PDA

View Full Version : The national stage...

Rain Man
10-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I was a bit staggered by this. Seinfeld is making $60 million a year? Ten years after the show ended? That's incredible.

I think America in the 21st century is a unique marketplace. We have major mass media, worldwide distribution, and a very large population to consume things on a national level. It appears that if a person can get onto a celebrity stage at a national level, the money reaches astronomical amounts very quickly.

I'm fine with a person making that much money if that's the way the economics turns out. It's just somewhat staggering.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=279147

Forbes Lists the Top-Earning Comedians
Oct. 11, 2007, 12:05 PM EST
By Lacey Rose, Forbes.com

Jerry Seinfeld's television show hasn't been on the air for nearly a decade. But he's still the top-earning comedian in America because of it.

Thanks to residuals from the show's juicy syndication deal, Seinfeld earned $60 million last year, putting him far ahead No. 2 David Letterman, who made $40 million, and No. 3 Ben Stiller, who banked $38 million. But Seinfeld's income doesn't come from past work alone -- he's parlayed his fame into packed houses across the United States, revisiting his stand-up roots for big money.

[I cut out the rest of the article, which was about other comedians.]

stevieray
10-11-2007, 06:13 PM
It would be nice if the talent level was parallel to the money.

Deberg_1990
10-11-2007, 06:18 PM
It would be nice if the talent level was parallel to the money.

Thats almost never the case.

Popularity doesnt always = Talent

Rain Man
10-11-2007, 06:25 PM
You don't think Jerry Seinfeld is more talented than 2,000 recent college graduates?

I think the interesting part of that relationship is that the money goes up exponentially at a certain point. Person A with a smidge more talent than Person B gets on the national market money elevator and makes 1,000 times more money.

HemiEd
10-11-2007, 06:29 PM
I loved his threat of buying NBC the other night, reminded me of the Chevy Chase scene.

Demonpenz
10-11-2007, 06:36 PM
he is the worst one on his own show

Delano
10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Even more perplexing is Ben Stiller's success. What a tool!

Rain Man
10-11-2007, 07:50 PM
I'd never even heard of a couple of the guys on that list. Dane Cook? Vince Vaughn? THOSE are the highest paid comedians in America? Who the heck are they?

Craqhead
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
I'd never even heard of a couple of the guys on that list. Dane Cook? Vince Vaughn? THOSE are the highest paid comedians in America? Who the heck are they?

Vince Vaughn was in Wedding Crashers... he was sleeping w/Jennifer Aniston.

MahiMike
10-11-2007, 08:31 PM
I still can't believe Larry the cable guy and foxworthy are on any list. Dane Cook is very funny though. Vince Vaughn - meh.

Smed1065
10-11-2007, 09:10 PM
You know what they say, **** them if they can't take a joke and joke'm if they cant take a ..........

Extra Point
10-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey! And what's this Chiefs Planet? Is it where the Chiefs plan it? Why would the Chiefs have a plan? They once had a five year plan, and it came and went. Where'd the plan go?

And why do they need a plan? They've gone without a plan for more than 12 years! That's the lifespan of a cat, and a very FAT cat, mind you!

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Dane Cook is an epic douchebag whose average audience of 2000 has 1800 Hooties in it.

Extra Point
10-11-2007, 10:05 PM
And what's with this Hootie guy, anyway?

Hammock Parties
10-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Dane Cook is an epic douchebag whose average audience of 2000 has 1800 Hooties in it.

he's also a material stealer... him and mencia...

KCChiefsMan
10-12-2007, 02:03 AM
well deserved for the star of the best TV sitcom of all time. For those that say Seinfeld sucks, well you can just stick to your Friends show type humor.

Fishpicker
10-12-2007, 02:19 AM
Seinfeld is decent. keep an eye out for Larry David's 19 cameos

mcan
10-12-2007, 03:07 AM
Speaking of Dane Cook stealing material... The guy who people claim he stole from (mostly) is an extremely funny guy: Louis CK. The guy has always been pretty funny, but he struck gold with "Shameless" and was able to land an HBO series called "Lucky Louis" that relies heavily on his standup and anti-PC take on the typical family. Check him out if you like edgy humor that makes you cover your mouth and think: "Oh my God, I can't believe he just said that."

A couple of others that really get me roaring are Zach Galifianakis, Eddie Izzard, David Cross, Sarah Silverman, George Carlin, and Billy Connely.

stevieray
10-12-2007, 05:30 AM
well deserved for the star of the best TV sitcom of all time. For those that say Seinfeld sucks, well you can just stick to your Friends show type humor.

both shows suck.

DaKCMan AP
10-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Speaking of Dane Cook stealing material... The guy who people claim he stole from (mostly) is an extremely funny guy: Louis CK. The guy has always been pretty funny, but he struck gold with "Shameless" and was able to land an HBO series called "Lucky Louis" that relies heavily on his standup and anti-PC take on the typical family. Check him out if you like edgy humor that makes you cover your mouth and think: "Oh my God, I can't believe he just said that."

A couple of others that really get me roaring are Zach Galifianakis, Eddie Izzard, David Cross, Sarah Silverman, George Carlin, and Billy Connely.

Lucky Louie was hilarious!

I'm glad to see Zach Galifianakis is on your list. Out Cold is one of my favorite movies of all time. A couple of years ago the Comedians of Comedy tour came to Gainesville and my friends and I stood front row center stage for a few hour show of Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt and Brian Posehn. Amazing!