Hopefully a big fine is on the way...classless.

Hootie
10-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I feel bad for Trent...

I hope he's ok, he had a good career...but it's time to hang them up.

Iowanian
10-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Running backs cut Dlinemen low pass blocking every effing game.

Suck it Tiki.

Tiki Barber sure turned out to be a whining douche. Is he dating Johnny Morton now?

FRCDFED
10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
So, I'm guessing you've never seen every RB in the league try and pick up a blitz?I'm not going to keep addressing everyones "assumptions" as to what I believe and don't believe, seen or haven't seen, done or haven't done. These questions are assinine and you guys can pile on if you wish. I'll sum my beliefs, thoughts, and what I believe is right or wrong in one sentence:

"ANYONE repeat ANYONE who hits another in the knees and they don't see it coming is committing a CHEAP SHOT!"

Blitzing defenders are facing a RB, see the hit coming, and can brace themselves to take the hit. This was not the situation today. You can throw out hypotheticals all day long. It doesn't change what Trent did.

I have a knee injury, it was the result of a cheap shot, I speak from experience.

Terribilis
10-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I have a knee injury, it was the result of a cheap shot, I speak from experience.
Was it from a QB?

memyselfI
10-07-2007, 07:36 PM
On Football Night in America, Tiki Barber just claimed Greens shot was a cheapshot because he went for the guys knees on the block.

I didnt see the play....anybody else see it? Have an opinion on it?

Tiki obviously spent too much time at Fox Noise and it has clouded his judgement... :rolleyes: Fuggin moron.

Trent Green was on borrowed time in the first place. The idea that he would risk injury to himself and his career to cheap shot a guy is ridiculous. He used bad form while trying to make a play. Ironically, one of the announcers of the game, Rich Gannon, is sitting in the announcer booth for doing the same thing. He did the smart thing though and retired after he was seriously injured. Trent should have done the same.

joemama
10-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Tiki is a quitting piece of no good shit!!!!

Deberg_1990
10-07-2007, 08:05 PM
The more i watch this now....this was just an idiotic play by Green.

Coach
LOL. WORST PERSON IN THE NFL is Travis Johnson!

memyselfI
Leave it to my man Keith Olbermann to name Travis Johnson the 'worst person in the NFL.' :clap: :clap: :clap:

F*$& Tiki.

OnTheWarpath15
10-07-2007, 08:07 PM
LOL. WORST PERSON IN THE NFL is Travis Johnson!

After hearing Johnson's comments and finally seeing the video of him taunting Green while he's lying there unconscious, I'm wishing Trent HAD blown out Johnson's knee.

What a douchebag.

DaFace
10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
The more i watch this now....this was just an idiotic play by Green.

Idiotic? Perhaps. Malicious? No way.

Trent's main issue is that he timed it wrong. He's thrown that kind of block numerous times before, and it works just fine as long as he gets a little further in front of the guy.

Iowanian
10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
If Green takes another shot to the brainpan like that...he'll be speaking like tommykat 3hrs into a tailgate.

Easy 6
10-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I used to think Tiki was a class act, but he's proven to be nothing more than a well spoken asshole.

As far as the "block", it was perfectly legal...& Trent had NO BUSINESS even trying it...putting his head down like that...good gawd.

BigMeatballDave
10-07-2007, 08:12 PM
After hearing Johnson's comments and finally seeing the video of him taunting Green while he's lying there unconscious, I'm wishing Trent HAD blown out Johnson's knee.

What a douchebag.I hope Goodell sees this and fines him heavily.

memyselfI
10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
I hope Goodell sees this and fines him heavily.

IIRC, there was a flag on the play. Does anyone know if it was against Johnson?

BigMeatballDave
10-07-2007, 08:15 PM
IIRC, there was a flag on the play. Does anyone know if it was against Johnson?He was flagged for Taunting, I think.

memyselfI
10-07-2007, 08:17 PM
He was flagged for Taunting, I think.

Good, that makes a possible fine more likely, IMO. That and the fact that after he saw Green carted off the field he was in the locker room still trash talking about how he tried to hurt him. :rolleyes: :shake:

BigMeatballDave
10-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Good, that makes a possible fine more likely, IMO. That and the fact that after he saw Green carted off the field he was in the locker room still trash talking about how he tried to hurt him. :rolleyes: :shake:I heard that, too. Classless POS.

memyselfI
10-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I heard that, too. Classless POS.

What a jackazz. I'd take bets on his rep vs. Trent Green's in the league and I imagine he wouldn't win. He's forgetting Trent Green had HIS knee blown out by someone else...

http://www.miamiherald.com/breaking_sports/story/263903.html

Johnson accuses Green of `dirty play'
Posted on Sun, Oct. 07, 2007
Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
BY JEFF DARLINGTON
jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson spoke out against Dolphins quarterback Trent Green after Sunday's game, accusing him of a dirty hit on the play that caused Green to suffer the concussion that knocked him unconscious.

Johnson, who rose to his feet after being blocked by Green, stood over the motionless quarterback and began taunting him. Johnson was penalized for the play.

After the game, Johnson went into a heated monologue about Green, who made the block at Johnson's knees. Apparently, Johnson did not care at all that the same play caused Green to be put on a stretcher and taken to a local hospital.

''At 12:01, I had a lot of respect for Trent Green,'' Johnson said. ``At 12:20, I said [expletive] Trent Green. To hit my knee like that, that's uncalled for. He's like the scarecrow -- he wants to get courage while I'm not looking and hit me in my knee instead of trying to hit me in my head. God don't like ugly -- you know what I mean?

``My knee ain't never hurt like it hurt today. When I was up in the air, looking at the ceiling, I was wondering what was going to happen if I came down on my head. It was a dirty play. Football's not like that. If you want to hit me, hit me in my shoulders, not my knees. That just showed what type of man he is.''

Green was not available for comment because of medical reasons, but his teammates were outspoken about their disdain for Johnson's taunting after the play.

''He has to live with what he did. That's pretty classless,'' Dolphins tackle L.J. Shelton said. ``I don't want to elaborate on it, but everybody saw it. Hopefully, he's a better person and he feels about it. But he has to live it.''

plbrdude
10-07-2007, 08:44 PM
What a jackazz. I'd take bets on his rep vs. Trent Green's in the league and I imagine he wouldn't win. He's forgetting Trent Green had HIS knee blown out by someone else...

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson spoke out against Dolphins quarterback Trent Green after Sunday's game, accusing him of a dirty hit on the play that caused Green to suffer the concussion that knocked him unconscious.

Johnson, who rose to his feet after being blocked by Green, stood over the motionless quarterback and began taunting him. Johnson was penalized for the play.

After the game, Johnson went into a heated monologue about Green, who made the block at Johnson's knees. Apparently, Johnson did not care at all that the same play caused Green to be put on a stretcher and taken to a local hospital.

''At 12:01, I had a lot of respect for Trent Green,'' Johnson said. ``At 12:20, I said [expletive] Trent Green. To hit my knee like that, that's uncalled for. He's like the scarecrow -- he wants to get courage while I'm not looking and hit me in my knee instead of trying to hit me in my head. God don't like ugly -- you know what I mean?

``My knee ain't never hurt like it hurt today. When I was up in the air, looking at the ceiling, I was wondering what was going to happen if I came down on my head. It was a dirty play. Football's not like that. If you want to hit me, hit me in my shoulders, not my knees. That just showed what type of man he is.''

Green was not available for comment because of medical reasons, but his teammates were outspoken about their disdain for Johnson's taunting after the play.

''He has to live with what he did. That's pretty classless,'' Dolphins tackle L.J. Shelton said. ``I don't want to elaborate on it, but everybody saw it. Hopefully, he's a better person and he feels about it. But he has to live it.''

and if trent had of hit him high he'd probly complained about that.

HMc
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm sure this moron's "God" is incredibly fond of people who taunt those lying motionless on the ground.

I swear some of those big guys a complete ****ing pussies. They're real tough when wearing a helmet or they've got their possy hangin around.

KevB
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM
What I don't get is...who's fault is it that he didn't see Trent? He was running right at him. I've heard a million times you need to be aware of your surroundings on a football field. It's not like Trent hit him from behind. Trent tried to go low....really around the guy's thighs. Just so happened because of the angle and the fact that the guy's step at that moment put his knee in front caused a helmet to knee collision.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
So a guy who quit on his team, called out his quarterback, and was gunning for a network job while still in the prime of his career, is lambasting a QUARTERBACK for trying to block a defensive lineman.

Tiki, take that f*cking car you drive in that dipshit commercial, load it with Nitroglycerin, and plunge it off the Brooklyn Bridge when the river is frozen over.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-07-2007, 10:23 PM

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

I've wished injury upon Michael Vick, and up til then, only him.

I'm adding Johnson to that list. May your Achilles roll up your leg like a snap bracelet.

memyselfI
10-08-2007, 05:45 AM
The slime is apologizing but only to his teammates and coach.

Johnson rebuked for tirade on Green
Ignoring QB's concussion, DT rails at Dolphin for throwing block at knee

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5195677.html

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Three hours after being an unwitting participant in a collision that resulted in a concussion, an unsightly taunting episode, and ample vitriol emanating from the visitors' locker room, Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson was still seething.

The elapsed time hadn't soothed Johnson's angst. He was unapologetic in his vulgar impressions of Miami Dolphins quarterback Trent Green, who lost consciousness when his helmet collided with Johnson's knee during a botched running play in the first quarter of the Texans' 22-19 victory on Sunday.

Even after witnessing a motionless Green immobilized and transported to Methodist Hospital (Green returned to Reliant Stadium prior to the Dolphins' departure), Johnson was unabashedly furious afterward.

"At 12:01, I had a lot of respect for Trent Green. At about 12:20, I said, '(Forget) Trent Green,' because the bottom line is it was a malicious hit," Johnson said. "It was uncalled for. He's like the scarecrow. He wanted to get courage while I wasn't looking and hit me in my knee instead of trying to hit me in my head."

On the first play of the Dolphins' second possession, Green went low to block Johnson while attempting to spring receiver Ted Ginn, Jr., who had reversed field following a muffed handoff. The block flipped Johnson onto his head and shoulders and sent Green crumpling to the turf.

Angry reaction
Johnson sprang to his feet and shouted at the unconscious Green, who was inactive for six games last season while with the Kansas City Chiefs after suffering a severe concussion in the opener. Johnson was penalized for taunting, and the Dolphins converted the field position into their lone touchdown.

"My knee ain't never hurt like it hurt today," Johnson said. "The bottom line is football is not about that. If you want to hit me, hit me in my head, hit me in my chest; don't hit me in my knee.

"I'm trying to eat just like everybody else. So to hit me like that, that showed me what type of man he was."

The image of an enraged Johnson standing over Green elicited several scathing remarks from the Dolphins as well as a stern rebuke from Texans coach Gary Kubiak.

"The whole attitude of the situation — the guy lying on the ground and (Johnson) standing over (Green) — that's just classless," Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown said. "This game is meant to be played tough, but in a situation where a guy is hurt like that, a leader of our offense, it's got to make you mad."

Said Kubiak: "First off, what (Johnson) did is unacceptable, inexcusable. I'm not sitting here making any excuses for him. That's inexcusable. He felt like he got chopped pretty good, which we have to go back and look at the film. He was frustrated. Players worry about their legs when they get cut in certain situations. (But) his reaction was wrong."

Display of contrition
Given additional time to calm down, Johnson — at the urging of Texans officials — readdressed the incident and his reaction. Roughly 20 minutes after his initial tirade, Johnson showed contrition for his behavior and remorse for the fallout from his actions.

"I apologize for going off like that," Johnson said. "As a D-lineman, when you have people going at your knees, it's tough on you mentally. But at the same time, I shouldn't have reacted like that. I'm sorry the penalty ended up leading to a score.

''I ended up hurting my team," Johnson said. ''I shouldn't have let my anger get to me. I apologized to coach Kub because I hurt my team. I should have kept my cool. But being in that situation, this is a game of controlled violence. Really, I let my anger get the best of me."

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/green235johnson100807story.jpg

HypnotizedMonkey
10-08-2007, 06:08 AM
TIKI IS A TALKING VAGINA WITH PERFECT TEETH.

Trent got knocked the F OUT!!!! Trent Green was one of the best QBs KC ever had... hope he remembers it!!!

kepp
10-08-2007, 06:46 AM
starts at 45 second mark
Just as I thought...Trent was pushed into him. Result: not intentional.

thehead
10-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Trent is a team player that's what he is , DT Johnson is a big baby it's football :cuss:

Chiefnj2
10-08-2007, 07:20 AM
It was a legal but dangerous block. i don't have a problem with Trent throwing it since it is legal. I don't have a problem with a DL being upset about it because it could have ended his career.

InChiefsHeaven
10-08-2007, 07:45 AM
I can see the dude being really angry, especially at the time that it happened, because his adrenaline is pumping too, and all he knew was that he got blindsided and hit in his knee...anyone would be pissed. But once you see the dude that hit you is a drooling piece of flesh on the field and he is knocked the **** out, you would think he'd calm down a bit...

RedDread
10-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Here's the perfect Karma Scenario:

1. Trent Green Retires with whatever marbles he has left in his skull
2. Tiki gets canned by NBC
3. Green jumps in to broadcasting (where he'll end up eventually btw) as the new commentator on Football Night in America.

Lzen
10-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Just as I thought...Trent was pushed into him. Result: not intentional.

Huh? Is this sarcasm? Or are you serious?

InChiefsHeaven
10-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Huh? Is this sarcasm? Or are you serious?

I'm guessing sarcastic, as I believe that was the excuse used when Trent got the piss knocked out of him last season.