PDA

View Full Version : AP: Chiefs looking for fix for struggling offense

Tribal Warfare
10-09-2007, 07:27 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7316218?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Chiefs looking for fix for struggling offense
Associated Press
Posted: 3 hours ago

Quarterback Damon Huard's MRI showed no damage to his injured shoulder and the veteran may be ready to start Sunday against Cincinnati, Kansas City coach Herm Edwards said Tuesday.
"We'll go through practice (on Wednesday) and see what he can do," Edwards said. "He feels a lot better. He's worked out the last two days."

Huard, 34, got a shoulder contusion in Sunday's 17-7 loss to Jacksonville in which Kansas City rushed for only 10 yards. Backup Brodie Croyle, a second-year pro the Chiefs have been hoping to make their quarterback of the future, replaced Huard in the fourth quarter and threw a 13-yard touchdown pass on the final play.

"Damon felt OK today, but he hasn't thrown," Edwards said Tuesday. "So we'll have to see where he's at throwing the ball. And we'll go through our practice schedule like we always do. Brodie always takes a lot of (practice plays). If Damon can do it and he feels good, then he'll go."

Whoever steps in at quarterback will be directing what has been thus far one of the NFL's most feeble attacks. The Chiefs (2-3) are averaging 66 yards rushing - what used to be a decent first half for Larry Johnson.

And Johnson? The two-time Pro Bowler is 22nd in rushing with only 275 yards. He is averaging 3.3 yards per carry and hasn't scored a touchdown in five games.

Johnson has been criticized for flashes of frustration as well as his sharply declining production after missing training camp and signing a six-year, $45 million deal.

But who can blame him?

The offensive line has been getting consistently beaten. With defenses crowding up close, he frequently doesn't have a chance to get free. Against Minnesota in one particularly painful sequence, he was thrown for losses on three consecutive carries.

The big contract has not changed Johnson's style or desire, Edwards said.

"Now I think he's even more motivated," the coach said. "It's a lot of things."

Johnson has also been getting booed at home. But so has the rest of an offense that goes against Cincinnati on Sunday ranked 32nd overall in rushing, 28th overall in total offense and 30th overall in points per game.

Sure, it's too early for league rankings to take on great meaning. Those things will sort themselves out over the course of a 16-game season.

But there is no doubt the Kansas City offense is anemic. Other than signing up an entirely new offensive line, can anything be done to salvage this season?

"We've got the players we have, and they're good players," Edwards said Tuesday. "We have to define some things. We have to define things a little bit better. We have to have the ability to stick with the run and don't abandon it."

In the loss to Jacksonville, the Chiefs had one of the worst offensive days in their history. They ran for only 10 yards - second worst since the franchise began as the Dallas Texans in 1960. They had barely 200 yards of total offense until Croyle led a late 70-yard touchdown drive, culminating with a 13-yard TD pass on the final play from scrimmage that averted the first home shutout since 1994.

"We have to establish the line of scrimmage a little bit better and maybe define some runs a little bit better for us," Edwards said. "And just work on it that way. It's back to basics. It's fundamentals and techniques. It always is. You have to have confidence in practice and take it on the field and do it."

Edwards insisted the mounting frustration has not caused any locker room dissension.

"We're fine. This team's fine," he said. "There's always going to be something going on. There's a lot of teams frustrated right now. A lot of coaches frustrated.

"I have a good pulse of this football team. When there's something that needs to be said or done, I can handle it. I can handle it. Trust me."

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
"Trust me?"

Herm, you've used up any credibility you had with me.

I thought maybe you'd learned something after the Indianapolis game. I had hopes going into pre-season that with a year of getting to know the team you'd be able to do more than just run the ball up Weigman's butt (damn near said Grunny's butt - I see you learned well from Marty). I thought you'd give the new QB a chance to take a few lumps and be a seasoned QB by the end of the year.

Nope.

You've shown you couldn't find your butt with both hands given a map.

Trust you?

Nope.

Prove to me that I CAN trust you.

Bob Dole
10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
MRI showed no damage.

So the options are...

Huard is a giant pussy.

Huard threw an INT and wanted the hell off the field.

Huard thought Croyle could provide a spark and knew the coaches weren't going to pull the trigger, so he "took one for the team".

Did Bob Dole miss any options?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
People at the sports bar Sunday noted that Huard didn't grab his shoulder or act hurt until AFTER he knew the ball was intercepted.

Then it was "Oh, God, let's make an excuse quick!"

(Note: These were not Chiefs fans, so they had no axe to grind one way or the other.)

Easy 6
10-09-2007, 07:36 PM
MRI showed no damage.

So the options are...

Huard is a giant pussy.

Huard threw an INT and wanted the hell off the field.

Huard thought Croyle could provide a spark and knew the coaches weren't going to pull the trigger, so he "took one for the team".

Did Bob Dole miss any options?

I honestly like what i know about Damon the guy, which makes me think #3 is dead on.

Rasputin
10-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I never trust anybody who says "Trust me"

:shake:

Zouk
10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Herm, you've used up any credibility you had with me.

I thought maybe you'd learned something after the Indianapolis game. I had hopes going into pre-season that with a year of getting to know the team you'd be able to do more than just run the ball up Weigman's butt
Nope.

43 passes, 10 runs.

Skip Towne
10-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Put Brodie in and watch all our problems disappear. Trust me.

PastorMikH
10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
The one thing that has helped me get over the embarassment I saw sunday was the thought that Huard is hurt and most likely out for sunday which would put Croyle in as the starter.

Both times this year that Croyle saw the field he came in, took the same O that Huard had struggled with and made it click.

I drove 100 miles one way today shopping for a new DVD recorder because the one we have won't timer record and I wanted to make sure and get the entire game of Croyle's first NFL start.

Well, if Herm is going to conitinue being an idiot and not playing the better players, I have one thing to say, GO COWBOYS!

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
43 passes, 10 runs.

I'm talking about our running game, dipstick. What happened to the trap? What happened to the sweep? What happened to the play action pass? What happened to anything other than hand it to LJ or Bennett and watch them get swallowed up by three linemen before they can get the ball tucked away.

Where's the imagination?

Yes, I realized we threw a boat load of passes on Sunday. Much to my pained eyes, I watched every second of that abysmal effort by the Chiefs last Sunday. And, except for a few exceptions (like the first drive), our passing was ineffectual and usually short of the necessary line of gain to get another series of downs, therefore putting an already ineffectual defense (geez, Law, did you ever think that when they only need five yards, giving someone an eight yard cushion is going to let them have a first down?) right back on the field.

We were also playing from behind most of the game (as usual) which tends to force us to throw the ball because God knows we can't run block for crap.

GarySpFc
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Put Brodie Croyle and Bobby Sippio in for a change, and let the good times begin.

Hammock Parties
10-09-2007, 09:29 PM
What happened to the trap?

We've run that.

What happened to the sweep?

We've run that.

What happened to the play action pass?

We ran a play action pass on the first play of the Jacksonville game.

Are you blind or something?

Hootie
10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
we ran the PA pass 80% of the game against Jacksonville...

shit, that was THE ONLY thing working on offense for us.

Deberg_1990
10-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Why cant people just accept that we got beat by a superior team??

Hammock Parties

Because they want to blame the coaching staff as much as possible. Any loss, all the Herm Haters come out of the woodwork.

Mecca

After we lose to Cincy they'll magically become a top 5 team in the conference...

Hammock Parties
10-09-2007, 09:39 PM
After we lose to Cincy they'll magically become a top 5 team in the conference...

If we lose to Cincy, we really suck. That'd be two straight losses at home, and one to a team with no defense. I'd actually start advocating Croyle as the permanent starter if we lose next week. No joke.

Zouk
10-09-2007, 09:40 PM
What happens in the game is immaterial - if we lose it is ALWAYS the playcaller's fault - and he's ALWAYS too conservative.

Mecca
10-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I'd like to know how a team that unless it gets 4 turnovers struggles to score 20 points is going to beat one of the best offensive teams in the league...

The major weakness in the defense is the safeties, deep down the field.....Palmer is awesome at deep throws...

tk13
10-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I think Jacksonville is legitimately a top 5 team in the AFC. I think that speaks more to the level of play in the AFC, but it is what it is. I don't think there's any way you can name 5 better teams in the AFC right now... unless you include the Chargers, which doesn't fly until they have a winning record.

Cincy's defense has been terrible. We should be able to do some positive things this week. If we get shutout this week, we're in deep trouble.

Mecca
10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I think Jacksonville is legitimately a top 5 team in the AFC. I think that speaks more to the level of play in the AFC, but it is what it is. I don't think there's any way you can name 5 better teams in the AFC right now... unless you include the Chargers, which doesn't fly until they have a winning record.

Cincy's defense has been terrible. We should be able to do some positive things this week. If we get shutout this week, we're in deep trouble.

This is the week the offense looks better and the Chiefs get 24 points, problem is this is also the week a team with the talent exposes the Chiefs defense and scores 30+.

Hootie
10-09-2007, 09:52 PM
This is the week the offense looks better and the Chiefs get 24 points, problem is this is also the week a team with the talent exposes the Chiefs defense and scores 30+.
I'll make another bet with you...

If Cincy wins, I leave for a month.
If KC wins, you leave for a month.

Deal?

Mecca
10-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Why does everyone want to bet with me?

I think the Chiefs can possibly win this game....but this isn't the "hey this team sucks" slam dunk win some people think it is.....

Other teams look at the Chiefs like that too right now...

Hootie
10-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Why does everyone want to bet with me?

I think the Chiefs can possibly win this game....but this isn't the "hey this team sucks" slam dunk win some people think it is.....

Other teams look at the Chiefs like that too right now...
back your boy Palmer...

The Chiefs are going to win this game.

They match up very nicely to the Bengals...

Rudi sucks, and Palmer won't be able to pick apart this defense.

Their defense is bad...

We win 30-20.

Mecca
10-09-2007, 10:00 PM
back your boy Palmer...

The Chiefs are going to win this game.

They match up very nicely to the Bengals...

Rudi sucks, and Palmer won't be able to pick apart this defense.

Their defense is bad...

We win 30-20.

Whoa Whoa Whoa.....

This QB and these WRs should take a giant shit on the secondary, Andre Johnson sure did.....hell we got burned by Dennis Northcutt.

Defense is bad, but they create turnovers and they will obviously stack up in the box. I don't see how this is a slam dunk game, they won't hold this team under 24, I just don't see it.

Tribal Warfare
10-09-2007, 10:00 PM
We win 30-20.

With Croyle, not with St. Huard

Logical
10-09-2007, 10:21 PM
If we start Huard I am turning the game off for lack of interest. There is no future in Huard.

Hammock Parties
10-09-2007, 10:30 PM
If we start Huard I am turning the game off for lack of interest. There is no future in Huard.

You know damn well you will watch you addicted Chiefs fan.

Logical
10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
You know damn well you will watch you addicted Chiefs fan.

Sadly you are probably right but I will turn it off then turn it back on again.:harumph:ROFL

boogblaster
10-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Yes I'll watch Im a homer ... but could we least play with some heart and a little bit of football savy... If you're out-matched play 110%, hussle makes up for talent sometimes ...

BigMeatballDave
10-10-2007, 12:20 AM
If we lose to Cincy, we really suck. That'd be two straight losses at home, and one to a team with no defense. I'd actually start advocating Croyle as the permanent starter if we lose next week. No joke.Well, get ready to throw Huard under the bus...

Hootie
10-10-2007, 01:06 AM
I don't care who starts if the Chiefs win....they can sign Lawrence Tynes to play QB and if the Chiefs win that's ok with me...

luv
10-10-2007, 01:19 AM
Well, get ready to throw Huard under the bus...
I think he means that, if we can't beat Cincy at home, there's really no use in hoping for a spot in the post season. Weird how we can dominate San Diego on the road, and then completely blow it against Jacksnville at home.

Mecca
10-10-2007, 01:22 AM
I think he means that, if we can't beat Cincy at home, there's really no use in hoping for a spot in the post season. Weird how we can dominate San Diego on the road, and then completely blow it against Jacksnville at home.

San Diego turned it over 4 times, we got none against the Jags, if this team doesn't creative multiple turnovers they can't score much....

Honest question do you all really want playoffs? It'd likely be the same result as last year...

luv
10-10-2007, 01:28 AM
San Diego turned it over 4 times, we got none against the Jags, if this team doesn't creative multiple turnovers they can't score much....

Honest question do you all really want playoffs? It'd likely be the same result as last year...
I wasn't expecting playoffs at the start of the year. It would be a pleasant surprise though. What I have noticed is that we have been getting a lot of penalties lately. Both offensive and defensive. How many of LJ's yards have been taken away due to penalties? How many yards have opponents gained due to our penalties?

kcxiv
10-10-2007, 01:44 AM
I wil take the play offs. I know i wont expect to go far, but any given sunday i guess. I dont think we will make it that far though.

I will root for the Chiefs to win every single game. I kind of want Huard to suck though. I am ready for a QB change. I dont see why not isnt a great time.

Tiger's Fan
10-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Herm: "I am not a crook"

TEX
10-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Dump Herm - fix offense.

FYI - I'm betting the Bengals have plenty of defense to stop our offense.

FloridaMan88
10-10-2007, 11:50 AM

Do you accept that as the excuse for losses to Chicago and Houston as well?

Chiefnj2
10-10-2007, 12:02 PM

The only reason not to want playoffs is the belief that KC will get a better draft spot and get better draft picks. Do you really think the Chiefs will benefit that much more from a top 15 draft pick than say the 25th pick?

GarySpFc
10-11-2007, 05:17 AM
If we lose to Cincy, we really suck. That'd be two straight losses at home, and one to a team with no defense. I'd actually start advocating Croyle as the permanent starter if we lose next week. No joke.

That needs to be tatooed on your butt.