PDA

View Full Version : Do you give money to beggars?

Nightwish
10-08-2007, 11:12 PM
How often do you give money to beggars, street peddlers, etc? You see them all the time on the street corners with their signs, some of them peddling pixie sticks and Famous Amos cookies, slim jims, or newspapers. Some of them walk up to you at gas stations to ask for money. How often do you donate?

Poll to follow.

BWillie
10-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Depends if they have a good gig or not. I saw this one bum one time, and he had a sign that said "I need money for booze". I gave him a few bucks for his honesty. He sounded like a good guy

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Depends if they have a good gig or not. I saw this one bum one time, and he had a sign that said "I need money for booze". I gave him a few bucks for his honesty. He sounded like a good guy

ROFL

Extra Point
10-08-2007, 11:19 PM
I'll be sure and honor his copyright!

Nightwish
10-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Hehe, at least he was honest! I remember seeing this one bum with a sign in a music video, and the sign read, "I'll fight you for food," or something to that effect. I forget which video it was. Van Halen, maybe?

BillyDaleClanton
10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Yes. I collect unemployment so I feel the need to give a little back.

Deberg_1990
10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Never. How you can be sure what they will use the money for and if they are truly in need??

I saw a local news reporter go undercover a few years ago as a beggar. He made $500 bucks in one day. People are so guillable.

ChiefaRoo
10-08-2007, 11:24 PM
I've been sending skip $50 bucks a month in fives for the past few months. I like to wipe my ass with them first and then baggie them up and send them. I don't think he notices.

pr_capone
10-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Hehe, at least he was honest! I remember seeing this one bum with a sign in a music video, and the sign read, "I'll fight you for food," or something to that effect. I forget which video it was. Van Halen, maybe?

I believe that it was the music video "Right Now" which was also the "theme song" for Pepsi Clear.

"will wrestle you for food"

Right Now - Van Halen video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WCkQZOnCN3k

Crystal Pepsi Commercial
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tign09D5IgE

Jenson71
10-08-2007, 11:31 PM
There aren't too many beggars where I live. When I was in Chicago though, I bought a $2 "please help - this is how I eat" card from a deaf woman and a postcard for $3 to help someone's hungry children.

Learning to say no is such a nice skill to know.

BWillie
10-08-2007, 11:33 PM
There aren't too many beggars where I live. When I was in Chicago though, I bought a $2 "please help - this is how I eat" card from a deaf woman and a postcard for $3 to help someone's hungry children.

Learning to say no is such a nice skill to know.

When I lived in Iowa City I just acted like I was deaf. When they would ask me if I had any money I'd just act like I knew sign language, and they'd get confused and scared or both and leave me alone.

10-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Never. How you can be sure what they will use the money for and if they are truly in need??

I saw a local news reporter go undercover a few years ago as a beggar. He made $500 bucks in one day. People are so guillable.
When I see the same guy on the same corner every friggin day? He will not EVER get a dime from me.

I personally see them as scam artists too.

TinyEvel
10-08-2007, 11:58 PM
I've thought about becoming one of those offramp/cardboard sign beggars.
Though, I'd bring my daughter with me, and we'd clean up all the garbage on the ramp, put it in a (two, three or four?) GLAD bags, and add a sign "your clean offramp, courtesy of Charlie and Sarah -- Thank you and God Bless"

$$$$
PBJ

meStevo
10-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Last time I gave a guy some change, he then got into a fist fight with the clerk in the 7-11 I went into.

Lesson learned.

The 7-11 clerk deserves my money more, they don't get paid enough to put up with the shit they have to deal with.

Bugeater
10-09-2007, 12:44 AM
No. I work too damn hard for it.

blueballs
10-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Redrum's mom is so scummy
she'll not only give you grabs
but leaches as well

angel
10-09-2007, 06:10 AM
I barely have enough money to feed myself- why would I go and give what little I have to someone else (who may or may not use the money for good)?

Simplex3
10-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Work my butt off to hand it to someone that stands around in dirty clothes all day?

No thanks. I give plenty every year to veteran's charities. If you aren't going out and getting any of the help that's out there it's because you're making a fortune on that corner.

Saulbadguy
10-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Not only no, but hell no. I just ignore them.

Easy 6
10-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Pretty much never.

I realize there are true hard luck cases, but my experience says most of those folks choose that lifestyle because of flat-out laziness, addiction or both.

Theres help available for those that want to better themselves, soup kitchens, shelters that help with job placement if the people are serious.

The guy from "Pursuit of Happiness" is a perfect example, he could have gave up & took to the streets...but he wanted better.

stevieray
10-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Every time I have cash on me.

rad
10-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Only if they don't have chicken soup in their hand.

Bearcat
10-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Every once in a long while, but never to the guy that asks for a down payment on a hamburger... not only have I heard he lives on the Plaza, he's had that gig for at least 5 years.

Phobia
10-09-2007, 07:11 AM
I always ask them if I can borrow a few bucks before they can ask me anything. Most effective solution I've encountered.

EyePod
10-09-2007, 07:17 AM
go to school in Philly... there's a necessity for saying no. The bums outside our 7-11 are there 24/7. I've been there at 2 AM for some snacks during a drunk night. I've been there at 8 AM before a test... BUMS... they're all over. I suspect that they aren't actual bums, that they live somewhere. I see this one crazy little guy and his crazy little bumwife doing oddjobs for some of the houses around where I live. Nothing like seeing a little cracked out black woman yelling "That's it! You're my ****ing black strong man!!! LIFT!!! LIFT MOTHER****ER!!!!" at the little cracked out black guy who is trying to lift the remains of a stone wall to clear the street.

I don't like bums.

chief husker
10-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Never. It just perpetuates the cycle. There is a guy here in Des Moines who has pretty good success, he was on the news last month. His sign says "Why lie? I need a beer."

beach tribe
10-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Yes. I collect unemployment so I feel the need to give a little back.
I see the unbannable has returned. Gotta love AOL.

Simplex3
10-09-2007, 07:22 AM
I see the unbannable has returned. Gotta love AOL.
I might know of a way to fix that...

Mr. Plow
10-09-2007, 07:23 AM
I used to have a WPI subscription.......so yes, yes I do.

Stewie
10-09-2007, 07:23 AM
I rarely see them. There was one dude a few years ago by Bannister Mall that had to make a killing. I went over there 2-3 times per year and he was in the same spot and I always saw people giving him money. Free money... tax free.

Simplex3
10-09-2007, 07:24 AM
I used to have a WPI subscription.......so yes, yes I do.
LMAO

Those aren't' beggars, those are THIEVES. Subtle difference.

Bowser
10-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Money? Hell no. I do offer up old bags of chips, or whatever. Suprisingly, the supposed broke starving beggars rarely accept.

runnercyclist
10-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Food yes, money no

Scaga
10-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Only time I've ever done anything, it was a homeless family, complete with two little ones. Bought a bag of cheeseburges from McD's. They were extremely appreicative. Made me feel good.

Chiefnj2
10-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Restaurant leftovers and spare change as long as they aren't obnoxious.

Demonpenz
10-09-2007, 08:18 AM
the royals cards series rolled around and I was decked out in royals gear. This bumb said. Royals are going to sweep! Give me some money we ignored him he put some kind of hex on us and was like ROYALS SUCK GO CARDS. It bothered me so much.. I couldn't have a curse of two bums. (glass and this guy who smelled like onions and crap) So i gave the dumb a dollar if he yelled go royals! We won and I saved the royals from being cursed forever "well atleast from this guy"

trndobrd
10-09-2007, 08:35 AM
I don't give money, but I'm always happy to help my fellow man.

Car broke down and need money for a tow? I'll get my Bronco and chain and tow it for you, free.

Car out of gas and need money? Let me fill up my gas can and we'll go put some gas in your car.

Need money because you can't afford medicine for the kids? Let's call child services and get them the help they need.

Will work for food? I've got lots of yard projects and plenty of canned goods.

Adept Havelock
10-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Sometimes. It depends on their attitude, the way they ask, etc.

I'm more inclined to buy a meal than give cash.

Tatertot13
10-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Only if they're missing at least two limbs.

el borracho
10-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Why the hell would I go to work every day and then give away the money? **** that! I wish it were legal to tazer them.

Frazod
10-09-2007, 08:51 AM
F#ck 'em. I've spent far too much time in Chicago to have any sympathy left for these vermin. They should either be put out of their misery or shipped off to the veggie fields. If we could get our own lazy-assed freeloaders to work, we WOULDN'T need illegal alien labor.

FAX
10-09-2007, 08:53 AM
We have a place here in Nashville called "Community Care Fellowship". It's a homeless outreach program that provides food, toiletries, clothing, and counseling to homeless persons. I keep a bunch of their cards in my wallet. That way, when a hobo asks me for help, I give him the card. He can go there to get a shower, some hot food, a change of clothes, help with finding a job, etc.

Usually, they throw the card away.

FAX

Chief Chief
10-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I never give money to bums. Stewie's right: They're not doing jack#*%@ for money that someone else has worked hard for and paid taxes on. There are sufficient charitable organizations in town to take care of these people. Give 'em money? BULL$HIT! I see that lazy a$$ Jerry Mazer about once a week. His appeal of "I'm looking for a down payment on a cheeseburger" is so annoying. He even sees me shaking my head "no" before he opens his mouth, yet he still says his lame old line to me. I feel like stating the obvious to him ("Look for a real job and work for your down payment like the rest of us noble and honorable citizens.") but others tell me basically that using ignorance is better than starting confrontations.

gblowfish
10-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Never.

If I have to get up and go to work every day, they should too.
There's no shortage of jobs for people who want to work.

banyon
10-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Depends.

The most extreme ends of the spectrum I can think of are the following:

1) When I was in Paris, I was in a McDonald's and an urchin-like 8 year old girl come in and put her hand on one of the hamburgers I had. "Man-gee...Mangee.." she pleaded. No way in hell I wasn't letting her have that burger.

2) There this dude in Downtown Lawrence, I think he's Native American who asks for money "for the bus to Topeka". Problem is he's been asking for that bus fare for 4 years. So one day I challenge him on it. I say, why don't you just walk, it's only 30 miles?" He says "Have you ever walked that far?" I say "yes". Then he storms off and says "must be nice being so wealthy". I'm never giving that guy a penny.

ROYC75
10-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I always ask them if I can borrow a few bucks before they can ask me anything. Most effective solution I've encountered.

If I feel they truely need it and I can spare a little, OK. I have seldom ever did this, If it is someone I see daily, I don't. They are capable of helping themselves if they want to.

Problem is , if they get free help, they continue to do so instead of working.

Nightwish
10-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Here, there used to be a wave of couples who would hang out in the parking lot of a local Shop 'n Save during the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The woman would wait in the car, huddled in blankets, and the man would get out and accost shoppers, asking for money "to buy gas to get to New Orleans for Christmas." It was always New Orleans, no other city. But it wasn't always the same couple, I counted at least a half a dozen different couples using the same schtick. Finally I told one of them, "If you need gas, pull over to that gas station across the street, and I'll fill you up." When they declined that offer, I said, "You know, if you're gonna sit here and bother these folks for their money, you should at least try to come up with a different story than the six who were here before you." Someone finally reported them to the police, and they stopped coming around.

eazyb81
10-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Why the hell would I give MY money to beggars? I worked for my money - why don't they try the same?

I think it's absurd that anyone gives money to these people, and I have a hard time understanding why begging for money is legal but prostitution is illegal. At least in the latter someone is performing a service.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone noticed how many more beggars there are in warmer climates than in KC? I just moved to Nashville, and they are all over the place down here, even in the really nice areas (I live across the street from Vanderbilt). I have a friend who recently moved to San Fran and he said they are all over down there too.