PDA

View Full Version : Carl's Roster Roulette

Hammock Parties
10-08-2007, 09:01 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/688475.html

Two years ago, Kansas City’s offensive line was King Kong. They terrorized NFL defenses with their power, agility and textbook-perfect blocking. Larry Johnson rushed for over 1,200 yards in nine starts. Trent Green threw the ball all over the yard despite a spare-parts wide receiver corps.

The Chiefs finished either first or second in total yards for four consecutive years, powered by the best line in the NFL.

King Kong is dead.

In place of The Beast is a group of over-30 starters who struggle to open holes in the running game. There are multiple reasons why what used to be the NFL's best unit has become a problem. The most obvious cause is losing left tackle Willie Roaf and right guard Will Shields to retirement, while middle-round offensive linemen drafted during the Dick Vermeil era failed to develop.

But there is another reason which few have recognized. Salary cap pressure forced general manager Carl Peterson to get cute with his roster in 2004. Peterson's roster games caused the Chiefs to lose John Tait and Ryan Lilja, who could have been solid replacements for Roaf and Shields.

Tait, Kansas City's first-round draft choice in 1999, was the team's starting right tackle and a free agent that year. Instead of locking him up with the franchise tag, Peterson placed the cheaper transition tag on Tait, which only gave the Chiefs the right to match contract offers from other teams. The Chicago Bears stole Tait with a $15 million roster bonus designed to bust Kansas City's salary cap.

Lilja was an un-drafted free agent in 2004 who had grown up in the Kansas City area. He was a talented player who had been behind the eight ball his entire college career, losing scholarship offers after being suspended from his high school team for a drinking incident. Lilja recovered from his problems well enough to be a three-year starter at Kansas State, and earn an invite to training camp.

Kansas City’s coaching staff liked Lilja, but had no need for a starting guard when they already had two Pro-Bowlers in Will Shields and Brian Waters. Peterson decided to waive the un-drafted Lilja and sneak him onto the practice squad. The Indianapolis Colts immediately claimed the young guard, who seized a starting job by the end of his rookie season.

These errors were not readily apparent in 2004. That season, the Chiefs led the NFL in total offense. They set an NFL record for rushing touchdowns in a single game (eight vs. the Atlanta Falcons). Trent Green threw for 4,500 yards. The offensive line was so good, even casual fans noticed the breath-taking precision of their blocks. Though the team finished with a disappointing 7-9 record, the offensive line wasn't part of the problem.

By 2007, however, these oversights have become glaring mistakes. Ryan Lilja is now a road grader for the 2006 Super Bowl Champion Indianapolis Colts. Not only would Lilja have been a solid replacement for Shields, he would have injected much-needed youth into the Kansas City line. Had the Chiefs kept Tait, Roaf's sudden retirement before the 2006 season would have prevented the team from depending on “I-65” Jordan Black. Instead, Roaf's departure grounded Kansas City's high-flying offense.

To be fair to Carl Peterson, the Chiefs had a tight cap situation in 2004. Defensive end Eric Hicks and safety Jerome Woods, whom the coaching staff viewed as two of the better players on a pitiful defense, were free agents. Priest Holmes spent the offseason screaming for money after wildly out-performing the free-agent contract he signed in 2001. Balancing salary demands on a team with eight Pro Bowlers isn't easy.

With Priest Holmes coming off the PUP (physically unable to perform) list after Week 6, Peterson is certain to play roster roulette once again. Does he bring back Holmes? Does he waive rookie running back Kolby Smith? These are the kind of decisions that NFL general managers face every day. Chiefs fans can only hope that, this time, Peterson puts his money on the right number.

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
why should anyone believe any of this s***?

Hammock Parties
10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
why should anyone believe any of this s***?

ROFL

John Tait was signed by the Chicago Bears. Yep, we made that one up.

SLAG
10-08-2007, 09:08 PM
what a waste of my time

Coach
10-08-2007, 09:11 PM
ROFL

However, King Carl deserves the blame for the O-line issues, becuase of giving Eric Hicks, Jerome Woods, and Greg Wesley those big contracts, and ignored the NFL Draft for a day 1 offensive lineman.

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
ROFL

Again you mistake accuracy for credibility. No surprise there.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Again you mistake accuracy for credibility. No surprise there.

Well, you've got me I guess. What is not credible about this article? Unless you can prove something in here is not credible, you're just talking out your ass.

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, you've got me I guess. What is not credible about this article? Unless you can prove something in here is not credible, you're just talking out your ass.

A person with no credibility posted it. I'd have a field day with you as a witness.

SLAG
10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Credible?

This is a fluff piece... seriously... no news.. no predictions... just saying "UHhh...Carl Peterson made a bad decision...he has another decision to make ...uhhh...... it might be the wrong one"

Garbage

Coach
10-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Credible?

This is a fluff piece... seriously... no news.. no predictions... just saying "UHhh...Carl Peterson made a bad decision...he has another decision to make ...uhhh...... it might be the wrong one"

Garbage

Many people come here for their Chiefs news, so we don't tolerate false news stories, even if done as a joke. Misleading thread titles can fall into this category.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/faq.php?faq=bannable#faq_faq_ban_false_thread_title

Hammock Parties
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
A person with no credibility posted it. I'd have a field day with you as a witness.

So, if I post something from the Star, does that mean a Whitlock article has no credibility? Come on.

Coach
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
So, if I post something from the Star, does that mean a Whitlock article has no credibility? Come on.

Whitlock works for a major newspaper. KC Star is a different level than WPI is.

Simplex3
10-08-2007, 09:19 PM
No, but I'm probably going to check the original link.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:19 PM

You do realize that you and the others are giving GoChiefs EXACTLY what he wants, no?

If you do realize that and are just bored, okay.

But if not, this attention is not punishing him. Quite the opposite.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Whitlock works for a major newspaper. KC Star is a different level than WPI is.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:20 PM

I disagree with Whitlock sometimes, but i know he'd honor his bet.

Simplex3
10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
You do realize that you and the others are giving GoChiefs EXACTLY what he wants, no?

Flatly ignoring him won't do any good. There are enough people on this board that will simply follow into his BS threads and feed his ego.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Flatly ignoring him won't do any good. There are enough people on this board that will simply follow into his BS threads and feed his ego.

Why do you (or those who want him banned) care what others do with regards to GoChiefs?

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:22 PM

partial boredom, but i think gochiefs needs this. It will make him a better person if he complies.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:23 PM
partial boredom, but i think gochiefs needs this. It will make him a better person if he complies.

Then it would appear that you care more about GoChiefs than I do?

Simplex3
10-08-2007, 09:24 PM
What he said.

The guy needs help. It's obvious his parents have failed him miserably. For some twisted reason GOATSE looks at this place as his group of friends. Friends shouldn't let a friend get away with only expecting bets he wins to be honored. You have two options: Honor the bets you lose or quit making bets.

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Then it would appear that you care more about GoChiefs than I do?

Probably Donger, but then again I'm a bleedin heart liberal, right? LMAO

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:26 PM
What he said.

The guy needs help. It's obvious his parents have failed him miserably. For some twisted reason GOATSE looks at this place as his group of friends. Friends shouldn't let a friend get away with only expecting bets he wins to be honored. You have two options: Honor the bets you lose or quit making bets.

AMEN.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
What he said.

stevieray was right.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2007, 09:29 PM

This is an internet forum. Please try to get a grip on reality.

Simplex3
10-08-2007, 09:30 PM
stevieray was right.
I don't want to be his dad. Him not having a job, living in his basement, masturbating to Star Wars dolls, none of these things concern me. Him polluting this board is the only one of his ills that I'm interested in correcting.

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:30 PM
This is an internet forum. Please try to get a grip on reality.

You can't be a better person? Then don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't want to be his dad. Him not having a job, living in his basement, masturbating to Star Wars dolls, none of these things concern me. Him polluting this board is the only one of his ills that I'm interested in correcting.

Then shun him. It's the only viable solution.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Probably Donger, but then again I'm a bleedin heart liberal, right? LMAO

I don't see why that is relevant. It seems that you are choosing not to follow the logical course of action, however.

a1na2
10-08-2007, 09:35 PM

If your lawyering skills are as keen as your outlook into football and politics you'd lose in a NY Minute regardless of the guys source.

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't see why that is relevant. It seems that you are choosing not to follow the logical course of action, however.

meh, I was just lashing out at the "you care more than i do" part of your post.

What's not logical about expecting someone to honor their word? I'm again stunned that you are taking GC's side on this.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:39 PM
meh, I was just lashing out at the "you care more than i do" part of your post.

What's not logical about expecting someone to honor their word? I'm again stunned that you are taking GC's side on this.

Well, you DO care more about GoChiefs than I. Obviously.

I'm not taking GoChiefs' 'side' at all. I don't think he should be banned, since he hasn't violated any of the bannable offenses.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2007, 09:40 PM

It's impressive. He's spent the last three hours railing against me with a vengeance. I didn't think I had that kind of power.

teedubya
Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher. Welcher.

banyon

I'm not taking GoChiefs' 'side' at all. I don't think he should be banned, since he hasn't violated any of the bannable offenses.

Why don't you think he should be held accountable for his promise?

Tribal Warfare
10-08-2007, 09:42 PM

ROFL

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:43 PM
ROFL

Hey. Margins count.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Why don't you think he should be held accountable for his promise?

Honestly, I don't really care enough about GoChiefs to warrant it any consideration.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
You people really should check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunning

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Honestly, I don't really care enough about GoChiefs to warrant it any consideration.

You've definitely held me to higher standards in the past, so i give up. But it's pretty clear he's in the wrong.

Simplex3
10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
If your lawyering skills are as keen as your outlook into football and politics you'd lose in a NY Minute regardless of the guys source.
Thanks for your input, Tom.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
You've definitely held me to higher standards in the past, so i give up. But it's pretty clear he's in the wrong.

And what does that fact tell you?

Coach
10-08-2007, 09:50 PM
You people really should check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunning

Matthew 18:15–17:

If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Matthew 18:15–17:

If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

I'm not Jewish.

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:51 PM
And what does that fact tell you?

That he's worthless. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be called out for that fact.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:52 PM
That he's worthless. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be called out for that fact.

If that's the case, you're giving him worth by doing so.

alanm
10-08-2007, 09:53 PM
GC invites abuse. It would be impolite of him not to accept it. :D

banyon
If that's the case, you're giving him worth by doing so.

Nah he understands and so do the Mods.

Coach
I'm not Jewish.

Doesn't mean you have to be. It's a general rule that should apply to everyone, regardless of race, gender, sex, religion, etc...

I have tried showing his faults, but he's refusing it. Then a few more members (Or at least the majority have) tried showing it, but he's still refusing it. We also done the church (or the whole board, which spilled from one single thread to nearly every thread) thing now.

Now we're just treating him like he's a pagan. And rightfully so.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Nah he understands and so do the Mods.

No. I don't think any of you understand what he needs.

Donger
10-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Now we're just treating him like he's a pagan. And rightfully so.

He is a pagan, and you're feeding him.

stevieray
10-08-2007, 09:55 PM
This is exactly why H.Rodham will be the next POTUS.

banyon
10-08-2007, 09:56 PM
No. I don't think any of you understand what he needs.

what does he need then?

Coach
He is a pagan, and you're feeding him.

No, more of like exposing him for the fraud that he is.

Coach
This is exactly why H.Rodham will be the next POTUS.

If that happens, I'm bailin out of this country.

a1na2
10-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks for your input, Tom.

Thanks for nothing simpleton.

Donger
what does he need then?

Attention.

Donger
No, more of like exposing him for the fraud that he is.

Do you really think he cares?

Coach
10-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Do you really think he cares?

Now, I think everyone seems to have a handle on who the hell he is, he should.

That being said, lets not forget that GOATSE announced that he does in fact prefer the c0ck in this very board, a short while ago.

Please, carry on.

Donger
10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Now, I think everyone seems to have a handle on who the hell he is, he should.

That being said, lets not forget that GOATSE announced that he does in fact prefer the c0ck in this very board, a short while ago.

Please, carry on.

I'll alert the media.

Surely you've considered the possibility that GoChiefs did that just to garner more attention to himself?

If GoChiefs really bothers you (all) so much, stop ineracting with him. Period. Zero activity.

Coach
10-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I'll alert the media.

Surely you've considered the possibility that GoChiefs did that just to garner more attention to himself?

If GoChiefs really bothers you (all) so much, stop ineracting with him. Period. Zero activity.

Donger, come on man.

The point is that the GoChiefs needs to do what many people expect him to do.

I cannot believe that even you (or anyone else for that matter) will go to such great lengths to deny this, no matter how silly it is, when it is actually quite clear.

You know, I am actually speaking to everyone here.

Its ok to be wrong sometimes, it really is. All he has to do is honor the pact, then problem is solved for a month, period.

Donger
10-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Donger, come on man.

The point is that the GoChiefs needs to do what many people expect him to do.

I cannot believe that even you (or anyone else for that matter) will go to such great lengths to deny this, no matter how silly it is, when it is actually quite clear.

You know, I am actually speaking to everyone here.

Its ok to be wrong sometimes, it really is. All he has to do is honor the pact, then problem is solved for a month, period.

If you can't see that what you (and others) are doing is having the exact opposite effect, I don't know what to tell you.

bringbackmarty
10-08-2007, 11:12 PM
goat talk to much, needs to quit drining athan's love juice.