PDA

View Full Version : POSNANSKI: Chiefs running game could use Priest

Hammock Parties
10-07-2007, 09:50 PM
:rolleyes:

http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/307773.html

Chiefs running game could use Priest

After this latest Chiefs shipwreck, Priest Holmes stood at his locker, and he looked awfully good. There were a couple of reasons for this. One, Holmes has noticeably slimmed down and put on some muscle. It is amazing how much his body has changed in a few short weeks. He is apparently serious about his comeback.

“I’m about 90 percent now,” he says. “I’m ready to go.”

Two, the Chiefs ran for 10 total yards Sunday against Jacksonville. Ten stinking yards. This means that the entire Chiefs running game could not have gotten you from the entrance of the movie theater to the popcorn stand.

Priest Holmes has rarely looked better.

Why has the Chiefs’ running game gone into the sewer? That was the talk of the locker room after the Chiefs’ dead-battery 17-7 loss to the Jaguars. Offensive lineman Brian Waters said it is because of breakdowns. Coach Herm Edwards said it comes down to inconsistency. Running back Larry Johnson rather eloquently said nothing, which was fitting after his performance of nine carries, 12 yards and two disgusted helmet throws. Some blamed the offensive line, some blamed the play calling (which is getting old), some gave credit to Jacksonville’s tough defense.

Nobody wanted to come out and say Larry Johnson isn’t running well.

Nobody, that is, except Priest Holmes.

“I talk to Larry about being more creative,” Holmes said. “I think that’s something he needs to work on. When the other team is putting everything to trying to stop you, you can’t get frustrated. That’s the worst thing you can do. You have to study them and find their weaknesses, and exploit those. There are no excuses. You have to find a way to get yards. And when you get your opening, you have to hit the home run.”

Larry Johnson should cut out that quote, blow it up, put it on his wall and read it every day. He shouldn’t read it to get mad (that strategy obviously isn’t working). He should read it because in that one paragraph is the essence of what made Priest Holmes a great football player. Holmes came to beat you.

Look: Holmes did not have the skills and talents of Larry Johnson. He did not have Johnson’s size, his strength, his speed. Holmes had to overcome devastating injuries and unending doubts. But he became the best running back in the NFL, he set a bunch of records, he scored 66 touchdowns in three seasons, all because of those words — he studied, and he found weaknesses in defenses, and he made no excuses, and he got yards.

People never wanted to give him credit for it. Even now, you will hear people say, “Oh, it was just that Holmes was running behind a great offensive line.”

Baloney. In 2000, the Chiefs were one of the worst rushing teams in the NFL. Their leading rusher had 697 yards. In 2001, with the same caliber of offensive line, Priest Holmes led the NFL in rushing. The next year, the Chiefs added Willie Roaf, Brian Waters came into his own, and Holmes had one of the greatest years in NFL history. The line was good, no doubt. The running back, though, was absolutely fabulous.

Now, watching Johnson fume and mope and get tackled for losses, you can appreciate even more just what Holmes is about. This guy wasn’t even drafted. He overcame two injuries to his ACLs. He came back from a hip injury that doctors thought would end his career. Now, at age 34 (Sunday was his birthday), he shows up at the stadium every day for workouts and team meetings and film sessions, this after a concussion and neck injury so severe he lost feeling in his arms and legs and missed almost two full seasons.

Meanwhile, Larry Johnson moans and kicks the ground because the coaches call on him to run the football when the other team is expecting it.

I don’t know whether Holmes can complete this miracle comeback, but it’s clear now that this is no joke to him. He has gone into seclusion in what he calls Area 51 (the real Area 51 is in Nevada and is where the military secretly tests aircrafts — yes, this column has all sorts of educational value). He has not talked, he has not complained, but you can see by his body change that he has worked out hard. Holmes says he has not missed a meeting. He says he has done everything he can possibly do. After next week’s game against Cincinnati, he hopes and expects to be cleared to put on the helmet and pads and practice with the team. Then we will find out.

Holmes believes he will show everybody something then. He says he’s still got it.

“I didn’t come back to smell the field,” Holmes says. He looks around and smiles. “I sure didn’t come back to smell the locker room. I came back to play.”

That may or may not happen. There are so many factors, so many obstacles, but you know what? It is inspiring. This team needs some of that. Sunday, the Chiefs often looked like dead men walking. After the Chiefs missed an early field goal, you could see all their shoulders slump. After punts, several of the offensive players would walk slowly onto the field, heads down, as if they were heading to the principal’s office. It was about as low-energy a performance as any Chiefs game this decade.

Meanwhile, here’s Priest Holmes quietly going to the stadium every single day and trying to do something that nobody really believes he can do. He’s already got money, fame, records. Still, he’s going at it. He’s doing it for his own reasons, and it’s possible that we will never understand. But he’s showing his heart. That’s easy to understand. How can you not root for a guy like that?

“You know, what Jacksonville was doing was putting a mirror on Larry,” Holmes said after the game. “You know, they had a guy following him wherever he went. I can tell you that’s tough when they start doing that. Wherever you go, he goes. I remember when teams started doing that to me. It’s easy to look out there sometimes and think, ‘Hey, that’s not fair.’ ”

I told Holmes that he never seemed to think that.

“Well,” Holmes said. “You can’t think that way. It doesn’t matter how many guys they put on you … you’ve got to beat them anyway. That’s the job, man.”

BigRedChief
10-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Holmes as the solution to our running game? ROFL

Deberg_1990
10-07-2007, 10:08 PM
“I talk to Larry about being more creative,” Holmes said. “I think that’s something he needs to work on. When the other team is putting everything to trying to stop you, you can’t get frustrated. That’s the worst thing you can do. You have to study them and find their weaknesses, and exploit those. There are no excuses. You have to find a way to get yards. And when you get your opening, you have to hit the home run.”

“Well,” Holmes said. “You can’t think that way. It doesn’t matter how many guys they put on you … you’ve got to beat them anyway. That’s the job, man.”

Loved these two quotes. Great Column

Hammock Parties
10-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Priest would look pathetic behind this offensive line and probably just get injured again. I know damn sure he wouldn't break any tackles after catching ill-advised screen passes for negative yardage.

sportsman1
10-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Lol its the perfect set up for the Fairy Tale that Is Priest Holmes.

HonestChieffan
The man is spot on. We have zero to lose. LJ sitting on his diaperass while Priest runs would be ideal.

Coach
Priest would look pathetic behind this offensive line and probably just get injured again. I know damn sure he wouldn't break any tackles after catching ill-advised screen passes for negative yardage.

As opposed to Bennett? I thought that guy was supposed to be a good back-up, but I haven't seen anything that warrants that.

Time to make a change, one way or another.

Basileus777
10-07-2007, 10:13 PM
What a joke, Priest would barely even see the field, let alone save our running game.

KCJohnny
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Holmes would bring a maturity and character to the huddle that is obviously missing.

Kimble Anders came back at 32 or 33 and really inspired the team. LJ has lots of talent but is clearly NOT a team leader (SEE: Brian Waters' post game comments). Holmes might provide some vet leadership... who knows?

That said, my opinion is that the problem is the OL, not LJ...

sportsman1
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Donno Priest has the Mojo to do magical things.

I cant quit laughin having said that.

whoman69
10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
This offense is set up as smash mouth even though we don't have the personnel for it. Priest would not be able to run between the tackles that is Edwards' offense.

TEX
10-07-2007, 10:22 PM
This offense is set up as smash mouth even though we don't have the personnel for it. Priest would not be able to run between the tackles that is Edwards' offense.

You're absoultely correct. Not behind that crap O-line and no real FB. :shake:

gta0012
10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I think the offense needs a spark. Whether thats Croyle or Holmes i don't give a shit. Personally, i think its both.

LJ ran his best when Holmes got hurt and he had something to prove. Now he is just running angry and not smart. Throw Holmes in the mix and LJ has to get smart to compete. I'd love to see the Chiefs at least try for it.

EDIT:

Also someone please PLEASE please tell herm "WE DON'T HAVE THE LINE TO PLAY YOUR STYLE OF FOOTBALL GIVE IT THE **** UP!!!!!"

TEX
10-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Loved these two quotes. Great Column

Yeah, but I get the feeling there's no talking to Larry when he's pouting. :shake:

Bob Dole
10-07-2007, 10:26 PM

And Priest wouldn't stutter up to the pile and fall down. Priest would bounce it to the outside and try to make a play.

gta0012
10-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Priest was amazing at just sitting there while we all went damnit....wait wtf ohhh shit 10yd run out of nothing.

Zouk
10-07-2007, 10:32 PM
The Chiefs have tried to run on the perimeter a lot this year. This myth that we're just running power up the gut is plain incorrect.

kcfan82
10-07-2007, 10:33 PM
We should do like Missouri and snap the ball directly to Priest, then he and LJ can run the option.

KCJohnny
10-07-2007, 10:35 PM
And Priest wouldn't stutter up to the pile and fall down. Priest would bounce it to the outside and try to make a play.

Well said, Senator.

I like what JoPo said as well:
In 2000, the Chiefs were one of the worst rushing teams in the NFL. Their leading rusher had 697 yards. In 2001, with the same caliber of offensive line, Priest Holmes led the NFL in rushing.

Easy 6
10-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I've publicly doubted his ability to come back...but i've NEVER doubted his heart.

If he can get on the field, more power to him.

God knows we need a boost.

DFB
10-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Priest was always amazing at making something of nothing. That being said, I would LOVE to see him back and make an impact.

But like it was said earlier, with this O-line, he could easily get rocked again....for good.

splatbass
10-07-2007, 10:45 PM
LJ has quit on this team. He isn't giving 100% effort out there. There was a play where he came up on a CB along the sideline, and instead of putting his head down and trying to gain some yards he just ran out of bounds. Last year he would have run over that guy.

I don't know if Priest is the answer, but LJ isn't right now.

SBK
10-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I'd love to see Priest come back. He's one of my favorite Chiefs ever.

Hootie
10-07-2007, 10:55 PM
you know...

I've been the biggest Priest basher for the last few years, but we could use him for 3rd downs alone...

LJ is probably the worst running back in the league at trying to execute a screen pass...

Jesus.

Hootie
10-07-2007, 10:55 PM
and also, if anyone thinks Priest would be gaining more yards than LJ, they are wrong.

TEX
10-07-2007, 10:58 PM
LJ has quit on this team. He isn't giving 100% effort out there. There was a play where he came up on a CB along the sideline, and instead of putting his head down and trying to gain some yards he just ran out of bounds. Last year he would have run over that guy.

I don't know if Priest is the answer, but LJ isn't right now.

Yeah - kind of reminds me of Herm and what he did his last year in New York. :shake:

kcxiv
10-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Something needs to be done, because Larry is looking like one of the worst running backs in the league right now. He's just not getting it done. I know our Oline has been horrible and i have been sticking up for Larry, but obviously something has to change.

DFB
10-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm kinda surprised that Priest said "he's ready to go". I figured after watching that o-line today, he'd say, "Hell naw....I'm still hurt. I'm retiring. Peace, ya'll." LMAO

DFB
10-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Which brings up the question....IF he is activated, whose spot does he take on the 53-man?

Please say Drummond.

Thig Lyfe
10-07-2007, 11:16 PM
If he got the start, LJ would be PISSED.

blueballs
10-07-2007, 11:22 PM
IF they dump Super Man Sippio to put Priest on the roster
the imaginary hero worshippers will scream bloody murder

gta0012
10-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Drummond needs a change. I think its part blocking part he is like 54 and slow.

splatbass
10-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Drummond needs a change. I think its part blocking part he is like 54 and slow.

He's 27. That is still pretty young.

mcan
10-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Anybody who is laughing at the idea of bringing Priest back and giving him a shot needs to remember this:

shyguyms
10-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Priest is a msarter runner , runs better routes and yeah he can bloack 3 things LJ lacks
obtw did i forget Priest plays with heart

TN_Chief
10-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Some of you guys doubting and bad-mouthing Priest this morning are unbelievable. We had 10 freakin' rushing yards yesterday! Right now I don't care about history of injury, quality of line play, LJ's attitude or anything else. The mere fact that there's even a chance for the guy (Priest) to get out there and give it a shot is a good thing.

Jesus, the way some of y'all are talking you'd think we'd rushed for 200+ yesterday and that Priest would somehow be a step down. There is no step down...we're already at bedrock.

ChiefGator
10-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Some of you guys doubting and bad-mouthing Priest this morning are unbelievable. We had 10 freakin' rushing yards yesterday! Right now I don't care about history of injury, quality of line play, LJ's attitude or anything else. The mere fact that there's even a chance for the guy (Priest) to get out there and give it a shot is a good thing.

Jesus, the way some of y'all are talking you'd think we'd rushed for 200+ yesterday and that Priest would somehow be a step down. There is no step down...we're already at bedrock.

Couldn't say it better myself...

If he can average 1.5 yard per carry he is better than yesterday.

teedubya
10-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Bullshit, Priest came back to smell the locker room.

HemiEd
10-08-2007, 06:36 AM

That is the way I see it, and I think that is what Priest is trying to say.

HypnotizedMonkey
10-08-2007, 06:37 AM
I've never wanted to see a Priest this bad in my whole life!

InChiefsHeaven
10-08-2007, 06:48 AM
On Friday, I was thinking, wow, Priest coming back...what's the point? We don't really need him with LJ and Bennet and Kolby...

...now I'm like...WTF harm can there be in it?? They'll PS Kolby probably and activate Priest...if he sucks it up after a couple weeks, cut him, bring Kolby back...

boogblaster
10-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Block.. Tackle.. Run.. Pass ..its not rocket-science ...

thehead
10-08-2007, 07:16 AM

Agree about Priest,he may be the answer to get big money(aka LARRY) on the move again

Larry is not the same back he was last year,It's the money, he got it now he does not try as hard ,you would have to be blind not to see that, if so watch the tape again

TEX
10-08-2007, 07:16 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ChiefsCountry
10-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Heck if it pisses off LJ I would be all for it. He plays alot better when he has a chip on his shoulder anyways.

HonestChieffan
10-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Lil Larry is resting easy on 19 large

Skip Towne
10-08-2007, 07:29 AM
As opposed to Bennett? I thought that guy was supposed to be a good back-up, but I haven't seen anything that warrants that.

Time to make a change, one way or another.
Bennett has averaged 4.6 ypc since joining the Chiefs. The same as LJ.

Extra Point
10-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Hello, Priest. Goodbye, Drummond.

InChiefsHeaven
10-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Hello, Priest. Goodbye, Drummond.

Actually, this makes even more sense. Cut Drummond, let Webb return kicks or something...

...too bad we can't get Phinsee back...

Sure-Oz
10-08-2007, 09:02 AM
LJ's pockets are too heavy

RedDread
10-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Actually, this makes even more sense. Cut Drummond, let Webb return kicks or something...

SIPPIO!!!

HemiEd
10-08-2007, 09:19 AM

Is he on somebody's active roster? I thought he was only signed to a practice squad, or did I miss something?

Dave Lane
10-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I love Priests determination like Poz said how can you not root for the guy. Not the answer? well what the hell is the answer right now and what difference would letting the guy play make?

btlook1
Heck at least Priest will try. Seems to me that last year Larry would have ran some people over and not been dancing aound in the backfield so much. I know the blocking isn't there that was there the last few years however I think LJ is missing some will power or something....hell looks to me like he ain't got no balls since he got paid!!!
I say give Priest a chance!!!

Hydrae
Is he on somebody's active roster? I thought he was only signed to a practice squad, or did I miss something?

If you bring back Phinesee (which I would love), you have to find someone else to cut. If you use Webb to return kicks, then removing Drummond leaves a spot for Priest.

If I had to pick between Phinesee and Sippio, I would stick with Sip.

Dave Lane
10-08-2007, 09:30 AM

He's on St L practice squad

bsp4444
10-08-2007, 10:08 AM
and also, if anyone thinks Priest would be gaining more yards than LJ, they are wrong.

Priest was one of the best ever at executing the screen pass. And the chance exists that Priest would have gained more than 10 freaking yards, so how you can possibly know that all these people are wrong is beyond me.

Sure-Oz
10-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree LJ needs to stop getting mad and find a way to get yards.

Anyone realistically think Priest will play next week, isnt that when he has to come off the PUP?

KCJohnny
10-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Agree about Priest,he may be the answer to get big money(aka LARRY) on the move again

Larry is not the same back he was last year,It's the money, he got it now he does not try as hard ,you would have to be blind not to see that, if so watch the tape again

I agree that the camp holdout was a BAD IDEA but the running game is getting plowed because of poor execution up front (you shoulda seen Rich Baldinger's break down of the OL play on Metro Sports - eye opening!) and a lack of imagination in the play-calling (at least up until the 2nd half last week).

HemiEd
10-08-2007, 10:21 AM
If you bring back Phinesee (which I would love), you have to find someone else to cut. If you use Webb to return kicks, then removing Drummond leaves a spot for Priest.

If I had to pick between Phinesee and Sippio, I would stick with Sip.

Would it be too much of a cap hit to cut LJ?:D

You know, we only got a glimpse of things on Hard Knocks, but I became a Phinesee fan during that series.

InChiefsHeaven
10-08-2007, 10:22 AM

I meant that we would not be able to make room on the roster for him, but we could bring him back and drop Sip back to the PS to make room for Priest.

Regardless, we need to be rid of Duh-mmond... :shake:

HemiEd
10-08-2007, 10:22 AM
He's on St L practice squad
That is what I thought. We could sign him to the active roster, right?

TrebMaxx
10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
I am all for bringing Priest back if it will light a fire under Johnson's arse. LJ is not playing with the same determination\fire that we have witnessed in previous seasons. I don't think it is all O-line's fault. I saw a few times yesterday where a hole whould open up and in years past LJ would attack it, now it looks like he is unsure and waits before hitting the hole. By then it has been closed by the opposing D. I don't see how bringing Priest back can hurt. He either does well and hopefully gets LJ motivated again or he flops, we cut or trade him, and we are right back at square one. Something needs to be done with the run game that is obvious. 10 yards is pathetic. :banghead:

StcChief
10-08-2007, 10:52 AM
What ever works to get LJ on track, running down hill angry.

Pushead2
10-08-2007, 10:53 AM
I doubt we'll see Priest again....

kcxiv
10-08-2007, 11:53 AM
I wanna see Priest do his endzone side step a few more times. I missed it.

Simplex3
10-08-2007, 12:08 PM
If he got the start, LJ would be PISSED.
Pissed enough that he'd quit taking Jay-Z's calls? Pissed enough to stop hanging out with losers and rapping?

Larry got paid. Game over.