PDA

View Full Version : Does Herm cut D. Rayner?

HemiEd
10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Does Herm cut Rayner? He missed the FG yesterday, a short one. He cut the last kicker that did that, under very much the same circumstances.

Deberg_1990
10-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Yes. every kicker who misses a kick must be cut.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Does Herm cut Rayner? He missed the FG yesterday, a short one. He cut the last kicker that did that, under very much the same circumstances.
its not the same, Medlock didnt make 7 of 8 FGs

Scaga
10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Funny...I don't remember Medlock having a 300+ fatass right in front of him when he missed... :hmmm:

HypnotizedMonkey
10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
he picked a hell of a time to miss.

Valiant
10-08-2007, 01:15 PM
its not the same, Medlock didnt make 7 of 8 FGs

Or kick into the endzone on kickoffs...

Inspector
10-08-2007, 01:15 PM
My brother had an observation about that kick.

He and I both noticed, or thought we saw, someone hurdle straight up in front of the kick. It looked like it was going to get blocked. However because the kick ended up making a quick left turn, the jumper was not able to execute the block on the ball.

Now my bro says...and I really don't know...but he was wondering if Raynor saw the kick block coming and just went ahead and drove it off to the side to prevent a block, recovered ball and run back by the Jags.

I don't have tivo so I couldn't go and rewatch it.

I wonder if my brother is just trying to make Raynor feel better about the flub up.

HemiEd
10-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes. every kicker who misses a kick must be cut.

Granted, a very stupid thread. But I have seen no discussion on the miss. I couldn't tell, was it a bad hold, or just a bad kick?

irishjayhawk
10-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Granted, a very stupid thread. But I have seen no discussion on the miss. I couldn't tell, was it a bad hold, or just a bad kick?

Bad blocking. I honestly believe he shanked it on purpose.

Mr. Laz
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
he picked a hell of a time to miss.
you actually think if he makes that field goal we were gonna go on to win?

ROFL

HemiEd
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Bad blocking. I honestly believe he shanked it on purpose.

Makes sense, Inspector shed some light on it for me as well. It happened so fast, and I don't even remember them replaying it.

HemiEd
10-08-2007, 01:28 PM

ROFL

Momentum is a goofy thing, especially with the 2007 Chiefs. They looked great on the opening drive, then sucked after the miss. Very similar to the opening miss in Houston.

Huffman83
10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I agree...there was a line man that had a nice jump in front of Raynor. It looked like he shanked it on purpose.

Sure-Oz
10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
No, he probably tried to shank it so it wouldn't get blocked

underEJ
10-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I forgot about that! He was waaaay up in the air for a lineman. Did he jump off of somebody to do that? The game wasn't in HD so I didn't have the same kind of clarity I've enjoyed the last few games.

I love HD football, and I miss is when I don't have it. It makes such a huge difference seeing a whole play happen.

InChiefsHeaven
10-08-2007, 01:43 PM
You KIIICK to MAAAKE the FIELDGOOOOAL!!!

noa
10-08-2007, 01:44 PM

He and I both noticed, or thought we saw, someone hurdle straight up in front of the kick. It looked like it was going to get blocked. However because the kick ended up making a quick left turn, the jumper was not able to execute the block on the ball.

Now my bro says...and I really don't know...but he was wondering if Raynor saw the kick block coming and just went ahead and drove it off to the side to prevent a block, recovered ball and run back by the Jags.

I wonder if my brother is just trying to make Raynor feel better about the flub up.

I thought something similar. He missed because it was going to get blocked. I don't think it was that deliberate, though. I doubt he was contemplating a return for a TD or anything. I think he just freaked because he saw that guy was going to block it, so he panicked and made a bad kick.

ChiefsGirl
10-08-2007, 01:47 PM
It looked like the DL hurdled Darche and was standing right in front of Rayner.

StcChief
10-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Rayner isn't going any where.

KCChiefsMan
10-08-2007, 01:53 PM
the thought of Rayner making a smart decision rather than just missed the kick crossed my mind. That guy was most likely going to block the kick and maybe Rayner hooked it on purpose to avoid the kick being blocked and recovered by the Jags and giving them better field position or even returned for a TD

Micjones
10-08-2007, 01:54 PM
He won't cut Rayner.
He's proven he can get the job done.

Blocking was awful on that play so I can't hang it on him entirely.

HemiEd
10-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Rayner isn't going any where.

I sure hope not. He is the best we have had since Nick Lowery, heck may turn out better than him.

J Diddy
10-08-2007, 02:54 PM
He won't cut Rayner.
He's proven he can get the job done.

Blocking was awful on that play so I can't hang it on him entirely.

There were at least 3 guys in the backfield when the ball got set. If that won't make you rush a kick I don't know what will

HypnotizedMonkey
10-08-2007, 02:58 PM

ROFL

Well .. I didn't say a word about us winning.. but you're ignorant if you think getting points on the opening drive at home doesn't make a difference.

Extra Point
10-08-2007, 03:03 PM
the thought of Rayner making a smart decision rather than just missed the kick crossed my mind. That guy was most likely going to block the kick and maybe Rayner hooked it on purpose to avoid the kick being blocked and recovered by the Jags and giving them better field position or even returned for a TD

That's damned plausible. Looked for the highlights at http://www.nfl.com/videos and found the kick after searching thru teams. "Jaguars 17, Chiefs 7" From that, I can see that that could have happened. When I saw it live, I thought it was tipped. That guy hurdled Darche and got in their faces.

patteeu
10-08-2007, 03:11 PM

I saw the same thing and wondered about that too. Thanks for posting because I was starting to doubt that I'd really seen it. The announcers didn't mention it, Herm didn't cut Rayner any slack in the postgame presser, none of the players mentioned it that I know of, and I hadn't seen it here until now. It looked like that guy just leaped over the center and was in perfect position to block that kick to me.

Dunit35
10-08-2007, 03:16 PM
That's damned plausible. Looked for the highlights at http://www.nfl.com/videos and found the kick after searching thru teams. "Jaguars 17, Chiefs 7" From that, I can see that that could have happened. When I saw it live, I thought it was tipped. That guy hurdled Darche and got in their faces.

Isn't hurdling over the snapper illegal or am I just a moron?

KCChiefsMan
10-08-2007, 04:31 PM

I wouldn't think it would be

TEX
10-08-2007, 04:41 PM

You're retarded if you don't know the difference between the two. BTW, how many kicks in a row did the last kicker make? How many times did his kickoffs end up in the endzone?

TEX
10-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Well that's what it looked like to me. The kick also had a funny wobble to it like it was kicked differently...Who knows? - A kicker who has been very good for us - missed one. Big deal.

irishjayhawk
10-08-2007, 06:19 PM

It is if he used his line man in front to act as a spring board. I couldn't tell if that was the case.

KCJohnny
10-08-2007, 06:21 PM

It sure looked like it was blocked from my living room.

Rain Man
10-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Momentum is a goofy thing, especially with the 2007 Chiefs. They looked great on the opening drive, then sucked after the miss. Very similar to the opening miss in Houston.

This is why I find the momentum meter to be so valuable.

jidar
10-09-2007, 07:15 AM

It's illegal to come down on your teammates back when trying to block a kick so you can't really try to hurdle your own guys, but hurdling the other team is fine.

jidar
10-09-2007, 07:15 AM
It is if he used his line man in front to act as a spring board. I couldn't tell if that was the case.

If he did, that would be illegal.

ILChief
10-09-2007, 07:17 AM

Medlock had been shaky as heck in the preseason and then missed an easy one in the first game. If Medlock had a great preseason and then missed that kick, I'm sure he wouldn't have been cut. Also JM's kickoffs were crap.

38yrsfan
10-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree with many ... when I saw it (no TIVO here either) I thought he tried to kick around a potential blocker (of the FG) but didn't get a favorable spin/wind/curve/lucky bounce off the upright.

MahiMike
10-09-2007, 09:48 AM

That's exactly what happened. The nose guard HURDLED the center and was waiting for the kick. When I 1st saw it, I thought he had blocked it. CBS never showed the replay - too busy showing all those scary R rated commercials...

Ecto-I
10-09-2007, 09:54 AM
That's exactly what happened. The nose guard HURDLED the center and was waiting for the kick. When I 1st saw it, I thought he had blocked it. CBS never showed the replay - too busy showing all those scary R rated commercials...
I was SURE that thing was gonna be blocked! There was ZERO blocking on the kick and I too thought that the 270 lb big man spooked Rayner as he went for the kick.

King_Chief_Fan
10-09-2007, 10:23 AM

I thought he did a great job trying to hook his kick around a defender who stepped over the long snapper and then stood 5 feet from his face.

Medlock couldn't kick it if there was no one on the field.

apples and oranges

gta0012
10-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Yea i agree. Looked like he kicked it away from the blocker. Which could have saved a touchdown or really good field position. And if we won that might have saved the game.

However, we didn't so it doesn't matter. :/

patteeu
10-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Yea i agree. Looked like he kicked it away from the blocker. Which could have saved a touchdown or really good field position. And if we won that might have saved the game.

However, we didn't so it doesn't matter. :/

If that's true, and it is kind of what I was thinking at the time, the head coach should have given him some cover in the post game press conference (unless Herm just didn't know exactly what happened).

StcChief
10-09-2007, 10:55 AM
If that's true, and it is kind of what I was thinking at the time, the head coach should have given him some cover in the post game press conference (unless Herm just didn't know exactly what happened). they didn't do review during game? maybe they don't have the same feed we do? (I doubt that).

ST coaches could have tipped him, unless he didn't feel it was worth discussing.

If he shanked to save the block good for him.